grinding frontlines events

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Tokolosk #1 Posted May 20 2019 - 16:52

Sergeant

• Players
  • 11216 battles
  • [SADD] SADD

Is Wargaming calculating and intentionally making these events impossible for the casual gamer?

Like they say: make a hobby your job and you will remove all the enjoyment from it. Same with these very grindy events - it becomes a second job.

I'm a casual player, at most able to put in 1.5 hours a day if I force myself. Yet I still pay premium and occasionally I buy stuff from the shop.

Yet I am finding that it is impossible to grind for the top prizes for any of the events from the past year. To get these a player has to put in an excessive amount of effort - even for the top unicum players.

I'm not a terrible player, nor am I great. As an example, for Frontlines I'm only barely managing a prestige level per week. Because of real-life commitments I missed one month so I'm only level 3 and I don't see myself getting to Prestige X without sacrificing a whole weekend. Chances are I will miss at least another month or two in the future.

The same with a lot of other events, even Quickybaby showing us how hard it is for him.

I don't see why some of these events can be made less grinding without removing the accomplishment of getting the reward too much. There are both non-revenue and revenue generating solutions.

Taking Frontline as an example:

Non-revenue

* Extend each frontline episode to include both starting and ending weekends. E.g. this episode could have started on Saturday the 10th till Monday the 20th. This gives the casual player just a little more time to get the prestige.

* Add long term missions to get these rewards after the event is finished, like the current ones.

* Extend the event for a longer

Revenue-generating

* Sell rank boosters that help give +25%, +50% rank points for x hours.

* Allow players to purchase a prestige point

* Discount the tank based on prestige level (like you've done in the past)

Devildog8 #2 Posted May 20 2019 - 17:05

Major

• Players
  • 11075 battles
  • [CRZY] CRZY
They are made for basement dwellers 

Blucraft #3 Posted May 20 2019 - 17:20

Captain

• Players
  • 9054 battles

It's almost like they want you got "purchase" something to ease the grind :sceptic:...

-Blu

PTwr #4 Posted May 20 2019 - 17:21

Major

• Players
  • 44722 battles
  • [BITSA] BITSA
Dont worry, you can count on them to sell Prestige at the end ;)

WhineMaker #5 Posted May 20 2019 - 17:22

Major

• Players
  • 37299 battles
  • [WHAAA] WHAAA

Excuse me...

Some of us dwell in their Grandma's attic... :P

As to OP's concern, it could be WG's attempts to retain the server population with the marathon events... 

golruul #6 Posted May 20 2019 - 17:39

Captain

• Players
  • 22080 battles

I think they could tone it down just a tad bit, but not drastically.

I'm usually putting in 2-2.5 hours a day for Frontlines.  I just hit prestige 5 and I average Major rank.  I think WG could adjust the goals so 1.25-1.75 hours a day at Major rank would be enough to get to prestige 10.

Garandster #7 Posted May 20 2019 - 17:40

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 5830 battles

It's easy to get something, but difficult to get everything. Some people get everything, some don't. Play till your no longer have time or fun and collect your rewards at the end.

Selling prestige or the two exclusive tanks for the mode would be absolute BS and really PO the players who actually put a lot of time into the game and keep the population up. The whole point of having exclusive rewards is to incentivize people to play the mode.

I_QQ_4_U #8 Posted May 20 2019 - 17:41

Major

• -Players-
  • 21800 battles
If anything they do them so the casual player has a chance. Events where you just grind XP are easy as hell, anyone can do them if they put in the time, events that require much harder results would be impossible for tomato players and very hard for most others. So what do you want them to do, just give us the two tanks? If you want easy don't expect to get rewards like that.

Volkbane #9 Posted May 20 2019 - 19:16

Sergeant

• Players
  • 23115 battles
  • [I-N-C] I-N-C
There is a balance to strike and I think if you go too far in the direction of making it easy for everyone then the reward at the end loses its value.  Look at World of Warcraft--I remember back in the day you practically had to sell your life and soul to get in a good raiding guild and get rewards you could take pride in.  Nowadays you can log in, fart around for a few minutes a day and be festooned with epic gear and mounts.  Not saying everything should be a grindfest mind you, just that I think its good there are some things that are difficult to get and you feel good, and want to show them off if you finally do.

YANKEE137 #10 Posted May 20 2019 - 19:25

Major

• -Players-
  • 13559 battles
  • [6-ACR] 6-ACR
Look at it this way; Bonds were designed to be the ultimate grinding experience,  but now that Ranked Battles have been cancelled there's a gaping hole in the rewards system. Who knows how they'll handle it ? People are still gonna want those 907's and Chieftains etc. 

Edited by YANKEE137, May 20 2019 - 19:26.

Bonfor #11 Posted May 20 2019 - 19:57

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 575 battles

View PostGarandster, on May 20 2019 - 08:40, said:

It's easy to get something, but difficult to get everything. Some people get everything, some don't. Play till your no longer have time or fun and collect your rewards at the end.

Selling prestige or the two exclusive tanks for the mode would be absolute BS and really PO the players who actually put a lot of time into the game and keep the population up. The whole point of having exclusive rewards is to incentivize people to play the mode.

Anymore with F2P models, they either let you get something for free if you play/grind enough, or they have an alternative way for you to pay for it.  Look at what WG did with Warships' steel currency...previously it was exclusive to clans from playing clan battles and used to buy exclusive ships, but then they released a set of missions that you could pay real money for to earn steel without playing in clan battles, and steel also became a random prize in crates.  Now with the cancellation of Ranked Battles, the door is wide open for them to monetize the "alternate" ways of getting bonds out to players.

In many ways, to keep things exclusive to those that have the time and patience to earn them, the monthly subscription model that was common when MMOs first came out was a better way to do that...with F2P games, it's too easy for them to monetize shortcuts when they are lacking in monthly revenue.

Jryder #12 Posted May 20 2019 - 20:28

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 13910 battles

This is no different than any other event they have ever held, which is why I seldom participate in the events. FL is really the first WoT event I have participated in. It takes time (which I have) and doesn't require Elite skills (which i don't).

If you want the prizes, you must put in the time. Why should anyone be allowed to circumvent that? Doing so, while possibly providing short term gains for WG, would absolutely piss off a huge chunk of what's left of the player base (like myself).

Tokolosk #13 Posted May 20 2019 - 21:09

Sergeant

• Players
  • 11216 battles
  • [SADD] SADD

View Postgolruul, on May 20 2019 - 18:39, said:

I think they could tone it down just a tad bit, but not drastically.

I'm usually putting in 2-2.5 hours a day for Frontlines.  I just hit prestige 5 and I average Major rank.  I think WG could adjust the goals so 1.25-1.75 hours a day at Major rank would be enough to get to prestige 10.

This is probably the best summary of what I was trying to get at. If they toned it down just a little it allows casual gamers to still put in the effort and get the reward, without it being so over the top. 

View PostGarandster, on May 20 2019 - 18:40, said:

View PostJryder, on May 20 2019 - 21:28, said:

This is no different than any other event they have ever held, which is why I seldom participate in the events. FL is really the first WoT event I have participated in. It takes time (which I have) and doesn't require Elite skills (which i don't).

If you want the prizes, you must put in the time. Why should anyone be allowed to circumvent that? Doing so, while possibly providing short term gains for WG, would absolutely piss off a huge chunk of what's left of the player base (like myself).

WG in a recent event had two different ways of getting the reward, which opens up possibilities. What I'm trying to advocate but having difficulty explaining is that they could find a different way of grinding that doesn't require [excessive] time in a small time frame. 

For instance (and I'm just throwing this out there), between FL seasons, platooning with a newbie and helping them grind enough XP to get a T8 tank for Frontlines; giving you +1 Prestige points and a further +1 if they become a premium account holder. Minimal conditions apply. This lets us take a new player, help them get the tank and in turn they participate in FL. A win for the newbie, a win for the causal player and a win for WG.

AnArmyofBun #14 Posted May 20 2019 - 21:12

Major

• Players
  • 11998 battles
  • [SUX] SUX
I played maybe like, an hour a day this week every day and hit prestige with a day to spare.

WhineMaker #15 Posted May 20 2019 - 21:14

Major

• Players
  • 37299 battles
  • [WHAAA] WHAAA

View PostTokolosk, on May 20 2019 - 12:09, said:

For instance (and I'm just throwing this out there), between FL seasons, platooning with a newbie and helping them grind enough XP to get a T8 tank for Frontlines; giving you +1 Prestige points and a further +1 if they become a premium account holder. Minimal conditions apply. This lets us take a new player, help them get the tank and in turn they participate in FL. A win for the newbie, a win for the causal player and a win for WG.

This is already in place, called the Refer a Reroll Friend. Both players get a premium tank(referer a tier 8, the referee a tier 6-7) upon completion of the contract... 

golruul #16 Posted May 20 2019 - 21:50

Captain

• Players
  • 22080 battles

View PostAnArmyofBun, on May 20 2019 - 14:12, said:

I played maybe like, an hour a day this week every day and hit prestige with a day to spare.

Yeah, no, that's not happening.

30500 total points to advance prestige.  If you get general every single game (1200), it'll take 26 games.  At 25 minutes average per game, that's 10.84 hours.  Even if you put in 1.5 hours per day for 6 days, that still isn't happening.

rockbadger #17 Posted May 21 2019 - 15:31

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 16118 battles
  • [1TANK] 1TANK
It's in Wargaming's best interests to get you to hit the battle button as much as possible.  WOT has no real PvE content, so they rely on players loading in to battles to create content for the other players.  That's why they love these grind events.  They get you to hit the battle button one more time, you get a chance at a prize.  Without players, WOT goes away.

nuclearguy931 #18 Posted May 21 2019 - 15:43

Major

• Players
  • 80963 battles
  • [UMM] UMM
No one's arm is being twisted to do any of the missions or marathons.

RacWisco #19 Posted May 21 2019 - 17:20

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 72917 battles
  • [MOOBS] MOOBS

View PostTokolosk, on May 20 2019 - 15:52, said:

Is Wargaming calculating and intentionally making these events impossible for the casual gamer?

Like they say: make a hobby your job and you will remove all the enjoyment from it. Same with these very grindy events - it becomes a second job.

I'm a casual player, at most able to put in 1.5 hours a day if I force myself. Yet I still pay premium and occasionally I buy stuff from the shop.

Yet I am finding that it is impossible to grind for the top prizes for any of the events from the past year. To get these a player has to put in an excessive amount of effort - even for the top unicum players.

I'm not a terrible player, nor am I great. As an example, for Frontlines I'm only barely managing a prestige level per week. Because of real-life commitments I missed one month so I'm only level 3 and I don't see myself getting to Prestige X without sacrificing a whole weekend. Chances are I will miss at least another month or two in the future.

The same with a lot of other events, even Quickybaby showing us how hard it is for him.

I don't see why some of these events can be made less grinding without removing the accomplishment of getting the reward too much. There are both non-revenue and revenue generating solutions.

Taking Frontline as an example:

Non-revenue

* Extend each frontline episode to include both starting and ending weekends. E.g. this episode could have started on Saturday the 10th till Monday the 20th. This gives the casual player just a little more time to get the prestige.

* Add long term missions to get these rewards after the event is finished, like the current ones.

* Extend the event for a longer

Revenue-generating 

* Sell rank boosters that help give +25%, +50% rank points for x hours.

* Allow players to purchase a prestige point

* Discount the tank based on prestige level (like you've done in the past)

Let me get this straight. So the players who play more for whatever reason, thereby keeping the server populated possibly spending more real money shouldn't get a reward that the casual 5 games a week player cant have? Everyone gets a trophy! Huzzah!

SargeanTravis #20 Posted May 21 2019 - 17:21

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 2467 battles
  • [FUBU] FUBU

Meh, the rewards for FLs for each game played is enough to not worry about the reward tanks and such. Besides, Tier 6 is my sweet spot in terms of favorite tanks!

Edit: I do have to say that the Marathons are a bit over the top, but let's be honest. We're talking Tier 8 premiums at stake here. They SHOULD be over the top

Edited by SargeanTravis, May 21 2019 - 17:22.

Also tagged with grinding, frontlines, events

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users