New Players = No Help

New Player Experience

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

dunniteowl #21 Posted May 21 2019 - 15:40

Major

• -Players-
  • 29246 battles

I started off in 2014 as a FTPP.  As I recall it, I had a starting amount of Gold at 500 and credits of 1,000,000?  There was no "Enter Boot Camp," "Proving Grounds" or "Bonus" anything.  My crews were 50% starter crews in the 7 tier I tanks I got (One tier I for each nation in being at the time).

I don't recall Getting the reward for "Enter Boot Camp" as I was already "too experienced" to do more than play it once and get that extra tank at tier I and II.  So I don't know how much More You get from doing the "Tutorial" than my starting amounts listed above (and I could be wrong, they might have been a touch higher than that).

I have never been so 'credit hungry' poor in all this time that I couldn't buy most of what I was interested in having except when I was at tiers I and II, because I couldn't 'afford' 500,000 for a module like a Gun Rammer.  That's not being credit poor, though, that's simply not being able to afford to throw every bell and whistle on a tier I or II tank, which is a little different.  

You CAN select, in "Enter Boot Camp," which nation you wish to 'receive' when you finish what I call "The Demo Battle" with you in an unbeatable Sherman compared to the lower tier units you are paired with and pitted against.  Immediately after this first "Battle" this screen comes up:

Posted Image

When the screen comes up, you are already defaulted to the US Line.  So if you want a different line, you have to select: Change Reward.  When you do, you get these three options:

The US Line:

Posted Image

The German Line:

Posted Image

and the 

Russian Line:

Posted Image

to choose from researching or following.

Lastly, I am pretty sure that the "Enter Boot Camp" process ends with an additional amount of credits and leftover Gold as well as some Premium Time the first time you go through it, does it not?  So this would be in ADDITION to the starting amounts of Gold and Credits someone who didn't click the "Enter Boot Camp," tutorial, yes?  Isn't "Enter Boot Camp" Optional for the New Player?   Even so, by completing it you get some extra stuff in addition to the very marginal training one gets relative to it's overall utility in playing actual matches against people. 

That's better than it was before.  Maybe not by leaps and bounds, though still better.

I think folks with credit flow issues early on in the game have shown a level of impatience that has caught them unable to earn the credits necessary to continue forward up a line.  I think this is a sort of 'environmental limit' on failing one's way to the top as a FTPP.  (Free To Play Pubbie).

Unfortunately, WGs 'solution' to this natural environmental braking process in the game that prevents low skill New Players from advancing into 'deeper' waters has been to encourage you to open your wallet, yank out that credit card number and get PAYING, baaaBeee!  So the 'natural braking' effect of someone outspending their funds ahead of their ability to generate it requires them to go slower, develop more skills, their Crews, learn how to play better to earn more XP and Credits so that they can outfit their tanks, use Free XP, win Gold, win tanks, win stuff, get more stuff and while doing that, become better players overall.

WG could have let that be the case with natural 'salmon ladders' that even paying players would have to 'climb' as they make their way up tier, such as achieving some sort of minimum mastery of each tank at its tier as well as unlocking them through research.  Sort of like the old Wing Commander Missions.  You'd have to reach a level of proficiency and succeed at a mission before you were able to be 'promoted' to the next level of space fighter.  WG could have invoked some sort of 'Skill Bar' like having to have scored at least a 2nd Class Mastery in the tank as an additional 'lock' on the next tank in line.  At least that way, you could say they were proven 'competent' to operate that tank before moving on to the next one.

I digress.

I thought the Proving Grounds that came before Enter Boot Camp was more fun.  I also think that the New Player would benefit from a mix of having to go through the Enter Boot Camp that included more "Random Battles" with steadily improving BOT opponents as well as team mates as they progressed through to tier IV.

Something like:

1)  Brand New Player:

Logs in first time and is taken to Enter Boot Camp Automatically.

a) Welcome to World of Tanks intro

b) First Basic Tutorial -- the WASD and Mouse controls, moving around and aiming at things, tier I.

c) Tour the Garage -- a guided tour of the garage and all the other pages available while not in game.  What all the things are and show you.

d) First "Demo" Battle (I believe there should be a chance for losing the 'demo' battle, because that would indicate the player needs to step up).

And so forth to the end of the first Enter Boot Camp section where you get your extra Crew/Tank(s), Gold, Credits and Premium time.  When you get your first tier III unit, I think it should 'yank you back' to something more like Proving Grounds as part of Enter Boot Camp: Part Two.

In this section of Missions, this is where you would be required to learn how to angle armor.  Avoid being spotted.  Are shown how to understand vision and spotting, armor and penetration and techniques to increase your potential to survive during those matches.  Then each "training mission" has, as its objective, a requirement to say, bounce X amount of damage AND spot Y amount of vehicles without being spotted.  Stuff like that.

I believe that once those are completed (and there should be like, maybe six to eight matches that specifically require you to achieve certain levels of damage, spots, bounced damage, kills made, etc) then you get another small infusion of Credits, maybe a bit of Gold AND possibly two or three pieces of Complex Equipment for module slots to say, "Congrats for taking the time."

I don't know if this is remotely in line with your OPs intent.  It's what I have.

The New Player Experience is one of the most crucial to ensure is decent, challenging and rewarding, both in terms of having to go through it and get something out of it 'materially' in the form of extras and get something out of it that will benefit YOU as a playing tanker in the experience YOU actually get in learning more about how the game works and some indication of how deeply complex the game really is.

My ONE complaint, true complaint, with WG is the total PAUCITY of Official Training and Experience Guides for New Players.  I don't want there to be a PvE battle grounds for players to use instead of playing other people.  I do think we REQUIRE better and more comprehensive, BOT assisted training for players so that they understand MORE than what we have seen so far.

And that can ONLY come from having a decent and serious conversation about what it might take, beyond awards, rewards and discounts, to keep New Players wanting to keep playing.  I think the SINGLE BEST SOURCE for this potential retention/enjoyment enhancement would come in the form of a much more vigorous and rigorous Training Section that encourages New Players to learn how the game mechanics work while they also learn how to combat increasingly more sophisticated BOTs to prepare them for playing other people.

Hope this is at all in line with your intent, OP.

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO

Edited by dunniteowl, May 21 2019 - 16:12.

4TankersAndDog #22 Posted May 22 2019 - 18:31

Major

• -Players-
  • 26687 battles
  • [122MM] 122MM

Great discussion, forwarded it to WG.

Have other CCs published their invite codes yet?  Everybody got one and they are all different, some with interesting higher tier vehicles, some with equipment or boosters, etc...I actually have the list but I'm not going to steal anybody's thunder.

Edited by 4TankersAndDog, May 22 2019 - 18:34.

GWyatt #23 Posted May 23 2019 - 01:27

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 3827 battles
  • [VAN] VAN
Yes, several CCs that I watch on occasion have their codes out. Glad to see you've got yours out. I do like the idea that each CC could setup different items that the new player would get when using their code. That gives a new player some choices.

HellsB3lls #24 Posted May 23 2019 - 07:01

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 1769 battles

Great thread. I'm glad to see that so many veterans are thinking about ways to make it a little easier to get inducted into WoT. The pain of being a noob is still very fresh for me ... seeing as how I'm still feeling it. But things are gradually getting better. Although at times I still have to take a couple of days away from the game because it can get so disheartening. I hope WG will look seriously at this thread and think about taking some action.

I can understand that WG won't do bot battles due to the server-time requirements but it would help if T1-T3 were separated from T4+, regarding the crew disparities that are allowed. It's frustrating to play against players with 20k to 50k battle experience, when you're just trying to get your legs under you.

4TankersAndDog, thanks for posting that video. I'm about half way through your Where The F to Go series (which is great) but it's refreshing, as a potato, to see low tier tanks being played with plain old fashioned skill, rather than higher tier tanks with multi-skill crews. That's my biggest complaint about watching YT to learn how to play better; most unicums (that I've found) only show replays of tricked-out crews in T8-T10 tanks. Doesn't help much, for someone like me that has only one commander with 6th sense. It's also helpful when you mention the little things in the moment, like "just locked in my auto-aim ..". That's something that I'm remembering to do more often than I used to. I didn't even know about it until I had about 500 battles in (actually I think it was mentioned in boot camp, but I forgot about it ...TMI).

dunniteowl #25 Posted May 23 2019 - 14:23

Major

• -Players-
  • 29246 battles

View PostHellsB3lls, on May 23 2019 - 00:01, said:

Great thread. I'm glad to see that so many veterans are thinking about ways to make it a little easier to get inducted into WoT. The pain of being a noob is still very fresh for me ... seeing as how I'm still feeling it. But things are gradually getting better. Although at times I still have to take a couple of days away from the game because it can get so disheartening. I hope WG will look seriously at this thread and think about taking some action.

I can understand that WG won't do bot battles due to the server-time requirements but it would help if T1-T3 were separated from T4+, regarding the crew disparities that are allowed. It's frustrating to play against players with 20k to 50k battle experience, when you're just trying to get your legs under you.

4TankersAndDog, thanks for posting that video. I'm about half way through your Where The F to Go series (which is great) but it's refreshing, as a potato, to see low tier tanks being played with plain old fashioned skill, rather than higher tier tanks with multi-skill crews. That's my biggest complaint about watching YT to learn how to play better; most unicums (that I've found) only show replays of tricked-out crews in T8-T10 tanks. Doesn't help much, for someone like me that has only one commander with 6th sense. It's also helpful when you mention the little things in the moment, like "just locked in my auto-aim ..". That's something that I'm remembering to do more often than I used to. I didn't even know about it until I had about 500 battles in (actually I think it was mentioned in boot camp, but I forgot about it ...TMI).

This is WHY I included Zeven's Replay Reviews in my WoT Welcome Package.  Even though most folks will typically ask Zeven to review a replay that is higher tier (usually sticks in the VII to X range) there are still plenty of reviews that land in tiers V and VI, plus the 'variety' of folks that asked for RRs from Zeven that there is a wealth of information there available to anyone willing to listen to what Zeven is saying during his reviews.

Also included, it just so happens, is 4Tankersanddog, who provides another wealth of information aimed squarely at newer players.

These two folks, along with several others that I am considering adding to the WWP, are some of the best when it comes to delivering USEFUL information for folks who are either new or struggling to understand the game's basic tenets of operation at a player level.  

My criteria for choosing who or what goes into the WWP is simply this:  Do they provide information that HELPS New and Struggling players to UNDERSTAND what it is that is being discussed when playing?  In other words, are explanations clear, concise, easy to understand and do they promote being a better player by knowing the game?  If the answers are generally 'yes' to these questions, then they get included.

Right up there in terms of video reviews, are also Lert's "Collection of Guides and Tutorials" and Sask Outrider's "Guides and Thoughts/"

We need more folks willing to take a 'critical eye' to the premise of playing this game as a New Player, still ignorant of: Game Mechanics, Tactics, Techniques, the Garage Functions (there are a LOT of important things in the Garage Functions that knowing of them and how they work make learning the game that much easier to do) and the overall format of play such that it can be a bit overwhelming to deal with it all or come to grips with just HOW MUCH THERE IS TO LEARN to be what could be called just a truly "Average" player (in terms of %'s).  To be even better requires that the player actually take the time to purposely learn most of this stuff.

For you New Players that come across this and have things to add, I would also be interested in things you think you need to know (based on what you know now and believe should be something included at the start of learning) that should be included into the WWP so that I can provide in that package, the 'best fit' for what New Players really need to know before they move on to more Intermediate and Advanced instruction/materials.

For me, as a game designer of RPGs and Board War Games who also understands how 'rules' and 'information' can 'drive away' some folks from learning the game's rules and mechanics when presented poorly -- or in too great a volume -- that literally overwhelms the player and then leaves them with the idea that one must study like a class in college in order to 'get gud,' I understand how important it is to have directed, though concise and clear, information that provides a framework for all that follows from it.

So any critiquing of the information provided in the WWP that helps sharpen it's impact and make it more useful for New and Struggling Players would be most welcome.

My personal discovery is that Learning to play the game and know it's rules has ENHANCED my Enjoyment of Play and has also increased my Skill Level at playing.  This is the Single Largest Reason I provided it in the first place.  I found the Core Essential Information in my search to learn to play better and the stuff in the WWP is geared towards ensuring the Basic Rules and Mechanics of the game are covered as well as simple, easy-to-understand advice and direction from other players that developed training materials for the rest of us to use.

To me, it's ALL ABOUT RETENTION THROUGH INFORMATION AND UNDERSTANDING OF THE GAME.   

Now THAT is WGs 'job' as it were, but if they aren't going to step up (and in nine years of this game, they have managed to provide, as their 'pinnacle of achievement' the wholly unsatisfying "Enter Boot Camp," so) then the Community, if it has any interest in longevity and retention, must Step In.  If WG pricks up their ears/eyes in this regard, then I'd love to spend time talking to them directly about my experiences as a player and as a designer with regard to fun and engaging training options that they should and could provide in-game.  Until then, the WWP is my small contribution to those efforts by the Community.

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO

Also tagged with New Player Experience

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users