• Players
  • 44039 battles
:(   He was one of my favorite drivers.

CabbageMechanic #4 Posted May 21 2019 - 19:30

Senior Community Manager

• Administrator
  • 9068 battles
  • [WGA] WGA
A true legend of sport and business, and a great example for all men.  RIP Niki.

Klaatu_Nicto #5 Posted May 21 2019 - 19:55

Major

• Players
  • 44039 battles

I've seen an air crash investigation show about the Lauda Air plane crash in 1991 which made my opinion of him even greater than it was. He was not just a great race car driver. He was an all around great man.

bockscar43 #6 Posted May 21 2019 - 20:01

Captain

• -Players-
  • 31510 battles
  • [PL1AR] PL1AR
It's one thing being remembered by family and friends and another by strangers, the latter attest to a person's character. His was the highest...go easy bro.

Klaatu_Nicto #7 Posted May 21 2019 - 20:41

Major

• Players
  • 44039 battles

Mercedes chief Toto Wolff

First of all, on behalf of the team and all at Mercedes, I wish to send our deepest condolences to Birgit, Niki's children, his family and close friends.

Niki will always remain one of the greatest legends of our sport - he combined heroism, humanity and honesty inside and outside the cockpit.

His passing leaves a void in Formula One. We haven't just lost a hero who staged the most remarkable comeback ever seen, but also a man who brought precious clarity and candour to modern Formula One. He will be greatly missed as our voice of common sense.

Our Mercedes team has also lost a guiding light. As a team-mate over the past six and a half years, Niki was always brutally honest - and utterly loyal. It was a privilege to count him among our team and moving to witness just how much it meant to him to be part of the team's success. Whenever he walked the floor in Brackley and Brixworth, or delivered one of his famous motivational speeches, he brought an energy that nobody else could replicate.

Niki, you are quite simple irreplaceable, there will never be another like you.

It was our honour to call you our Chairman - and my privilege to call you my friend.

Niki Lauda: An F1 legend remembered

He was asked questions by a journalist he thought he recognized.

“I know you, don’t I?” he asked. “I don’t think so,” the journalist replied.

But Lauda the computer read his memory bank, and recalled how cruel the man had been when he was vulnerable during the first press conference he made after his accident, when people saw for the first time the ravaged and scarred image he would forever present to the world.

“I remember,” Lauda said. “You’re the guy who asked me what my wife would do now that I was ugly.”

Raising his fresh-won trophy, he pointed it at the miscreant and said, “Well, you can shove this up your [edited].”

He took on Boeing, threatening if they did not make a full statement about the cause of the incident to fly a 767 over Seattle and demonstrate that it was not, after all, safe to select reverse thrust in flight. By the time he had got back to his hotel, Boeing had capitulated.

https://www.formula1...FiqeKr0wEz.html

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users