Jump to content


Good Damage per Battle for a very new player? ~500 games


  • Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

chilloutkidss #1 Posted May 22 2019 - 02:26

    Corporal

  • -Players-
  • 1619 battles
  • 23
  • [-UFA-] -UFA-
  • Member since:
    07-02-2018

Hey all. I'm a new player who is spending lots of time at tier 5 and 6, and am wondering, how much damage should I aim for as a new player with ~500 games played? I usually aim for over 100 damage per tier, so 500 at tier 5 and 600 at tier 6. Is this a reasonable goal for a very new player like me?

 

On another note, does the Churchill III suck? I initially had 700 Damage per Battle in it, but once I started getting more games at higher tiers, it started going down to 450-500.

 

My Stats: https://www.noobmeter.com/player/na/chilloutkidss/1031589899/

 

 



el_01 #2 Posted May 22 2019 - 02:43

    Sergeant

  • -Players-
  • 3339 battles
  • 191
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT
  • Member since:
    10-27-2018

imo it depends on the tank.

 

I always aim for at least 1.5x HP, because that gives you a good measure of "I contributed to my team" (the idea is that if an enemy has similar HP to you you've contributed in eliminating their hitpoint pool plus a bit from the battle if you understand)

 

Heavies suck more with higher tier MM, I would suggest waiting a few days before playing again. The Churchill III is a pretty great tank.



BabA_YA6A #3 Posted May 22 2019 - 02:45

    Captain

  • Players
  • 26408 battles
  • 1,593
  • [KOZAK] KOZAK
  • Member since:
    08-09-2013

View Postchilloutkidss, on May 22 2019 - 09:26, said:

Hey all. I'm a new player who is spending lots of time at tier 5 and 6, and am wondering, how much damage should I aim for as a new player with ~500 games played? I usually aim for over 100 damage per tier, so 500 at tier 5 and 600 at tier 6. Is this a reasonable goal for a very new player like me?

 

On another note, does the Churchill III suck? I initially had 700 Damage per Battle in it, but once I started getting more games at higher tiers, it started going down to 450-500.

 

My Stats: https://www.noobmeter.com/player/na/chilloutkidss/1031589899/

 

 

 

Piece of mind.

If you want to improve yourself in this game learn the basics first.

Because with your skillset playing Tier VIII  is not gonna help you to get any better in this game!



RC_1140 #4 Posted May 22 2019 - 02:59

    Major

  • Players
  • 64242 battles
  • 2,974
  • [CLAWS] CLAWS
  • Member since:
    06-13-2013
I think for new players trying for your hp in damage is a good start. Tiers 5-6 are a good place to stay for a while. Another thing you can check is you mark of excellence percent. It compares your last 100 battles in the tank to everyone else playing the tank in the last 2 weeks (I think). As a new player I'd aim for at least 50% by 100 games, but obviously higher is better and as you improve try for a better %. It also takes into account spotting damage. Make sure you learn how the game mechanics work (lots of guides and videos), especially how spotting works. And the Churchill 3 is pretty good, good pen on both ammo types, amazing ROF, usable but not great armor, never sees t7, its just a bit slow. 

TLWiz #5 Posted May 22 2019 - 03:31

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 22142 battles
  • 9,765
  • [DSSRT] DSSRT
  • Member since:
    12-26-2014
Doing damage is key. Having positive damage and kill ratios is good. Winning games is good. Try to act in ways that help your team win - winning is much better for XP and credits than losing.

chilloutkidss #6 Posted May 22 2019 - 03:31

    Corporal

  • -Players-
  • 1619 battles
  • 23
  • [-UFA-] -UFA-
  • Member since:
    07-02-2018

View PostBabA_YA6A, on May 22 2019 - 02:45, said:

 

Piece of mind.

If you want to improve yourself in this game learn the basics first.

Because with your skillset playing Tier VIII  is not gonna help you to get any better in this game!

 

I do not play 8.

tod914 #7 Posted May 22 2019 - 04:33

    Major

  • Players
  • 64650 battles
  • 6,646
  • Member since:
    12-23-2013
Looks like you have some decent players in your clan.  Maybe see if one the better ones can take you under their wing for a bit.  Or, post some replays so they can be evaluated.

RIA1911 #8 Posted May 22 2019 - 04:34

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 6403 battles
  • 938
  • Member since:
    08-14-2011

Here's what i try to shoot for:

Heavy-your own HP in damge

Medium- own HP

TD- maybe a standard of your HP + 1/3 to 1/2 more as a start

Light- some damage and assisted/spotting damage, other may tell you better here, not a big light player

Arty-some one else will have to tell you, don't play them , find them boring.

 

also remember if your bottom tier , do some tracking to tanks and let the higher tiers destroy, get that assisted damage, many tanks when bottom just don't have the gun, so adjust. The churchhill 3 can be a great tracker, high rof of fire just hang back a bit .

 



Firemoth #9 Posted May 22 2019 - 08:39

    Major

  • Players
  • 38080 battles
  • 4,384
  • Member since:
    05-21-2011

damage dealt = tank HP.

 

also, doing relevant damage is important if you are not a passive tank class. heavies and meds need to be doing damage early on and not just sniping and trying to deal damage after the game is already lost.

TDs are alot easier to deal damage in, but are hard to use aggressively unless you know your game mechanics. also experience in when to push and when to camp is important


Edited by Firemoth, May 22 2019 - 08:39.


BabA_YA6A #10 Posted May 22 2019 - 10:56

    Captain

  • Players
  • 26408 battles
  • 1,593
  • [KOZAK] KOZAK
  • Member since:
    08-09-2013

View Postchilloutkidss, on May 22 2019 - 10:31, said:

 

I do not play 8.

 

But you have some in your garage???

Besides the point I don't really care if you do or you don't.

You are a less the average player and the way you going you won't be better than average at best.



_Smang_ #11 Posted May 22 2019 - 11:24

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 38049 battles
  • 298
  • [GOONZ] GOONZ
  • Member since:
    09-06-2013
Guy has a few hundred battles. May want to pump the breaks bala. And, average is...wait for it...average. Not really something to deride.

Devildog8 #12 Posted May 22 2019 - 11:54

    Major

  • Players
  • 11075 battles
  • 7,566
  • [CRZY] CRZY
  • Member since:
    12-26-2011

View PostBabA_YA6A, on May 22 2019 - 03:56, said:

 

But you have some in your garage???

Besides the point I don't really care if you do or you don't.

You are a less the average player and the way you going you won't be better than average at best.

 

Wow 500 battles and your already on the you wont be good enough speech? 500 battles is nothing in this game, he needs to platoon with some good players and learn fundamentals that will help him grow as a player, him posting tells me he is eager to be good and wants to learn thats always a good sign from a new player.

 

 



Insanefriend #13 Posted May 22 2019 - 12:00

    Captain

  • Players
  • 46189 battles
  • 1,838
  • Member since:
    04-06-2012
Aim to do what ever your hp in damage is at a minimum, anything past that is just gravy. 

Devildog8 #14 Posted May 22 2019 - 12:09

    Major

  • Players
  • 11075 battles
  • 7,566
  • [CRZY] CRZY
  • Member since:
    12-26-2011

View Postchilloutkidss, on May 21 2019 - 19:26, said:

Hey all. I'm a new player who is spending lots of time at tier 5 and 6, and am wondering, how much damage should I aim for as a new player with ~500 games played? I usually aim for over 100 damage per tier, so 500 at tier 5 and 600 at tier 6. Is this a reasonable goal for a very new player like me?

 

On another note, does the Churchill III suck? I initially had 700 Damage per Battle in it, but once I started getting more games at higher tiers, it started going down to 450-500.

 

My Stats: https://www.noobmeter.com/player/na/chilloutkidss/1031589899/

 

 

 

First welcome to World of Tanks were happy to have you :)

 

Next the Churchill III is a fun tank, get it in a Churchill wolf pack platoon and they are a blast, try and find someone with good stats that can platoon with you and help you with some stuff like crews and basic fundamentals that can excel your game play and have more fun, remember it is a game, tho you will get ppl here who thinks great stats are everything and sacrificing everything to the stat gods, you have almost 500 games your still a lamb among sheep as with any lamb you need help in learning to grow and grow to where you can have fun but still be competitive and flourish.

 

Good luck and I hope we see you around for a long while 



chilloutkidss #15 Posted May 22 2019 - 13:08

    Corporal

  • -Players-
  • 1619 battles
  • 23
  • [-UFA-] -UFA-
  • Member since:
    07-02-2018

View PostRIA1911, on May 22 2019 - 04:34, said:

Here's what i try to shoot for:

Heavy-your own HP in damge

Medium- own HP

TD- maybe a standard of your HP + 1/3 to 1/2 more as a start

Light- some damage and assisted/spotting damage, other may tell you better here, not a big light player

Arty-some one else will have to tell you, don't play them , find them boring.

 

also remember if your bottom tier , do some tracking to tanks and let the higher tiers destroy, get that assisted damage, many tanks when bottom just don't have the gun, so adjust. The churchhill 3 can be a great tracker, high rof of fire just hang back a bit .

 

 

Man, I don't know why but I find it really hard to hit my HP in damage right now... :( 

Played 5 games just now and none of them did I hit my own HP.


Edited by chilloutkidss, May 22 2019 - 13:08.


dunniteowl #16 Posted May 22 2019 - 14:45

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 31291 battles
  • 8,048
  • Member since:
    09-01-2014

View Postchilloutkidss, on May 22 2019 - 06:08, said:

 

Man, I don't know why but I find it really hard to hit my HP in damage right now... :( 

Played 5 games just now and none of them did I hit my own HP.

 

This is because you are new.  You are going up against some VERY experienced players, some of whom have not only years of game experience over you, but they also probably have a Crew with Skills/Perks that makes your crew look like what they are: Green Recruits.

 

This is also why the idea of "doing your own tanks HP in damage" is such a basic marker for 'carrying' your own 'weight.'  Doing your own HP in damage, AT LEAST, means you are not making it harder for your team to win by having to 'carry' your HP pool in terms of effort.  

 

The idea is that you should, on average, be able to provide enough damage to offset you being lost in battle.  If you have a 350 HP tank, then doing 350 HP worth of damage is "your tank" in the HP pool, reduced from the other team's HP Pool.  This means you 'carried your HP weight' in a match.  So shooting (quite literally) for your own HP in damage (or better) is going to ALWAYS be a 'minimum' marker of helping your team to win by not being a HP 'drag' on your team.

 

Currently I attempt to do, as a minimum, 2x my HP in damage and at least 1 kill when possible.  Do I succeed?  No, not more than around 1/3 of the time in most matches.  More often I am erased from battle before I manage this objective, though have been getting better at not only 'contributing,' I am getting better at the occasional "Carry" moment when I am contributing significantly to the effort of winning.

 

 

As you are New, allow me to say:

 

           Welcome to the Madness

 

That is World of Tanks!

 

And, as you are new, allow me also to link to you something I am sure will help you improve over time.  I affectionately call it:

 

        The WoT Welcome Package (version 1)

 

In it are the Core Essential Information links to allow you to know more about the game, how it works (on a mechanics level) and what you need to know in order to understand WHY you do what you do in game and how to best accomplish your objectives in terms of winning, doing damage and staying alive, only not in that order.

 

In fact, the other things that are in the WWP, include a mantra which gives you the order:

 

Survive   (if you do not do this, you cannot)

Do Damage   (if you can't or don't do this find another way to)

Help Your Team   (if you can't or won't do this, it will be harder to)

 

Win?   (which is Never guaranteed)

 

 

If you are willing to put in a little extra effort to learn the game's mechanics, the rules by which it plays or toys with us during the matches, then you will become, as I claim at one point, 'a magician' of the game.  I'm not there yet, but I am definitely on that path and I hope you will travel it as well.

 

 

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO

 

 


Edited by dunniteowl, May 22 2019 - 15:34.


TankFullOfBourbon #17 Posted May 22 2019 - 17:52

    Major

  • Players
  • 30523 battles
  • 6,806
  • [DHO6] DHO6
  • Member since:
    08-10-2013

Tier 5 and average 400-500 per game in heavies or mediums is good. Tier 6 and you should go up to 650-750. 

 

But hey, those are benchmarks. It's normal to go high and low in games. But when you do hit a longer dry spell, check your other stats to see what you are doing wrong: hit rate (are you hitting your targets), pen rate (are you hitting those weak spots), survival rate (are you dying too early), kill rate (this one is debatable but it could, when low, in combination with decent damage done that you are spraying too much - remember, always prioritize to get enemy guns out of the game. Failing to kill tanks eventually leads to high WN8 but poor win rate).

 



MiddleAgedNoob #18 Posted May 22 2019 - 18:08

    First lieutenant

  • -Players-
  • 18114 battles
  • 669
  • [MARV] MARV
  • Member since:
    10-29-2016

View PostTankFullOfBourbon, on May 22 2019 - 11:52, said:

 kill rate (this one is debatable but it could, when low, in combination with decent damage done that you are spraying too much - remember, always prioritize to get enemy guns out of the game. Failing to kill tanks eventually leads to high WN8 but poor win rate).

 

 

I've seen streamers spare low health one shot targets in the interest of saving their shot for higher health targets so they can max out their damage.  Usually end game when the outcome is already decided, but still....

 

GLHF



dunniteowl #19 Posted May 22 2019 - 18:58

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 31291 battles
  • 8,048
  • Member since:
    09-01-2014

View PostMiddleAgedNoob, on May 22 2019 - 11:08, said:

 

I've seen streamers spare low health one shot targets in the interest of saving their shot for higher health targets so they can max out their damage.  Usually end game when the outcome is already decided, but still....

 

GLHF

 

That's as may be, however, you're probably talking about someone with an above 55% WR and they can 'afford' to ignore a unit like that and 'come back' to it.  Those are the kinds of players that can 'get away' with that and that's EXACTLY what that is, 'getting away' with leaving a unit alive.

 

Let me put it to you this way:  Does that low health HP tank's gun do less damage if the tank is at 18 HP over say, 90 HP?  Does it do less damage than if it were at 700 HP?

 

In short, every gun removed from Red Team is a Good Idea™ over farming higher damage scores for now.  Of course, if you're that outfielder who can jump in the air, reach with his hat and catch that fly ball ready to leave the park, then go ahead.  Most of us need to use our gloves, stay glued to the task at hand and finish that task before moving on to throwing the runner out at 2nd.

 

Those folks who stream are 'Really Good' players for the most part and so have a better success rate at those decisions.  That said, if it were tactically feasible, I would remove a tank from the match over letting him limp away to shoot some other low health unit on my team (maybe even me) later.

 

 

YMMV

 

 

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO



chilloutkidss #20 Posted May 23 2019 - 01:43

    Corporal

  • -Players-
  • 1619 battles
  • 23
  • [-UFA-] -UFA-
  • Member since:
    07-02-2018

View PostTankFullOfBourbon, on May 22 2019 - 17:52, said:

Tier 5 and average 400-500 per game in heavies or mediums is good. Tier 6 and you should go up to 650-750. 

 

But hey, those are benchmarks. It's normal to go high and low in games. But when you do hit a longer dry spell, check your other stats to see what you are doing wrong: hit rate (are you hitting your targets), pen rate (are you hitting those weak spots), survival rate (are you dying too early), kill rate (this one is debatable but it could, when low, in combination with decent damage done that you are spraying too much - remember, always prioritize to get enemy guns out of the game. Failing to kill tanks eventually leads to high WN8 but poor win rate).

 

So would you say 650-750 is good? Or what a new player should expect to get?






1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users