• 37397 battles
  • [J4F] J4F
 The tire bit could have been turned into a Monty Python skit

Zanarkand_C #3 Posted May 23 2019 - 14:48

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 36308 battles
  • [RELIC] RELIC
Now if they could only find some WWII naval guns to shoot.

GeorgePreddy #4 Posted May 23 2019 - 15:42

Major

• Players
  • 14680 battles

And you see that accuracy in WoT is really quite realistic.

The tank in the video aims "forever" at the center of the truck, yet hits the tire.

Once again proving that tank cannons are not IRL sniper rifle accurate... nor should they be in WoT.

dunniteowl #5 Posted May 23 2019 - 16:00

Major

• -Players-
  • 31544 battles

View PostZanarkand_C, on May 23 2019 - 07:48, said:

Now if they could only find some WWII naval guns to shoot.

I sat about 200 Yards away from a Shore Mounted 6" Deck Gun from an old Cruiser at NTC San Diego (it was there to fire commemorative BLASTS during new recruit graduations) that shot ONLY the Gun Cotton Sacks and some Packed Wadding.

It SHOOK the bleachers so strongly that I had to grab the edge of the bleacher I was sitting on to keep from losing my spot on it.  It rippled my clothing and tousled my hair wildly.  From 200 Yards away.

I cannot IMAGINE how loud and strong a force that would be INSIDE the Sponson actually FIRING such a gun.  Now triple that diameter and imagine what an 18" gun from, say, the Missouri would be like when it fired all three of it's main guns in a single sponson at once.

I love BIG BOOMS as much, if not MORE than the next guy (I always dreamed of getting into chemistry and making my own holiday rockets for 4th of July), but you don't want to be anywhere NEAR where those guns are when they fire.

OvO

BonnieKitty #6 Posted May 23 2019 - 16:23

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 12968 battles

On my ship, we had a 5" 54 canon on the pointy end, along with an ASROC launcher and torpedoes. Gunnery practice days were spent toodling along, blasting cars and old tanks on an island. No one went near that end of the ship, on deck, and anyone on deck had hearing protection. It very quickly went from "Cool!" to "&#% racket!", with the steady boom and jolt felt on a fairly small (428ft) ship every couple minutes, all day long. Headaches were the norm. Much cooler watching an ASROC launch, and eventually we tested a Harpoon from the same launcher.

Occasionally, in the open ocean, we would drop a 'Tomato' in the water - a big red inflatable cube, and blast that. Or try to...

Edited by BonnieKitty, May 23 2019 - 16:24.

dunniteowl #7 Posted May 23 2019 - 17:44

Major

• -Players-
  • 31544 battles

View PostBonnieKitty, on May 23 2019 - 09:23, said:

On my ship, we had a 5" 54 canon on the pointy end, along with an ASROC launcher and torpedoes. Gunnery practice days were spent toodling along, blasting cars and old tanks on an island. No one went near that end of the ship, on deck, and anyone on deck had hearing protection. It very quickly went from "Cool!" to "&#% racket!", with the steady boom and jolt felt on a fairly small (428ft) ship every couple minutes, all day long. Headaches were the norm. Much cooler watching an ASROC launch, and eventually we tested a Harpoon from the same launcher.

Occasionally, in the open ocean, we would drop a 'Tomato' in the water - a big red inflatable cube, and blast that. Or try to...

Before my dad 'pushed boots' at Naval Training Center, San Diego, he sailed on many different ships.  Couple of Cruisers (one was the USS Sacramento, a CG), three or four Destroyers, then he went to an AO (Ammunition, Oiler) named the Ponchatoula, which had AAA guns only as I recall (see picture)

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9d/USS_Ponchatoula_%28AO-148%29.jpg

I fired the forward twin guns of this very ship at age 8.  I also got to fire a quad .50 caliber AA position in the aft section near the fantail (you can see it in the image also at the back left of the ship, sticking out a bit before the fantail) at drones they pulled on chains in the water (we were at port and so couldn't fire except into that area where target practice was designated) across an open section of the bay.

Those, too, were QUITE LOUD as I recall it and the big headphone/helmet and life jacket combination my dad made us wear built for adults not kids was like being mummified while doing it (thank goodness, I can still hear at 59) and were very uncomfortable.  As I was not also being shot at or in fear of a torpedo, the firing of the guns were very cool as a kid to do.  Better to brag about than some kid going surfing off Makapu'u or visiting Molokai (at the time I was in Hawaii) over the holidays.

Salute to all service members, including just about every male in my immediate family, myself included, nieces and nephews galore and many, many friends and relatives for that service.  It sucks to be under fire for real.

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users