Tanker Guru Questions-Advice Needed/ Relaying Signal and Signal Boost

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

KingOfBadlands #1 Posted May 23 2019 - 16:35

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 23508 battles

Hey Brothers n Sisters, I need some help and advice. I am trying out the signal relay skill perk with the signal boost skill perk and from my understanding it allows other tanks to see outside of their draw circle as long as enemy spotted is in connection with a relayed signal. I have asked while in game if it is working, some say yes they can see outside their draw circle and some say no. 

Does anyone know if it actually works or if they're just messing with me?

Thanks You everyone for helping me understand this.

Canadian_Mano #2 Posted May 23 2019 - 16:44

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 36777 battles
From what i've understood, they only increase radio range for affected vehicles, not render.

Plays_With_Matches #3 Posted May 23 2019 - 17:13

Major

• Players
  • 30618 battles
  • [-_W_-] -_W_-

http://wiki.wargamin...kills_and_Perks

I think both are pretty worthless at higher tiers as the radios have pretty far reach anyway and with the maps as small as they are and the limited draw range you wouldn't benefit much. At lower tiers it would probably help some tanks.

Edited by Plays_With_Matches, May 23 2019 - 17:17.

_bishop_x #4 Posted May 23 2019 - 18:51

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 43465 battles
  • [IXGD] IXGD
There are a few tanks that will benefit from the signal boost.

Pipinghot #5 Posted May 23 2019 - 19:37

Major

• Players
  • 25960 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

View PostKingOfBadlands, on May 23 2019 - 10:35, said:

Hey Brothers n Sisters, I need some help and advice. I am trying out the signal relay skill perk with the signal boost skill perk and from my understanding it allows other tanks to see outside of their draw circle as long as enemy spotted is in connection with a relayed signal. I have asked while in game if it is working, some say yes they can see outside their draw circle and some say no. 

Does anyone know if it actually works or if they're just messing with me?

Thanks You everyone for helping me understand this.

Short answer:

If the enemy is outside of your Draw Distance, or if they are outside of your Server Horizon (also known as Render Range) then you will see them as red dots on the mini-map but you will not be able to see them on your main screen. Even though they are spotted they will not be drawn in for you to see.

Full explanation:

A lot of people are confused by the visibility & spotting mechanics, so they're probably not messing with you, chances are their answers are honest, so let's talk about what the various terms really mean.

Draw Distance is independent of spotting mechanics. It's a computer setting based on your graphics card. It is the maximum distance at which your computer will render objects on your screen, both fixed objects (like buildings) and dynamic objects (like tanks). You can configure the Draw Distance for your computer under Game Settings->Graphics based on how good your graphics card is. When the game first came out there were a lot of people who had to use Low & Medium, especially on laptops, because of the power of graphics cards back then. Nowadays nearly every computer can play with the Draw Distance set to "High".

When you keep in mind that Draw Distance exists because of computer hardware, it should be easier to understand that it is not actually part of the spotting mechanics of the game. Having a Low Draw Distance can prevent you from seeing things, but having a High Draw Distance does not guarantee that you'll actually see dynamic objects (tanks), it just makes it possible to see them if they're spotted (and if they are inside of the Server Horizon, which we'll talk about next).

The Server Horizon (also known as Render Range) is also independent of the spotting mechanics. It is the maximum distance that the game will allow you to render in tanks regardless of whether they're spotted, or who spotted them, and regardless of what your Draw Distance is set to. The Server Horizon exists because the servers that run the game are not infinitely powerful either, even servers have limitations and so the Server Horizon was needed. According to Wargaming the spotting mechanics use up 30% of the server resources required to run a battle, which is quite a lot then you think about it. 30% of a server just to decide who-can-see-who is a significant amount of computing resources.

Draw Distance was created because of the limitations of the hardware on the PC's that players use to play the game,

Server Horizon / Render Range was created because of limitations to the power of the servers running the game.

The spotting mechanics (view range, camo, radio range) cannot affect the Draw Distance or the Server Horizon, those two things exists no matter how good your view range is, no matter how good your radio is, no matter what skills/perks you're using. The limitations imposed by the Draw Range & Server Horizon cannot be modified or overcome by the spotting mechanics of the game.

Hope this helps.

golruul #6 Posted May 23 2019 - 21:24

Captain

• Players
  • 22346 battles

I don't see anyone ever picking up relaying skill.  Not only does it have no benefit to yourself, the maps are small enough to where it doesn't matter.  Even in Frontlines, the only reason I see someone picking this up is because they have nothing else to train (i.e. they're on their 8th skill).

The only use of signal boosting that I see is playing arty in Frontlines where it's actually, genuinely, useful.

AManCalledJordan #7 Posted May 24 2019 - 01:14

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 3770 battles
  • [SHIRE] SHIRE
Start with Post #21

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users