PSA - False Scarcity is False.

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

Kliphie #41 Posted May 24 2019 - 14:13

Major

• Players
  • 32197 battles
  • [IOC] IOC
Wait, are you saying a for-profit business is using marketing ploys in order to energize their market base?  Those bastards!

Trauglodyte #42 Posted May 24 2019 - 14:57

Major

• -Players-
  • 21751 battles
  • [GSH] GSH

View PostBlackstone, on May 24 2019 - 12:23, said:

To the OP:

I understand what your trying to do, and it's a noble gesture.

but to be honest, it really isn't any of your business to tell anyone how to spend their money, especially in-game currency.

It's just a game, after all.

I think that you're misinterpreting his point.  From how I'm interpreting the intent, he's indicating to the community that you should make an informed decision.  Since the tank is being sold for credits AND taking into account that we all know, through experience, that all tanks will eventually be sold again at another point in time, which do you currently value most?  Do you value the credits or do you value your actual money now versus what you'd have to spend in actual currency later?  Case in point, I have 19 million credits and 15k gold.  I only have 4 more tech tree tanks left to buy and will have more than enough credits, both during and after, to buy whatever "credit" items I want.  Plus, I play enough that I can generate my currency, without issue.  So, outside of something really rare, I won't bother to buy anything (and I'm not going to stay up to odd hours at night to see what the next offer is going to be).  Outside of them offering the Jagdtiger (H), Tiger II (H), or the Panzer V/IV, I have no problems holding off until later.

In short, the overall message is:  "these tanks aren't rare - the offer to buy them with in-game credits is rare; do you value the opportunity cost of buying it now, with credits, or having to wait until it is offered at an unknown time, because it will be, with either cold or actual RL money?"

Edited by Trauglodyte, May 24 2019 - 14:58.

Blackstone #43 Posted May 24 2019 - 15:15

Major

• -Players-
  • 20967 battles
  • [ITKU] ITKU

View PostTrauglodyte, on May 24 2019 - 08:57, said:

I think that you're misinterpreting his point.  From how I'm interpreting the intent, he's indicating to the community that you should make an informed decision.  Since the tank is being sold for credits AND taking into account that we all know, through experience, that all tanks will eventually be sold again at another point in time, which do you currently value most?  Do you value the credits or do you value your actual money now versus what you'd have to spend in actual currency later?  Case in point, I have 19 million credits and 15k gold.  I only have 4 more tech tree tanks left to buy and will have more than enough credits, both during and after, to buy whatever "credit" items I want.  Plus, I play enough that I can generate my currency, without issue.  So, outside of something really rare, I won't bother to buy anything (and I'm not going to stay up to odd hours at night to see what the next offer is going to be).  Outside of them offering the Jagdtiger (H), Tiger II (H), or the Panzer V/IV, I have no problems holding off until later.

In short, the overall message is:  "these tanks aren't rare - the offer to buy them with in-game credits is rare; do you value the opportunity cost of buying it now, with credits, or having to wait until it is offered at an unknown time, because it will be, with either cold or actual RL money?"

I'm not misunderstanding anything. I'm a full grown adult and have good decision making skills.

the decision to spend my credits on something in the game is mine and mine alone.

That's the same with anyone else: what you do with your money is your business, not mine.

If it's ethical or not for what WG is doing is up to debate.

I really don't care if it's "rare" or not.

The 90 GF was there, I've been wanting one for some time, I have MORE than ENOUGH credits to buy it (42 mil at the time), done.

But for someone to have the audacity to TELL people essentially to not spend their credits on the Black Market event is quite frankly arrogant and assumes that most people cannot make intelligent decisions on their own.

Oh, and between Premium time, Frontlines, credit boosters, Premium tanks, etc. I think I'll do just fine.

Edited by Blackstone, May 24 2019 - 15:29.

jester116th #44 Posted May 24 2019 - 15:23

Corporal

• Players
  • 22597 battles
  • [GRSR] GRSR

View PostBlackFive, on May 23 2019 - 18:39, said:

Selling for Credits is the same thing as selling for money.  You don't get to 6 mil without Premium Time and a Premium Vehicle... or having dumped a load of cash @ XMas

Or play frontline!

BlackFive #45 Posted May 24 2019 - 16:04

Major

• Players
  • 34661 battles
  • [_E_] _E_

View Postjester116th, on May 24 2019 - 15:23, said:

Or play frontline!

With Premium Vehicles!

Trauglodyte #46 Posted May 24 2019 - 16:09

Major

• -Players-
  • 21751 battles
  • [GSH] GSH

View PostBlackstone, on May 24 2019 - 15:15, said:

I'm not misunderstanding anything. I'm a full grown adult and have good decision making skills.

the decision to spend my credits on something in the game is mine and mine alone.

That's the same with anyone else: what you do with your money is your business, not mine.

If it's ethical or not for what WG is doing is up to debate.

I really don't care if it's "rare" or not.

The 90 GF was there, I've been wanting one for some time, I have MORE than ENOUGH credits to buy it (42 mil at the time), done.

But for someone to have the audacity to TELL people essentially to not spend their credits on the Black Market event is quite frankly arrogant and assumes that most people cannot make intelligent decisions on their own.

Oh, and between Premium time, Frontlines, credit boosters, Premium tanks, etc. I think I'll do just fine.

You're still arguing the point that you're making, thus you're missing the point.

• You are an adult that can make your own decisions - we agree
  • This isn't a one time only ever chance to buy tanks - we agree

The OP's point and mine, and the part that you're missing, is that you don't HAVE to fee like you need to buy it now because the rarity isn't tied to the tank and is, instead, tied to the rarity of the event and monetary means of buying it.  The German Bulldog was sold, I believe, 2-3 months ago.  It'll be sold again in probably another 2-3 months.  It has been sold more than 5 times, that I can remember, over the two years that I've been playing WoT.  The French TD, that is currently on sale now, was just sold a month or so ago.  Ergo, if you don't feel comfortable with buying the tank now, given its limited number available for the overly hyped marketing campaign, you can rest assured that it'll be sold again the next 6 months, especially given the Christmas sales.  The ONLY rarity of this even is the monetary means of buying the tank and the notion that there are only a few available to be bought in this manner.  So, whether it is $40 worth of credits now or $40 of actual money later, you can still get it.  Hence, since you ARE an adult, make an informed decision and don't be frantic or pushed to buy it now.  In your case, you have the credits and you want the tank so you bought it.  GREAT!  If you didn't have the credits and you wanted it, and this is what you're either not seeing or not wanting to see (I don't know and won't assume), is it worth to you, at this point, to spend the RL money to buy the credits to buy the tank OR hold out until it is sold, again, and spend the RL straight up?  My feelings and interpretation is to remove the "OMGOMGOMG" factor and make an informed decision, based upon the basis of fact of an individual's current situation.

I really don't understand how that is a hard concept or something that you feel the need to argue with, given that you're agreeing with the bulk of the OP's comment.

Edited by Trauglodyte, May 24 2019 - 16:25.

BlackFive #47 Posted May 24 2019 - 16:14

Major

• Players
  • 34661 battles
  • [_E_] _E_

View PostBlackstone, on May 24 2019 - 15:15, said:

But for someone to have the audacity to TELL people essentially to not spend their credits on the Black Market event is quite frankly arrogant and assumes that most people cannot make intelligent decisions on their own. ...

View PostTrauglodyte, on May 24 2019 - 14:57, said:

I think that you're misinterpreting his point.  From how I'm interpreting the intent, he's indicating to the community that you should make an informed decision.

View PostBlackFive, on May 24 2019 - 02:07, said:

I get it.  It's your money.  If you want it, buy it. (and thanks for keeping the server paid for!)

Just don't buy into the notion that anything WG is selling is a one time or limited offer.  Whatever they are selling... They will sell it to you again later.  Nothing is exclusive.

EDIT:  As an addendum... WG is selling 2million credits in the Main Shop for $21.49.  So your 6 million credit tank is about $65. 

(See: https://na.wargaming.net/shop/wot/main/240/ and https://na.wargaming.net/shop/wot/main/1325/  )

• 2k gold = $10.34
  • 2k gold + 2 mil credits = $31.79
    • Thus, 2 mil credits = $21.45 and 6 mil = $64.35

Edit #2: If you are informed and having fun buying 'rare' or 'limited time offer' tanks; I respect that.  My only point is to remind folks caught up in the 'new' that WG manipulates the scarcity of these items... and whatever they sell now - for whatever cost... will be sold again at some point.

View PostBlackFive, on May 24 2019 - 03:07, said:

Cool.  Do your thing.

I'm just reminding folks that the 'limited' offer really isn't all that limited.  If you are making an informed choice - I totally respect that.

Ah... The internet in the 20-teens; the place where people go to look for an excuse to feel offended.  Any excuse will do - b/c being offended is all the feels!

@ Blackstone: the answer was there all along...

Edited by BlackFive, May 24 2019 - 16:32.

Snohoe #48 Posted May 24 2019 - 16:40

Captain

• Players
  • 18167 battles
  • [AIMED] AIMED

Block Quote

Thus, 2 mil credits = $21.45 and 6 mil = $64.35

Not really... can grind that in like 5 hours with boosters? So spend a few hours of credit grinding for $30-50 worth of tanks?

Prob even do it in half that if you did strongholds.

Trauglodyte #49 Posted May 24 2019 - 16:48

Major

• -Players-
  • 21751 battles
  • [GSH] GSH

View PostSnohoe, on May 24 2019 - 16:40, said:

Not really... can grind that in like 5 hours with boosters? So spend a few hours of credit grinding for $30-50 worth of tanks?

Prob even do it in half that if you did strongholds.

That wasn't his point.  His point was that, if in the limited time period you didn't have the credits and needed to buy them, the cost would be about the normal cost of the tank.  Therefor, it is really only a deal if you have the spare credits to buy them.  If you have the credits, ignore it.  If you have the time to grind the credits, ignore it.  If you don't have the credits and have to buy them with real money, the "scarcity" is false because we're guaranteed that the tank will be sold again and the cost will be about the same, give or take.

On an off note, am I just super smart or are people either unable, due to the writing or due to not being willing or wanting, to catch the point?  Seriously, I'm kind of struggling with this cause I don't get the lack of logical following.

Edited by Trauglodyte, May 24 2019 - 16:50.

Kliphie #50 Posted May 24 2019 - 16:58

Major

• Players
  • 32197 battles
  • [IOC] IOC
It's marketing and a method to remove silver (and probably at some point gold) from the economy.  

Trauglodyte #51 Posted May 24 2019 - 18:02

Major

• -Players-
  • 21751 battles
  • [GSH] GSH

View PostKliphie, on May 24 2019 - 16:58, said:

It's marketing and a method to remove silver (and probably at some point gold) from the economy.  

Bingo-bango!  Nothing more than an indirect way of inflating sales of premium tanks and accounts.

Blackstone #52 Posted May 24 2019 - 19:05

Major

• -Players-
  • 20967 battles
  • [ITKU] ITKU

View PostTrauglodyte, on May 24 2019 - 10:09, said:

You're still arguing the point that you're making, thus you're missing the point.

• You are an adult that can make your own decisions - we agree
  • This isn't a one time only ever chance to buy tanks - we agree

The OP's point and mine, and the part that you're missing, is that you don't HAVE to fee like you need to buy it now because the rarity isn't tied to the tank and is, instead, tied to the rarity of the event and monetary means of buying it.  The German Bulldog was sold, I believe, 2-3 months ago.  It'll be sold again in probably another 2-3 months.  It has been sold more than 5 times, that I can remember, over the two years that I've been playing WoT.  The French TD, that is currently on sale now, was just sold a month or so ago.  Ergo, if you don't feel comfortable with buying the tank now, given its limited number available for the overly hyped marketing campaign, you can rest assured that it'll be sold again the next 6 months, especially given the Christmas sales.  The ONLY rarity of this even is the monetary means of buying the tank and the notion that there are only a few available to be bought in this manner.  So, whether it is $40 worth of credits now or $40 of actual money later, you can still get it.  Hence, since you ARE an adult, make an informed decision and don't be frantic or pushed to buy it now.  In your case, you have the credits and you want the tank so you bought it.  GREAT!  If you didn't have the credits and you wanted it, and this is what you're either not seeing or not wanting to see (I don't know and won't assume), is it worth to you, at this point, to spend the RL money to buy the credits to buy the tank OR hold out until it is sold, again, and spend the RL straight up?  My feelings and interpretation is to remove the "OMGOMGOMG" factor and make an informed decision, based upon the basis of fact of an individual's current situation.

I really don't understand how that is a hard concept or something that you feel the need to argue with, given that you're agreeing with the bulk of the OP's comment.

Great. Fine. Good to know. Wonderful. I'm done.

MakersMike #53 Posted May 24 2019 - 20:19

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 3613 battles

This thread is hilarious.  Look, this is a great deal.  And this deal is in fact scarce and limited.

Scarce does not mean once in a lifetime.  Scarce means rare.  Infrequent.  Uncommon. Something not occurring very often.  I would say this fit's those descriptions.  

1)  It is RARE to see any premium tank offered for in game credits.  

2)  This particular offer is LIMITED because only 2000 of them were offered for in game credits.

You cannot correlate in game credits with real money spent at the store, regardless of a given value in the store.

The in game credits are earned as a consequence of you playing a game that you enjoy.  Easily earned in one fun day of Frontline.

Unless Wargaming can give me $65.00 cash for my 6,000,000 in game credits, the two are not comparable.

If my girlfriend gives me **** and then I give her **** back, I don't say "I've just spent $50.00 because that's the value that the hooker downtown charges for it". 

The tank will be offered again.  But doubtfully for in game credits.  If they do, it won't be for some time, and it will again be for a limited time.  Thus making it a rare...or scarce deal.

Edited by MakersMike, May 24 2019 - 20:21.

ProfessionalFinn #54 Posted May 24 2019 - 20:35

Captain

• -Players-
  • 25254 battles
OP makes a good point.  For a proof point look to the baseball trading card boom / bust of the 90s.  The trading card companies flooded the market with rare cards killing the golden-goose.

MakersMike #55 Posted May 24 2019 - 20:41

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 3613 battles

View PostProfessionalFinn, on May 24 2019 - 11:35, said:

OP makes a good point. For a proof point look to the baseball trading card boom / bust of the 90s. The trading card companies flooded the market with rare cards killing the golden-goose.

Yes, but what if they said "come out and play a fun game of softball for a day and for having a good time we'll give you enough in store credit to get that Upper Deck Ken Griffey Jr. Rookie Card you've had your eye on".  Probably worth it.   

Tao_Te_Tomato #56 Posted May 24 2019 - 20:44

Captain

• -Players-
  • 26671 battles
  • [TER] TER

View PostPipinghot, on May 24 2019 - 02:27, said:

Too right.

Never believe anyone who is trying to sell FARTS (Forced ARTificial Scarcity), it's all b******t.

That's why people should know about SMARTS.  Synthetically Made ARTificial Scarcity,

But, sadly, many people are without SMARTS.

I'm'a'goin'with the OP.  If you want to have fun with it, buy it.  I traded my Black Dog for the Silver Dog, it's just different colored pixels.  Nice tank.  Mongo like.

And there's nothing wrong with buying because you're a collector.  Not my cup of tea, but I'm not judging you.

Just, let me suggest, don't buy it because it's "rare and collectible," because unlike those Franklin Mint plates (limited to 1000 firing days [at about a gajillion plates per day]), it's just a push of the button (okay, maybe a couple) to bring the thing back again.  And again.  And again.

Kinda like the Highwaymen song...

Speaking of songs:

:bajan:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users