• 13688 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY

Ah the SPG, a nice little armored vehicle

The target of most harassment in a match

The assumed "Tomato Tank"

Medium Tank damage between 30 second intervals

Shots that have no guarantee of ever hitting

Yet... people get so angry when we cannot do our jobs

The very people that wanted SPG's nerfed get angry when we cannot assist them in crucial moments of battle

Is an ally surrounded by enemies? Well the best an SPG can do is minimal damage to one tank while stunning everyone else in the area, including the friendly trying to escape

Is the SPG all alone in the back after it was abandoned and left defenseless by its teammates? Well they are as good as dead as they barely have the chance to one shot even the most lightly of armored tanks

People expect so much out of a tank they complained about for so long. They want so much to be provided from a tank that has almost nothing to give. Even if you do your job correctly, your team can just ignore what you are trying to do for them

Stun or Track a tank in front of a firing squad? Well most of them ignored it while the others whiffed their shots.

Support a push of your team? Stunning enemy tanks in the way of victory? If the push dies, or if you mistakenly misplace a shot, you are the sole person to blame

What is expected of SPGs is just so complicated. I am not saying it is impossible to do from the SPG standpoint. What I am saying is it is hard to achieve when the SPG's are the ones trying to cooperate, but the team is ignoring their attempts to do so.

This is an unpopular opinion presented to you by: Sergeantmine09. Have at it :)

Edited by sergeantmine09, May 25 2019 - 17:48.

the_dude_76 #2 Posted May 24 2019 - 20:49

Major

• Players
  • 33444 battles
  • [GSRM] GSRM

View Postsergeantmine09, on May 24 2019 - 13:28, said:

Ah the SPG, a nice little tank

The target of most harassment in a match

The assumed "Tomato Tank"

Medium Tank damage between 30 second intervals

Shots that have no guarantee of ever hitting

Yet... people get so angry when we cannot do our jobs

The very people that wanted SPG's nerfed get angry when we cannot assist them in crucial moments of battle- I'd love to see you actually back up the claim that it's the same people making both complaints...

Is an ally surrounded by enemies? Well the best an SPG can do is minimal damage to one tank while stunning everyone else in the area, including the friendly trying to escape- Wrong, just find another target genius

Is the SPG all alone in the back after it was abandoned and left defenseless by its teammates? Well they are as good as dead as they barely have the chance to one shot even the most lightly of armored tanks- If the SPG is all alone it's because he decided to sit in the back where no one could support him. That isn't being "Abandoned" since no other tank has any reason to sit back there.

People expect so much out of a tank they complained about for so long. They want so much to be provided from a tank that has almost nothing to give. Even if you do your job correctly, your team can just ignore what you are trying to do for them

Stun or Track a tank in front of a firing squad? Well most of them ignored it while the others whiffed their shots.

Support a push of your team? Stunning enemy tanks in the way of victory? If the push dies, or if you mistakenly misplace a shot, you are the sole person to blame

What is expected of SPGs is just so complicated. I am not saying it is impossible to do from the SPG standpoint. What I am saying is it is hard to achieve when the SPG's are the ones trying to cooperate, but the team is ignoring their attempts to do so.

This is an unpopular opinion presented to you by: Sergeantmine09. Have at it :) 

This isn't an "unpopular" opinion, it's simply one that isn't supported by any actual facts...

Fail for the above reasons-

NutrientibusMeaGallus #3 Posted May 24 2019 - 20:57

Major

• Players
  • 22674 battles
  • [FILOX] FILOX
I really haven't noticed any real difference in arty.... Seems like they play like they did before.

cavalry11 #4 Posted May 24 2019 - 20:58

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 48178 battles
  • [11BAT] 11BAT
Imagine that an answer from an ignorant arty hater.

sergeantmine09 #5 Posted May 24 2019 - 20:59

Captain

• -Players-
  • 13688 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY

View Postthe_dude_76, on May 24 2019 - 13:49, said:

Fail for the above reasons-

Above Reasons:

"Find another target"

Ignore your friendly in peril, find something else to shoot at, let him die.

"Find people that are making both complaints"

Really? You're denying the obvious. People hate SPG's to the point where they will hit just about anything the SPG does whether it is good or bad.

"If the SPG is alone... etc etc" 

I can word it differently since I can see the error within that statement. When the team dies, the SPG has no way to survive. The health pool is simply too great for it to fight against. Even if you hit the one shot you are able to get off, the chances of it actually doing anything to help your situation are minimal. 

"this isn't an "unpopular" opinion, it's simply one that isn't supported by any actual facts..."

Yeah because I just pulled this out of my [edited]. It totally wasn't inspired by the actual stuff I see in battle. 

TVV #6 Posted May 24 2019 - 21:04

Captain

• Players
  • 56766 battles
  • [EZ_CO] EZ_CO
The only true part in the entire rant is that the OP has very little to offer in WOT. 

LateralusTOOL #7 Posted May 24 2019 - 21:15

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 29430 battles
  • [T0OL] T0OL
worldssmallestviolin.jpg

Rides_with_Death #8 Posted May 24 2019 - 21:16

Major

• Players
  • 34855 battles
Well guess if you don't play them you won't have to worry about it.

RHeadshot #9 Posted May 24 2019 - 21:22

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 4032 battles
SPGs aren't tanks.

nrnstraswa #10 Posted May 24 2019 - 21:38

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 16013 battles
  • [AJ] AJ

Sorry, not feeling you here. SPGs are the only class in the game that can do damage without even leaving spawn. As Claus Kellerman says, "the P in SPG stands for PROPELLED" as in, keep moving! SPGs should always keep an eye on the minimap, and try to relocate after each few shots.  

I understand arty is subject to bad RNG, but still. 

ReddNekk #11 Posted May 24 2019 - 22:58

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 1805 battles

Block Quote

Is the SPG all alone in the back after it was abandoned and left defenseless by its teammates? Well they are as good as dead as they barely have the chance to one shot even the most lightly of armored tanks

Is this a joke? First off, no one "abandoned" you, YOU chose to hide wayyyy in the back. Besides, why would I want to stick around and protect a frigging SPG anyway? He might be the cull that was griefing me in previous battles and he's certainly griefing Red Team players in the present battle. This is cute; "they barely have the chance to one shot even the most lightly of armored tanks" Hell, I've been one shotted by SPGs in Medium tanks both directly and indirectly. (BTW, I've never heard of a tank that wasn't armored)

BlaqWolf #12 Posted May 24 2019 - 23:04

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 21618 battles

View PostNutrientibusMeaGallus, on May 24 2019 - 13:57, said:

I really haven't noticed any real difference in arty.... Seems like they play like they did before.

No, they play dramatically different.
Lower stun potential, smaller splash to deliver said stun, damage is laughable at best even on a direct hit.

Used to be arty was something to be feared, even if you know it *might* actually hit you once in a blue moon, though the splash/crit damage could get annoying at times.  When they had premium shells if you had nice bright XVM colors you were going to get pounded endlessly, even if five tomatoes were in a pack sitting in the open.

Now... some stun (I completely ignore it), some crits (wait 'em out or quick repair), but no real damage.  For the most part nowadays I simply ignore the existence of artillery, even in light armor.  It's unlikely to do much.

the_dude_76 #13 Posted May 24 2019 - 23:07

Major

• Players
  • 33444 battles
  • [GSRM] GSRM

View Postcavalry11, on May 24 2019 - 13:58, said:

Imagine that an answer from an ignorant arty hater.

Are you talking to me?? Because I defend arty more often than not here even though I don't enjoy playing it myself.

View Postsergeantmine09, on May 24 2019 - 13:59, said:

Ignore your friendly in peril, find something else to shoot at, let him die.- Exactly, if your "friend" is surrounded by enemies then he screwed up big time. It's no ones job to help people who screw themselves over with poor game play. Let him die and maybe he learns a lesson. Team damage and team stunning is NEVER ok. Obviously you won't be able to save him anyway, especially after you stun him.

"Find people that are making both complaints"

Really? You're denying the obvious. People hate SPG's to the point where they will hit just about anything the SPG does whether it is good or bad. If it were "obvious" then you'd be able to provide some proof. I can't help but note that you haven't even tried...

"If the SPG is alone... etc etc" 

I can word it differently since I can see the error within that statement. When the team dies, the SPG has no way to survive. The health pool is simply too great for it to fight against. Even if you hit the one shot you are able to get off, the chances of it actually doing anything to help your situation are minimal. You can say that about pretty much any tank to some degree. Every class has weaknesses, this is the weakness of arty. It's no different than a heavy getting caught out all alone and circle strafed by a light or medium

"this isn't an "unpopular" opinion, it's simply one that isn't supported by any actual facts..."

Yeah because I just pulled this out of my [edited]. It totally wasn't inspired by the actual stuff I see in battle. That's called "confirmation bias".  You should look it up...

sergeantmine09 #14 Posted May 24 2019 - 23:19

Captain

• -Players-
  • 13688 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY

View PostReddNekk, on May 24 2019 - 15:58, said:

Is this a joke? First off, no one "abandoned" you, YOU chose to hide wayyyy in the back. Besides, why would I want to stick around and protect a frigging SPG anyway? He might be the cull that was griefing me in previous battles and he's certainly griefing Red Team players in the present battle. This is cute; "they barely have the chance to one shot even the most lightly of armored tanks" Hell, I've been one shotted by SPGs in Medium tanks both directly and indirectly. (BTW, I've never heard of a tank that wasn't armored)

Ah you're one of those people. "SPG's are grieifing because I don't like them." 

sergeantmine09 #15 Posted May 24 2019 - 23:20

Captain

• -Players-
  • 13688 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY

View PostTVV, on May 24 2019 - 14:04, said:

The only true part in the entire rant is that the OP has very little to offer in WOT. 

Nice rebuttal. When you have something intelligent to say, let me know :)

sergeantmine09 #16 Posted May 24 2019 - 23:21

Captain

• -Players-
  • 13688 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY

View PostRHeadshot, on May 24 2019 - 14:22, said:

SPGs aren't tanks.

Wheeled vehicles aren't tanks. Most tank destroyers are tanks. But you really only apply that to SPG's right?

ReddNekk #17 Posted May 24 2019 - 23:21

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 1805 battles

View Postsergeantmine09, on May 24 2019 - 15:19, said:

Ah you're one of those people. "SPG's are grieifing because I don't like them."

No. I'm one of those who don't like them because they're griefers.

sergeantmine09 #18 Posted May 24 2019 - 23:22

Captain

• -Players-
  • 13688 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY

View PostReddNekk, on May 24 2019 - 16:21, said:

Cute. 

BlaqWolf #19 Posted May 24 2019 - 23:27

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 21618 battles

View PostReddNekk, on May 24 2019 - 16:21, said:

Arty?  Griefers???  *LOL*  That's a rich one.

Arty is the single most griefed by 'allies' in the entire game.  How many times do you see an arty being the perp on 'the biggest [edited]' or similar youtube contributions?

People are just butthurt because arty can touch their private places when they're hiding to diddle themselves.    That used to actually mean something, but now arty's little touch is the nibble of a mosquito: annoying as heck, but not in the least debilitating.

sergeantmine09 #20 Posted May 24 2019 - 23:28

Captain

• -Players-
  • 13688 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY

If it were "obvious" then you'd be able to provide some proof. I can't help but note that you haven't even tried...
I guess you just ignore it when someone voices their irritation with it. 

You can say that about pretty much any tank to some degree. Every class has weaknesses, this is the weakness of arty. It's no different than a heavy getting caught out all alone and circle strafed by a light or medium

That is one of many weaknesses to artillery. 
Artillery does pretty much the same damage as a medium at its own tier, just in much larger time differences.
Artillery can barely hit what shots it takes as you have to account for shell delay as well as the movement of your target
I am not denying every class has a branch of weaknesses, but artillery at least had a better chance of fighting off the enemy before the crying began

That's called "confirmation bias".  You should look it up...

Edit: Sorry wrong thing. 
So you want proof, but using that proof would just mean that I am thinking in a biased fashion? Thus making the argument seem all the more irrational

Exactly, if your "friend" is surrounded by enemies then he screwed up big time. It's no ones job to help people who screw themselves over with poor game play. Let him die and maybe he learns a lesson. Team damage and team stunning is NEVER ok. Obviously you won't be able to save him anyway, especially after you stun him.

I guess you're missing the point here. But hey, I am just being irrational so what's the point in trying to convince you otherwise

Edited by sergeantmine09, May 24 2019 - 23:31.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users