Colors & Effects & Cammo

paint effects cammo cammoflage customization monetezation cosmetic

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

BlaqWolf #1 Posted May 29 2019 - 21:19

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 21750 battles

Here's an idea that would net WG a little cash, without resorting to 'screw most of the player base' flash sales:
Look at *every* game out there.  EVERY OTHER GAME.  What sells consistently and is often in much demand?  cosmetics. No need to insert OP tanks or e-peen my wallet is fatter than yours status symbols, just open up the player's ability to customize their vehicles.  You already let them plaster emblems and inscriptions on tanks almost bigger than the vehicle itself.

MORE colors in the exterior interface.  True colors, not the washed out primers in there now.
TRUE black, TRUE blue, gold, or red or... well, grab a 16 count box of crayolas and feed them into the game.  Sure, put a little gold behind them (a LITTLE gold... like 50 per section), but make them available.  These would be primer colors, not camouflage colors (camouflage could be improved without changing it at all - by layering it).

Next, add more 'effects' (the two current ones are so subtle as to be WTH bother).  You have 'worn' paint - useless.

'showroom' - paint and such is pristine.  No nicks, dirt, exhaust smut.  This tank never saw the proving grounds, it got parked in a showroom for visiting officials to ogle.
'spit shine' - Like showroom, but given a glossy coat of wax and run over with a buffing machine.  It shines like a new penny.  Someone's private collection stock.

'battle tested' - More worn out than the joke 'worn' paint scheme.  It's got naked metal showing where bullets have bounced, it's pitted, it's rusty, sooty, and dirty.  The camouflage is discernible as a smudge under the grunge.  When the engine fires up the smoke is unusually black... or blue, since it's burning oil.

'wrecked' - As stated, you're driving a tank that looks like a battlefield casualty.  Only the fact that the tracks and turret move shows it's even operable at all.  It's charred and smoking.

'captured' - changes the nationality of the exterior options only.  Nothing else about the vehicle changes.

Allow players to remove decals/emblems from 'custom' styles and replace them with their own choices, or place those emblems elsewhere on other vehicles.

camouflage - leave the colors and historic patterns alone, just break them up into 3 layers.  Allow players to mix and match elements, rotate each layer, size each layer, then lock in place.  The database, and clients, would not care much about that - it's just another set of numbers referencing already existing assets (layer ID#, size, rotation).  Size is already available.

Edited by BlaqWolf, May 29 2019 - 21:47.

RHeadshot #2 Posted May 29 2019 - 21:31

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 4569 battles
what is "cammo?"

GeorgePreddy #3 Posted May 29 2019 - 21:34

Major

• Players
  • 14680 battles

I'm guessing that WG already knows that OP Premium tanks and e-peen status symbols make a lot more money for them than tank lipstick and rouge.

BlaqWolf #4 Posted May 29 2019 - 21:43

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 21750 battles

View PostGeorgePreddy, on May 29 2019 - 14:34, said:

I'm guessing that WG already knows that OP Premium tanks and e-peen status symbols make a lot more money for them than tank lipstick and rouge.

Yet, when you look at pretty much every other MOBA, MMORPG, ARPG or what have you out there... the single hottest item to sell, that does not directly affect game play, is cosmetics.
Adding deeper layers of customization would only increase their potential income stream, without breaking the game with outlandish toon tanks (well... 'chinese christmas' and some of those others are *seriously* tooned to death).

OP Premiums *will* make a lot more money.  e-peen status symbols will *not* (after all, that money for the most part has already been paid for - people who ran out and snapped up 25k gold to miss out on the tank immediately turned around and canceled the charges - so no real new money was earned).  Opening the market and selling e-peen flags would quickly turn them into pretty much nothing worth bothering with; money lost because no one would buy.
Cosmetics see a steady stream of consumption - and players can't scream 'P2W!' so loudly as they do with things like the 3A, Defender, gold ammo, et al.

_Tsavo_ #5 Posted May 29 2019 - 22:27

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 45132 battles
  • [BRVE] BRVE
I would love chrome/shiny camos and proper color selections for customization.  Few dollars here, few there, let's see it, WG! 

dunniteowl #6 Posted May 29 2019 - 22:35

Major

• -Players-
  • 29661 battles

I like the idea.  It might be something I'd actually spend Gold on getting.  I'd LOVE to be able to make all my tanks Lemon Yellow with Lime Green spotting.  I think that'd be really fun.  We'd be watching something like a Flying Circus (von Richtofen's, not Monty Python's) cascade of inappropriately colored tanks running all over the place.

This idea would be great for a WWI Flying Game.  I still think it'd be fun in this one.  You could shut it off on your own with the "don't display non-historical elements" checkbox we already have.

+1 OP

OvO

Pipinghot #7 Posted May 29 2019 - 23:11

Major

• Players
  • 25960 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

View PostBlaqWolf, on May 29 2019 - 15:43, said:

View PostGeorgePreddy, on May 29 2019 - 14:34, said:

Yet, when you look at pretty much every other MOBA, MMORPG, ARPG or what have you out there... the single hottest item to sell, that does not directly affect game play, is cosmetics.

Other games have a different audience than WoT, you clearly don't understand the demographics of the WoT player base. Fortunately Wargaming does understand their demographics, which is why they haven't made this mistake.

Other games don't have a large portion of their players who want their game to look at least somewhat historical'ish. Lot and lots of people play WoT for the general look and feel of tank warfare, and the moment you start putting cowboy hats on tanks like they're extra from the Cars movies WoT would have a huge backlash and risk losing a significant portion of their player base. Why do you think WoT has so many different camo patterns, why do you think they have different kinds of camo as rewards, it's because they already know that players like cosmetics but they also know that the cosmetics have to look right within the look and feel of the game.

Yes, players like cosmetics, and that includes WoT players, but the cosmetics have to look right within the game. Camo patterns that look like "TRUE" colors from a box of crayons would be a problem for this game, and Wargaming knows it.

BlaqWolf #8 Posted May 30 2019 - 10:41

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 21750 battles

Hmm, apparently most of the commentors rather noticeably lacked any sort of reading comprehension:

Colors:
They're *base* colors; re: primer.  Sure, an entire tank could be royal blue, but look around... seen any tanks with purple hulls, yellow turrets, and green guns on any historic battlefields?
WoT has thrown all of the 'historical accuracy' out the window in both released vehicles (some never made it off the napkin they were jotted on) and color schemes.

Camouflage:

The camouflage colors would, as I suggested, would *not* change to the crayola box set.  They'd remain pretty much as they are, but allow more customization by breaking each one in to three layers which could be individually adjusted to taste before applying.

And, besides, that argument is laughably moot - just look at some of the paint/cammo 'themes' out there *already*.  Candycanes and lobsters, swirlies, Cats and arthropods... 

Effects:
The 'effects' would change how 'shiny' the tank was, for the most part, or how beat to snot the player wanted it to look like.

Edited by BlaqWolf, May 30 2019 - 10:42.

Pipinghot #9 Posted May 30 2019 - 14:32

Major

• Players
  • 25960 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

View PostBlaqWolf, on May 30 2019 - 04:41, said:

Hmm, apparently most of the commentors rather noticeably lacked any sort of reading comprehension:

Nope, you just didn't like the responses.

Also tagged with paint, effects, cammo, cammoflage, customization, monetezation, cosmetic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users