Churchill GC - A Review

Churchill GC Tank Destroyer Review

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

xXTheGameAceXx #1 Posted May 31 2019 - 22:43

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 11473 battles

So some time back I decided that I'd actually grind out the Churchill I after I finished getting the Churchill VII researched, and go for the Churchill GC. That's a lot of Churchill. Sure, I could go down the normal TD line instead, but I'm a crazy person after all, and the crazy thing to do is actually get and use the GC. Since no one seems to ever use this tank (outside of my own usage and one other player I saw today, I haven't seen a GC in over a year in a random battle) and I have time to kill, I felt like doing my own review on this abomination, both for my own amusement, the amusement of others, and partial seriousness for anyone else who may be crazy enough to actually take their time to get this escapee from a circus.

Design

First I'll touch on the design of the tank, which looks like a British engineer got smashed one night, had to quickly finish up some blueprints for work in the morning, and this baby became a tank. It's a magnificent cardboard box that has a gun poking out of the bottom left (right if viewing the tank directly), that's been placed on the hull of a Churchill VII, with some oddly placed boxes that almost feel like misplaced ears on the sides. If looking at this tank from the front, it almost looks as if it's angrily staring at you with a single eye, a gaping mouth, and no will to live.

Armor/Spotting/Concealment

The GC is an odd tank in design, but that's not where the oddities stop. The armor of the Churchill GC is fairly random and typically useless, having a frontal value of 88, a side value of 63, and a rear value of 50. It's like they drew random numbers from a hat and used those values to determine what worked for it. Although, I'm sure back in the day before power creep took over many older model tanks, this actually was a lot more useful than it is now. It certainly doesn't help the poor GC being as flat as it is either. Fortunately the armor is still high enough to bounce some occasional shots from lower tier tanks, although not many.

On the concealment end, this tank isn't much better, although with a camo net, all crewmembers with concealment, and camo on your GC, it can still reach pretty close to 700. For the tier, this is at least workable. Mine currently sits around 500 with simply a net and camo. You'll get rather easily spotted from almost anything at mid to close range that has any sort of decent view range as well, due to how much this tank has to use hull traverse, and your poor view range isn't likely to get any spotting of its own too readily, with a rather meager 327 view range. Yet another random number that I'm pretty sure was drawn out of a hat, and is about as useless as you'd imagine.

Mobility

The hull of a Churchill VII, the stock engine of the same, with a heavy weight and surprisingly fair traverse speed. You can probably guess based on that description just how immobile this thing is. On flat terrain, the top speed reaches to around 21, which is about as slow as it's heavy cousins. This means that you can forget going up hills or traveling long distances, unless you absolutely don't care about contributing to the team and would rather say you conquered the hill that the O-I managed to get up in half the time that you did. Fortunately this tank is a sniper, so it doesn't necessarily have to travel tons. Unfortunately, there's more maps than not that require you to move a fair distance from your spawn-point to be able to effectively shoot at anything, and by the time you get there the battle is usually over.

But hey, it has an OK hull traverse at least!

Firepower

The mighty gun of the Churchill GC is the sole redeeming factor of this sluggish monstrosity. On the downside, you still have to get through the tracks, horrendous stock gun, and still quite bad mid gun, before you can get the almighty 32-pounder scone launcher. The top gun packs a pretty powerful 280 alpha punch for a Tier VI tank destroyer, with a whopping 220 standard penetration! Seriously, that's a lot for standard ammo and if you seriously have to load gold with this thing, maybe it's time to find another game. GC's reload isn't anything to scoff at either, reaching around 8.2 seconds with a gun rammer and full crew, and a paper stat of 0.34 dispersion and a 2.1 second aim time. However there's still one additional drawback. Remember how I say you have to traverse your hull a lot? The gun traverse limits are 5 degrees in either direction. Not a fun time if you need to keep firing between multiple targets but also need to sit still and leave your net up at the same time.

Overall

On an overall, this tank is a very awkward niche TD, which only has the saving grace of a good top gun that can allow it to pound out a fair amount of damage with relative ease. The poor mobility, gun traverse, mediocre concealment, and mostly useless armor, lend to this tank being outclassed by most other choices for the tier. It doesn't help the usage of this tank either to not lead to a unique line of its own, and to be completely optional on the road to the Badger in the AT line of TDs. Not to say this tank can't fare well in a battle, but if it comes down to needing to move around the map to better locations, it won't be able to perform nearly as well as others. If you have to fight in closer quarters, stick to lower tier tanks that are likelier to bounce off of your frontal hull armor while you quickly dismantle them with the 280 alpha and fantastic penetration. Outside of this, try to stick to sniping locations near your base unless presented with no other option but to move out.

In general, this tank does best on wide open maps where it doesn't have to move too far to get into a fair sniping location, and suffers the most on maps where it has to move great distances or be confined to close quarters with tanks of upper tiers.

(Here's a quick screenshot to show that this tank still can fare well in the right circumstances. https://gyazo.com/4a...c974258c6cdccb7)

Suggested Buffs

Felt like I might as well add this in for the heck of it, because God knows this tank needs the help.

Overall as I feel after playing this tank a bit, the biggest issues it faces are the lack of mobility and armor. The speed is just too sluggish to make it to the battlefield in time, and the armor doesn't bounce enough shots for how mediocre the concealment is on this tank. An increase in the top speed to between 28 and 30 with a sufficient horsepower + power-to-weight buff, and pushing the frontal hull armor to about 130 - 135 I feel would suffice to give this tank some new life. Additionally, an added reason to use this tank would be beneficial as currently there's no specific reason to grind out the Churchill I for this tank when you can just go down the AT line straight through. Would be neat to possibly see a new British TD line added in from this, even if it lasted only through tier VIII and then merged into the Tortoise.

Anyways though, that's the gist of it. Not super complex and people may not entirely agree, but I'm curious to see what people think! Go ahead and start a conversation fellas!

sargev55 #2 Posted May 31 2019 - 22:53

Captain

• Players
  • 58985 battles
  • [_CIA_] _CIA_
That's one of the few tanks I never bothered to purchase.

TLWiz #3 Posted May 31 2019 - 23:18

Major

• -Players-
  • 21983 battles
  • [DSSRT] DSSRT
It did get a recent gun buff, which is why it is now known lovingly as the Churchill Game Carrier.  Do get one!  :honoring:

Laser_Beam #4 Posted May 31 2019 - 23:24

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 4933 battles
  • [4NZAB] 4NZAB

Nice review.

It made the worst tank about a year ago,

Edited by Laser_Beam, May 31 2019 - 23:26.

xXTheGameAceXx #5 Posted May 31 2019 - 23:33

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 11473 battles

View PostTLWiz, on May 31 2019 - 17:18, said:

It did get a recent gun buff, which is why it is now known lovingly as the Churchill Game Carrier.  Do get one!  :honoring:

Patch notes for the update that did so? Don't ever recall them mentioning it.

FrozenKemp #6 Posted May 31 2019 - 23:34

Major

• Players
  • 52443 battles

I did bother to purchase this recently because it was the only British tank I hadn't played (and I have lots and lots of credits). It truly is terrible. I had thought "I'll finish researching the one part I didn't already have unlocked" but my will to play it didn't even last that long. 

I didn't even think the gun is that great. The pen is great, yes, but the total DPS isn't all that wonderful.  If WG doesn't want to buff the armour another alternative would be to increase the ROF.  I don't think giving this 2000 DPM would be that crazy considering its many disadvantages.  (Currently the base DPM is apparently 1769.6)

Edited by FrozenKemp, May 31 2019 - 23:38.

KaiserWilhelmShatner #7 Posted May 31 2019 - 23:40

Major

• Players
  • 16742 battles
  • [F_O_G] F_O_G
Every line has a tank designed for you to free XP past.  Churchill GC is one of those tanks.

Waarheid #8 Posted May 31 2019 - 23:58

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 15464 battles

View PostKaiserWilhelmShatner, on May 31 2019 - 16:40, said:

Every line has a tank designed for you to free XP past.  Churchill GC is one of those tanks.

You're off a bit. 

The Churchill GC is a link between two lines. You can avoid it entirely. 

I have one, and like it quite a bit. As with most "bad" tanks, the key is to learn how to play within its limitations, and position yourself so you can recover from mistakes without losing too much HP. 

Edited by Waarheid, May 31 2019 - 23:58.

13Jake55 #9 Posted Jun 01 2019 - 00:14

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 20570 battles
I tried it for awhile but decided it was quicker and easier just to grind  the AT line. What it needs is a headstone but give it a few tweeks here and there it could be useful.  Its ne er going to get speed or traverse withe Church base but give a good gun depression on a swivel plate that you can rotate the cannon 15 degrees each way. 

Edited by 13Jake55, Jun 01 2019 - 00:15.

xXTheGameAceXx #10 Posted Jun 01 2019 - 01:05

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 11473 battles

View PostFrozenKemp, on May 31 2019 - 17:34, said:

I didn't even think the gun is that great. The pen is great, yes, but the total DPS isn't all that wonderful.  If WG doesn't want to buff the armour another alternative would be to increase the ROF.  I don't think giving this 2000 DPM would be that crazy considering its many disadvantages.  (Currently the base DPM is apparently 1769.6)

Honestly I'd want the mobility before anything else. If they didn't do armor though, I'd definitely agree with you. Slight increase to RoF and perhaps round up the alpha to 300, and even without fair armor and concealment, if it got the mobility alongside, it'd actually make it a very worthwhile tank to use finally.

gideon_an #11 Posted Jun 01 2019 - 06:39

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 28909 battles
  • [EWC] EWC
It is interesting to see. As soon as you see one in a game you know the person playing it is nuts and a high tolerance for pain and suffering.

gideon_an #12 Posted Jun 01 2019 - 06:41

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 28909 battles
  • [EWC] EWC
Claus Kellerman also had a review.

xXTheGameAceXx #13 Posted Jun 01 2019 - 16:42

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 11473 battles

View Post13Jake55, on May 31 2019 - 18:14, said:

I tried it for awhile but decided it was quicker and easier just to grind  the AT line. What it needs is a headstone but give it a few tweeks here and there it could be useful.  Its ne er going to get speed or traverse withe Church base but give a good gun depression on a swivel plate that you can rotate the cannon 15 degrees each way. 

Has room for better speed. Even the Churchill can get better speed if they feel like buffing it. Heck, they could give it the upgraded engine from the Churchill VII and that alone would give it a helpful little boost. Definitely won't change the physical characteristics that dramatically though.

Edited by xXTheGameAceXx, Jun 01 2019 - 16:42.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users