Wrong garage to comemorate Normandy Landings.

garage event wrong normandy D-Day offensive western bereyal

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

feanval #1 Posted Jun 04 2019 - 00:07

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 19473 battles
  • [-RH-] -RH-
I would like to open discussion on ideas for garage themes to commemorate different historic events.  What brought it up is the fact I am sick and tired of this years special garage which allegedly commemorates D-Day.  We are served a Victory parade theme which has nothing to do with event at hand.  WG_NA and it's mother company obviously does not care bout historic events unless Red Army took part in them.  There were no Soviet soldiers on the beaches of France hence we are getting rehashed theme from Victory day.  I would like to know your opinion of what would be the best garage to commemorate D-Day.  My personal recommendation is a beachhead with Sherman DD tank in the back, landing crafts and bunkers.  75th anniversary of this important event demands proper commemoration not halfhearted lack of effort which on its own might be offensive to Polish player base (only allied nation excluded from Victory parades for political reasons) and as we know Polish armed forces took part in D-Day operations.

Edited by feanval, Jun 04 2019 - 00:08.

__WarChild__ #2 Posted Jun 04 2019 - 00:12

Major

• -Players-
  • 34030 battles
  • [OPIC] OPIC
Oh my.  You should probably move to Colorado or some other state that has legal recreational "greenery" and start using ASAP.  Of the items that are important to this game, you just brought up number 10,986.  Wargaming will get to that in due course.  ;)

__WarChild__ #3 Posted Jun 04 2019 - 00:13

Major

• -Players-
  • 34030 battles
  • [OPIC] OPIC

I hope you received the M10 RBFM to help ease your pain.  I sure did:

Now THAT helped commemorate the landings for me :great:

__WarChild__

Edited by __WarChild__, Jun 04 2019 - 00:17.

feanval #4 Posted Jun 04 2019 - 00:22

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 19473 battles
  • [-RH-] -RH-

View Post__WarChild__, on Jun 03 2019 - 23:12, said:

Oh my.  You should probably move to Colorado or some other state that has legal recreational "greenery" and start using ASAP.  Of the items that are important to this game, you just brought up number 10,986.  Wargaming will get to that in due course.  ;)

As a US Navy vet I believe my brothers and sisters who went before me to fight for freedom and democracy deserve proper commemoration.  Lackluster effort (compared to what we had for Kursk) is offensive to me as a veteran.  Usage of the victory parade theme grinds my gears as a Polish person.  I can discuss it further on prv if you so desire.

Edit: and yes thanks for asking I did unlock my French TD.

Edited by feanval, Jun 04 2019 - 00:23.

__WarChild__ #5 Posted Jun 04 2019 - 00:45

Major

• -Players-
  • 34030 battles
  • [OPIC] OPIC

View Postfeanval, on Jun 03 2019 - 17:22, said:

As a US Navy vet I believe my brothers and sisters who went before me to fight for freedom and democracy deserve proper commemoration.  Lackluster effort (compared to what we had for Kursk) is offensive to me as a veteran.  Usage of the victory parade theme grinds my gears as a Polish person.  I can discuss it further on prv if you so desire.

Edit: and yes thanks for asking I did unlock my French TD.

Well, it is hard for me to debate with you what a proper commemoration would be.  Let's just say that I lose that argument 100% of the time.  However, it's not June 6th yet and we've been celebrating D-Day for over a week now.  The daily D-Day information is more than they've done in the past and I, as a lay person, have appreciated reading each day's information.  As far as the Garage goes, let me remind you that this is a Russian game and we here in the NA are just a small fraction of the playerbase.  The garage is the exact same as they've done before which is fine by me (not need for special effort) and the announcements, I assume, are in all the appropriate languages during that time period.  In the end, it's a game and although it does its best to simulate wartime conditions, it can never please all of the people all over the world all the time.

On a related note, I salute you and your commitment to this great country (http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/605569-d-day-thank-you/ ;)

:honoring:

__WarChild__

PS - I'm part Polish as well.

GenPanzer #6 Posted Jun 04 2019 - 00:47

Major

• Players
  • 45099 battles
  • [EFFIT] EFFIT

Thank you for your service. And I think all that served.

But, from past experience with issues like this, most veterans wouldn't give a crap about the goings on in a video game.

Ortinoth_ #7 Posted Jun 04 2019 - 00:52

Captain

• Players
  • 27272 battles
  • [SEGA] SEGA
you might need to research the Topic D-Day ---  after you do this please - post what you learned --  here i will summarize it for you since you seem to not know what it is - regardless of what garage we get in game ---On D-Day, 6 June 1944, Allied forces launched a combined naval, air and land assault on Nazi-occupied France. Codenamed Operation 'Overlord', the Allied landings on the Normandy beaches marked the start of a long and costly campaign to liberate north-west Europe from German occupation

Dunolig #8 Posted Jun 04 2019 - 00:57

Corporal

• Players
  • 6518 battles

View Post__WarChild__, on Jun 03 2019 - 19:13, said:

__WarChild__

You do realize even this is made up? The only French forces that landed on D-Day were 177 "commandos" from 1er Bataillon de Fusiliers Marins with the British on Sword Beach and 32 paratroops. They landed exactly zero armoured vehicles and it wouldn't have been that hard to come up with a suitable vehicle from one of the countries (or even just a commemorative skin for each of the countries) that actually did go across the beach on the 6th.

This was just an excuse, a cheesy one at that, to introduce a French premium mid-tier TD while making it look like they were paying tribute to D-Day.

feanval #9 Posted Jun 04 2019 - 01:01

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 19473 battles
  • [-RH-] -RH-

View PostOrtinoth_, on Jun 03 2019 - 23:52, said:

you might need to research the Topic D-Day ---  after you do this please - post what you learned --  here i will summarize it for you since you seem to not know what it is - regardless of what garage we get in game ---On D-Day, 6 June 1944, Allied forces launched a combined naval, air and land assault on Nazi-occupied France. Codenamed Operation 'Overlord', the Allied landings on the Normandy beaches marked the start of a long and costly campaign to liberate north-west Europe from German occupation

Believe me I have an extensive knowledge both gathered as a hobby and as a part of official curriculum that led me to obtaining my Masters degree.  Following your train of thought a garage in a shape of a lizard walking out of the Ocean would be appropriate. Without evolution there would be no homosapiens, without human race there would be no WWII and D-Day would not happen.  I would like you to research a topic called Western Betrayal maybe afterwards you will understand where I am coming from.

@ _WarChild_  I accept your opinion, you have the same right to yours as I.  When we discuss opinions it is difficult to objectively state one is right other is not.  Opinions are not facts.  I would prefer to see a tank parked between French hedges, Sherman DD on the beach, or even a forest camp with paratroopers by the fireplace.  WG made a decision to create a long buildup commemoration of a D-day, they called it so passing over Victory Day (I was surprised here) otherwise known as Dien Pobiedy - big celebration in Russian communities.  What does not fit here is a halfhearted rehashed garage.  It is like being partially pregnant - does not make sense.

Edited by feanval, Jun 04 2019 - 01:22.

Omega_Weapon #10 Posted Jun 04 2019 - 01:19

Major

• Players
  • 53547 battles
  • [GRIEF] GRIEF

View Post__WarChild__, on Jun 03 2019 - 18:13, said:

__WarChild__

It is nice that they are running a D-Day event and even made it realistically easy for most players to earn a nice reward tank. I have to agree though that the obvious re-use of the Berlin Victory in Europe garage complete with speeches by Churchill, Stalin and Truman (who wasn't even president in 1944) is in bad taste. Russian flags are displayed prominently, in the garage, but no Canadian flags. If they couldn't be bothered to use a D-Day themed garage, they really should have stuck with their standard garage.

Edited by Omega_Weapon, Jun 04 2019 - 03:18.

mrmojo #11 Posted Jun 04 2019 - 02:21

Major

• Players
  • 20455 battles
  • [-LEG-] -LEG-

They have had some good garages before, this one is a miss.

Ash_Canadian #12 Posted Jun 04 2019 - 02:23

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 65105 battles
  • [WONKA] WONKA

View PostDunolig, on Jun 03 2019 - 18:57, said:

You do realize even this is made up? The only French forces that landed on D-Day were 177 "commandos" from 1er Bataillon de Fusiliers Marins with the British on Sword Beach and 32 paratroops. They landed exactly zero armoured vehicles and it wouldn't have been that hard to come up with a suitable vehicle from one of the countries (or even just a commemorative skin for each of the countries) that actually did go across the beach on the 6th.

This was just an excuse, a cheesy one at that, to introduce a French premium mid-tier TD while making it look like they were paying tribute to D-Day.

+1.

I disagree with the OP.

This D-Day missions are a suitable commemoration to the battle. Pity the tank was not more suitable; but I rather have the M10 than another Sherman clone.

Edited to add: Now what would be really cool is a tier 5 Sherman with a DD skin......dual propellers, collapsed screen and all.

Edited by Ash_Canadian, Jun 04 2019 - 02:26.

feanval #13 Posted Jun 04 2019 - 02:33

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 19473 battles
  • [-RH-] -RH-

View PostAsh_Canadian, on Jun 04 2019 - 01:23, said:

+1.

I disagree with the OP.

This D-Day missions are a suitable commemoration to the battle. Pity the tank was not more suitable; but I rather have the M10 than another Sherman clone.

Edited to add: Now what would be really cool is a tier 5 Sherman with a DD skin......dual propellers, collapsed screen and all.

How bout missions and have the regular garage ...

dunniteowl #14 Posted Jun 04 2019 - 02:41

Major

• -Players-
  • 31544 battles

I opined in another thread that it would have been more apropos to carve out a little slice of Overlord Beach (the game Map) and place an 'outdoor' garage in that scenery.  Brandenburg Gate is in Berlin, 11 months almost to the day in the future.

Irrespective of the deals, it would be nice if WG would 'hew' a bit more to accuracy when it comes to the scenery combined with the events.  Is it necessary?

Obviously not.  Even so, I also thought, when I saw the garage showing the Brandenburg Gate, "What?  I thought this was D-Day commemoration, not VE Day."

I appreciate ANYTHING I get for free.  Six months out of a backpack being homeless can do that to a guy.  So every time WG puts on these events and I can win something -- I'm happy.

So, thanks, WG for all the cool FREE STUFF!

Next year, though, do you suppose you could place the Garage on the Overlord Beach Map instead of the Brandenburg Gate for the D-Day Event?  It'd be a nice 'immersion' set-piece for the event.  If you don't, I won't complain.  It would be nice, though.

+1 OP

Sgt. Dunniteowl, USAF, 60th MAW, 60th ABG 1981-85.  Thank you for your service, Brother.

OvO

Edited by dunniteowl, Jun 04 2019 - 02:42.

feanval #15 Posted Jun 04 2019 - 04:32

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 19473 battles
  • [-RH-] -RH-

@dunniteowl 

Thank you brother for your service and support
PO1 Feanval, USN CVN 70, DDG 65, TSC-HR, 2009-2019

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users