Can we please add another color to the armor pen circle?

pen armor rng

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

thegoldkill #1 Posted Jun 06 2019 - 21:32

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 4846 battles
  • [-TSO-] -TSO-
It isn't for the times when you have lower pen or a chance to pen, its when the crosshair is green. The chance to pen could be 70% but the crosshair would be green. This has led me to believe that I had an greater advantage than what I had and I push, but then I bounce twice in a row and die. If you want to say keep it thats fine I guess, but getting 2 bounces on something you might think would always goes through doesn't make sense to me.

Ndtm #2 Posted Jun 06 2019 - 21:44

Major

• Players
  • 17694 battles

Well.. actually..

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Battle_Mechanics#Aiming

Penetration Indicator

The penetration indicator is an option to the gun marker in your aiming reticle - enabled by default - which uses an easy colour code to help you evaluate whether you will be able to penetrate the target's armour in the location you are aiming at and with the shell you have loaded. A red indicator tells you that you will be unable to penetrate the targeted tank in that location, a yellow indicator means that the target's armour thickness lies within the -/+25% range of your penetration rating, while a green indicator means that your shell's penetration rating will exceed the target's armour thickness in all cases.

Except there is dispersion and the chance of hitting the exact pixel that you're aiming at isn't 100%

thegoldkill #3 Posted Jun 06 2019 - 21:51

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 4846 battles
  • [-TSO-] -TSO-
Ah ok. Its just that I would be aiming at a LT side and then it would not pen

RickEdwards #4 Posted Jun 06 2019 - 23:07

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 28433 battles
  • [NISHI] NISHI
Does anyone know if that indicator accounts for angle as well? In any case, it better to just not really rely on it and just learn where you can and can't pen tanks. You could also have the shell getting caught in tracks or something too.

Insanefriend #5 Posted Jun 06 2019 - 23:29

Captain

• Players
  • 46282 battles

View Postthegoldkill, on Jun 06 2019 - 14:32, said:

It isn't for the times when you have lower pen or a chance to pen, its when the crosshair is green. The chance to pen could be 70% but the crosshair would be green. This has led me to believe that I had an greater advantage than what I had and I push, but then I bounce twice in a row and die. If you want to say keep it thats fine I guess, but getting 2 bounces on something you might think would always goes through doesn't make sense to me.

It's more then likely the shell went off center once you started to move and hit a sloped plate that caused it to bounce.  With a few exceptions to outside equipment a green indication means your going to get a pen, orange is 50/50.

Ndtm #6 Posted Jun 06 2019 - 23:42

Major

• Players
  • 17694 battles

View PostRickEdwards, on Jun 06 2019 - 23:07, said:

Does anyone know if that indicator accounts for angle as well? In any case, it better to just not really rely on it and just learn where you can and can't pen tanks. You could also have the shell getting caught in tracks or something too.

I suppose i dun goofed and should've copied it all, i only skimmed through it looking for text related to the color and grabbed that text block but the second one mentions the angle and other details

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Battle_Mechanics#Aiming

Penetration Indicator

The penetration indicator is an option to the gun marker in your aiming reticle - enabled by default - which uses an easy colour code to help you evaluate whether you will be able to penetrate the target's armour in the location you are aiming at and with the shell you have loaded. A red indicator tells you that you will be unable to penetrate the targeted tank in that location, a yellow indicator means that the target's armour thickness lies within the -/+25% range of your penetration rating, while a green indicator means that your shell's penetration rating will exceed the target's armour thickness in all cases.

While the penetration indicator is an invaluable tool in discovering a target's weak spots, always be aware of its limitations. It is a simple comparison of your penetration rating versus the target's armour thickness along the normal at the aim point and does not take into account the impact angle, so even with a green penetration indicator your shot may still ricochet or fail to penetrate the target's effective armour thickness. Also, because of dispersion affecting every shot you take, you may not actually hit the weak spot you were aiming for.

cavalry11 #7 Posted Jun 06 2019 - 23:49

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 49619 battles
  • [11BAT] 11BAT
With the stupid RNG doe not matter if you can aim or not. Modern 1940s and after do not have the amount of dispersion you see in this game, so quit using it as a reason we miss.

GeorgePreddy #8 Posted Jun 07 2019 - 00:03

Major

• Players
  • 14680 battles

View PostNdtm, on Jun 06 2019 - 17:44, said:

Well.. actually..

Except there is dispersion and the chance of hitting the exact pixel that you're aiming at isn't 100%

THERE it is.  I explain this to folks all the time... the pen indicator evaluates a particular point on the target, but it doesn't tell you your chance of actually HITTING that point. That's a whole other "thang".

The important caveats:

"While the penetration indicator is an invaluable tool in discovering a target's weak spots, always be aware of its limitations. It is a simple comparison of your penetration rating versus the target's armour thickness along the normal at the aim point and does not take into account the impact angle, so even with a green penetration indicator your shot may still ricochet or fail to penetrate the target's effective armour thickness. Also, because of dispersion affecting every shot you take, you may not actually hit the weak spot you were aiming for."

Elevendy #9 Posted Jun 07 2019 - 00:27

Major

• -Players-
  • 22606 battles
  • [BULBA] BULBA

View PostRickEdwards, on Jun 06 2019 - 14:07, said:

Yes they made it so it accounts for the angle now as well. This change was introduced in late 2016.

RickEdwards #10 Posted Jun 07 2019 - 03:19

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 28433 battles
  • [NISHI] NISHI

View PostElevendy, on Jun 07 2019 - 00:27, said:

Yes they made it so it accounts for the angle now as well. This change was introduced in late 2016.

Fair enough; I've had it turned off for a while now so maybe I shouldn't be talking about it... However, I still think knowing armor layouts is better. A yellow marker seems like it could be about as good as a green one, since all yellow seems to say is "pen chance between 0 and 100."

Ndtm #11 Posted Jun 07 2019 - 15:19

Major

• Players
  • 17694 battles

View PostElevendy, on Jun 07 2019 - 00:27, said:

Oh?.. guess they haven't updated the wiki to reflect that in that case huh..  went and googled it and found a thread where I replied with the patch notes thread for 9.19.1 hah.. although it's quite vague with just saying "Changed the mechanics of armor penetration indicator"

Also tagged with pen, armor, rng

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users