• Players
  • 44044 battles

U.N. IPCC lead author speaks out.

Helpless #302 Posted Sep 19 2019 - 23:49

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 5970 battles

View PostTheManFromKekistan, on Sep 19 2019 - 12:50, said:

He is a hack journalist with zero time spent in any research lab. All he does to debunk is to quote the usual climate alarmist suspects like every other climate change shill. He is the snopes of climate change zealots.

If people he attacks don't respond why would any serious scientist worry about debating someone who doesn't actually understand anything and just regurgitates the standard lines?

What credentials other than endless shifting from one publisher to another and a single degree does he have? His 'who am I' video only repeats his journalist career and how often he has 'owned' his opponents.

Try harder.. :rolleyes:

we can find a wiki page on potholer... which offers him some kind of verifiable accreditation.... he doesnt claim to be a researcher..... and only clarifies the science for the average reader....

offering links to the data... which anyone can read for themselves....

so....exactly what qualifications does heller aka goddard have that makes him right???

Helpless #303 Posted Sep 19 2019 - 23:51

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 5970 battles

View PostKlaatu_Nicto, on Sep 19 2019 - 16:46, said:

U.N. IPCC lead author speaks out.

see once again..... u didnt bother fact checking.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PragerU

PragerU, short for Prager University, is an American non-profit organization that creates videos on various political, economic and philosophical topics from a conservative or right-wing[1] perspective. The videos are posted on YouTube and usually feature a speaker who lectures for about five minutes.[2]

PragerU is not a university, nor is it an academic institution.[3] It does not hold classes, and does not grant certifications or diplomas and is not accredited by any recognized body.[4]

Two of PragerU's largest donors are the hydraulic fracturing billionaires Dan and Farris Wilks.[7] Two members of the Wilks family are on PragerU's board.[7] The next-largest donor is the Lynde and Harry Bradley Foundation.[5][17] Other donors include the Morgan Family Foundation, Fidelity Charitable Gift FundDonors Trust, and the Minnesota-based Sid and Carol Verdoorn Foundation, led by former C.H. Robinson CEO Sid Verdoorn.[17]

The organization has a $10 million annual budget, of which it spends more than 40% on marketing.[7]

Klaatu_Nicto #304 Posted Sep 20 2019 - 00:26

Major

• Players
  • 44044 battles

I don't care about PragerU or who funds it. I care about what the U.N. IPCC lead author has to say in PragerU's video.

Helpless #305 Posted Sep 20 2019 - 00:28

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 5970 battles

View PostKlaatu_Nicto, on Sep 19 2019 - 23:26, said:

I don't care about PragerU or who funds it. I care about what the U.N. IPCC lead author has to say in PragerU's video.

but thats not an active un ipcc member..........

he retired in 2013.... his last work was 2001.... which makes it 18 years old.....

Edited by Helpless, Sep 20 2019 - 00:39.

Klaatu_Nicto #306 Posted Sep 20 2019 - 00:31

Major

• Players
  • 44044 battles

Physical Climate Processes and Feedbacks

Co-ordinating Lead Author T.F. Stocker

Lead Authors G.K.C. Clarke, H. Le Treut, R.S. Lindzen, V.P. Meleshko, R.K. Mugara, T.N. Palmer,R.T. Pierrehumbert, P.J. Sellers, K.E. Trenberth, J. Willebrand

https://www.ipcc.ch/...8/03/TAR-07.pdf

Helpless #307 Posted Sep 20 2019 - 00:34

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 5970 battles

View PostKlaatu_Nicto, on Sep 19 2019 - 23:31, said:

Physical Climate Processes and Feedbacks

Co-ordinating Lead Author T.F. Stocker

Lead Authors G.K.C. Clarke, H. Le Treut, R.S. Lindzen, V.P. Meleshko, R.K. Mugara, T.N. Palmer,R.T. Pierrehumbert, P.J. Sellers, K.E. Trenberth, J. Willebrand

https://www.ipcc.ch/...8/03/TAR-07.pdf

all of his colleagues seem to disagree with him.....

since he retired.... whos paying him???? The Guardian reported in June 2016 that Lindzen has been a beneficiary of Peabody Energy, a coal company that has funded multiple groups contesting the climate consensus

https://insideclimatenews.org/news/06032017/climate-change-denial-scientists-richard-lindzen-mit-donald-trump

"As [Lindzen's] colleagues at MIT in the Program in Atmospheres, Oceans and Climate, all of whom are actively involved in understanding climate, we write to make it clear that this is not a view shared by us, or by the overwhelming majority of other scientists who have devoted their professional lives to careful study of climate science," said the March 2 letter, signed by 22 current and retired MIT professors. The MIT staff  addressed specific inaccuracies in Lindzen's letter, including his assertion that "carbon dioxide is not a pollutant."

A petition accompanying Lindzen's letter was signed by 300 other people. Lindzen described the signatories as "eminent scientists and other qualified individuals" in his letter. A review of the names by the Guardian, however, revealed few biology, chemistry, climate, earth and physics scientists. Many are well-known climate contrarians and deniers. They include Willie Soon, an aerospace engineer at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics; Steve Goreham of the Heartland Institute, an industry backed organization that denies climate science; and William Briggs, a statistician at Cornell University who questions climate models.

"In stark contrast to Lindzen's letter, ours was signed only by those who know something about the climate system," said Kerry Emanuel, an MIT professor of atmospheric sciences who signed the letter opposing Lindzen.

the 300 who signed lindzens letter... https://www.theguardian.com/environment/climate-consensus-97-per-cent/2017/feb/27/just-who-are-these-300-scientists-telling-trump-to-burn-the-climate

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Lindzen

hes also the same guy who claims smoking doesnt cause cancer.....

The characterization of Lindzen as a contrarian has been reinforced by reports that he claims that lung cancer has only been weakly linked to smoking.

so lets break it down abit.... hes featured in a video paid for by fracking billions..... and hes paid by a coal mining company...... no bias there..... right?????

Edited by Helpless, Sep 20 2019 - 01:14.

TheManFromKekistan #308 Posted Sep 20 2019 - 01:32

Major

• -Players-
  • 28 battles

View PostHelpless, on Sep 19 2019 - 17:49, said:

we can find a wiki page on potholer... which offers him some kind of verifiable accreditation.... he doesnt claim to be a researcher..... and only clarifies the science for the average reader....

offering links to the data... which anyone can read for themselves....

so....exactly what qualifications does heller aka goddard have that makes him right???

Who cares what they say? It was you link not anyone else. As to who to follow I'll take the accredited scientists with a broad knowledge base so they can understand all the complexities of the issue and not some hack journalist with a degree anyone with a pulse can get who's entire debunking agenda works off parroting others. :popcorn:

Helpless #309 Posted Sep 20 2019 - 01:36

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 5970 battles

View PostTheManFromKekistan, on Sep 20 2019 - 00:32, said:

Who cares what they say? It was you link not anyone else. As to who to follow I'll take the accredited scientists with a broad knowledge base so they can understand all the complexities of the issue and not some hack journalist with a degree anyone with a pulse can get who's entire debunking agenda works off parroting others. :popcorn:

well if hes just debunking a nobody that u dont care about..... why do u care?

u say that u dont care... but u seem very passionate in ur criticism of him....

Edited by Helpless, Sep 20 2019 - 01:56.

TheManFromKekistan #310 Posted Sep 20 2019 - 03:04

Major

• -Players-
  • 28 battles

View PostHelpless, on Sep 19 2019 - 19:36, said:

but u seem very passionate in ur criticism of him....

Oh my.. :P

Ikanator #311 Posted Sep 20 2019 - 13:15

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 11010 battles

https://mailchi.mp/04d5b7dfa643/wmo-secretary-general-warns-against-climate-doomsters-and-extremists-174969?

Edited by Ikanator, Sep 20 2019 - 13:36.

Ikanator #312 Posted Sep 20 2019 - 13:47

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 11010 battles

Oh by the way, about that "hockey stick" graph:

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2019/08/22/breaking-dr-tim-ball-wins-michaelemann-lawsuit-mann-has-to-pay/#comment-2777679

Klaatu_Nicto #313 Posted Sep 20 2019 - 18:41

Major

• Players
  • 44044 battles

Block Quote

Moving to a renewable future as quickly as possible will require help from the incredible capital generation capabilities of the world's largest oil companies.

The numbers are impossible to ignore. Consider that ExxonMobil (NYSE:XOM), Royal Dutch Shell (NYSE:RDS-A) (NYSE:RDS-B), Chevron (NYSE:CVX), BP (NYSE BP), and Total SA (NYSE:TOT) have generated a combined $44.6 billion in free cash flow in the last 12 months. That's a whole lot of solar panels. Or research and development. Or equity investments in promising start-ups.

Turns out, big oil is doing all of the above. Here's where and how these companies are investing billions of dollars in renewable energy technologies.

https://www.fool.com...ble-energy.aspx

Block Quote

Global Warming: Follow the Money

In truth, the overwhelming majority of climate-research funding comes from the federal government and left-wing foundations. And while the energy industry funds both sides of the climate debate, the government/foundation monies go only toward research that advances the warming regulatory agenda. With a clear public-policy outcome in mind, the government/foundation gravy train is a much greater threat to scientific integrity.

The federal government — which will gain unprecedented regulatory power if climate legislation is passed — has funded scientific research to the tune of $32.5 billion since 1989, according the Science and Public Policy Institute. That is an amount that dwarfs research contributions from oil companies and utilities, which have historically funded both sides of the debate.

Mann, for example, has received some $6 million, mostly in government grants — according to a study by The American Spectator — including $500,000 in federal stimulus money while he was under investigation for his Climategate e-mails.

Despite claims that they are watchdogs of the establishment, media outlets such as the Times have ignored the government’s oversized role in directing research. And they have ignored millions in contributions from left-wing foundations — contributions that, like government grants, seek to tip the scales to one side of the debate.

https://www.national...ey-henry-payne/

Helpless #314 Posted Sep 21 2019 - 01:38

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 5970 battles

u guys are hysterical...... u latch on to anything regardless of how dubious.... because u want to believe.....

rofl u guys remind me of the sovereign citizen movement........ IM NOT DRIVING!!!! I"M TRAVELING!!!!!!!

in one breath... u scream the global warming guys are after the free government green energy money..... and thats bad.... in the next breath big oil is investing in green energy to get that same free money from the government... and thats good..... u guys link nothing but oil financed blogs featuring oil paid scientits ..... that only give u half the story and twist the numbers.... and anyone who tries to give u all the truthful info is lying!!!

the next ice age is due in around 16,000 years....so yes... ice is in our future.... but does it matter??? 

out of curiosity... what are ur nutter ice age coming soon guys doing about stopping it??? nothing???

and the thing that really confuses me is..... is that u guys want the world to end..... so what does it matter on how it ends???

Helpless #315 Posted Sep 21 2019 - 02:09

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 5970 battles

View PostIkanator, on Sep 20 2019 - 12:47, said:

Helpless #316 Posted Sep 21 2019 - 02:24

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 5970 battles
its friday night.... me and the guys are going for beers.... u guys have fun hanging out on the forums...

Klaatu_Nicto #317 Posted Sep 21 2019 - 06:08

Major

• Players
  • 44044 battles

Ikanator #318 Posted Sep 21 2019 - 14:19

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 11010 battles

Helpless, you are truly incredible. Your reading comprehension is even worse than your abysmal ability to use proper English for written communication. I would highly recommend that you not go out drinking that often. You haven't got too many more brain cells that you can afford to lose.

First of all it was really only necessary to read the description of the article contained in the link to get the gist of what it was about. I will highlight it for you here.

Dr. Tim Ball wins Michael E Mann lawsuit, Mann has to pay

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2019/08/22/breaking-dr-tim-ball-wins-michaelemann-lawsuit-mann-has-to-pay/#comment-2777679

So what was going on in the article that Helpless was so busy ignoring/trying to distract attention from? Well, Dr. Mann was the guy who developed the "hockey stick" graph. Various people, Dr. Ball chief among them, challenged Dr. Mann to release the data and analysis techniques that were used to produce that graph. Dr. Mann refused claiming that the data and analysis techniques were "proprietary".

Anybody who knows anything at all about science knows that in order for things to be taken as valid they have to able to be reproduced by different people applying valid analysis techniques to a set of data. Dr. Mann's refusal to provide that data and the analysis techniques that he used effectively took the "hockey stick" graph out of the realm of science, as without that information nobody else could double check and confirm it.

Dr. Ball pointed that out. Dr. Mann's response to that was to sue Dr. Ball for defamation in order to try to collect an exorbitant sum of money from Dr. Ball. The case went to court in 2011. Then Dr. Mann moved for an adjournment. This was granted by the court, but in order to get that adjournment Dr. Mann had to agree to provide all the documents and computer codes that he used to generate the "hockey stick" graph to Dr. Ball. Dr. Mann failed to do that. Because Dr. Mann failed to provide the information he had agreed to provide, his lawsuit against Dr. Ball was dismissed and Dr. Mann was ordered to pay Dr. Ball's court costs.

So the question becomes why would Dr. Mann fail to provide the information that he had agreed to provide with a lawsuit at stake which would have enabled him to financially ruin Dr. Ball? I very strongly suspect that the reason is the entire "hockey stick" graph is nothing more than a crudely done fabrication. Thus if the actual data and analysis techniques used to produce the "hockey stick" graph had been given to Dr. Ball he could have proven that the entire thing was hogwash.

Thus we can see that the videos Helpless linked dealing with an alleged analysis of Antarctic ice core data are totally irrelevant to the topic under discussion. That all revolves around Dr. Mann's refusal to provide information that he had agreed to provide.  Furthermore, I very strongly suspect that everything Helpless linked is hogwash for two reasons. The first is that if the information could have been used to provide confirmation of the "hockey stick" graph that would have stood up to rigorous scientific analysis then Dr. Mann could have used it as part of the information packet that he should have provided to Dr. Ball. In which case that would have helped Dr. Mann to collect a financially ruinous sum of money from Dr. Ball.

The second reason deals with actual second hand knowledge. My father was part of the team that built the original Amundsen-Scott south pole station, and he was also part of the first wintering over party at the geographic south pole. As a result I have had a lifelong interest in the various different research undertakings that have been going on in Antarctica and am somewhat familiar with the actual data which has been produced by them. I do not know of any valid ice core samples taken from any glacier in any part of the world and subjected to rigorous scientific analysis that actually back up the "hockey stick" graph.

Given that Helpless would likely disagree with me if I were to state that the sun was probably going to rise in the east tomorrow then I see no need to waste more of my time in this particular discussion. If anybody other than Helpless is interested in a serious discussion of this then I will take the time to give a documented reply.

Helpless #319 Posted Sep 21 2019 - 15:20

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 5970 battles

lol ikanator..... do u know the difference between a BLOG and an actual news agency?????... the wattsupwiththat is just a junk climate denier blog.... it routinely posts dubious articles with twisted facts and outright lies.....

but just like sovereign citizens... climate deniers dont care... cause they need those lies more than they need the truth....

the hockey stick graph was in one of potholers videos.... he explains it slowly... so even someone like u can understand it.... in the video description he posts his sources... so everyone can verify what he has said for themselves...

i strongly.... and i mean strongly encourage u to watch all of his videos..... then i challenge u to find errors in them... then share those errors with him via utube message and us via the forums.... make sure and post ur sources...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCljE1ODdSF7LS9xx9eWq0GQ

seems like maybe u should have went out and had fun last night.... instead of sitting on the forums.....

btw... this is tim ball https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Ball

In response, Ball filed a lawsuit against Johnson. Johnson's statement of defence was provided by the Calgary Herald, which stated that Ball "...never had a reputation in the scientific community as a noted climatologist and authority on global warming," and that he "...is viewed as a paid promoter of the agenda of the oil and gas industry rather than as a practicing scientist."[49] In the ensuing court case, Ball acknowledged that he had only been a tenured professor for eight years, and that his doctorate was not in climatology but rather in the broader discipline of geography,[42] and subsequently withdrew the lawsuit on June 8, 2007

and this is the mann case

The Frontier Centre for Public Policy's web site published a February 2011 interview, in which Ball told an anonymous interviewer that Michael E. Mann, director of the Earth System Science Center at Pennsylvania State University, "should be in the State Pen, not Penn State". This referred to Mann's role in the Climatic Research Unit email controversy.[57] Mann then sued Ball and Frontier Centre for libel,[58] and stated that he was seeking punitive damages and for the article to be removed from the web site.[59] On 7 June 2019 the Frontier Centre For Public Policy published a retraction and apology[60] and settled their part of the case with Mann.[61] The lawsuit against Tim Ball was dismissed on Aug 22, 2019 and court costs were awarded to Ball. The actual defamation claims were not judged, but instead the case was dismissed due to inexcusable delay by Mann's legal team

and lastly.... how many times now have u said... i'm not going to talk to helpless again... and then do the opposite???? u dont seem like a man of ur word.....

Edited by Helpless, Sep 21 2019 - 16:23.

Klaatu_Nicto #320 Posted Sep 21 2019 - 18:05

Major

• Players
  • 44044 battles

"[W]e have to offer up scary scenarios, make simplified, dramatic statements, and make little mention of any doubts we may have. Each of us has to decide what the right balance is between being effective and being honest." - -Stephen Schneider, proponent of the theory that CFCs are depleting the ozone

What happens when one of the world's greatest and most respected scientists does not play by the above rules.

[Freeman] Dyson is a scientist whose intelligence is revered by other scientists — William Press, former deputy director of the Los Alamos National Laboratory and now a professor of computer science at the University of Texas, calls him “infinitely smart.” Dyson — a mathematics prodigy who came to this country at 23 and right away contributed seminal work to physics by unifying quantum and electrodynamic theory — not only did path-breaking science of his own; he also witnessed the development of modern physics, thinking alongside most of the luminous figures of the age, including Einstein, Richard Feynman, Niels Bohr, Enrico Fermi, Hans Bethe, Edward Teller, J. Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Witten, the “high priest of string theory” whose office at the institute is just across the hall from Dyson’s.

However, since coming “out of the closet as far as global warming is concerned,” as Dyson sometimes puts it, there has been noise all around him. Chat rooms, Web threads, editors’ letter boxes and Dyson’s own e-mail queue resonate with a thermal current of invective in which Dyson has discovered himself variously described as “a pompous twit,” “a blowhard,” “a cesspool of misinformation,” “an old coot riding into the sunset” and, perhaps inevitably, “a mad scientist.”

https://www.nytimes....etType=REGIWALL

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users