Getting Gud

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Get_Off_My_Lawn54 #1 Posted Jun 07 2019 - 22:59

Corporal

• Players
  • 334 battles

Ok, here's my situation :  Recently retired, still not enough spare time to get involved with a clan, wanting to develop a strategy to increase my skills at the game. Now that the D-Day missions are over, want to concentrate on how to "get gud".

For the D-Day missions, I only had the Pz IIIJ and the Pz IVD for missions (no Tier VII to go that option). Got enough experience and credits to get the PZ III/IV. For my free Tier VI got the T-34-85, was also offered a trial period for the T34-85M (scraped enough gold together to buy it). So, I'm pretty well set up for medium tanks for now. Was able to work part way up the American TD line to get the M8A1. With the M10 I got for the D-Day missions, I've got 2 turreted TDs to learn on. When I started my account, I used the code from 4Tankersanddog (RUDYRUDYRUDY) which also got me 2 premium scouts (Pz T15 and Russian T-127) so I have some low levels scouts. So....what next?

1. I've started watching some Youtube videos (Quickybaby, Lemmingrush, 4tankersanddog, Taugrim, Guido1212) trying to get hints and watch gameplay. Are there other's that would be helpful for me?

2. 4tankersanddog has some good vids on where to scout on certain maps. Are there good guides on where to go for MTs and TDs?

3. Should I concentrate on a certain tank type until I'm comfortable with it? Or should I use the shotgun approach and just run thru all the tanks in my garage?

4. Who has some decent map guides that describe where to go with certain types, or what are good strategies for each map?

During the D-Day missions, I was in a hurry to get those missions done, was rushing thru them without learning much. Now I want to slow down and try to "get gud". Any suggestions would be appreciated

Ikanator #2 Posted Jun 07 2019 - 23:48

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 11010 battles

My two cents for whatever you think they're worth.

(1) Might be better off initially finding one type of tank/tech line and sticking with that until you get good with it before you move on. Pick the one that best suits your play style. I suppose it could be a case of "shotgun" until you find what you like and then sticking with that almost exclusively.

(2) Crew skills are incredibly important, especially when you are just starting. I would recommend that you keep playing a tank until you can build up a 2 or more skill crew before you move on. Then give serious thought to moving your crew up the line to the next tank and getting a new crew for the old tank, using it as a trainer.

(3) When you get a vehicle to elite status, check the "Accelerate Crew Training" box. Otherwise you will build up a ludicrous amount of experience points for that vehicle which will do you no good unless you spend real money to get gold to convert them to free experience.

(4) While I have pretty much settled on TDs for now, I have to admit they can be a challenge to play well. For just starting out you might want to pick something different to concentrate on. If you like mediums I would suggest sticking with those.

(5) There will be all too common times when it seems that you just can't get a "win" regardless of what you do. If you find yourself stuck in a real bad losing streak, just quit the game and do something else for a while.

(6) That's pretty much it. While there are a lot of good videos out there which can help, you will still need to just play a lot. No real substitute for practice. It's one thing to know intellectually what to do with your vehicle, it's another thing to develop the skill/reflexes to do it in a split second or so in the game.

Edited by Ikanator, Jun 07 2019 - 23:50.

XJUNKMANX #3 Posted Jun 08 2019 - 00:19

Captain

• Players
  • 46870 battles
  • [POPN] POPN
well do you want get good or do you just want your stats to look good two different things 

Edited by venom286, Jun 08 2019 - 00:21.

GWyatt #4 Posted Jun 08 2019 - 00:23

Captain

• Players
  • 6000 battles
  • [VAN] VAN

View PostGet_Off_My_Lawn54, on Jun 07 2019 - 16:59, said:

4. Who has some decent map guides that describe where to go with certain types, or what are good strategies for each map?

Check out Wotguru.com for Map Strats that can get you started.

Get_Off_My_Lawn54 #5 Posted Jun 08 2019 - 00:40

Corporal

• Players
  • 334 battles

View Postvenom286, on Jun 07 2019 - 17:19, said:

well do you want get good or do you just want your stats to look good two different things 

Please explain to me why they are different things....

Harvester_0f_Sorrow #6 Posted Jun 08 2019 - 01:04

Captain

• Players
  • 42108 battles
  • [_TVS_] _TVS_
Experience is everything, it will probably take you 10 thousand battles before you get good. And yes some tanks are way better than others but its mainly how they are used. One thing you / everybody really needs to do is watch the map. You do not want to be alone out there, sometimes teams will all go one way ( lemmings ) so you really need to be aware of what is going on. Good luck out there

death_stryker #7 Posted Jun 08 2019 - 01:31

Captain

• Players
  • 4615 battles

View PostGet_Off_My_Lawn54, on Jun 07 2019 - 16:40, said:

Please explain to me why they are different things....

They are referring to the distinction between good stats due to skill and good stats due to statpadding. At this point in your WoT career, don't worry too much about these things. Right now I think it's much more important to figure out a direction to head in; I personally recommend sticking with your preferred tank type in the beginning.

Get_Off_My_Lawn54 #8 Posted Jun 08 2019 - 01:32

Corporal

• Players
  • 334 battles

View PostHarvester_0f_Sorrow, on Jun 07 2019 - 18:04, said:

Experience is everything, it will probably take you 10 thousand battles before you get good. And yes some tanks are way better than others but its mainly how they are used. One thing you / everybody really needs to do is watch the map. You do not want to be alone out there, sometimes teams will all go one way ( lemmings ) so you really need to be aware of what is going on. Good luck out there

Thanks for the reply. I do need to follow your tip on not going out alone. I already am finding myself running out in front of my support to get to a certain spot before the red team. Instead of "A Bridge Too Far", I suffer from "A Bush Too Far". Patience is not one of my virtues....

stalkervision #9 Posted Jun 08 2019 - 01:39

Major

• Players
  • 90156 battles
Op, just have Fun in the game.That is what it's all about. If you don't have fun it's not worth playing. 

BoghieWanKanobie #10 Posted Jun 08 2019 - 01:53

Major

• Players
  • 11789 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT
  1. I've started watching some Youtube videos (Quickybaby, Lemmingrush, 4tankersanddog, Taugrim, Guido1212) trying to get hints and watch gameplay. Are there other's that would be helpful for me?
    Great choices on the YouTube video content.  Awesome choices.  I'm going to add something you may not have thought of - watch 'em live on Twitch.  You can learn an awful lot by watching these and other good players make mistakes and recover from those mistakes.  Oftentimes, they will walk you through their decision process as well.  It might be a bit above your pay grade right now - but it is always good to wind down a day watching things blow up.  Right now, I would add Cody Menz, Likadesplit, TRUvoodoo, Jerm, and 06wallst as Twitchy guys.  There are others.  XRays is a blast.  MrBeetleBum is focused on NewBs.  And, watching Tsavo go all aggro and get all blowed up is always good:-)

2. 4tankersanddog has some good vids on where to scout on certain maps. Are there good guides on where to go for MTs and TDs?
    Spend your time at Tiers IV - VI developing crews and learning maps.  I focus of Vision - I get vision based equipment (Coated Optics, Vents, Camo) and vision oriented skills (Camo, Situational Awareness, Recon, BIA).  You at least want to see what kills you :-).  MTs can go where combat scouts go with some care and they can play in the HT zone with some care.  WoTGuru - as mentioned above - has some great map guides.  4Tankers has his WoT 100, 200, and 300 college level courses.  View and UNDERSTAND them.

3. Should I concentrate on a certain tank type until I'm comfortable with it? Or should I use the shotgun approach and just run thru all the tanks in my garage?
    If you want to get good find a line that has good tanks at Tiers V and VI.  The Russian T-34 line is good, the American M4 line is good, and for the stout at heart the Italian P.43 line is quite good.  If you notice they are all mediums.  That is my preference.  The folks around here helped drag me out of BotLand by having me focus on the M4, the T1 Heavy, and the T-34. Mess around and pick a type that you like.  I would not use the shotgun approach if you want to win.  You must focus to get enough games in to skill up a few crews.  Once done those will be money makers and crew trainers forever.

WoTGuru and 4Tankers.  If you are confused in a game find a tank as close to yours as possible and follow him into battle.  This is obviously better at Tiers V and Vi.  A NewB following a NewB is a bit of a disaster:-).  Don't sweat the little stuff.  The very best players out there lose 40% of the time.  

Edited by Boghie, Jun 08 2019 - 01:55.

Get_Off_My_Lawn54 #11 Posted Jun 08 2019 - 02:59

Corporal

• Players
  • 334 battles

View Poststalkervision, on Jun 07 2019 - 18:39, said:

Op, just have Fun in the game.That is what it's all about. If you don't have fun it's not worth playing. 

Believe me, I am having fun. But I'm conscious that I am on a team, and I'd just as soon not be the one letting everyone down. And I find winning a little more enjoyable than loosing....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users