Buy Modules On Sale - Profit When Sale Ends?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Jhuderis #1 Posted Jun 14 2019 - 17:08

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 4834 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

I've heard a few people talk about buying stuff at 50% off and then selling it back when the sale ends. Does this actually work? If I blow all my credits on modules at 50% off and then wait a few days, will I actually make a profit that's worthwhile?

YANKEE137 #2 Posted Jun 14 2019 - 17:13

Major

• -Players-
  • 13559 battles
  • [6-ACR] 6-ACR
No, it doesn't work. 

Stormer100 #3 Posted Jun 14 2019 - 17:13

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 15636 battles
  • [PRGY] PRGY
It doesn't work. When you sell something, you get 50% of its silver value. So unless you buy something for over 50% off, there's no profit, and if you sell something that you bought at 50%, you break even and don't lose any silver.

GenPanzer #4 Posted Jun 14 2019 - 17:26

Major

• Players
  • 43903 battles
So you think paying 50% of full price now and then getting 50% of full price back later somehow makes a profit?

Garandster #5 Posted Jun 14 2019 - 17:31

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 5830 battles

There is no way to profit off it, but if you have the credits lying around I highly recommend buying equipment and consumables that you might need in the future.

I like running food in my lights so I'm always buying it and always buying more equipment every sale, to the point both were in quite a surplus in my depot. The nice part is if I need to sell them down the road I net even, so that means I had a nice "piggy bank" when I needed to come up with like 40 million credits for the Black Market :)

dunniteowl #6 Posted Jun 14 2019 - 17:54

Major

• -Players-
  • 29732 battles

View PostJhuderis, on Jun 14 2019 - 10:08, said:

I've heard a few people talk about buying stuff at 50% off and then selling it back when the sale ends. Does this actually work? If I blow all my credits on modules at 50% off and then wait a few days, will I actually make a profit that's worthwhile?

No.  You buy it for half off (50%) and when they are not on sale you sell it back at 50% value = wash/push/even

OvO

Jhuderis #7 Posted Jun 15 2019 - 00:38

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 4834 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT
Figured it wasn't a thing. Thanks for confirming everyone :)

3BAC #8 Posted Jun 15 2019 - 01:41

Major

• Players
  • 65962 battles
  • [-RECK] -RECK

View PostJhuderis, on Jun 14 2019 - 23:38, said:

Figured it wasn't a thing. Thanks for confirming everyone :)

the advantage of buying it at half off is, if you get strapped for credits, you can sell them at cost. 

dunniteowl #9 Posted Jun 15 2019 - 02:12

Major

• -Players-
  • 29732 battles

The idea behind buying things on half off sale is that it reduces your Up Front Cost of consumables, modules, etc.  As 3BAC points out, when the stuff is NOT on sale, you can, if you are cash strapped, sell them at cost and at least you get your price paid back -- sort of like a 'piggy' bank.

However, the REAL advantage is that, if you save your credits and then BUY TONS of stuff on sale, it keeps you 'flush' with items at half price that you replace as necessary, reducing your general 'operating' costs, thus allowing you to generate MORE income over time that you can stockpile --  because, without dipping into your 'credits accrued' as you play, the money builds up 'faster' while you use the stuff you bought at half off. cutting your operating costs in half while collecting more credits for the next sale.

I currently have:

2082 Auto Fire Exts.

2155 Lg. 1st Aid Kits

2048 Lg. Repair Kits

2663 Man. Fire Exts.

3311 Sm. 1st Aid Kits

2622 Sm. Repair Kits

Yes... that's a lot of consumables.  All that cost me like 45 Million Credits over two sales.  The first sale I spent 22 Million on just consumables, bought some other Complex Equipment Modules for another 6 million or so (so I don't have to buy them to outfit a new tank at full cost).

And, in the 2nd sale (today) I spent 20.5 Million More credits on just more consumables.

These things, tucked safely away and purchase at half off represent close to 100,000,000 credits. (One Hundred Million).  If I bought them at full price.  It means that I am going to get TWICE as far before I need to replenish those Consumables, Complex Equipment and Modules  (I have a lot of tank Modules: radios, engines, tracks, turrets, guns and shells) that allow me to operate at half cost while earning full cost in credits and XP.

When the next sale happens?  I'm probably going to be sitting on something like 30 Million or more credits -- except it's very likely I won't need to replenish for another two sales, which means I may be sitting on two or three times that before I feel like spending big again.

That is how you PROFIT from buying these things at half off:

Reduced Up Front Operating Costs

Stockpiled Goods Ready to Go

Not "Soaking" Off Your Credits While Playing (quicker revenue generation without getting dinked 'full price' each time they are used)

All this adds up to, in the long run, MORE CREDITS saved than Spent.  Which means, the next time a sale comes up, you have more credits to buy MORE stuff to prolong the situation again, to increase and so on and so forth...

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO

Boghie #10 Posted Jun 15 2019 - 13:24

Captain

• -Players-
  • 8288 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

Good Lord DunniteOwl:)

I thought I was doing good with 300 of each of the consumables I use (Small and Large Med, Repair, and Fire).  Just bought four vents (LT/MT), four rammers (LT/MT), four Coated Optics, and four VStabs.  I thought I spent some money.

I'm going to have to figure out how to increase my damage/xp per game.  Having a cool 30 mill would be sweet during sales.

dunniteowl #11 Posted Jun 15 2019 - 15:56

Major

• -Players-
  • 29732 battles

Thanks, Boghie.

I really owe it to learning those game mechanics I keep promoting in my posts linking the WoT Welcome Package.  That stuff in there took me up only 2% in my Overalls, though in my recents (except for the last month or two, yecch, long slow losing streak) popped up around 6% higher for a very long time and remained pretty consistent.

I pop boosters in when the ping is good.  I hardly play any of my Premiums, due to mosty playing SPGs.  I think the key for me is, even with all the technological hurdles I have (old computer, wireless internet, etc) I still do manage to win a bit more than I lose and that Victory Bonus really does make a difference.  Additionally, even though I am not normally playing 'carry' units (SPGs, slow TDs) I do a good deal more than my fair share, again even owing for my challenges just to be able to play the game (~11fps, ~200ms) which now includes that DAMN SWAYING JELLO MARKER (arrrgh), I am usually sitting in the top five damage dealers on my teams.  So even in a losing match, if you took all my lost matches, about 2/3 of them provide me with Courageous Resistance, so I'm still getting the Victory Bonus, too in those.

That stuff adds up.

Survive

Do Damage

Help Your Team

I play by that.  I use it to guide me as to my immediate priority in the game and from that draw on the stuff I learned that I promote.

Not sure how much me being a stubborn cuss who is determined to give the paying players a quality 'fodder player' experience comes into play, but you gotta have standards.

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO

_ShakeNBake_ #12 Posted Jun 15 2019 - 18:24

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 14055 battles

View Postdunniteowl, on Jun 14 2019 - 18:12, said:

[A perfect explanation]

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO

Many people fail to see how important the economics are. Every advantage adds up. Stockpiled consumables / equipment (why shouldn’t I have 10 coated optics in depot?) can be used as is at any time or sold back at cost (except during sales). Even tier 5 tanks can be picked up for a long-term “free” right now.

Boghie #13 Posted Jun 15 2019 - 20:15

Captain

• -Players-
  • 8288 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View Postdunniteowl, on Jun 15 2019 - 09:56, said:

Thanks, Boghie.

I really owe it to learning those game mechanics I keep promoting in my posts linking the WoT Welcome Package.  That stuff in there took me up only 2% in my Overalls, though in my recents (except for the last month or two, yecch, long slow losing streak) popped up around 6% higher for a very long time and remained pretty consistent.

I pop boosters in when the ping is good.  I hardly play any of my Premiums, due to mosty playing SPGs.  I think the key for me is, even with all the technological hurdles I have (old computer, wireless internet, etc) I still do manage to win a bit more than I lose and that Victory Bonus really does make a difference.  Additionally, even though I am not normally playing 'carry' units (SPGs, slow TDs) I do a good deal more than my fair share, again even owing for my challenges just to be able to play the game (~11fps, ~200ms) which now includes that DAMN SWAYING JELLO MARKER (arrrgh), I am usually sitting in the top five damage dealers on my teams.  So even in a losing match, if you took all my lost matches, about 2/3 of them provide me with Courageous Resistance, so I'm still getting the Victory Bonus, too in those.

That stuff adds up.

Survive

Do Damage

Help Your Team

I play by that.  I use it to guide me as to my immediate priority in the game and from that draw on the stuff I learned that I promote.

Not sure how much me being a stubborn cuss who is determined to give the paying players a quality 'fodder player' experience comes into play, but you gotta have standards.

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO

You know DunniteOwl,

The comment about the 'Victory Bonus' kinda wipes out the rote 'No cap, kill all' argument.  Now, don't get me wrong - I think capping is normally a mistake.  It should not be done when there are tanks capable of resetting left in the game.  On the other hand, I was just in a game where capping would have won it - or, would have forced a very good player out of his hull down position.  Winning the game gives you a 50% bonus to your XP.  There is no way chasing that last 200 HP left on the table - along with your five eager friends - is going to clear that 50% bonus.  Bro, take the win...

But, that brings up your mantra:

• Survive
  • Do Damage
  • Help Your Team

While I did play well in the above game I DID NOT survive.  I did not have the option to cap for fight.  I was dead, and most advice from dead players is ignored by the future dead.  I also did not do ENOUGH damage.  That good player in the hull down position devoured me like a good steak.  I did not poke properly, I did not flex properly, I did not flank properly, I did not die killing him.  I did help the team.  I locked him down.  But, I did not survive and I did not damage him enough.  I knew it, so after one ignored comment about capping (all they had was three slow heavies on Glacier) I clammed up and watched the guy chew on our fat.  Chew he did.  Got himself some medals.  I got myself tilted. Not the same...

Scrawnybeaver #14 Posted Jun 17 2019 - 22:29

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 11404 battles

View PostJhuderis, on Jun 14 2019 - 17:08, said:

Actually, you can.  What you have to do is buy a bundle (during the sale) which comes at a discount.  Then (after the sale) sell the items individually.   You will make something like 10% of your money depending on what you buy.  

gingerted91 #15 Posted Jun 18 2019 - 00:14

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 1312 battles
  • [MORDR] MORDR

View PostScrawnybeaver, on Jun 17 2019 - 22:29, said:

Actually, you can.  What you have to do is buy a bundle (during the sale) which comes at a discount.  Then (after the sale) sell the items individually.   You will make something like 10% of your money depending on what you buy.  

That is a fair point, when there are no sales you can buy equipment and consumable "bundles" and save a little cash upfront.  The discount is less than 50% and when on sale is 50% so you still can't game the system buying bundles and selling back individually...

dunniteowl #16 Posted Jun 18 2019 - 01:48

Major

• -Players-
  • 29732 battles

View PostBoghie, on Jun 15 2019 - 13:15, said:

You know DunniteOwl,

The comment about the 'Victory Bonus' kinda wipes out the rote 'No cap, kill all' argument.  Now, don't get me wrong - I think capping is normally a mistake.  It should not be done when there are tanks capable of resetting left in the game.  On the other hand, I was just in a game where capping would have won it - or, would have forced a very good player out of his hull down position.  Winning the game gives you a 50% bonus to your XP.  There is no way chasing that last 200 HP left on the table - along with your five eager friends - is going to clear that 50% bonus.  Bro, take the win...

But, that brings up your mantra:

• Survive
  • Do Damage
  • Help Your Team

While I did play well in the above game I DID NOT survive.  I did not have the option to cap for fight.  I was dead, and most advice from dead players is ignored by the future dead.  I also did not do ENOUGH damage.  That good player in the hull down position devoured me like a good steak.  I did not poke properly, I did not flex properly, I did not flank properly, I did not die killing him.  I did help the team.  I locked him down.  But, I did not survive and I did not damage him enough.  I knew it, so after one ignored comment about capping (all they had was three slow heavies on Glacier) I clammed up and watched the guy chew on our fat.  Chew he did.  Got himself some medals.  I got myself tilted. Not the same...

I have ZERO issue with a cap win.  I don't normally push for them, myself, however there are times when it just makes more sense to do it than it does to chase one unit, maybe two, all over hell and gone for the last tank and a half's worh of HP for what's left of them and risk doing something dumb and costing yourself the Victory bonus for one more shot, maybe two of damage?  And that's only if YOU are the tank that finds them first -- and before they find you.

My mantra for play is like, in "the Pirates of the Caribbean" the Pirate Code isn't really a code.  It's more of a guideline, really.  In other words, there might be times when you do sacrifice your tank to make a play, though one must consider what it is you are 'providing' the team when you do such a thing.  There might be times when you do not directly try to help your team and you run, obeying Survive instead, knowing that standing and trying to help that other one or two on your team will only get you taken down with them.  Other times, you might see that coming and position to be safe from their approach while still supporting your other less swift or mobile team mates so they can get cover by holding that approach to a crawl.

I think the largest tool anyone can learn to make use of that will help their play is really learning how much information the Mini-Map provides you when combined with the just the team composition list.  You learn to keep track of units on the map, how many are left and what type, then you can be well on your way to becoming more predictive in your actions -- and, hopefully, more accurate in those predictions as you play.

Just making better choices will improve pretty much all aspects of your play.  Fun, stats, wins, more drawn out engagements,  More credits and XP in the same time.

I notice the difference in the 'fun' aspect just in feeling a drop in my wins, especially if I can see I am not doing well in general.  If I lose a game and did really well and maybe the game lasted mid length to near end of match and I lose, I consider that *(usually) a mark of a hard played game [that said, there is an equal probability that said long drawn out game was a camp/snooze fest after the first four minutes] a decent game.

Even so, again, we're talking about being in top damage positions and getting some achievement that provides one with Courageous Resistance, providing a bonus as if it were a Victory Bonus.  That definitely takes the 'sting' out of the loss to some degree.

Mostly, though, when I'm playing, I do my best to keep it firmly in mind my Mantra as i sort through all my options of play and what's occurring around me for what I should be doing.  I have a fairly large repertoire of 'things I do' that I am not sure if others do.  If others do these things then I will believe it is a logical outcome seeing things from a certain perspective.  Those are things for another time and another thread altogether.

If my heart is not beating fast at the end of the time I have in a match, then I wasn't doing very much or I didn't get a chance to do something.  I have my most fun when sitting there a few moments after the match and I mentally review the events I just experienced, looking at other things I could have done, the things I did do, how things worked out, etc. Even in good matches I might critique my efforts so that I might avoid mistakes in the future (in good matches, when you make mistakes, most times, the reason the match is good is that your opponent, for whatever reason, couldn't take advantage of that mistake, allowing you another chance to win).

As to surviving, I have found that there seems to be a 'sweet spot' of survival rates.  When you hit around 29% you are also generally getting close to or are just at a 50% general WR.  If you get it up closer to 35%, it's around 52%.  Once it gets around 40%, then the type and quality of damage you do is going to have to improve as your overall survival rate is about as high as it can get without you doing more or hiding more.  If one's survival rate is relatively high (above 33%) and a WR is below 48%, then that probably means you're sitting too still too long out of play, then hiding in the end game, trying to avoid getting swamped in more of your losses than not.

So you definitely want to:

Survive, because you can't do anything if you're not in the game.  You can't JUST survive, though.  You have to also

Do Damage, because as long as the other team is out there, they want to eliminate you, so you better get them first -- and fast, so you can

Help Your Team to do their best to achieve the end objective of winning.  Sometimes, you can delay, block, distract, run and pop up again to do this.

You can't make others do this, you can only do your best to make it happen with what YOU do out there.  If things go to hell, it's time to step up, take a breath and get focused.  I can't tell you how many times I knew I was done for, just picked one of the three or four targets against me and fired, then did it again -- and again, then I get taken down.  I consider those 'good' trades.

Most importantly, though, it's more FUN like that for me, so I do my best to play my best and help make that happen.  So far, I have been very happy with the results of my practices when playing this game.

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO

Edited by dunniteowl, Jun 18 2019 - 01:55.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users