• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Laserpointer_1 #1 Posted Jun 15 2019 - 09:34

Private

• -Players-
  • 7046 battles
  • [11TH2] 11TH2

First post. Here we go.

Been reading the forums since my first days, i've already read basically everything that's here - any guide i could get my hands on.
For 6k battles, I think i'm doing pretty well in all classes.

except for light tanks. Read countless guides on proper positioning, and still i can't do much in a battle.
The thing is - there are way too many situations that i can get in - on a lot of maps - to learn everything from guides and videos.
I've learned scouting positions - be it passive or active - but if an ally LT gets there before me, i don't know what else i could do.
After scouting's done and a few tanks are left on both teams, then I have to do a breakthrough in enemy lines. Most of the time i get it wrong and go boom.
Almost always too late to leave the passive scouting bush or active scouting zone. I know what's going on at all times via my trusty minimap, but i just don't know how i can help the other flank 99% of the time.
I'm stuck on LT-13 on StuG IV campaign and i find it pretty pathetic how i can't get 700 spotting damage.
Should I be worried, or am i too inexperienced to play light tanks? LT missions are really halting my progress on the campaign, while i've done the others a while ago.
Again, first post, so it might be stupid, but any help would be massively appreciated.

Izgoy0899 #2 Posted Jun 15 2019 - 10:59

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 654 battles
  • [SHRKE] SHRKE

I'm not the best at LTs, but better than I was in WoT console and my most played class here.  Yet there are others MUCH better than I am.  I just watched videos on the topic and game play.  Learning spotting locations and what have you. 

A few You Tubers I watched for help:

-4 Tankers and a Dog

-Dauntless Tanker

-Lemming Rush

-Taugrim

Also I finished the LT missions for the STuGIV, SEA server (All w/ honors) and NA server, just trying to get the last w/ honors on that one where I have to cap or decap.  Getting damage is easy if you have a tank high enough, I used my Type 62 on SEA for all of the missions, and the LT-432 or HWK30 here on NA.  I would think a Type 64 would work as well.  In short any LT, TT or Premium, tier 6-8 and I just used the higher tier premiums for bigger hitpoint numbers avaliable.  The spotting missions are also map dependant, if you get Himmelsdorf suck it up and wait for the next game hoping to get an open map.  Know the spotting locations for maps, or an idea where to go, and have a decent crew with at least 6st sense and camo.  Also try to have a decent spotting range, 450m, it does make a differnce. 

I'd say a lot is practice, trial and error, experience.  I am still having trouble with the switch from scout to more aggressive at the perfect time.  My issue though lately is adapting to wheeled vehical players that just yolo rush a spotting location. 

A lot of 4 Tankers and a Dog Scouting Guides, if you haven't seen them yet.

https://www.youtube....-zCh2Ivc2oOFiD4

How I did Mission 13 w/ honors with the AMX 1357:

Edited by Izgoy0899, Jun 15 2019 - 11:30.

Laserpointer_1 #3 Posted Jun 15 2019 - 11:21

Private

• -Players-
  • 7046 battles
  • [11TH2] 11TH2
I'll make sure to watch every single video i can get my hands on!

Got both camo, optics and binocs on my AMX 12 t, so 455 view range isn't a problem. Utilizing it - however is one.
Big thanks for feedback! :great:

banziduck #4 Posted Jun 15 2019 - 11:23

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 21951 battles
  • [GFLC] GFLC

Your doing fine lights are probably the hardest to learn but as Izgoy0899 stated you will start seeing more return at the higher tiers.  I did not finish my LT-13 until I was in the tier 8 or higher.  Focus on improving your game and the missions will come you will see.  If you like send me a replay I will be happy to give you some thoughts from a different point of view.

Cheers

Lucudus58 #5 Posted Jun 15 2019 - 11:52

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 21778 battles
  • [CLASS] CLASS

View PostLaserpointer_1, on Jun 15 2019 - 09:34, said:

First post. Here we go.

Been reading the forums since my first days, i've already read basically everything that's here - any guide i could get my hands on.
For 6k battles, I think i'm doing pretty well in all classes.

except for light tanks. Read countless guides on proper positioning, and still i can't do much in a battle.
The thing is - there are way too many situations that i can get in - on a lot of maps - to learn everything from guides and videos.
I've learned scouting positions - be it passive or active - but if an ally LT gets there before me, i don't know what else i could do.
After scouting's done and a few tanks are left on both teams, then I have to do a breakthrough in enemy lines. Most of the time i get it wrong and go boom.
Almost always too late to leave the passive scouting bush or active scouting zone. I know what's going on at all times via my trusty minimap, but i just don't know how i can help the other flank 99% of the time.
I'm stuck on LT-13 on StuG IV campaign and i find it pretty pathetic how i can't get 700 spotting damage.
Should I be worried, or am i too inexperienced to play light tanks? LT missions are really halting my progress on the campaign, while i've done the others a while ago.
Again, first post, so it might be stupid, but any help would be massively appreciated.

Learn by playing allot and watch what the other scouts are doing.You should be one of the last remaining tanks left in the march.Your object is to stay alive and help your other tanks.It is not all about getting the most damage or as I see many doing now SUICIDE every match and almost 98% die in the first minute.You will get better by keep playing and learning from your mistakes.

Laserpointer_1 #6 Posted Jun 15 2019 - 12:40

Private

• -Players-
  • 7046 battles
  • [11TH2] 11TH2

Thanks for the replies!
by the way, I'd like to know - which lt line is the most forgiving? I'm thinking of doing the chinese one. They look really fun to play with!
Anyway, I always watch friendly scouts and cover them - most of the time learning a lot. I also watch what enemy/ally scouts do when i'm in a medium or heavy.

Watched a few videos, and I definitely feel more confident in playing light tanks now.
Offtopic, but where can I thoroughly learn maps to enhance map awareness? I think that also plays a big role.
Anyway, thanks again! :great:

Izgoy0899 #7 Posted Jun 15 2019 - 13:22

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 654 battles
  • [SHRKE] SHRKE

View PostLaserpointer_1, on Jun 15 2019 - 12:40, said:

Thanks for the replies!
by the way, I'd like to know - which lt line is the most forgiving? I'm thinking of doing the chinese one. They look really fun to play with!
Anyway, I always watch friendly scouts and cover them - most of the time learning a lot. I also watch what enemy/ally scouts do when i'm in a medium or heavy.

Watched a few videos, and I definitely feel more confident in playing light tanks now.
Offtopic, but where can I thoroughly learn maps to enhance map awareness? I think that also plays a big role.
Anyway, thanks again! :great:

It all depends.  For Armor I would say the Russians and then the Chinese, and I've bounced the odd shot from the Scorpion G off my Type 62. I've also been derped for all my hp by a KV2 as well.  So there is that. 

In the current meta though with everyone hitting the #2 key armor really doesn't matter as much since as a LT most everything is going to pen you.  With wheeled vehicles as a thing I have been using the HWK30 more for the higher alpha and HEP rounds.  One could argue that camo and mobility is better, which I think the French line is better at if I'm not mistaken.  It really to me comes to a personal preference of what you want, what you are going for, and what works best for you to start out with and everything will then expand from there.  It will take some trail and error.  Simple answer for the most forgiving in my view would be the Russian or Chinese for armor, with the Russian line I'm working down. 

Maps are harder and this is an issue I have as no one in my clan seems to go to training rooms.  So you might see if anyone in your clan will team up with you to go into training rooms, which is really the best.  If not you'll have to learn as I did which so far has been OJT, experience and trail and error.  Spotting locations though try to have a few, and some that are not that popular.  The well known ones players at times will blind fire, or in my case as a LT player normally when I was getting lit once on a map I knew exactly where the LT spotter, or in this case a player in an E25, was located.  You'll find that playing LTs long enough you will start to learn their view areas and when playing other classes find routes to avoid them seeing you. 

Edited by Izgoy0899, Jun 15 2019 - 16:09.

MiddleAgedNoob #8 Posted Jun 15 2019 - 14:12

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 18383 battles
  • [MARV] MARV

View PostLaserpointer_1, on Jun 15 2019 - 05:21, said:

I'll make sure to watch every single video i can get my hands on!

Got both camo, optics and binocs on my AMX 12 t, so 455 view range isn't a problem. Utilizing it - however is one.
Big thanks for feedback! :great:

The AMX 12t has pretty bad base view range, but with binos, you should be alright, especially if your commander has started on Situational Awareness.  It also has great camo, especially with a net.  700 assist should not be hard, if you find the right bush and are patient.  My recenrt average assistance in the 12t is 853.  Note that you also need 700 damage, either by yourself or with platoon mates, so you should try to invite others to platoon with you.

For videos, Dreadshells is the master.  https://www.youtube....qjz1VzQ/videos  If you look in his list of older videos, you will see a series of videos which give spotting locations on different maps, this one, for example, for the road on Prok:  https://www.youtube....8CaVIHM&index=6

These are dated, most of them are pre 1.0, and you can't count on the bush he uses still being there, but the general direction is still super useful.  His analysis videos are fantastic, he pauses and rambles about his thought and decision process.

I love, love, love the 12t.  (I'm currently in the top 10 on the server, if you buy WG stats as valid.)  But it really shines once you've got 100% camo and some vision skills.  I equip VStabs instead of optics, as its dispersion values need all the help they can get, especially when firing on the move, particularly since its bad gun depression means every bump throws your aim into the stratosphere.

Edit:

My load out is:  Vstabs, Vents, Binos, L Repair, L First Aid, Strong Coffee.

Skills (I used a free BIA crew that I got for some other French vehicle):

Commander: BIA, 6th, Camo, working on SA

Driver:  BIA, Camo, ORD, working on Smooth Ride

Gunner:  BIA, Camo, Snap Shot, working on Repairs

GLHF

Edited by MiddleAgedNoob, Jun 15 2019 - 15:15.

MiddleAgedNoob #9 Posted Jun 16 2019 - 20:44

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 18383 battles
  • [MARV] MARV

Here's a 2.3k assist game in the 12t on Province.  http://wotreplays.eu...dnoob-amx_12_t  You just need the right bush.

GLHF

VooDooKobra #10 Posted Jun 16 2019 - 20:46

Major

• Players
  • 10034 battles
  • [MOVE] MOVE

there is a map mod on the hub which shows multiple places to spot per map.  its put out by hawg and i have found it very useful

https://wgmods.net/1682/

Edited by VooDooKobra, Jun 16 2019 - 20:47.

Laserpointer_1 #11 Posted Jun 17 2019 - 09:07

Private

• -Players-
  • 7046 battles
  • [11TH2] 11TH2
Thanks for the province position, I really struggle on that map!

Also that mod is great, big thanks to you too!

Thanks for the helpful responses!

RetroMan55 #12 Posted Jun 17 2019 - 12:20

Captain

• Players
  • 93482 battles
  • [DWING] DWING

I set up my Type 64 up with Vents, Binocs and Coated Optics - no food - and I have 525 Meters of view range (I think 445 is supposed to be the max).  I use 3-4 skill crews, Camo paint, and Situational Awareness over Recon (as Radio Range trumps view range).  Since the introduction of Wheelies, I also tend to play back from the extreme range of my longer than normal view range. 

Don't go to "commonly known" bushes or spots as smart players often blind shoot those spots and often get lucky damage/kills.  Scout your own new places and you will do better.  Also, if you want to get that spotting damage make a point of using the "T" button to light up enemy tanks.  Not only does this tell players what you can spot, but also how far out you can spot (which will make it less likely teammates will shoot you for not "spotting for them" which is often due to the limited view range of their tanks - not yours..  Use that "T" button until they kill the tanks you are lighting.

Once you are spotted, run backwards to reposition, not forward or even laterally - unless buildings or terrain can mask your movements.  Just remember, Arty and Scouts are the two hardest classes to learn, in large part because both require teammates to take advantage of your efforts to help them.

gingerted91 #13 Posted Jun 18 2019 - 00:02

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 1464 battles
  • [MORDR] MORDR
I suggest you review this article "Scouting Where To Start".

Although dated (pre Tier 10 scouts and removal of "Scout MM" ) it gives a great overview of the particular roles scouts need to play and more importantly switch between during every match.

With the current map designs and metas, setting up as a passive scout is extremely limiting.  Except in specialized circumstances; bushwanking with camo nets and binocs are not optimum approaches in today's game.  Your scouts have to accomplish much more than that...

Edited by gingerted91, Jun 18 2019 - 00:03.

Laserpointer_1 #14 Posted Jun 19 2019 - 19:02

Private

• -Players-
  • 7046 battles
  • [11TH2] 11TH2
Thank you all for your responses!
The suggestions, advices and videos really helped me a lot!
Got LT-13, LT-14, and even LT-15 done with honors within a week (never thought i'd be able to do that).
One less potential trash light tank player on your team now, folks! :)

MiddleAgedNoob #15 Posted Jun 19 2019 - 19:10

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 18383 battles
  • [MARV] MARV

View PostLaserpointer_1, on Jun 19 2019 - 13:02, said:

Thank you all for your responses!
The suggestions, advices and videos really helped me a lot!
Got LT-13, LT-14, and even LT-15 done with honors within a week (never thought i'd be able to do that).
One less potential trash light tank player on your team now, folks! :)

Congrats!  And it looks like you did it in the AMX 12t as well.  You might want to hold on to it, you might just end up liking it, especially once your crew gets better.

GLHF

Laserpointer_1 #16 Posted Jun 20 2019 - 07:42

Private

• -Players-
  • 7046 battles
  • [11TH2] 11TH2

View PostMiddleAgedNoob, on Jun 19 2019 - 19:10, said:

Congrats!  And it looks like you did it in the AMX 12t as well.  You might want to hold on to it, you might just end up liking it, especially once your crew gets better.

GLHF

Yup, 12t did all the work.
I have a 3-skill crew in it (from the ELC), commander and driver are at 100%, but gunner's still 90% without skills, but the tank is still a keeper for me.
Gonna go up to 13 90, but pretty worried about the batchat - it looks insanely hard to drive well. 

MiddleAgedNoob #17 Posted Jun 20 2019 - 14:10

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 18383 battles
  • [MARV] MARV

View PostLaserpointer_1, on Jun 20 2019 - 01:42, said:

Yup, 12t did all the work.
I have a 3-skill crew in it (from the ELC), commander and driver are at 100%, but gunner's still 90% without skills, but the tank is still a keeper for me.
Gonna go up to 13 90, but pretty worried about the batchat - it looks insanely hard to drive well. 

If you're committed to the French light line, you might want to consider devoting at least one of your female recruits to it, to the Commander.  All the way up the line, the Commander doubles as the Radio Operator, which means you will want 6th, Camo, SA and Recon as fast as possible and BIA eventually.  If you're willing to spend gold, retrain your current Commander to Gunner and assign a female to Commander.  The sooner you do this, the better, obviously.  If you've been collecting the crew and equipment directives, you can make up for some of the deficiencies in the short term with the camo and vision directives, or the vent purge etc.  If you have the 2m for a book, it would do wonders for a new female commander.

Originally, I put an all female crew in the AMX 12t.  They're now on their 6th skill, in my AMX 13 90.  My current AMX 12t crew is a zero BIA crew that I got when I bought the EBR 75 and retrained.

I did not find the BC12t grind that bad.  I did it in 322 games, trying to direct every possible LT401 towards it.  You don't have to do all three, although most will do at least the BC25t AP and the 13 90.  I see a lot of AMX 30's out there, so some people like them.

I play French tracked lights almost exclusively now, although I want to get better at the BC 25t AP as well.

GLHF

HeroEnVec #18 Posted Jun 27 2019 - 17:31

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 41662 battles
  • [VILIN] VILIN
If you want to light tank better, feel free to drop me a line in game and we can play a few.

Roggg2 #19 Posted Jun 28 2019 - 13:45

Major

• -Players-
  • 22181 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY

Lights are hardest to learn.  I was you once upon a time, and the good news is, you'll look back on this some day and wonder why it was so hard back then.  Here's my advice:

1)  Watch Dreadshells light tank videos on youtube, or 4tankersanddog.  Both are good for scouting. 

2)  I would almost never give this advice for scout tank (or any tank) setup, but try vents, optic, binos while working on the scouting missions.  The double view range eq means you are buffed for both passive and active scouting.

3)  Crew matters.  The better your crew, the easier this will be.  6th sense and a good camo crew is essential,  Can you succeed without?  Sure.  But make no mistake...it's a big advantage.

4)  The breakthrough push late game...you need to be a little conservative if you dont know where they are.  Always crest ridgelines through bushes for camo.  Try to come at them from low-ground so you are under their guns.  The goal is to spot without being spotted.

5) IMO, the chinese lights are solid all-around tanks, but at mid-tiers I think the French and American lights are much better at sraight-up scouting.  I did most of the Stug LT missions in the AMX 12t.

Once you get the hang of it, you will be getting that mission completed every session with ease.  I would gladly platoon with you, but you should hit up HeroEnVec instead.  

Edit:  Congrats on completing...and that's what I get for responding without reading the whole thread through....

Edited by Roggg2, Jun 28 2019 - 13:46.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users