Jump to content


Help With Artillery for Stug Campaign.

artillery advice

  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Taylor3006 #1 Posted Jun 17 2019 - 16:11

    Staff sergeant

  • -Players-
  • 3679 battles
  • 359
  • Member since:
    07-10-2016
I am bogged down with several of my campaign missions so am wanting to get one piece of artillery that I can use to complete that portion of the campaign while I work on the other tank missions. Looking for noob friendly tier 5 artillery of any nation. I have no desire to play the class, only want it to do the campaign missions and from the looks of the missions, need something that stuns fairly effectively. Stunning seems to be needed for almost every task in the campaign. My plan is to use my blueprints to unlock what I need, really have zero desire to run up the tech tree. Of the available tier 5 SPGs, which one would be the easiest to use?

Absols_blade #2 Posted Jun 17 2019 - 16:16

    Captain

  • Players
  • 15589 battles
  • 1,509
  • [-STAB] -STAB
  • Member since:
    09-18-2011
I’d suggest either the M41 or the Grille personally if you only plan on tier 5, ooootherwise save up a little bit more and get the M44, as that’s one of the best artillery in the game currently tier for tier

jst2gr8 #3 Posted Jun 17 2019 - 16:16

    Captain

  • Players
  • 66365 battles
  • 1,251
  • [CRZY] CRZY
  • Member since:
    04-26-2011
Which campaigns are you doing? Most of those arty ones you need higher tiers to get the stun damage. Just take your time in the lower tiers and don't worry too much about the campaigns until you get higher tier tanks.

MiddleAgedNoob #4 Posted Jun 17 2019 - 16:20

    First lieutenant

  • -Players-
  • 18728 battles
  • 726
  • [MARV] MARV
  • Member since:
    10-29-2016

View PostTaylor3006, on Jun 17 2019 - 10:11, said:

I am bogged down with several of my campaign missions so am wanting to get one piece of artillery that I can use to complete that portion of the campaign while I work on the other tank missions. Looking for noob friendly tier 5 artillery of any nation. I have no desire to play the class, only want it to do the campaign missions and from the looks of the missions, need something that stuns fairly effectively. Stunning seems to be needed for almost every task in the campaign. My plan is to use my blueprints to unlock what I need, really have zero desire to run up the tech tree. Of the available tier 5 SPGs, which one would be the easiest to use?

 

Salty Jedi has a site dedicated to helping with missions:  https://www.saltyjed...rsonalmissions  He says that pretty much any tier IV and up arty with stun will work.  I see you own a Chaffee, you can research the tier V M41 HMC from it, and the tier VI M44 from the M41.

 

GLHF

 

 



Taylor3006 #5 Posted Jun 17 2019 - 16:32

    Staff sergeant

  • -Players-
  • 3679 battles
  • 359
  • Member since:
    07-10-2016

View PostUvBeenTrumped, on Jun 17 2019 - 09:16, said:

Which campaigns are you doing? Most of those arty ones you need higher tiers to get the stun damage. Just take your time in the lower tiers and don't worry too much about the campaigns until you get higher tier tanks.


I think it is called the Stug campaign, maybe I misremembered. It is the first campaign where you get a German TD as a final reward. Honestly I am playing low tier as #1) I pretty much suck, #2) Wanting to train crews up before getting higher tiered tanks, & #3) I really suck so don't want to screw up the higher tiers with my suckage. I figure at tier 5 there are enough noobs like me playing that no one will notice just how poorly I play... I have actually advanced pretty far with the light tank, heavy tank, and medium tank missions and only have a handful left to do of each. The "start a fire" medium tank task has me stopped dead (guessing it is RNG related) and the "do 1000 damage to heavy tanks" seems impossible with my tier 5 heavies. 

 

IIRC You need tier 5 artillery to do the entire bit, if I can do it with tier 4s that would be great too. I have read about the M44 and that is tempting but since matchmaking is what it is, that means I will be playing with tier 8s and again, don't want to screw up the game for the serious players. In case I failed to mention it, I really suck.. 


Edited by Taylor3006, Jun 17 2019 - 16:34.


Absols_blade #6 Posted Jun 17 2019 - 16:42

    Captain

  • Players
  • 15589 battles
  • 1,509
  • [-STAB] -STAB
  • Member since:
    09-18-2011

View PostTaylor3006, on Jun 17 2019 - 16:32, said:


I think it is called the Stug campaign, maybe I misremembered. It is the first campaign where you get a German TD as a final reward. Honestly I am playing low tier as #1) I pretty much suck, #2) Wanting to train crews up before getting higher tiered tanks, & #3) I really suck so don't want to screw up the higher tiers with my suckage. I figure at tier 5 there are enough noobs like me playing that no one will notice just how poorly I play... I have actually advanced pretty far with the light tank, heavy tank, and medium tank missions and only have a handful left to do of each. The "start a fire" medium tank task has me stopped dead (guessing it is RNG related) and the "do 1000 damage to heavy tanks" seems impossible with my tier 5 heavies. 

 

IIRC You need tier 5 artillery to do the entire bit, if I can do it with tier 4s that would be great too. I have read about the M44 and that is tempting but since matchmaking is what it is, that means I will be playing with tier 8s and again, don't want to screw up the game for the serious players. In case I failed to mention it, I really suck.. 


thing being, in knowing you aren’t the best player, and in trying to stay in lower tiers, you’re already doing far better than most new players. I’d say maybe the M41 then for now, and if I hear right, you’re on the Chaffee. That should be an easy jump from there. If you feel comfortable with that artillery, you can consider the M44 from there. Just make sure to mark where and when you’re firing, so allies know not to get in close



dunniteowl #7 Posted Jun 17 2019 - 16:42

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 31544 battles
  • 8,680
  • Member since:
    09-01-2014

View PostAbsols_blade, on Jun 17 2019 - 09:16, said:

I’d suggest either the M41 or the Grille personally if you only plan on tier 5, ooootherwise save up a little bit more and get the M44, as that’s one of the best artillery in the game currently tier for tier

Grille.

 

I have:

Grille

SU-122A

Bishop

M41 HMC

 

Of these, the Grille has:  Decent Stun (M41 is better), Good Alpha (SU might be better), Nice Splash (M41 bigger), Avg Reload (Bishop is best), Good Speed (best I think), Avg arc (Bishop is best), Good Range (~700m).

 

It has one of the narrowest gun arc traverses of them all, though it's workable if you pay attention.  It has a decent traverse to turn and meet an opponent, however I think it is also the least armored of the bunch.

 

Even so, in another thread recently I posted a game in the Grille where I had 56s of stun damage and he was looking to do 100s of stun in a tier VI or better.  I offered that it should be relatively easy to do above tier V.  I think it can be done in a tier V, myself and the Grille or M41 HMC both have the bore size to do it.

 

The M41 and SU-122A probably could do what you need, however both of them are really and I mean REALLY map dependent to the point where most maps that are not like Steppes, Sand River, Studzianki, Redshire or maybe Westfield do not suit them very well at all.  They both have pretty flat arcs, which means to get shell distance, they fire with higher velocity instead of higher angle.  This means rubble piles and walls can block a shot if you get behind them.  A low ridge will protect you if you are close enough to it without being the same height or greater.

 

These two units will do well in HVY centric games with open areas such as Malinovka, Prokharovka and the others mentioned.

 

The Grille, however, can do well on almost all maps to some degree if you can get positioned.  Notable maps that are NOT Grille friendly are:  Ensk, Widepark, Himmelsdorf, Empire's Border, Paris and Minsk.  Of these, none are so 'awful' that you can't find a spot or two from which to do at least okay if not well in the Grille.  The other two would choke pretty much completely on all these maps and more.

 

 

If you somehow gain an greater appreciation for SPGs after all this, feel free to ask for more advice.

 

 

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO


Edited by dunniteowl, Jun 17 2019 - 16:46.


Taylor3006 #8 Posted Jun 17 2019 - 16:56

    Staff sergeant

  • -Players-
  • 3679 battles
  • 359
  • Member since:
    07-10-2016

View PostAbsols_blade, on Jun 17 2019 - 09:42, said:


thing being, in knowing you aren’t the best player, and in trying to stay in lower tiers, you’re already doing far better than most new players. I’d say maybe the M41 then for now, and if I hear right, you’re on the Chaffee. That should be an easy jump from there. If you feel comfortable with that artillery, you can consider the M44 from there. Just make sure to mark where and when you’re firing, so allies know not to get in close


I hadn't realized it but I have the M41 unlocked since my Chaffee is Elite. That looks like the easiest thing to do and with what Dunniteowl's advice, it may be just the thing I need for the job. The other advantage is I won't have to burn all my Universal Blueprints to unlock a SPG. 

 

Thanks for all the advice everyone and if you see me on the battlefield, understand am only playing artillery to do my missions so please don't call me names! 

 

EDIT: Middleagednoob is correct, you only need a tier 4 vehicle to do the campaign. 


Edited by Taylor3006, Jun 17 2019 - 17:59.


dunniteowl #9 Posted Jun 17 2019 - 17:02

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 31544 battles
  • 8,680
  • Member since:
    09-01-2014

I only ask you do what you should be doing in any unit:  Your Best.

 

 

OvO



Ken_McGuire #10 Posted Jun 17 2019 - 17:18

    Captain

  • Players
  • 31981 battles
  • 1,761
  • [CLASS] CLASS
  • Member since:
    12-21-2012

I certainly understand not wanting to get stuck playing too much arty. I may offer the following suggestions....

 

American Arty was almost easy mode. Since I personally love the Chaffee, crossing over to the arty line from it was a breeze. That said, the tier 5 arty was a bit of a let down. Yeah, it can do the job, but it was quite frustrating to use. The M44, however is much more mobile, has a great fire arc, and quite frankly is OP in the right hands. You will want to get it.

 

Soviet arty is easy to cross over from the popular KV-2, giving you a tier 7 arty. I went up the traditional Soviet arty line instead though. In general my experience with Soviet arty is that they often have big guns, but the guns often have narrow firing arcs (except the SU-26 of course) and long aim times. They can be quite good if you know how the map plays and so are pre-aimed at likely spots. But until you know this, they are frustrating. That all said, the ability to cross over at tier 7 is appealing.

 

French arty lets you cross over at tier 6. And French arty are generally highly mobile and have decent accuracy for arty. The lower shell arcs took some adjustment for me, and as you go up in tier, the guns stay rather small. You can do missions in it, but I wouldn't recommend it.

 

British don't get stuns until tier 7 (I think). As good as the tier 5 and 6 are in the right hands, they are useless for missions that require stuns. That said, the tier 10 is an infamous beast because of the shell arc.

 

The Grille is my favorite tier 5 arty. Don't have a crew in it, but have relatively fond memories of it. The Hummel was OK, and the GW Panther is quite good.

 

Arty suffers(?) from a lot of RNG. You will have shots that go wide. Sometimes those shots will splash and hurt something else and you will be extra lucky. But in general, you want to limit as much RNG as you can when playing it - and so you want a well trained gunner. 100% gunners do ok. BIA ones do better. I don't run food for casual randoms because of the cost, but it helps a lot. 50% and even 75% crews really suck in arty.



Vava_das_SPGs #11 Posted Jun 17 2019 - 18:26

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 26595 battles
  • 2,216
  • Member since:
    06-02-2015

View PostTaylor3006, on Jun 17 2019 - 12:11, said:

I am bogged down with several of my campaign missions so am wanting to get one piece of artillery that I can use to complete that portion of the campaign while I work on the other tank missions. Looking for noob friendly tier 5 artillery of any nation. I have no desire to play the class, only want it to do the campaign missions and from the looks of the missions, need something that stuns fairly effectively. Stunning seems to be needed for almost every task in the campaign. My plan is to use my blueprints to unlock what I need, really have zero desire to run up the tech tree. Of the available tier 5 SPGs, which one would be the easiest to use?

 

View Postdunniteowl, on Jun 17 2019 - 12:42, said:

Grille.

 

I have:

Grille

SU-122A

Bishop

M41 HMC

 

Of these, the Grille has:  Decent Stun (M41 is better), Good Alpha (SU might be better), Nice Splash (M41 bigger), Avg Reload (Bishop is best), Good Speed (best I think), Avg arc (Bishop is best), Good Range (~700m).

 

It has one of the narrowest gun arc traverses of them all, though it's workable if you pay attention.  It has a decent traverse to turn and meet an opponent, however I think it is also the least armored of the bunch.

 

Even so, in another thread recently I posted a game in the Grille where I had 56s of stun damage and he was looking to do 100s of stun in a tier VI or better.  I offered that it should be relatively easy to do above tier V.  I think it can be done in a tier V, myself and the Grille or M41 HMC both have the bore size to do it.

 

The M41 and SU-122A probably could do what you need, however both of them are really and I mean REALLY map dependent to the point where most maps that are not like Steppes, Sand River, Studzianki, Redshire or maybe Westfield do not suit them very well at all.  They both have pretty flat arcs, which means to get shell distance, they fire with higher velocity instead of higher angle.  This means rubble piles and walls can block a shot if you get behind them.  A low ridge will protect you if you are close enough to it without being the same height or greater.

 

These two units will do well in HVY centric games with open areas such as Malinovka, Prokharovka and the others mentioned.

 

The Grille, however, can do well on almost all maps to some degree if you can get positioned.  Notable maps that are NOT Grille friendly are:  Ensk, Widepark, Himmelsdorf, Empire's Border, Paris and Minsk.  Of these, none are so 'awful' that you can't find a spot or two from which to do at least okay if not well in the Grille.  The other two would choke pretty much completely on all these maps and more.

 

 

If you somehow gain an greater appreciation for SPGs after all this, feel free to ask for more advice.

 

 

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO


As dunniteowl already said, the best tier 5 arty to suggest to you is the Grille, but...
You'll struggle a lot to complete some missions using only the Grille.
That's why I would recomend you to go to the tier 6 american M44.
With that, you'll be able to complete all the StuG IV missions.

As always, good luck and have fun.



ethics_gradient #12 Posted Jun 17 2019 - 21:20

    Major

  • Players
  • 42314 battles
  • 2,395
  • [DHO-X] DHO-X
  • Member since:
    04-22-2011
lol - since I refuse to play arty, I just get my tanks by doing all of the other missions with honors.

Taylor3006 #13 Posted Jun 17 2019 - 21:22

    Staff sergeant

  • -Players-
  • 3679 battles
  • 359
  • Member since:
    07-10-2016
I went ahead and got the M41 and put a 100% crew in her. I also free xp'd all the upgrades save the last radio (9k) and will do that a bit later on before I use the vehicle. My plan is to now save for the radio upgrade and a crew book or two in order to have a decently skilled crew for it. Thanks everyone for their ideas! 





Also tagged with artillery, advice

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users