What happens to crews in rental tanks

rental crew training experience

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

1ST_AD_Abrams #1 Posted Jun 18 2019 - 10:18

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 1661 battles

What happens to a crew in a rental tank?  I have been told they die when the rental is up, others tell me you can move them to barracks.  The crew is in a T-34-80M Tier VI (elite I think but crew is not elite).  If I can transfer to barracks which would be most important to move there.  They are still on their first skill/expertise/ability at about 90%.  I still don't understand the transfer process.  I tried to move around my French crew from the Lor 40T but they would not go into any other tank at all, I thought you can transfer country to country tanks (French - French).  I also heard from others that you can never move a crew to any other tank at all.  

So what should I do.  Not to mention what about the xp on the tank, anything I should do with it before rental expires in 2 hours.  Of course servers just went offline, so maybe won't get that chance to find out.  Hate to have wasted the last 4 days on the T34-80M (actually not bad of a tank but then T-34 was considered one of the superior tanks of WWII at over 50K built. 

Ironically and off topic, each history show, each WWII historical book, each economic report, they never have the same number of M4's and T34's built.  Some show it was more T-34, some M4's, others they built just 50k each (obviously the chance of that is so far rare and extreme, I could win the lottery with its odds).  Obviously each country will be biased and of course you have the bias of the authors and maybe there really is no way to truly count to the nearest 100 units produced.

Taylor3006 #2 Posted Jun 18 2019 - 10:31

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 2230 battles

The tank seems to stay in your garage until you remove it. The crews are easily moved to other vehicles (requires retraining), sent to barracks, or dismissed. I have quite a few tech tree vehicles populated by former rental tank crews and they are still around so they do not die as far as I can tell. I just upgraded my barracks so I could put all my rental crews there. I had just been keeping the rentals long after the time expired, to act as a temporary barracks of sorts.

I think once the server comes back online, you will have your rental tanks still in the garage and still manned by your crews. You just can not play the vehicles any more unless you buy it. This has been my experience so far.

MagillaGuerilla #3 Posted Jun 18 2019 - 11:11

Major

• -Players-
  • 25769 battles
Usually they remove the expired rentals at the next update and send the crews to the barracks.

venom286 #4 Posted Jun 18 2019 - 11:39

Captain

• Players
  • 41878 battles
  • [FARTY] FARTY
The crew stays on the tank your crew is safe if you sell the tank just make sure you have room in the garage or put them on another tank 

rogombor #5 Posted Jun 18 2019 - 12:15

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 21952 battles
  • [NBL] NBL

View PostTaylor3006, on Jun 18 2019 - 06:31, said:

The tank seems to stay in your garage until you remove it. The crews are easily moved to other vehicles (requires retraining), sent to barracks, or dismissed. I have quite a few tech tree vehicles populated by former rental tank crews and they are still around so they do not die as far as I can tell. I just upgraded my barracks so I could put all my rental crews there. I had just been keeping the rentals long after the time expired, to act as a temporary barracks of sorts.

I think once the server comes back online, you will have your rental tanks still in the garage and still manned by your crews. You just can not play the vehicles any more unless you buy it. This has been my experience so far.

View Postvenom286, on Jun 18 2019 - 07:39, said:

The crew stays on the tank your crew is safe if you sell the tank just make sure you have room in the garage or put them on another tank 

Correct. Also the rentals don't take up garage space, it's pointless to remove them because they make for great free barrack bunks. The real problem with rentals is camo. Under no circumstances let the rental period expire with camo applied or the only way to take it out will be removing the rental.

View PostMagillaGuerilla, on Jun 18 2019 - 07:11, said:

Usually they remove the expired rentals at the next update and send the crews to the barracks.

I don't know what's worse, your post or that people gave it rep points. Straight up misinformation.

Ken_McGuire #6 Posted Jun 18 2019 - 12:51

Captain

• Players
  • 30227 battles

Welcome to World of Tanks, and welcome to the forums. It sounds like you are just as confused as I was about crews when I started. Crew management can turn into a quite involved strategy game itself, and can be quite important actually.

But before I talk too much about crews, I want to talk a bit about tanks. There are a few different types of tanks. First of all, there are the tech tree tanks. These tanks require a crew trained FOR THAT TANK in order to perform at their best. You start off the game with various slow funny looking vehicles that have guns that have a hard time hitting their targets. There are also premium and reward tanks. These tanks only require their crew to be trained for that tank TYPE in order to perform at their best. There are free rentals of these tanks - and sometimes you can earn them in various missions. And, of course, you can buy them. Often they come with their own crew...

The thing is that you get the most out of these tanks by having them share crew with another tank. In other words, you have a crew trained for a "normal" tech tree tank, and then you can run that crew in both the normal tank and the premium. And when you go up the tech tree you would retrain the crew for the next tank - at least if you are not planning on keeping the tank. When you retrain a crew, there are three choices - free, sliver, and gold. When you are starting and in a huge credit crunch, you may have to do some free retraining, unfortunately. But the other two options are much better for your crew.

Looking at your service record I see you have almost exclusively played various premium tanks, and you play them, well, like you are a beginner in the game. Being a beginner is not really a problem. We all were beginners. But the game is designed with tank tiers so you can learn a bit as you go. Jumping into a tier 8 premium as a beginner is kinda like jumping into the deep end of the pool without knowing how to swim - which can be both frustrating to both you and your team. Please park these tanks for a while and come back to them later when you know more about the game.

In the truly low tiers (like 1-4) you can learn to control your tank and the game interface. You probably know much of this already, but do play through some of these tiers to make this needed foundation a very SOLID foundation. In particular, now is the time to realize how important that minimap is on the bottom right. Most recommend that you make it a bit bigger than the game defaults so it is a bit more obvious and so you can see the battle flow much easier.

But it probably isn't a good idea to spend too much time down in those really low tiers. Most advice given here for years is that you can spend some quality time learning the game and having fun at around tier 5 and 6, learning various game mechanics and training up your crew. There are lots of good tanks here. If you don't have any strong desire to go for a different tank, I would recommend getting either (or both) the T-34 and KV-1 at tier 5. Both are rather new player friendly. And both are good tanks in game - and lead to many other good tanks in the game.

As has been stated above, your crew should be safe. I know I have many tanks that are crewed by crews from various rental tanks. In fact, for a while there were so many rental tanks (and crews) thrown at us that it filled up our barracks space, annoying many users. Speaking of which, go to your barracks. If you have any 50% crews, get rid of them. They are near useless and take up your limited space available...

But again, welcome to the game and the forums. Do spend times looking at the various guides here - and feel free to ask questions.

heavymetal1967 #7 Posted Jun 18 2019 - 13:35

Major

• Players
  • 70808 battles
  • [HSOLO] HSOLO

OP per some of the others the rentals normally stay in the garage past the rental period unless you use the command to remove them.  This has been "routine" for some time now.

Someone posted this is the case with the Chrysler K rental as they played their 20 games and the rental is still there as well.

Re: WG removing them on patches.  Now it seems this only applies on tanks that we don't get a remove option for once the rental period expires whether it be X games played or X amount of time.  

A couple things to consider folks re: expired or expiring rentals.

Per the earlier poster remove camo before the rental expiration or it'll be stuck on that tank.  A few folks have posted they've got support to remove it.  The other option is to remove the tank as the camo should (key word) be removed and put into storage then.

Also if you remove a tank or if WG does for that matter normally the crew is sent to the barracks.  Another example would be if you buy a premium that you already have (i.e. any of the BIA crewed tanks for the crew) those crew normally get put into the barracks.

The issue here is barracks space.  If you are out of beds then those crew will be placed into temporary bunks.  Once you remove a crew from a temporary bunk then that bunk disappears.  So if you're short or out of barracks space then be real careful about removing rental tanks that have crew in them.  Not sure if they let you sell a tank and put the crew into the barracks if you don't have the beds, but that may be another consideration.

You can get jammed up if not and the only way around it is to buy more beds, get more tanks to use as crew storage or dismiss some crew.  Otherwise you may find your crews locked out of being moved around.  There's the occasional thread or post from members when this happens.

One other tip re: these free crews whether it be a rental crew or a gold crew for a premium tank that you don't need as you have tech tree crews to grind in it/them.  Don't dismiss these crews. 

Crews at 100 percent can be retrained to a tank of the same class for silver to a base of 90 instead of 75.  Better yet if you grind them a bit and do not assign skills to them any xp on that first skill that isn't assigned gets applied towards filling that gap to 100 base.

A 100 percent base crewman with the first skill UNASSIGNED at 65 percent will same class silver retrain to 100 percent.  With crew boosters and by taking advantage of other crew xp bonuses it doesn't take long to get them to 65 first skill unassigned.  Especially if you have a premium(s) to grind them.  Better yet if you double or triple up with a prem, boosters and other crew training/xp bonuses.

YANKEE137 #8 Posted Jun 18 2019 - 13:53

Major

• -Players-
  • 13563 battles
  • [6-ACR] 6-ACR
Rental crews will pile up until your barracks is full of 100% crews that you don't want to delete. So you buy more slots.  Funny how that works.

roestreyev #9 Posted Jun 18 2019 - 13:54

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 42312 battles
  • [SKORP] SKORP
Keep rental tanks, don't "remove" them. Why? Free barrack space!

jayhawk226 #10 Posted Jun 18 2019 - 17:06

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 920 battles
  • [1SOB] 1SOB
Does equipment fall under the same category as camo, remove it before the end of the rental period?

dunniteowl #11 Posted Jun 18 2019 - 17:51

Major

• -Players-
  • 29743 battles

OP, the questions you asked and the THINGS that you included in them makes me want to show you this:

Crew -- Global Wiki

There was a lot of conflict in your OP, so I supposed the best possible thing to do would be to point you in the right direction with no middleman interpretation.

Short version:  You can transfer Crew to another tank of the Same Nation.  They can Crew ANY class in that nation.  HOWEVER:

Each Tank Class is a specific Qualification "zone."  If you change tanks you have to retrain your crew member to that tank (Except Premium Tanks).

When you switch tanks from Same Class to Same Class, the Crew can be trained to the new tank for a 10% penalty in experience (for credits) or No Penalty (for Gold) when you pick either Regimental or Tank Academy respectively.

When you switch tanks from One Class to Another Class, the Crew can be trained to the new tank for a 20% penalty in experience (for credits) or No Penalty (for Gold) when you pick either Regimental or Tank Academy respectively.

MOVING CREW:

To move a crew member from one tank to another, you first have to make sure that you have an empty space in the barracks for that crew.  If you are tight on barracks space, you can do a few things.  We'll get to that later.

You move the Crew to the Barracks.  Select the tank you wish to place that Crew into and left click on the Crew Position of that Crew member.  They should show up on a list of crew that can go in that position available in your barracks (if you moved them already).  If you have enough room in your barracks, there is a button above your crew that will send the entire crew to the barracks.  You have to have enough empty barracks space to do this.

Once again:  Move a Crew member or whole crew to the Barracks.  Select new Tank to place Crew.  Click each position and fill slot with Crew.  It's all simple click on the spots activity.

When Crew is placed that is NOT trained, you will also have an option to Train the Crew Member (I don't think this shows up on Premiums, but it's been a while, so it might) to that tank via Regimental (the Silver/ 20K Credits Per Crew Member) or Tank Academy (the 200 Gold Per Crew Member) Level of training.  Whatever floats your boat, though I tend to stick with Regimental, I like keeping the Gold for more important things.  I can use a few Personal Reserves to make up that shortfall with no real issue.

I cannot recall at the moment if I have addressed all your concerns directly, however, I am pretty sure that what you have gotten so far, plus this (read that link) response that you should have all you could ever need to make an informed choice when it comes to what and how to move crew and what is involved in their training and placement.

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO

Edited by dunniteowl, Jun 18 2019 - 17:53.

Also tagged with rental, crew, training, experience

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users