Jump to content


Yet another 'newbi' guide


  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Numerius_Titurius_Sophus #1 Posted Jun 18 2019 - 18:51

    Captain

  • -Players-
  • 14333 battles
  • 1,595
  • [GSH] GSH
  • Member since:
    05-07-2015

I have recently started trying to help 2 new people in game and some of this, I think, is good to resay.  This is not technical advice on how to win/handle games...just in general advice.  I am not the best tanker by far but I think the below is valid:

 

New players...

 

- WoT is not a race.  I know it looks like other games where 'tiers' resemble 'levels' and the goal is to rise as fast as possible.  However, WoT is not those games.  The experience is in the journey and the 'race' is nearly meaningless.  Do NOT be in any hurry to advance tiers.

 

{-[edit]   Some people say one should get up to tier 4-5 and then stop moving up fast.  I disagree...but they may be right.  Also, be aware the game changes very much as one goes up the tiers.  Tier 2 and tier 6 are almost completely different games.  Tier 8 and tier 5 are also very different.  The disagreement comes from people not thinking experience is valuable at lower levels.  I disagree....the game changes but the experience at lower levels is valuable. }

 

- I would even go so far as to say one should not even think of going up a tier until you have attained the 'Ace Tanker' award with that tank at least twice.  Ace might be a little much so if you are having extreme issues, replace with Mastery Level 1.  I might have to change my mind on this as the 2 I am helping are in the EU server which has a MUCH higher population.  The NA server has low population so you might have problems with tier 1-3 getting into games.  I still stand by my advice but if you can't get real matches (15 v 15) then that is a real problem.  Keep the spirit of my advice though if this is the case and you are forced higher,

 

- Crews are very important.  When you go up a tier you have to retrain crews.  Staying in your current tier means your crew is advancing in skill.  I would say one shouldn't go beyond tier [4] until your crew has at least 1 skill and is working on the second.  Heck, maybe even 2 skills working on the third.  No need to be in a hurry.

 

- You will be fighting people at low tiers with much experience and better crew skills.  Do not be overly discouraged.  Yea, it sucks and they are pos but you CAN win against them and humiliate them.  It is good practice to fight them so long as you keep your morale.

 

- (This is one I really messed up on) - pick ONE nationality and stick with it.  Going more than one means your crews will suffer.

 

- Always try to get better.  Everytime you die, EVERYTIME, sit back and think..."Why did I just die?"  "What could I have done to not die or die better?".  Watch your replays (there is a folder in the game directory where you can access them).  When you do die, do not just rush off to the next game.  Hit the right mouse button and watch other tankers.  What are they doing well, what are they doing wrong?  Watch Youtube videos.  I would say one should spend twice as much time watching and thinking as one does actively fighting.

 

- Do not get stuck in a rut on maps.  Try new things.  Yes, you may do stupid things but you are learning.  Who knows, you may find a new area/tactic that works.

 

- BE BOLD TANKER!  You will get killed over and over again to unseen enemies or doing stupid things.  However, if you watch and think, you will learn.  Do not allow yourself to get turned into a nervous, cringy Nellie.

 

- however, NOT TOO BOLD.  Learning when to be bold and when not to is a difficult and long skill to learn.  For example, learning not to pull around cover to hit an enemy only to be hit by 4 enemy TDs sitting back SHOULD be a skill you learn quickly.  THAT is too bold.  Be bold but smart bold.  Yes, this is tough to learn but it is essential.  You know what?  You only learn this BY BEING BOLD (and, of course, thinking and observing your performance afterword).  Shrinking, nervous Nellies never get much better.

 

- (This will provoke some anger) - Download XVM.  Not for advantage.  Not for yelling at people.  You need to learn and you learn watching good players.  XVM color codes people so when you die and are watching the game, you can 'jump into' a skilled person's tank and watch what they do in real time in the same battle you were just on.

 

- Do not pursue the shiny, OP tank of the month.  Not even considering the fact that doing so may put you into a situation where you are hit with the nerf bat...IT WILL HURT YOU, NOT HELP YOU!  You need to play normal tanks, not OP ones.  OP tanks slow down or even reverse your learning. 

 

- For me, 'skill' has never progressed linearly - meaning slowly getting better.  It seems that I plateau for a long time...then all of a sudden 'jump' to a new level.  YMMV.  Don't be discouraged if you have plateaued for awhile.  Keep trying to get better. 

 


Edited by Numerius_Titurius_Sophus, Jun 19 2019 - 13:37.


PotatoLegend99 #2 Posted Jun 18 2019 - 19:01

    First lieutenant

  • -Players-
  • 35388 battles
  • 713
  • [NEWBI] NEWBI
  • Member since:
    05-11-2014

You called for me? =P

 

Good guide overall! There is only one point I strongly take issue with. 1) Tiers 1-3 play very differently from the rest of the game and should be gotten out of as soon as possible. OFC there are some that enjoy that mindless run and gun gold spam play. Also, the amount of experience and credits earned at those tiers is significantly disproportionate to what you can earn at tier 4-6, particularly 5-6, and at tier 4 access to the Stug IV missions opens up which I don't recommend new players pursue, but there's nothing wrong with accidentally completing a mission and pocketing the rewards. I certainly wouldn't go beyond tier 5 without working on or having completed at least one crew skill though.


Edited by PotatoLegend99, Jun 18 2019 - 19:20.


Ken_McGuire #3 Posted Jun 18 2019 - 19:35

    Captain

  • Players
  • 30227 battles
  • 1,668
  • Member since:
    12-21-2012
In addition, it takes 210k XP to get that first skill. With the XP rewards at tiers 1-3, that is a LOT of games - time that can almost certainly be spent better at learning this game and getting useful equipment from various easy missions that usually require at least mid tier tanks.

Edited by Ken_McGuire, Jun 18 2019 - 19:36.


Numerius_Titurius_Sophus #4 Posted Jun 18 2019 - 19:50

    Captain

  • -Players-
  • 14333 battles
  • 1,595
  • [GSH] GSH
  • Member since:
    05-07-2015

View PostKen_McGuire, on Jun 18 2019 - 19:35, said:

In addition, it takes 210k XP to get that first skill. With the XP rewards at tiers 1-3, that is a LOT of games - time that can almost certainly be spent better at learning this game and getting useful equipment from various easy missions that usually require at least mid tier tanks.

 

Agreed.  Maybe tier 4?

 



jayhawk226 #5 Posted Jun 18 2019 - 22:44

    Corporal

  • -Players-
  • 920 battles
  • 14
  • [1SOB] 1SOB
  • Member since:
    02-27-2018
Good advice, for a noob like me. I was told to play 4,5 and 6 for a long time.

Ken_McGuire #6 Posted Jun 19 2019 - 02:19

    Captain

  • Players
  • 30227 battles
  • 1,668
  • Member since:
    12-21-2012

View PostNumerius_Titurius_Sophus, on Jun 18 2019 - 13:50, said:

Agreed.  Maybe tier 4?

 

I wouldn't want to make that much of a rule. Especially considering how "bad" (or at least not new player friendly) many tier 4 tanks are - eg. Lee, M5 Stuart, AMX 40. Heck, the T-28, while a very good tank in the right hands plays totally differently from the Soviet Heavies that follow. I would just say to spend a fair amount of time at mid-tiers before moving up to 8 and above.



ChaseR392 #7 Posted Jun 19 2019 - 05:34

    First lieutenant

  • -Players-
  • 6659 battles
  • 531
  • Member since:
    04-20-2018

View PostNumerius_Titurius_Sophus, on Jun 18 2019 - 18:51, said:

- I would even go so far as to say one should not even think of going up a tier until you have attained the 'Ace Tanker' award with that tank at least twice.   Seriously?!? This almost guarantees that a new player will burn out and quit....

 

- Crews are very important.  When you go up a tier you have to retrain crews.  Staying in your current tier means your crew is advancing in skill.  I would say one shouldn't go beyond tier [4] until your crew has at least 1 skill and is working on the second.  Heck, maybe even 2 skills working on the third.  No need to be in a hurry.  The best thing a new player can do is save their low tier tanks they enjoy and their trained crews... selling tanks and retraining crews is a trap for most new players. Spend the credits and start fresh with a new 80% crew.... its probably OK until Tiers 4 or 5.

 

- You will be fighting people at low tiers with much experience and better crew skills.  Do not be overly discouraged.  Yea, it sucks and they are pos but you CAN win against them and humiliate them.  It is good practice to fight them so long as you keep your morale. Cheap low tier Premiums.... a new player can get a solid tank like a T-127 with a 100% crew for $10, it is competitive at its Tier with equipment and it will help them earn credits.

 

- (This is one I really messed up on) - pick ONE nationality and stick with it.  Going more than one means your crews will suffer. This one also pretty much guarantees that a new player will burn out and quit..... I chose poorly at first (Germany) and suffered for quite a while until I started trying other lines....

 

- Do not pursue the shiny, OP tank of the month.  Not even considering the fact that doing so may put you into a situation where you are hit with the nerf bat...IT WILL HURT YOU, NOT HELP YOU!  You need to play normal tanks, not OP ones.  OP tanks slow down or even reverse your learning.  WG is never going to nerf another premium after the SP debacle, while I agree a new player with 200 battles shouldn't be dropping $50 on a Tier 8 tank.... snagging a cheap Tier 3 or 4 premium is a win-win for a new player IMO....

 

 

OP,

 

        You posted some good info and you deserve props for actually taking the time to do it. I do respectfully disagree on a few of the points though (in bold above).

 

"Acing" tanks... its a pretty tall order to expect a new player to best 99% of the game population on even a low tier tank... not to mention even the best lines have a stinker or two thrown in... getting mastery level 1 or 2 is more reasonable.... 

 

I think the worst trap a new player falls into is the mindset that moving up the tiers means ditching your low tier tanks... this is huge mistake, especially if you do well in a tank. Too many new players come to the forum frustrated that they emptied their garages to scrape up a enough credits to move up a tier and suddenly being clobbered again. I think everybody should have a core group of fully researched and equipped low tier tanks with 100% crews to fall back on...

 

I might get flak for this... but I think the best thing a new player can do after getting a couple hundred battles under their belt is invest in a couple of cheap low tier premiums... less than $20 (not much these days really) can get you a couple of solid low tier tanks that can help the player earn more credits and ease the pain of grinding new tanks and lines. As someone who was "new" not that long ago the misery of the grind is still fresh on my mind... I play my premiums for credits, free Xp to ease the worst of the pain, and as a nice break from stock tanks with no speed, no VR and stock potato guns....

 

I think focusing on one tank line in one nation is a big mistake.... regardless of if it is a detriment to crew training. I'd say your average gaming "tank" person is going to choose Germany without doing any research first (I did) while thinking.... "Panthers and Tigers were monsters... I need to work towards them..." 

 

Hope I didn't seem too critical, that is not my intention, just offering some differing opinions based on my own experiences as a "noob".

 

In addition, below are a few my personal thoughts for new players...

 

Every new player should familiarize themselves with the Tanks Wiki page.... it is a great source of information regarding the general strengths and weaknesses of nearly every tank in the game.

 

Consumables.... small repair kit, small med kit, fire extinguisher (preferably an auto) run them, no exceptions. If you can't afford to run them you are at too high a tier. I'm an unexceptional player but even I can afford to run them and turn a profit on a tech tree tank. Every time a drop down to have fun in lower tiers I am shocked by the number of teammates who just flounder out in the open with their tracks shot off or engine knocked out.... today it was obvious nearly 50% of my teammates weren't running kits....

 

Same goes for premium ammo... no need to spam it, but nearly every tank should equip at least a handful "just in case", even if you don't have to use them. Their are no bonuses for being run down by a tank you couldn't pen....

 



Numerius_Titurius_Sophus #8 Posted Jun 19 2019 - 13:20

    Captain

  • -Players-
  • 14333 battles
  • 1,595
  • [GSH] GSH
  • Member since:
    05-07-2015

View PostChaseR392, on Jun 19 2019 - 05:34, said:

 

OP,

 

        You posted some good info and you deserve props for actually taking the time to do it. I do respectfully disagree on a few of the points though (in bold above).

 

"Acing" tanks... its a pretty tall order to expect a new player to best 99% of the game population on even a low tier tank... not to mention even the best lines have a stinker or two thrown in... getting mastery level 1 or 2 is more reasonable.... 

 

I think the worst trap a new player falls into is the mindset that moving up the tiers means ditching your low tier tanks... this is huge mistake, especially if you do well in a tank. Too many new players come to the forum frustrated that they emptied their garages to scrape up a enough credits to move up a tier and suddenly being clobbered again. I think everybody should have a core group of fully researched and equipped low tier tanks with 100% crews to fall back on...

 

I might get flak for this... but I think the best thing a new player can do after getting a couple hundred battles under their belt is invest in a couple of cheap low tier premiums... less than $20 (not much these days really) can get you a couple of solid low tier tanks that can help the player earn more credits and ease the pain of grinding new tanks and lines. As someone who was "new" not that long ago the misery of the grind is still fresh on my mind... I play my premiums for credits, free Xp to ease the worst of the pain, and as a nice break from stock tanks with no speed, no VR and stock potato guns....

 

I think focusing on one tank line in one nation is a big mistake.... regardless of if it is a detriment to crew training. I'd say your average gaming "tank" person is going to choose Germany without doing any research first (I did) while thinking.... "Panthers and Tigers were monsters... I need to work towards them..." 

 

Hope I didn't seem too critical, that is not my intention, just offering some differing opinions based on my own experiences as a "noob".

 

In addition, below are a few my personal thoughts for new players...

 

Every new player should familiarize themselves with the Tanks Wiki page.... it is a great source of information regarding the general strengths and weaknesses of nearly every tank in the game.

 

Consumables.... small repair kit, small med kit, fire extinguisher (preferably an auto) run them, no exceptions. If you can't afford to run them you are at too high a tier. I'm an unexceptional player but even I can afford to run them and turn a profit on a tech tree tank. Every time a drop down to have fun in lower tiers I am shocked by the number of teammates who just flounder out in the open with their tracks shot off or engine knocked out.... today it was obvious nearly 50% of my teammates weren't running kits....

 

Same goes for premium ammo... no need to spam it, but nearly every tank should equip at least a handful "just in case", even if you don't have to use them. Their are no bonuses for being run down by a tank you couldn't pen....

 

 

nope, not taken badly. 

 

The Ace tanker line was meant to allow them to resist the urge to move up and resisting the urge to 'tank hop'.  The SHOULDN'T get frustrated as they are learning to play a few tanks.  Working on crews is also important and you do not want to be rushing up.  While what I wrote might be a bit extreme, I still think it is ok.  I could see replacing Ace with Mastery level 1 though.

 

Agreed with the Premium tanks, though I wanted to keep it FtP-ish.

 

Sticking with one nationality - it is ok to switch if you then concentrate on that nationality.  



el_01 #9 Posted Jun 20 2019 - 19:39

    Corporal

  • -Players-
  • 2772 battles
  • 95
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT
  • Member since:
    10-27-2018
Rambly Post

 






1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users