• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

QuicksilverJPR #41 Posted Jun 21 2019 - 17:28

Major

• Players
  • 27894 battles
  • [RPG] RPG

View Postgwkucera, on Jun 20 2019 - 23:18, said:

I think you need to understand confirmation bias means before you use it in a sentence, but let's not digress.
I am well aware of the fact their insane OPness is rarely exploited effectively.  That is not my point.  My point is that when it is exploited, i.e, a good player is driving it, that good player is way better than he would be in any other tank of the same tier.  In other words, the tank is about 3/4 of a tier OP.   Furthermore, as others have pointed out, these things totally change the game balancing so that slower tanks (slow traverse, turrret traverse and movement, are all relatively worse than they were before these things appeared.  

Confirmation bias = Confirmation bias occurs from the direct influence of desire on beliefs. When people would like a certain idea or concept to be true, they end up believing it to be true. They are motivated by wishful thinking. This error leads the individual to stop gathering information when the evidence gathered so far confirms the views or prejudices one would like to be true.

I bet my grasp on confirmation bias is greater than your own...

gwkucera #42 Posted Jun 25 2019 - 07:16

Corporal

• Players
  • 35800 battles
  • [TIP] TIP

View Post_Brew_, on Jun 20 2019 - 12:36, said:

Any tank in the hands of a good player will be good.

Any tank in the hands of a bad player will be bad.

I have had matches where I did great in my EBR and matches where I've been two shot without getting a shot off.  There are more variables involved than just the vehicle.

Why do people state the obvious like it means something?  The first two lines are known by everyone who has played over 1,000 games here.  All tanks have a bell curve of performance capability based on map, player driving, latency, etc.  I would assume those educated and intelligent among us understand that.  Holding all of those as constant, some tanks perform better than others, and my claim is that the EBR is an outlier, especially in the hands of a good player, where the entire game changes and slow tanks are put in an additionally inferior position re arty and sighting early in the game before they can even get to cover on some maps.
However, when a tank is OP, more people can get even better results than would otherwise be the case.  

gwkucera #43 Posted Jun 25 2019 - 07:29

Corporal

• Players
  • 35800 battles
  • [TIP] TIP

View PostQuicksilverJPR, on Jun 21 2019 - 17:28, said:

Confirmation bias = Confirmation bias occurs from the direct influence of desire on beliefs. When people would like a certain idea or concept to be true, they end up believing it to be true. They are motivated by wishful thinking. This error leads the individual to stop gathering information when the evidence gathered so far confirms the views or prejudices one would like to be true.

I bet my grasp on confirmation bias is greater than your own...

You can imagine all you want, but you didn't use the term correctly above and it is a non sequitur. 
Here is what your initial reply was:
"I'm telling you right now, there are far more REALLY BAD wheeled light tank players than there are good ones.  You only notice the good ones because they're good.  You utterly fail to notice the other 2/3rds that do literally nothing for the team...

It's called confirmation bias...and you're loaded with it."

1.  There may be more really bad wheel light tank players than good ones.  This is a non sequitur since we were not discussing the player mix playing the vehicle, but the vehicle itself. 

2.  You make an assumption about me in the next two sentences ex nihilo, and then ironically accuse me of being biased.  :-)  I certainly notice the best players the most, and agree that many times an EBR isn't used properly because of the player misuse.  
Here is what you failed to consider:  It is fairly easy to see the impact a well used EBR has on the game and then shake your head when one is misused.  A well or very well used EBR has a much higher average impact on the outcome of the game than any other vehicle of its tier.  That is my claim.  My claim is not about the player mix that drives it, not about how it can be driven suicidally into the enemy, etc.  When used competently or brilliantly, it is the best vehicle for its tier in the game across the array of random maps in the game.

TA_Reaper #44 Posted Jun 25 2019 - 15:27

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 40445 battles
I would rather have more Arty than any damn clown cars. Arty instantly dies when hit. Clown cars, IF hit just run off, do their insane auto aim that never misses a shot and hit you three times. WOT really fracked a fairly decent game with clown cars, lights are worthless a scouts, they run circles around mediums, and as for heavies...…….. I detest them so much that an hour ban for a TK has been considered more than once and will more than likely happen in the future.

jeb2 #45 Posted Jun 25 2019 - 15:32

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 51256 battles
  • [HU] HU

Also, remember that all the maps except the Kharkov reboot were drawn, dimensions set, and spawn points placed BEFORE wheelies.

Thus, wheelies can often reach spot points before:

- auto-loaders (and arty) can load

- slower tanks can exit the 100 m immediate spawn area

- folk w/ slower connections even load into the battle

I have seen many slow-to-load-in tanks get hit by wheelies before their name "lights" showing they are in the game

Thus, I feel wheelies have broken those maps

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users