- - - - -

[ST] AE Phase I & Kampfpanzer 50 t - FL & Ranked Rewards

ranked battles ranked rewards frontline frontline rewards ranked rewards supertest

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

DomoSapien #1 Posted Jun 21 2019 - 17:40

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 14818 battles
  • [WGA] WGA

Tankers, we've got details to share about the Frontline and Ranked reward vehicles!

As a reminder, we are committed to making sure that players in NA have an opportunity to earn the Kampfpanzer 50 t and all the corresponding rewards for Ranked Battles. This hasn't changed, and we hope to have more information in that regard very soon™

Frontline - AE Phase I

The main prize of the Frontline mode, the AE Phase I, is about to enter its Supertest.

Looking at this Tier IX American heavy, you’ll immediately notice its distinguishing feature: the segmented tracks. Like the T95 tank destroyer, this tank has four caterpillars, with two on each side. Unlike ‘The Doom Turtle’, the tracks on every side of the AE Phase I are set in a consecutive (and not in a parallel) order. This peculiarity doesn’t change the game mechanics: when a single track segment is destroyed, the tank is stalled.

Now for the protection. The upper glacis plate of the AE Phase I is sloped much and has a thickness of 120 mm. The turret’s frontal armor is outstanding (up to 292 mm), with the commander’s cupola being the single—and small—vulnerable spot. The gun’s excellent depression angle of -10 degrees allows to obscure the cupola from enemies’ sight for most of the time. The side armor is decent, too (from 88 mm to 100 mm). The mobility corresponds to the vehicle’s class. A top speed of 35 km/m and a specific power of 16.1 hp per ton are enough for the AE Phase I to keep up with other heavies while in combat.

Finally, let’s take a look at the 120mm gun. Its stabilization isn’t anything special, and neither is the accuracy (the dispersion is 0.38 m per 100 m). The rate of fire is average (4.8 shots per minute) as is the alpha strike of 400 points. Yet the armor penetration is majestic: 258 mm with the standard AP shell and 340 mm with the special HEAT shell, empowering you with an ability to pierce the protection of any foe, from every side.

The AE Phase I comes with two nice quirks. The first is the status of an event vehicle, freeing you from the necessity to retrain an experienced Crew you assign to this tank. The second is a novel mechanic: a built-in Large Repair Kit consumable. In battle, it works just like a regular one but once the fight is over and you’re in the Garage, you don’t have to purchase a new one as the built-in Large Repair Kit replenishes automatically.

The AE Phase I was designed for close quarters combat. With excellent frontal armor, great gun depression, high armor penetration with both basic and special rounds, and agreeable mobility it can emerge victorious from any brawl.

Ranked Battles - Kampfpanzer 50 t

Today we’re starting the Supertest for the vehicle a lot of you have been waiting for a long time: the Kampfpanzer 50 t, aka the main Ranked Battles mode reward.

This Tier IX German medium tank carries a 105-mm Rheinmetall V1 gun. Among the strong sides of the latter are:

• Accuracy (the dispersion is 0.33 m per 100 m)
  • Armor penetration (268 mm with the basic APCR round and 310 mm with the special HEAT round)
  • Aiming time (2 seconds)
  • View range (400 m)

The gun’s single shot damage is 320 points, and it may seem not much at first sight. Yet good stabilization, a barrel depression of -8 degrees, and high armor penetration make the 50 t an efficient fighter at any distance, able to damage every opponent.

The Kampfpanzer 50 t also has decent survivability. It possesses 1,750 hit points, a 120 mm thick upper glacis plate sloped at an impressive angle and bears up to 250 mm of armor at the front of its turret. Still there’s a couple of weak points, namely the gunner’s sights and the machine gun cupola at the rear. Also, the side armor is pretty thin (just 40 mm) so angling this tank’s hull is not recommended.

Less armor means more mobility. The Kampfpanzer 50 t can boast a top speed of 60 km/h and a specific power of 18 hp per ton. This German can reach a key position on a map fast, provide fire support for an attack from there, and then return to the base just in time to defend it (if needed).

A nice feature of this tank is its status of an event vehicle: you may place any suitable Crew in it, without the need to retrain.

The Kampfpanzer 50 t is a medium/heavy tank hybrid combining the best of both worlds (and paying very little for that). Good mobility, a gun allowing for comfortable play, an armor which is exquisite for a medium—these are the strong sides or this German newcomer.

Still, the strongest side of the 50t are not the stats; it’s YOU—the veteran player hardened by the Ranked Battles.

SCREENSHOTS

That's it for now! Good luck on the battlefield.

EDIT 6/24: Folks, we have some updated parameters for the vehicles after their first week on Supertest. The updated values are as follows:

Kampfpanzer 50 t
Gun dispersion during hull movement and during hull traverse from 0.14 to 0.16
Dispersion during turret rotation from 0.1 to 0.12
Reload time from 8.7 to 9.5

AE Phase I
Aiming time from 2.7 to 2.5
Gun dispersion during hull movement and during hull traverse from 0.16 to 0.14

Reload time from 12.5 to 11

Edited by DomoSapien, Jun 24 2019 - 19:44.

ThatTrafficCone #2 Posted Jun 21 2019 - 17:52

Sergeant

• Players
  • 42629 battles
  • [FD_UP] FD_UP

A few points

• The Associated Engineers Phase I was originally designed as a medium tank with the 105 mm T140, essentially being a less-mobile M48 Patton. I'm curious what the rational is behind making it a heavy tank more comparable to the M103?
  • The Kampfpanzer 50 t looks Swiss in design. If so, I wish we'd just get a Switzerland tech tree already. Don't suppose you could share the historical information on it?

Looking forward to getting my hands on them both! Any details yet on how we might get the Kampfpanzer since we don't have Ranked Battles?

Chad1233 #3 Posted Jun 21 2019 - 17:56

Sergeant

• Players
  • 40473 battles
  • [THUGZ] THUGZ
I'm to curious about why the AE Phase I is being turned into a heavy tank with a 120. Also I like we're being shown the Ranked Battle reward tank when we can't even play it. XD

Edited by Chad1233, Jun 21 2019 - 17:56.

Jambijon #4 Posted Jun 21 2019 - 18:00

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 3678 battles
  • [WGA] WGA
One step closer to my dream tank:

Spoiler

Garandster #5 Posted Jun 21 2019 - 18:01

Captain

• -Players-
  • 6134 battles

View PostThatTrafficCone, on Jun 21 2019 - 11:52, said:

A few points

• The Associated Engineers Phase I was originally designed as a medium tank with the 105 mm T140, essentially being a less-mobile M48 Patton. I'm curious what the rational is behind making it a heavy tank more comparable to the M103?

If it chooses to identify as a heavy rather than the medium, so be it, who are we to say otherwise in this modern world.

DomoSapien #6 Posted Jun 21 2019 - 18:03

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 14818 battles
  • [WGA] WGA

View PostThatTrafficCone, on Jun 21 2019 - 10:52, said:

A few points

• The Kampfpanzer 50 t looks Swiss in design. If so, I wish we'd just get a Switzerland tech tree already. Don't suppose you could share the historical information on it?

Looking forward to getting my hands on them both! Any details yet on how we might get the Kampfpanzer since we don't have Ranked Battles?

Unfortunately I wasn't provided any historical information but I will consult with the Chieftain and see if he can dig anything up.

View PostChad1233, on Jun 21 2019 - 10:56, said:

I'm to curious about why the AE Phase I is being turned into a heavy tank with a 120. Also I like we're being shown the Ranked Battle reward tank when we can't even play it. XD

Honestly your guess is as good as mine. Maybe they felt its playstyle would be too similar to the M60, M46, and M48?

As for the 50 t, I was actually pretty hesitant to post about it because I figured it would only invite negative sentiment and ultimately do more harm than good. However after exchanging a few emails with global I was assured that our plans hadn't changed and we are still planning to give players on the NA and APAC servers a chance to earn the ranked rewards. With that in mind, we decided to post about the vehicle so that we could give players a centralized space for discussion about its characteristics.

Chad1233 #7 Posted Jun 21 2019 - 18:06

Sergeant

• Players
  • 40473 battles
  • [THUGZ] THUGZ

View PostDomoSapien, on Jun 21 2019 - 11:03, said:

Unfortunately I wasn't provided any historical information but I will consult with the Chieftain and see if he can dig anything up.

Honestly your guess is as good as mine. Maybe they felt its playstyle would be too similar to the M60, M46, and M48?

A player posted a topic in 2014 explaining in great detail what the Phase I and II was all about. The info came from a book.

http://forum.worldof...-mammoth-tanks/

Edited by Chad1233, Jun 21 2019 - 18:07.

ThatTrafficCone #8 Posted Jun 21 2019 - 18:15

Sergeant

• Players
  • 42629 battles
  • [FD_UP] FD_UP

View PostDomoSapien, on Jun 21 2019 - 10:03, said:

I guess it would, given what little I know about the tank. The segmented tracks gave the tank the unique ability of still being able to drive around even with one track thrown, although at a reduced speed. I wish that was the unique mechanic. But maybe the free repair kit is alluding towards some broader consumable changes in the future?

It just rubs me the wrong way when tanks are wrongly misrepresented. I can understand understand unhistorical guns and engines, but things like armor and speed shouldn't stray too far from their real values (if such values are even known) in my opinion. Just doesn't make much sense to make what was a medium tank into a heavy tank (looking at you T54E2). I would personally love if it was just a slow M46 Patton with a better gun. But alas, c'est la vie.

View PostDomoSapien, on Jun 21 2019 - 10:03, said:

As for the 50 t, I was actually pretty hesitant to post about it because I figured it would only invite negative sentiment and ultimately do more harm than good. However after exchanging a few emails with global I was assured that our plans hadn't changed and we are still planning to give players on the NA and APAC servers a chance to earn the ranked rewards. With that in mind, we decided to post about the vehicle so that we could give players a centralized space for discussion about its characteristics.

People will always whine. Look at what I just wrote in this same comment lol. As long as there will be a way for us to get our hands on the tank, I'm not one to complain about how.

Ortinoth_ #9 Posted Jun 21 2019 - 18:22

Captain

• Players
  • 27228 battles
  • [SEGA] SEGA
For the Ranked rewards as long as NA gets information on the event since we actually can't have ranked battles which i am saddend and still upset that NA didn't get the chance to have them. In order to earn the same rewards as the rest of the world community of world of tanks then its all good, but honestly I really think this should have been already announced at the same time as when the new ranked battles were canceled not a month , two or longer after. The AE Phase one will be a heavy so it will play like the m103, T27 E5 as a hull down ridge line support tank.. but looking at the stats its going to be a meh tank from ST interation stats- and to me its not worth 220+ hours at captain rank to spend so much time in the game mode which has become stale and the 66.37% increase to each prestige rank time in xp cost is just unbarable for 10 months of a grind 

YANKEE137 #10 Posted Jun 21 2019 - 18:58

Major

• -Players-
  • 13970 battles
  • [6-ACR] 6-ACR

Just curious why Tier 9 rewards ?  I mean you can't use tier 9 in Frontline.  You can't use tier 9 in Ranked Battles.   Why on Earth would you give rewards for an event that are unusable in said event ? 

Tier 9 doesn't have ranked battles. Doesn't get decals. Clan wars.   It's sort of a strange place.

enjineer #11 Posted Jun 21 2019 - 18:58

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 46226 battles
  • [-CMF-] -CMF-
LOL, a 400 alpha gun with a 12+ second reload.   Obj 430 says Hi.

CynicalDutchie #12 Posted Jun 21 2019 - 19:16

Major

• Players
  • 43172 battles
  • [CYNIC] CYNIC
More American tanks being wasted on special vehicles! RIP USA tech tree.

Goat_Rodeo #13 Posted Jun 21 2019 - 19:46

Captain

• -Players-
  • 15281 battles
  • [DHO4] DHO4

View Postenjineer, on Jun 21 2019 - 17:58, said:

LOL, a 400 alpha gun with a 12+ second reload.   Obj 430 says Hi.

At first sight I was getting a little worked up and excited about this tier 9 US heavy. Then in a moment of sobriety I looked closely at the numbers...sweet Jesus, really? A tier 8 with a lot of those numbers are pretty much turkeys. It’s only in supertest atm, but unless there’s a hefty increase in DPM and accuracy...well the Emil 1951 looks like a good exit point for me. 

I’d really like to see those numbers at least come into the competitive range. Nothing like a grind fest just to win a wounded Impala to take out on the Serengeti plains.

YANKEE137 #14 Posted Jun 21 2019 - 20:26

Major

• -Players-
  • 13970 battles
  • [6-ACR] 6-ACR

View PostGoat_Rodeo, on Jun 21 2019 - 19:46, said:

At first sight I was getting a little worked up and excited about this tier 9 US heavy. Then in a moment of sobriety I looked closely at the numbers...sweet Jesus, really? A tier 8 with a lot of those numbers are pretty much turkeys. It’s only in supertest atm, but unless there’s a hefty increase in DPM and accuracy...well the Emil 1951 looks like a good exit point for me. 

I’d really like to see those numbers at least come into the competitive range. Nothing like a grind fest just to win a wounded Impala to take out on the Serengeti plains.

There's good and then there's Russian Good.

razed98 #15 Posted Jun 21 2019 - 20:30

Corporal

• Players
  • 38930 battles
  • [QUACK] QUACK
That AE looks like it needs a dpm buff to worth it. Going for it anyways because it looks like the E6. I was honestly hoping we would get the SU-122-54 back. Tanks like it and the old 430 that weren't op but just werent played as often are what I'd be most excited about getting in my garage.

Avalon304 #16 Posted Jun 21 2019 - 20:54

Major

• Players
  • 23386 battles
  • [SNPAI] SNPAI
Put the AE Phase 1 into the upcoming bond shop. Especailly with the built in repair kit... that seems like a bad thing to have locked to a unique tank locked behind a long grind.

RoIito #17 Posted Jun 21 2019 - 22:36

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 17476 battles
  • [_ADP_] _ADP_

View PostYANKEE137, on Jun 21 2019 - 12:58, said:

Just curious why Tier 9 rewards ?  I mean you can't use tier 9 in Frontline.  You can't use tier 9 in Ranked Battles.   Why on Earth would you give rewards for an event that are unusable in said event ? 

Tier 9 doesn't have ranked battles. Doesn't get decals. Clan wars.   It's sort of a strange place.

They probably figured out tier 8 and 10 were full of broken reward/premium tanks and tier 9 wasn't, so it was time for them to fix that.

Mermaid_Witch #18 Posted Jun 21 2019 - 22:39

Major

• Players
  • 12497 battles

Wargaming: "We don't have enough data to put together a new American medium line.  We'd love to, but we just don't have the tanks for it."

Also Wargaming: "Here are two new American medium heavy tanks that we obviously have info on, but can't be arsed to put into a tree.  Now if you will excuse us, we found a snot mark on a Russian journal that sorta looks like a tank, so we're making a new line with the snot mark as the Tier 10.  Keep buying from us!"

Goat_Rodeo #19 Posted Jun 22 2019 - 01:39

Captain

• -Players-
  • 15281 battles
  • [DHO4] DHO4

View PostYANKEE137, on Jun 21 2019 - 19:26, said:

There's good and then there's Russian Good.

I chalk it all up to a unrequited approaches to the Fulda Gap envy on the part of the Russians. 

General_Greg101 #20 Posted Jun 22 2019 - 18:37

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 17351 battles
    The AE phase 1 is becoming the T34 of tier IX. The only thing that might save this thing (and also kill it) is the turret roof armor (specifically the small stunt ramp that is above the gun). It could have 360mm of frontal turret armor, but if the roof can be overmatched by 120mm guns, and greater that would just finish it. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users