Heavy Map Strategy

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

ddraig_goch_ #1 Posted Jun 24 2019 - 16:18

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 5606 battles
  • [74TH] 74TH

I keep getting top tier Heavy Sand River SE spawn. I feel like i'm expected to go up the center. But at the corner where the mosque is, i get slammed by TD's on the hill to the west. Then i have to wait the game out for someone to flank or lose. If i don't do what is expected, then i too become a TD and just wait the game out.  With the M10 RBFM out there seem to be more TD's than Med's Hvy's, seems kind of useless to go mid. And what a waste of being top tier.

Is there some good strategy here, I have blocked Airfield, and Mines, so that isn't an option.

diesel__1 #2 Posted Jun 24 2019 - 16:25

Major

• -Players-
  • 8095 battles

View PostWraytl, on Jun 24 2019 - 08:18, said:

I keep getting top tier Heavy Sand River SE spawn. I feel like i'm expected to go up the center. But at the corner where the mosque is, i get slammed by TD's on the hill to the west. Then i have to wait the game out for someone to flank or lose. If i don't do what is expected, then i too become a TD and just wait the game out.  With the M10 RBFM out there seem to be more TD's than Med's Hvy's, seems kind of useless to go mid. And what a waste of being top tier.

Is there some good strategy here, I have blocked Airfield, and Mines, so that isn't an option.

Play the game YOUR way.......it's much more enjoyable.

grandthefttankV #3 Posted Jun 24 2019 - 16:28

Major

• Players
  • 35653 battles
  • [_EOS_] _EOS_
Do not go center. Ever.

If you are in a fast top tier tank, you can sprint for the north and bully the weak light tanks there.

Or you can attack by sniping from range in the south, advancing slowly at all times.

If you must fight center stay back and snipe like a TD.

ethics_gradient #4 Posted Jun 24 2019 - 16:30

Major

• Players
  • 41190 battles
  • [DHO-X] DHO-X
I think as a general proposition, the team will need a heavy to go up the middle in that valley, if only to spot.  You just have to be patient.

SwollenOstrich #5 Posted Jun 24 2019 - 16:39

Captain

• Players
  • 24915 battles

If what you are doing isn't working, try something different.

Also, arty is a big influence on that map. 

Heavies often go middle canyon because they are at least arty safe... until they turn the corner by the mosque. Pushing is very hard ... the further you go the more you can get hit from three sides and artied to death.

If there is no arty or only one arty you can try going to the dip and ridge a bit north but still in the middle of the map. You can get hull down, harrass the sides and rear of red tanks who went north, while protected from base camping tds.

If there are 2-3 arty you can try going the far north route, at least there is some cover there.

Hjamnr #6 Posted Jun 24 2019 - 16:44

Corporal

• Players
  • 38955 battles
  • [-KFC-] -KFC-

View PostWraytl, on Jun 24 2019 - 09:18, said:

It depends which heavy you're playing.

If you have good gun depression and some speed you can do the south dunes.   If not, the old HT area of the bowl NW of the spawn area can work.

BlackFive #7 Posted Jun 24 2019 - 16:58

Major

• Players
  • 35219 battles
  • [_E_] _E_
I generally prefer the flanks and hills... So much better than being shot at from multiple directions 

JollyGrim #8 Posted Jun 24 2019 - 17:02

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 36683 battles

I abhor the wadi fight in a heavy.  I usually go with one of three options:

• If we have a group heading to the one line and I'm in something slow, I'll probably go to the mosque - staying up high, but also still covering the wadi.  Use the mosque as initial cover from TD's / arty and go from there.
  • If we have a large group heading to the hills, I'll go right and cautiously play the mid-ridge.
  • My preferred method - if I'm halfway mobile, at least have turret armor, and have any support; I'll push the 1 line myself.  You can light and shoot into the wadi and TD positions.  If there's arty, be more aggressive (hopefully with support).  If not, take your time and pick it all apart.

By the way, if you're ever struggling with a map like this, head to wotreplays and download a few good games in whatever style tank you're playing to get an idea of what other people do.  Sometimes people get lucky, but if you watch a few, you'll get an idea of what works.

vyle02 #9 Posted Jun 24 2019 - 17:39

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 31935 battles
  • [BRT] BRT
Don't go center, if you are not good at playing it then go play to your tanks strengths. There are plenty of places for heavies to go and be effective on that map, it depends on what kind of heavy. But here is a suggestion, go to wotreplays and search for ace tanker heavy games from tanks of your tier and watch and see how they played the map, where did they go, how did they use the position, how did they use cover and terrain, pay attention to these things and study and you will do much better. its a great way to improve at the game in general.

VetteTanker #10 Posted Jun 24 2019 - 17:44

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 55740 battles
  • [-TSM-] -TSM-

play your game.. Stop the whats expected and have fun.. Sometimes though if you do the expected, play safe and just spot or hold the front while the flanks close in

coconut2011 #11 Posted Jun 24 2019 - 18:00

Captain

• Players
  • 62527 battles
  • [AWOO] AWOO

The middle part can work if your heavy has good frontal armors or can sidescrape well, but do not push until the situation is abundantly clear.

Since you know where the potential shots are coming from, you need to avoid such light of sight.  Then occasionally quickly peek out and move back to spot a little.  When lights / meds light up the flank, shoot the flank.  This way, you can stay pretty safe while getting some damage and assists.  If the enemy pushes, this is generally the ideal situation since you will generally get plenty support from arties / TDs / meds in the back.

Once the situation is very clear (i.e. count the tanks and where they are), cautiously push.  You do want to be aware of the enemy positions and where you could be sniped from.

Flarvin #12 Posted Jun 24 2019 - 18:03

Major

• Players
  • 54445 battles

View Postdiesel__1, on Jun 24 2019 - 10:25, said:

Play the game YOUR way.......it's much more enjoyable.

This is the best advice. 

Hjamnr #13 Posted Jun 24 2019 - 18:17

Corporal

• Players
  • 38955 battles
  • [-KFC-] -KFC-

View PostVetteTanker, on Jun 24 2019 - 10:44, said:

play your game.. Stop the whats expected and have fun.. Sometimes though if you do the expected, play safe and just spot or hold the front while the flanks close in

View PostFlarvin, on Jun 24 2019 - 11:03, said:

This is the best advice. 

No, it's not.

This person is asking for advice on how to best play SR in a heavy, not for huggy-feely hippy philosophy from people who mostly play at tier 5 and below.

HeraldricKnight #14 Posted Jun 24 2019 - 18:58

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 7860 battles

It all depends on the Heavy Tank you're driving. 

Tanks with poor gun depression, basically anything Russian, are better suited in the center for good reasons. One, it's incredibly hard to flank from the top, which makes all the frontal armor more effective. Two, the bend in the wadi acts as a point of no return that you can easily discern as 'there are guns pointed at the turn'. Three, you can bet any amount of money where the Tank Destroyers are most likely lurking (on the plateau further back) and plan accordingly. 

If you're a slow, top-heavy like the T-29, the dunes are far more beneficial as the gun depression and turret of the T-29 will laugh at a majority of what's shooting at it, so long as you know where it is coming from. 

If you're in something relatively quick with something that isn't and auto-loader and possess decent gun depression, then up in the mountains you can go, though its a bit of a commitment to take the mountain pass. 

The wadi is important in that its the safest route from one point to the other. If left unguarded, the enemy can easily defend the cap. So the wadi inevitably becomes a fixed point of contention, dependent on the combat flowing around it to shift the battle. 

moogleslam #15 Posted Jun 24 2019 - 19:30

Major

• Players
  • 45747 battles
  • [GURUS] GURUS

It's nice to see someone asking on the forums instead of 1.  Doing stupid things in battle, or 2. Getting hate in battle for whatever decisions you do make (without know if they're good or bad).  Now you can at least be confident that you have forum approved dispersion :)

Yeah, Heavies on this map is tough.  The middle is too exposed indeed, and for initial dispersion, I've stopped going there entirely, no matter what I'm in.  Exposed from the TD sniping positions, as well as from the K line.

Not sure why, but I rarely go North here too.  I think it's because there's less strategy involved up there.  It's mostly just watching for the enemies shots, then poking, firing, retreating, and repeating.... but I should spend more time there.  I'm just more familiar with the terrain and micro positioning of the south.  Initially, I'll go to H1 area or K7 area, depending on spawn, and look for shots down on the tanks that do go mid, and then I'll see how things play out along the K line.  Then I'll either move down to the sand river, using buildings for cover, or I'll push K line if its viable, scouted, and safe.  Before doing that, you'll also often know how the enemy team has dispersed, and know if the north is going to fall etc, so you can always go back to defend along the respective ridges with the soft and hard cover.  Of course, this all depends what the rest of my team is doing too.

ddraig_goch_ #16 Posted Jun 24 2019 - 23:30

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 5606 battles
  • [74TH] 74TH

Today i was in a KV-1S, as it is very infrequent i am top tier, i usually get to do what i want (multiple people advising just this). Some others gave me how they play and i will to a strat sketch to see if i can remember these. And for those who suggested wotreplays, Its brilliant! Thank You all.

Guido1212 #17 Posted Jun 24 2019 - 23:59

Community Contributor

• Players
  • 81373 battles
  • [GFLC] GFLC
Center was death long ago.  Then the map changed and the center was "the" heavy area.  Then it changed again with even more TD spots to stop the heavy push and it is back to death.

13Jake55 #18 Posted Jun 25 2019 - 00:15

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 20752 battles
As a TD the hill to the west is where I go and take potshots at the heavies in the valley. I never go that way when a heavy but usually to a flank unless I am in a heavily armored slow heavy and then I have no choice.

Also tagged with Heavy, Map, Strategy

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users