Idea Madness Historical Battles Frontlines Conquest Battlefront? Wut

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Razavn #1 Posted Jun 25 2019 - 02:53

Captain

• Players
  • 38833 battles
  • [OTTER] OTTER

So, it is been a long time since I've posted on the forums, but after this last Frontlines Season, I thought of ways that it might be improved and of game modes that WG had issues with in the past due to not having some mechanics available. Hence this possible abomination of an idea was spawned. My apologies in advance for any, and I'm sure there are many, grammatical mistakes, this was a rough draft I threw together but I wanted to see if perhaps the idea has merit.

“Historical” Frontlines Conquest

Abstract:  WG had, at one point tried “Historical Battles,” however those didn’t last all that long and had some balancing issues. With the advent of Frontlines, the objective/reserve system, respawns, etc; perhaps it is time to take another look at implementing an ambitious design. This could combine the draw of having historical tanks with, somewhat historical parameters, coupled with some of the new mechanics that might make such a matchup, well, fun.

Similar to FL this would not be a 15 vs 15. Whether it is a true 30 vs 30, or if the numbers would have to be changed slightly for balance purposes could be left up to testing. Tank types would be limited to historical vehicles in historical configurations with some limitations (see below). Unlike FL, and perhaps more similar to something like the Battlefront games, players will NOT be able to spawn willy nilly in Tigers, IS’s, SU-152, Panthers, Pershings, etc. Rather, at least at the start of the game, the only vehicles classes available would be the “fast movers” or “Vanguard” forces (with some exceptions for the Defending Team). This would mean tanks like base M4s, Stugs, T-34s, PZIVs, etc make up the starting and the backbone force of each side and are “free” to play (more on that later).

For the conceit itself, the Defending team starts with all points (6-9) like in FL, though the structure may vary (i.e. not turrets at the end). Instead of each point just being a Capture Circle in the middle of nowhere, each capture point actually represents something tangible. Either something your team can “earn” by taking/defending or something you can deny the enemy team by possessing. An example of this would be a Fuel Depot. If you take this point, you deny the enemy some (but not all) access to Heavy and Super Heavy Tanks/TDs. Another might be an AA Battery. Taking this would allow your team access to Air Strike and Recon Planes. Or even “Forward Observers” giving your team access to Arty Strikes.

Now, I mentioned denying the enemy team access to “Heavies,” and this is where player performance and objectives come to bear. The idea for this is somewhat similar to the Battlefront games, where you can buy access to improved classes (in this case tanks) with Battle Points. Similar to that, I foresee earning points through play. Capping objectives, spotting tanks, damaging tanks, etc earns a player points they can use both in play (calling in reserves) or after they die (spawning in a “Improved” tank). There would only be a certain number of these vehicles available at one time (i.e. no 10 Tiger tanks for the Germans) and the availability might fluctuate based off objectives. For example, if you control the aforementioned Fuel Depot your team may have access to MORE Tigers, or have a faster “respawn time” of availability. Additionally, these Heavy/Superheavy Tanks/TDs/MTs, are not available till after some time has passed to simulate their need to arrive at the battle. The exception being for some Defending teams who may have access to a small number of them. Reserves and Objectives would also not start immediately active for balancing purposes (Defending team would have a massive advantage). Another balancing possibility might be that ONLY the starting tanks can use Reserves.

As for vehicle balancing, hit points, mobility, penetration and damage, of nearly all of the historical vehicles may need to be adjusted, not just restricting them to their historical modules. A Tiger 1 with 1500 HP should not survive 15 hits to the side from 76mm equipped T-34s. Likewise, a 76mm Hellcat should be a damn sight faster and have improved traverse. This may be difficult to implement, but I feel could make a fun experience. Maps could be historical battles (Battle of the Bulge, Defense of Moscow, etc) or even alternate history ones, such as WW3 with Russia invading Europe after WW2 (IS-3s, Pattons, etc).

As one such example, say for a WW3 simulated Russian invasion of Europe. Attacking team would be Russian  tanks (including possibly T55As, Polish, and Chinese tanks) and the first available defending tanks would be cold war era German tanks (Leo1, Kanons, etc) and some small number of US tanks (M103, M48, etc). After about 5 min UK, French, and Italian tanks become available as well to simulate NATO mobilizing. Final objectives for the Russians to take could be either nuke silos or rather to disable Patriot missile batteries.

Edited by Razavn, Jun 25 2019 - 04:33.

LieutenantGeneral_A #2 Posted Jun 25 2019 - 03:13

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 9633 battles
  • [SIDE] SIDE
You might consider renaming the game to "War Thunder" as well.:teethhappy:

Razavn #3 Posted Jun 25 2019 - 04:35

Captain

• Players
  • 38833 battles
  • [OTTER] OTTER

View PostLieutenantGeneral_A, on Jun 25 2019 - 02:13, said:

You might consider renaming the game to "War Thunder" as well.:teethhappy:

I've not played WT since it came out of Beta, but to my recollection, I don't recall them ever having a mode similar to what I described. I'm also not aiming for "1 shot knock outs" like what could be pulled off in WT either, no planes (other than reserves), etc. So what makes this resemble WT currently?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users