new player experience

• Please log in to reply
157 replies to this topic

KINGN0VA #1 Posted Jun 27 2019 - 06:15

Sergeant

• Players
  • 14540 battles
  • [KRAZY] KRAZY

So, I've invited a friend to play the game. I'm trying my best to play the lower tiers with him to help him GRIND through the absolutely unrewarding and horrible experience. For the love of creation please do something about this... These tanks suck, the whole experience sucks. How I got through it all those years ago? I don't know - maybe comparatively then it wasn't so bad, but now there is zero appeal to playing such [edited]gameplay.

It's just stupid to have a system the promotes more seasoned players to participate in these tiers simply because they have better crews and more experience. And GET RID OF 50% crews... omg how dumb can your producers be to think that this adds ANY depth or value at the lower tiers. 50% crews are just stupid to begin with... Tanks has had plenty of time to mature and figure this out. STOP CHARGING PEOPLE TO MOVE THEIR CREWS UP AS THEY TIER UP... THAT'S AN IMMEDIATE TURNOFF. A WASTE.

This is such a glaring issue it's unbelievable that it's still like this all these years later.

Edited by KINGN0VA, Jun 27 2019 - 06:32.

DeviouslyCursed #2 Posted Jun 27 2019 - 06:19

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 4508 battles

View PostKINGN0VA, on Jun 27 2019 - 06:15, said:

So, I've invited a friend to play the game. I'm trying my best to play the lower tiers with him to help him GRIND through the absolutely unrewarding and horrible experience. For the love of creation please do something about this... These tanks suck, the whole experience sucks. How I got through it all those years ago? I don't know - maybe comparatively then it wasn't so bad, but now there is zero appeal to playing such [edited]gameplay.

yeah, from the inability to get a match, to the seal clubbers with 5+skill crews in OP as F tanks, it's not a fun experience.

P0NYTANK #3 Posted Jun 27 2019 - 06:46

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 43386 battles
  • [-RECK] -RECK

Yup, it does, WG have to work on a safe space and a better learning curve for the newcomers, and restrain the Seal Clubbers to mess up with the experience of them.

News Players + A better experience = + More income

Easy like that, and it makes a healty and fresh server :rolleyes:

MightyBarbarian #4 Posted Jun 27 2019 - 07:00

Captain

• Players
  • 38175 battles
8 years they haven't figured it out. How many more years do you give WG?

grandthefttankV #5 Posted Jun 27 2019 - 07:08

Major

• Players
  • 35621 battles
  • [_EOS_] _EOS_

View PostMightyBarbarian, on Jun 27 2019 - 06:00, said:

8 years they haven't figured it out. How many more years do you give WG?

As many years as there are people who pay for this game

PotatoLegend99 #6 Posted Jun 27 2019 - 07:14

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 35389 battles
Go on the SA server if your friend can tolerate the lag. It's easy to power grind the low tiers there because they have bots up to tier 5

KINGN0VA #7 Posted Jun 27 2019 - 07:17

Sergeant

• Players
  • 14540 battles
  • [KRAZY] KRAZY

View PostPotatoLegend99, on Jun 27 2019 - 00:14, said:

Go on the SA server if your friend can tolerate the lag. It's easy to power grind the low tiers there because they have bots up to tier 5

lol - honestly that's not a bad idea.

raymee101 #8 Posted Jun 27 2019 - 07:24

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 67939 battles
  • [WONKA] WONKA
I recently had a couple friends join as well but they quit by tier 4, they were just being farmed by stat padders so there was no real way to compete.  Its too bad cause the game will never grow because of the padders, they are killing the game that they play by doing it.  I dont really understand the appeal to working your way up to higher tiers and then going back and playing 4000 games in a t67 or whatever just to farm weaker tanks but when i joined these new guys to help them level up tiers, i would see a huge amount of blue and purple players with over 30k games just sitting and farming their win8.

Taylor3006 #9 Posted Jun 27 2019 - 07:28

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 2596 battles

View PostKINGN0VA, on Jun 27 2019 - 00:17, said:

lol - honestly that's not a bad idea.

I have had an WoT account for years but only recently started playing. It does suck like you said but then I found the SA server. Having bots on both teams is great because you can actually DO something before you just get taken out without a clue what happened. I am currently playing at tier 5 and am just getting my campaign missions done right and left. You don't always get a win of course because there are humans on both teams but at least you die fighting unlike what happens on NA. No need for gold ammo, no need for expensive consumables. It really is loads of fun and since I can not read Spanish, chat seems much more pleasant. Course they could be cussing me a blue streak but I wouldn't know. On NA playing at tier 5, I get called a noob quite a bit which makes me laugh because I always respond, "I am tier 5, of course I am a noob".. I am guessing some of the players on NA are not the sharpest tools in the shed...

Edited by Taylor3006, Jun 27 2019 - 09:15.

KINGN0VA #10 Posted Jun 27 2019 - 07:52

Sergeant

• Players
  • 14540 battles
  • [KRAZY] KRAZY

View PostTaylor3006, on Jun 27 2019 - 00:28, said:

I have had an WoT account for year but only recently started playing. It does suck like you said but then I found the SA server. Having bots on both teams is great because you can actually DO something before you just get taken out without a clue what happened. I am currently playing at tier 5 and am just getting my campaign missions done right and left. You don't always get a win of course because there are humans on both teams but at least you die fighting unlike what happens on NA. No need for gold ammo, no need for expensive consumables. It really is loads of fun and since I can not read Spanish, chat seems much more pleasant. Course they could be cussing me a blue streak but I wouldn't know. On NA playing at tier 5, I get called a noob quite a bit which makes me laugh because I always respond, "I am tier 5, of course I am a noob".. I am guessing some of the players on NA are not the sharpest tools in the shed...

You are very correct on your observation of tools. I hate you've had to endure that treatment. I hope your experience improves with all the changes coming down the pipe. HOPEFULLY, they'll work on the damn new player experience.

I guess they just expect everyone in those tiers to be experienced... idk. 

Edited by KINGN0VA, Jun 27 2019 - 07:52.

I_QQ_4_U #11 Posted Jun 27 2019 - 08:09

Major

• -Players-
  • 22510 battles

Welcome to video games. Every single decent PvP game that's been around a while sucks for new players, there's no way around it, even if you made every player exactly the same in ability they'll still have experience.

BTW I started playing this account in 2016(played for a month or so in 2011 but really made no effort to learn the game) and I had no problems and actually quite enjoyed the game despite the seal clubbers and not knowing the mechanics of the game but then I'm old enough that I'm used to making an effort to get better and expected this kind of hurdles. About the only thing I really didn't like was how hard it was to get a game at low tiers off prime time.

Edited by I_QQ_4_U, Jun 27 2019 - 08:13.

The_Mad_Witch #12 Posted Jun 27 2019 - 09:56

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 367 battles

So, I've invited a friend to play the game. 

So not a good friend.

:hiding:

You are right.  this experience blows

__SoLoCo__king #13 Posted Jun 27 2019 - 10:06

Sergeant

• Players
  • 79670 battles
  • [OPIC] OPIC

Gday, Ive helped over 30 players get over the begineer hump. PM to toon and to assist with garage maintenance. My son doesnt use his account anymore and it has 180 tanks crewed ready to go so that can help with a few battles to get the hang of map control/movment etc. then can work on game mechanic and mid and end game gameplay. __SoLoCo__King

Edited by __SoLoCo__king, Jun 27 2019 - 10:06.

__SoLoCo__king #14 Posted Jun 27 2019 - 10:09

Sergeant

• Players
  • 79670 battles
  • [OPIC] OPIC

View Postraymee101, on Jun 27 2019 - 06:24, said:

I recently had a couple friends join as well but they quit by tier 4, they were just being farmed by stat padders so there was no real way to compete.  Its too bad cause the game will never grow because of the padders, they are killing the game that they play by doing it.  I dont really understand the appeal to working your way up to higher tiers and then going back and playing 4000 games in a t67 or whatever just to farm weaker tanks but when i joined these new guys to help them level up tiers, i would see a huge amount of blue and purple players with over 30k games just sitting and farming their win8.

Im glad your finally starting to work it out bruv. I was telling you this 3-4 years ago and you just thought I was trolling and the arty tks to be honest sucked balls. But glad your finally understanding new/begineer players need help.

Edited by __SoLoCo__king, Jun 27 2019 - 10:11.

Atragon #15 Posted Jun 27 2019 - 11:01

Major

• Players
  • 43448 battles
They need to start off with a T-127 and use an invite code . Thats how I started. T-127 is a great beginner tank. Forget the initial grind from tier 1 that can be done after gathering resources with the T-127. Valentine 2 is another good option but needs to shoot more premium.

Edited by Atragon, Jun 27 2019 - 11:02.

buckschott #16 Posted Jun 27 2019 - 11:56

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 18416 battles
  • [NOBA] NOBA

Crews should be free to move, (one time only...not back and forth) as long as it's to the next tank in the line up to (at least) tier 4. That would give new players a decent chance to get their 1st crew skill before having to dump 20000 credits a crew member into a transfer just to lose 10% of the progress they just made or spend gold.

Not only would it ease up the initial grind a little for new players (who are definitely credit poor) it would allow them to invest the credits they would have spent on training on equipment that they desperately need to be competitive. 

It would also encourage new players to stay down in the lower tiers longer where they could actually learn some of the mechanics before heading into deeper waters.

Arrowheadmen #17 Posted Jun 27 2019 - 14:25

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 22657 battles
  • [XCAL] XCAL

I have said it before and will say it again, you got to REALLY enjoy this game to stick with it past Tier 5. Between the lack of credits, getting farmed by clubbers, sucky tanks, not knowing what you are doing or how the hell you just got killed sometimes, and the extreme toxicity and messages you receive after almost every battle(well at least I did cause I sucked bad).

Until one day, when I received another after battle message which I almost didn't open because I knew it was going to be another one telling me how bad I sucked, instead this one was from a light tank player who thanked me for doing so much damage on the spots he made. At the time I didn't even know what he was talking about, but we became online WoT friends and we would platoon together and he helped me improve in the game a lot.

So if we want to help new players, maybe instead of berating them, we should offer encouragement and help keep them around, at least if you are concerned about the game dieing in the future.

Edited by Arrowheadmen, Jun 27 2019 - 18:47.

Norseskald #18 Posted Jun 27 2019 - 14:28

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 21705 battles
  • [SKALD] SKALD

It's just stupid to have a system the promotes more seasoned players to participate in these tiers simply because they have better crews and more experience. And GET RID OF 50% crews... omg how dumb can your producers be to think that this adds ANY depth or value at the lower tiers. 50% crews are just stupid to begin with... Tanks has had plenty of time to mature and figure this out. STOP CHARGING PEOPLE TO MOVE THEIR CREWS UP AS THEY TIER UP... THAT'S AN IMMEDIATE TURNOFF. A WASTE.

This is such a glaring issue it's unbelievable that it's still like this all these years later.

one of the things that helped years ago is it wasnt a mash the 2 key fest

Kramah313 #19 Posted Jun 27 2019 - 14:30

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 4580 battles

I started about a year and half ago and for me the biggest difference is how quickly you could get a battle. Back then I never really had to wait to play my 2 minute slugfests on mittengard at tier 1 and 2 (I still fondly remember those), and I could play my M2 medium from the tutorial plenty also. Yes I got killed, a lot, but being new I knew I was terrible and that didn’t really bother me. 

Once I got my KV-1, I started to have more fun in the game. Now I enjoy it a lot, but I know I still have a long way to go. It’s just harder now for new players when you add in long waits for battles at low tiers. I hate starting new lines because of this - I might look into SA server like some are saying if that does help. 

Garandster #20 Posted Jun 27 2019 - 14:49

Captain

• -Players-
  • 5992 battles
The best thing you can do for the new player experience is get to tier 5, everything stabilizes there and becomes better. There is also the HP buff for low tiers coming that will help resolve issues like PZ I Cs running around and clipping you out in 2 seconds. Seriously, as it sits, making a mistake at low tiers is far more dangerous/game ending than at top tiers, its hilarious.

Also tagged with new, player, experience

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users