New Player Experience SUCKS

new player experience

• Please log in to reply
161 replies to this topic

crossedarrows #141 Posted Jul 07 2019 - 21:46

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 29491 battles
The number one thing we all can do to help new players is drop the toxicity in-game and post-game. 

dunniteowl #142 Posted Jul 07 2019 - 22:46

Major

• -Players-
  • 31544 battles

View PostDeviouslyCursed, on Jul 03 2019 - 19:28, said:

I don't think any of you guys know how inaccurate a tier 2 tank is with a 50% crew. Or how stupidly long it takes to aim fully. Anyone that thinks this isn't the major issue at low tiers hasn't played a 50% crew in a very long time.

And it's definitely player skill that lets you kill a new tier 2 player before they can even get close enough to spot you, definitely not your 100% crew, 2 perks that increase view range, with and added optics or binocs. (That was sarcasm too).

Yes I do, I have seen them and farmed them plenty.  When i started this game, I looked at my garage and saw the Crews (I started when each Nation came with One Tier I tank and a 50% Crew.

I played I think maybe three or four battles with 50% crews.  Then I checked to see what I could do about that.  I found that, for a measly 20K credits per crew member, I could start with a 75% crew.  Never did less than that since.  Why wouldn't you consider 20K credits a good deal to get a crew that is half AGAIN better than a freebie crew and only 3/4 of what 200 Gold per Crew would do for you.  That's a pretty good deal.  Just for starting out, it is.

Additionally, if you took enough time to learn your tanks and train up your crew (maybe 20 to 40 battles per tank at tiers I and II) you'd have them up to 100% in short order.  Then, when you get a new tank, take your crew and hit them for another 20K Credits for retraining them to the new tank.  If it's in the same class, it will be 90% of your original value or 75% whichever is greater.  It stops being a good deal when your crew is at or below 84%, because 90% of 84% is 75.6%, which would be listed as 76% and you might as well have a new crew at that point.  If you wait till your crew is 100%, though, they will start at 90% in a new tank of the same class and 80% of a new tank in a different class, which is still better than 75% for the same overall cost in credits.

I didn't 'figure this out' over a long period of time.  I got this within the first hour or two of play well over four years ago.

When my tanks in low tiers are playing, they are low skill, usually less than 100% qualified to start crews.  By the time they get out of tier II (I have a Mission to play each tank 100 matches and/or to a > or = 50% WR) I am working on their first skill or maybe just beginning their second.  That means I might have a one skill, working on a two skill crew in tier III.  By the time that crew reaches tier IV, it's probably working on the start of a 3rd skill, maybe.

Considering this from a Free To Play Pubbie perspective, the arguments about all those high skill crews with tanks using all the complex equipment and directives at tiers I and II is GOT TO BE RARE as a rule.  If anyone is tooling around in a non-premium tier III or lower tank and has more than one or two skills, then you can go ahead and call them tier challenged or a seal clubber.

And there's STILL nothing wrong with that.  Not from a game mechanics and game rules perspective.  That doesn't mean i condone the practice or think it's okay as a thing.  I don't think those folks are worth more of my time than a quick upturn of my nose in disdain and keep on moving before my sense of how pitiful it must be to practice such a thing for nothing more than an ego stroke -- which you have to know is nothing more than that, because it's so low ethics according to any sense of civil conduct I can think of in any culture I have knowledge.

I still think that the single best course of action WG could take would be to beef up their Enter Boot Camp training, make it a Requisite to Complete Part I, Basic Training, before being allowed to even enter Public Random Matches.  It would be better still if players had to re-enter Boot Camp and pass Part II: Regimental Training, which players would have to complete and pass with a minimum level of ability to go above tier V.

Just doing THAT (which I admit is more than a small thing in programming terms) would probably place a pretty certain end, quantitatively as well as qualitatively, to too many folks failing their way up to high tiers and would prevent new players from being nothing more than mere cannon fodder for anyone that's had more than 1000 games overall.  In short, this sort of method would address the Seal Clubbing issue (which is more perception based from my experiences, but hey, perception turns out to be pretty important to a lot of folks) while also curbing the clueless fast fail to higher tiers that some players mistakenly think is going to be where they will play better.

The truth is, though, is that better players will be better players, even without all those extra skills, perks, equipment or consumables that, truthfully, ANYONE can place on their units.  It's the knowledge of the maps, their opponents and their tanks.  When you pretty much know that most of your opponents are going to be unskilled, unprepared and easy to psyche out, you probably don't need a LOT more experience, just a bit more.  It's a matter of scale and perspective, once again.

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO

vinnybagadonuts #143 Posted Jul 07 2019 - 23:44

Captain

• Players
  • 30725 battles

at the end of the day, it would be a fairly trivial thing for WG to improve beginning user experiences to allow for 100% retraining for tanks under tier 4 or whatever for new players (not existing players mind you).

the system is overly cumbersome, and with how quickly you blow thru most of the tanks at those low tiers...its pretty silly for any new player to spend 200 gold per crew member that frequently as they grind up their first few lines etc.  plus it would provide a much better crew for them overall once they reach tier 4/5 if they accumulated all that xp while starting off without it "Resetting" every 20 battles or so.

also just starting out 20k isnt a trivial amount...especially when you have to multiply it by 4 or 5 for each crewmember.  throwing away 100k or more just to go from tier 2 to tier 3 (and even that is at 80%) is a very big deal for someone just starting out.

Edited by vinnybagadonuts, Jul 07 2019 - 23:45.

DeviouslyCursed #144 Posted Jul 08 2019 - 00:08

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 5229 battles
  • [HARM] HARM

View Postdunniteowl, on Jul 07 2019 - 22:46, said:

Yes I do, I have seen them and farmed them plenty.  When i started this game, I looked at my garage and saw the Crews (I started when each Nation came with One Tier I tank and a 50% Crew.

I played I think maybe three or four battles with 50% crews.  Then I checked to see what I could do about that.  I found that, for a measly 20K credits per crew member, I could start with a 75% crew.  Never did less than that since.  Why wouldn't you consider 20K credits a good deal to get a crew that is half AGAIN better than a freebie crew and only 3/4 of what 200 Gold per Crew would do for you.  That's a pretty good deal.  Just for starting out, it is.

Additionally, if you took enough time to learn your tanks and train up your crew (maybe 20 to 40 battles per tank at tiers I and II) you'd have them up to 100% in short order.  Then, when you get a new tank, take your crew and hit them for another 20K Credits for retraining them to the new tank.  If it's in the same class, it will be 90% of your original value or 75% whichever is greater.  It stops being a good deal when your crew is at or below 84%, because 90% of 84% is 75.6%, which would be listed as 76% and you might as well have a new crew at that point.  If you wait till your crew is 100%, though, they will start at 90% in a new tank of the same class and 80% of a new tank in a different class, which is still better than 75% for the same overall cost in credits.

[snip]

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO

If a person is truly new, they will have no way of knowing what the difference between a 100% and 50% crew would be, and whether it would be worth the cost to purchase the boost (75% still puts you at a disadvantage also). You're talking about a price that is like 8 times the cost of a new tank per crew member. Most new players aren't even going to look at that.

It's also kind of silly to expect someone to play and extra 40-50 battles in a low tier tank, just to see if once the crew percentage gets higher if they are still outmatched by the seal clubbers (and they still will be unless they are also in one of the seal clubber tanks). Why would a new player even try to keep playing in those battles? Why would a new player expect things to change later? As far as they are concerned, this is what the game is: Super buffed tanks stomping the heck out of half or more of a team by themselves.

You only get one chance to make a first impression, and the low tiers are not making a good first impression for WoT.

Edited by DeviouslyCursed, Jul 08 2019 - 00:10.

Crypticshock #145 Posted Jul 08 2019 - 01:26

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 19524 battles
  • [TROBS] TROBS

I recently started an EU account.

There is a few things that WG has done to should help newer players; but it requires knowledge of the game before hand - something that WG is bad with.

1. Get yourself a good invite code (I suggest YOGSCAST - 1k gold / 7 days prem / Excelsior / Garage Slot)
  2. I chose to do the bootcamp using Russian tanks; cause it will take me to KV-1.
  3. Get someone that will invite you to the referral program. You get 50% credits/XP while doing the contract. You will get 9 pieces of camo (only use on the hull for 3 tanks). 1 2d Style. The 1500 bonds are useful as well.
  4. You *might* get a crewbook for each nation. Don't use them, yet.
  5. You get a T-34-85M for a rental after you complete the bootcamp. Play it as much as you can; try to get 6th Sense skill before the rental ends.
  6. Using Binocs/Camo net is fine in the low tiers until you get the funds to get proper equipment (Tier 5/6 is where you should start investing in equipment)
  7. You get a token for a Tier 6 Tech Tree tank... I choose Firefly just to do the M10 RBFM marathon but I would have gotten a T-34-85 to use that T-34-85M rental crew ;)
  8. Keep all of the Tier 1 tanks and crew in your garage and use the 20k/100k crew books on them. I have a 94% crew on my Leichtractor so far ;) I'll wait until I have a decent crew, with 6th, before I work towards Tier 4 and train that crew in the Tier 4. I will do similar with the nations I don't really plan on playing yet.
  9. Sweden Line (Tier 5 complete, have to buy the 6), Italy Line (Tier 6 complete, have to buy the 7), KV-1 (Have the KV-1S and KV-2 researched), T-34 with a crew I got from the boot camp and transferred to the A-20, SU-85 (Complete, have to buy the SU-100) and American Tier 4 TD (Not a fan here because I have 75% crew)
  10. I choose a KV-122 from the referral to get a crew for the KV-1S (Used a 250k Crew Book on the crew that came with the KV-122)
  11. I used a crew book on the T-34-85M rental crew and then retrained to the KV-1 using credits.
  12. I used a crew book on the Sweden Tier 1 and retrained into the Lago
  13. I got a female from the 1st Campaign Front (Medium Mission) and put her in the P.43 bis

I finished the referral with 54%, 4220 PR in 526 battles.

The tools that is out there for new players are great. Really great. The knowledge of doing the things I outlined thou is not there. People will still continue to fumble along with 50% crews. A few of my grinds I kept playing the tank AFTER I have the next unlocked just to get the crew to 100% and start on skills (SU-85 I played a few extra games to get 100%). I'd like to say I was fortunate thou - I had like 10 Days of Prem from the bootcamp + invite code. Last week during Tankfest EU dropped a code that gave me prem days + 1500g for the Excelsior I already have. Like 3 Nation camo styles. ...and they had missions with extra prem days.

Note: All of this was done with one hand

dunniteowl #146 Posted Jul 08 2019 - 03:33

Major

• -Players-
  • 31544 battles

View PostDeviouslyCursed, on Jul 07 2019 - 17:08, said:

If a person is truly new, they will have no way of knowing what the difference between a 100% and 50% crew would be, and whether it would be worth the cost to purchase the boost (75% still puts you at a disadvantage also). You're talking about a price that is like 8 times the cost of a new tank per crew member. Most new players aren't even going to look at that.

It's also kind of silly to expect someone to play and extra 40-50 battles in a low tier tank, just to see if once the crew percentage gets higher if they are still outmatched by the seal clubbers (and they still will be unless they are also in one of the seal clubber tanks). Why would a new player even try to keep playing in those battles? Why would a new player expect things to change later? As far as they are concerned, this is what the game is: Super buffed tanks stomping the heck out of half or more of a team by themselves.

You only get one chance to make a first impression, and the low tiers are not making a good first impression for WoT.

Well, sure, that's only, like, Your Opinion, man.

Which, by the way, does nothing at all to change anything I posted.  Your counterpost is nothing more, in my book, than making excuses for why you wouldn't instead of seeing the wisdom of why you would.

Oh well, I think the abbreviation YMMV would apply here.

OvO

DeviouslyCursed #147 Posted Jul 08 2019 - 05:52

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 5229 battles
  • [HARM] HARM

View Postdunniteowl, on Jul 08 2019 - 03:33, said:

Well, sure, that's only, like, Your Opinion, man.

Which, by the way, does nothing at all to change anything I posted.  Your counterpost is nothing more, in my book, than making excuses for why you wouldn't instead of seeing the wisdom of why you would.

Oh well, I think the abbreviation YMMV would apply here.

OvO

It's not opinion or excuses. Most people don't spend 3-4 hours researching a game before they try it. You can keep telling yourself that it's a matter of opinion. Meanwhile, you can go to the lower tiers and you will either see vast swaths of new players having a blast, or you can hear the crickets chirping in empty low tier queues. Which one do you think is happening right now?

Vinnybagadonuts actually had a good suggestion: There's no reason not to let new players switch their crews though tiers 1-4 at 100% for free. This would eliminate most of the disparity, and wouldn't be much of a hassle programming wise. Or you can expect new players to have to learn about all the ins and outs, loopholes, codes, special tricks, and have advanced knowledge of which skill lines and nations to pick. All this so their time in the low tier crap hole is limited and they feed the Pz ICs, Luchs, PzB2s, and T67s for a minimum time possible.

EDIT: Why the hell is it that all the goofballs arguing that low tiers aren't that bad the ones that have thousands upon thousands of games played in those low tiers? Don't want the new players to have a somewhat equal footing, do ya?

Edited by DeviouslyCursed, Jul 08 2019 - 06:01.

ChaseR392 #148 Posted Jul 08 2019 - 08:59

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 9184 battles

View Postdunniteowl, on Jul 07 2019 - 22:46, said:

This.

In my early days I bought exactly 1 new tank and equipped a 50% crew... battled it a few times... noticed it was terrible and started checking as to why it drove and reloaded more slowly than it was supposed too. Checking the stats box in the upper RT hand corner of the garage showed me that I was being penalized for having that 50% crew. After that I never equipped a new tank with less than a 75% crew, if I couldn't afford the credits to get a 75% crew or retrain.... I couldn't afford the tank, period.

da_Rock002 #149 Posted Jul 08 2019 - 17:01

Major

• -Players-
  • 9833 battles

View PostChaseR392, on Jul 08 2019 - 02:59, said:

This.

In my early days I bought exactly 1 new tank and equipped a 50% crew... battled it a few times... noticed it was terrible and started checking as to why it drove and reloaded more slowly than it was supposed too. Checking the stats box in the upper RT hand corner of the garage showed me that I was being penalized for having that 50% crew. After that I never equipped a new tank with less than a 75% crew, if I couldn't afford the credits to get a 75% crew or retrain.... I couldn't afford the tank, period.

You remember when you started and described it.

Would you say that the newbies of today are going to quickly decide something is wrong with their tank/crew and start researching the cause? 

just askin'

eisen1973 #150 Posted Jul 08 2019 - 17:10

Major

• Players
  • 66094 battles
  • [GRIMR] GRIMR
I think new players now have it way easier than us 8 years ago. They have at their disposal more tools in order to learn and to get credits and xp. When I started there were no personal missions, on tracks, monthly missions, tankrewards, personal reserves, trainee programs, all the youtube videos uploaded through all these years by players who got their experience through the ORIGINAL Matchmaker which was real tough with more than 2 tiers spread. Hordes of Type59 vs vk 3601H. Whoever complains now just can't call himself a WOT player and maybe should play something else. 

ChaseR392 #151 Posted Jul 08 2019 - 17:56

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 9184 battles

View Postda_Rock002, on Jul 08 2019 - 17:01, said:

You remember when you started and described it.

Would you say that the newbies of today are going to quickly decide something is wrong with their tank/crew and start researching the cause? 

just askin'

Why are you automatically assuming that new players of today are too incompetent to do the same thing I did little more than a year ago?

Why does anybody assume that they are all so delicate that they can't make it through a few hundred battles to start getting their bearings in the game?

The recurring theme I keep reading in these "poor noob" threads is that the new player of 2019 is too incompetent to understand/learn the game, too lazy to be burdened with grinding credits and XP, too defeatist in attitude to cope with more experienced players, and too thin-skinned deal with "mean" veteran players.

Not one complainer has even acknowledged the progress that WG has made in the last year to give new players a head start now vs. the past:

Tier 6 tokens for completing Boot Camp missions.

Handing out Credit and XP boosters like candy in nearly every mission

Merit Rewards

Play your class right rewards

New premium time with bond missions, 10% credit bonus vault, x3 win boosters, etc.

Super easy French M10 mission

Brought back Tank Rewards

So if the new player of 2019 has all the traits I listed above, and is unwilling or unable to use all the current bonuses I just listed... their reward should be more free tanks, more free crews, free equipment, and free crew skills?

On what planet does that make sense?

vinnybagadonuts #152 Posted Jul 08 2019 - 20:39

Captain

• Players
  • 30725 battles

just for grins I logged onto an old account with <1000 battles to see what the new experience is like at tiers 1-4...and i can honestly say im stunned at how cancerous it is.

easily 5 to 10 players (both teams combined) never leave cap or fire....afk/bots/whatever

every single game had at least 2 platoons of clan members doing their best to pad stats (I never queued up in anything above tier 3).

at least half the players on each team were folks with 20 to 30 thousand battles.

I didnt find it enjoyable in the least, and I like to think I at least have a firm grasp on the basic concepts of this game, I can only imagine how awful that experience must be for someone actually starting the game from scratch.

da_Rock002 #153 Posted Jul 08 2019 - 20:48

Major

• -Players-
  • 9833 battles

View PostChaseR392, on Jul 08 2019 - 11:56, said:

Why are you automatically assuming that new players of today ,,,,

Who "automatically assumed" anything?     I saw you clearly felt the need to investigate why your very first battles gave the results you reported and wondered if there were reasons for that understanding.    Having started 3 years ago, it's been a long time since being in your shoes.   You'd be a perfect person to describe what today's newbies are experiencing.

The_War_Master_2019 #154 Posted Jul 08 2019 - 20:54

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 2019 battles
I agree. I just started playing a month or so ago. I almost uninstalled because the gameplay at tier 1-4 is so deplorable. The tutorials didn't tell me anything about arty and/or tank classes, angling, spotting and the like. No wonder people are saying this game is declining since it can't hold new players for more than a month.

RacWisco #155 Posted Jul 08 2019 - 21:15

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 76107 battles
  • [MOOBS] MOOBS

View PostKINGN0VA, on Jun 27 2019 - 05:15, said:

So, I've invited a friend to play the game. I'm trying my best to play the lower tiers with him to help him GRIND through the absolutely unrewarding and horrible experience. For the love of creation please do something about this... These tanks suck, the whole experience sucks. How I got through it all those years ago? I don't know - maybe comparatively then it wasn't so bad, but now there is zero appeal to playing such [edited]gameplay.

It's just stupid to have a system the promotes more seasoned players to participate in these tiers simply because they have better crews and more experience. And GET RID OF 50% crews... omg how dumb can your producers be to think that this adds ANY depth or value at the lower tiers. 50% crews are just stupid to begin with... Tanks has had plenty of time to mature and figure this out. STOP CHARGING PEOPLE TO MOVE THEIR CREWS UP AS THEY TIER UP... THAT'S AN IMMEDIATE TURNOFF. A WASTE.

This is such a glaring issue it's unbelievable that it's still like this all these years later.

I was a new player once. It was fun and they didn't give away half the free stuff they give out now.

dunniteowl #156 Posted Jul 09 2019 - 00:42

Major

• -Players-
  • 31544 battles

View PostDeviouslyCursed, on Jul 07 2019 - 22:52, said:

It's not opinion or excuses. Most people don't spend 3-4 hours researching a game before they try it. You can keep telling yourself that it's a matter of opinion. Meanwhile, you can go to the lower tiers and you will either see vast swaths of new players having a blast, or you can hear the crickets chirping in empty low tier queues. Which one do you think is happening right now?

Vinnybagadonuts actually had a good suggestion: There's no reason not to let new players switch their crews though tiers 1-4 at 100% for free. This would eliminate most of the disparity, and wouldn't be much of a hassle programming wise. Or you can expect new players to have to learn about all the ins and outs, loopholes, codes, special tricks, and have advanced knowledge of which skill lines and nations to pick. All this so their time in the low tier crap hole is limited and they feed the Pz ICs, Luchs, PzB2s, and T67s for a minimum time possible.

EDIT: Why the hell is it that all the goofballs arguing that low tiers aren't that bad the ones that have thousands upon thousands of games played in those low tiers? Don't want the new players to have a somewhat equal footing, do ya?

Yes, man, it is like, Your Opinion.  It doesn't matter if you use facts, I also used facts, but it's still My Opinion, dig?  Just like the facts you use to form your opinion are facts.  Facts, by themselves, do not reach conclusions like we do, so the Conclusion you make from those facts are your opinion.  See what I mean?

So, your opinion on the matter changes NOTHING about what I said.  I said you COULD do this.  I said it was a matter of just looking around and paying attention to what you're doing.  I said all it takes is a willingness to invest in the time to learn.

Nothing you said changes that, does it?  It was a solid irrefutable fact that I did this sort of learning in the first hour to two hours of my game time the first time I played.

Now, I'll admit, I'm not like most people.  I know, because most people have told me that all my life.  Thus, I look at things a bit differently from the large majority of folks and I get notions that I apply from having this differing perspective.  When it WORKS and works well, I offer those insights to my Fellow Humans and, in this particular case, my Fellow Gamers.  So you can argue and disagree with what I said all you like, but so far, nothing you have said changes what I have said, thus your efforts are in a direction different than disputation from where I stand.

As my examples are just that, examples, that you seem to have a problem with in some manner, then please, tell me what issues there are in my advice or viewpoint that you take issue with -- I mean, other than most folks don't do this sort of thing, which is a, "Thank you, Captain Obvious," sort of thing in this discussion as far as that goes.  My statements were not directed at what most folks DO, they were explicatory information for others that might not know the things I discussed from that perspective.

Even so, your disagreement with them is not clear beyond you object to the idea that others could do this, but your focus is they don't.  Well, derr!  I know they don't.  It's why I pointed out how they ought to at least see that much on their own.  That's not for you or me to object to as an idea, is it?

I ask these things, because I have no idea what your objection to anything in my post might be other than something in it ticks you off somehow.  Maybe you could enlighten us?

OvO

SquishySupreme #157 Posted Jul 09 2019 - 12:57

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 3758 battles

View PostSargeanTravis, on Jul 04 2019 - 17:14, said:

TBH, T4 is way better than T3. Tier 3 stuff ends up with either being top tier with a sucky tier 2 team, or bottom tier to stuff that can one shot you.

T4 is slightly better if you know what you are doing, but the experience for a new player who just got clubbed in T1-T3, it still  is miserably poor.  

T1-T4 is typically about 30-50 games if you are like most players and want to advance quickly.  This is what you do in every other game - grind up fast to get that Light Saber or that 8x Scope on your rifle.  Level 15-20 asap and head for the real missions and weapons.

They have spent 5-8 *hours* on the game and from their perspective they see nothing but seal-clubbing, bad crew skills, looks progressively harder with each level, and acts like a typical PTW game.  Add in toxic stat-padding trolls who rain abuse in chat and the experience is complete.

WoT= a PTW toxic grind-fest in their heads and they leave forever.

They don't even get to T5.  Which is why T5 is "better" - the newbies have all been culled out so stat-padders have no obvious target.  

Edited by SquishySupreme, Jul 09 2019 - 13:01.

Lochmette #158 Posted Jul 27 2019 - 07:15

Private

• -Players-
  • 62 battles

I'm a new player to WOT.

I expect some toxic ignorables since it is PVP.

I welcome advice from decent normal people who are the vast majority of players.

t did not expect the long long long disheartening wait times.

Klink2011 #159 Posted Oct 16 2019 - 16:11

Private

• Players
  • 8009 battles
Had WoT for 7 years but have not played in over 2.  Over in the EU for now and had to created a new account. I don't remember having such a hard time moving up through the lower tiers, but all these players with Premium low Tier tanks and all.....almost makes me not want to play anymore until I get back to my NA account.

da_Rock002 #160 Posted Oct 16 2019 - 22:17

Major

• -Players-
  • 9833 battles

View PostLochmette, on Jul 27 2019 - 01:15, said:

I'm a new player to WOT.

I expect some toxic ignorables since it is PVP.

I welcome advice from decent normal people who are the vast majority of players.

t did not expect the long long long disheartening wait times.

Wait times in the lower tiers?

You should try out the SA server as it was modified to provide battles in the lower tiers for the fewer newbies who play WoT nowadays.    The lower tier battles are filled out with BOTs when the player counts are running weak.   The BOTs are there to give the humans practice they would not otherwise have available to them.   And of course, the other team will also have as many humans as the allies have.

Also tagged with new, player, experience

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users