WGC is not working abroad.

11 replies to this topic

NoTradeNoKill #1 Posted Jul 09 2019 - 10:47

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 10054 battles
  • [LYB] LYB
I'm now in China and WGC is not working at all. I can find no way to use it except connecting VPN first but VPN makes WOT NA impossible to be played due to its high ping. Last year everything worked just fine. What has happened..

cKy_ #2 Posted Jul 09 2019 - 11:32

Major

• -Players-
  • 3392 battles
  • [PUBBY] PUBBY
Isn't the internet like, censored in China or something

NoTradeNoKill #3 Posted Jul 09 2019 - 13:08

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 10054 battles
  • [LYB] LYB

View PostcKy_, on Jul 09 2019 - 11:32, said:

Isn't the internet like, censored in China or something

Not everything gets blocked in China previously, but for now, honestly I don't know.

The_Illusive_Man #4 Posted Jul 09 2019 - 14:56

Major

• -Players-
  • 13312 battles
The fact that China has cracked down on VPN's? Your lucky to get access to any outside sites...

GeorgePreddy #5 Posted Jul 09 2019 - 17:43

Major

• Players
  • 14680 battles

A few years ago, I did 72 hour crew layovers in Shanghai 3 times per month for a year.

At that time, internet censorship was pretty strong. I couldn't d/l a VPN while inside China, so a d/l prior to arriving in Shanghai was totally necessary.

I'm not surprised that having a VPN pre-loaded is required now, or that they may be combating the use of a VPN now.

The government has embraced capitalism to some extent, but personal freedoms there are still grossly abridged.

For instance, we could rent a car, but when we tried to drive out into the countryside, we were stopped at a roadblock/checkpoint and asked for our permission papers to go further. Of course, we didn't have any and had to go back into the city (and Shanghai is one of the most liberal places in China). Sad stuff.

NoTradeNoKill #6 Posted Jul 10 2019 - 06:05

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 10054 battles
  • [LYB] LYB

View PostGeorgePreddy, on Jul 09 2019 - 17:43, said:

A few years ago, I did 72 hour crew layovers in Shanghai 3 times per month for a year.

At that time, internet censorship was pretty strong. I couldn't d/l a VPN while inside China, so a d/l prior to arriving in Shanghai was totally necessary.

I'm not surprised that having a VPN pre-loaded is required now, or that they may be combating the use of a VPN now.

The government has embraced capitalism to some extent, but personal freedoms there are still grossly abridged.

For instance, we could rent a car, but when we tried to drive out into the countryside, we were stopped at a roadblock/checkpoint and asked for our permission papers to go further. Of course, we didn't have any and had to go back into the city (and Shanghai is one of the most liberal places in China). Sad stuff.

I would like to explain several things here.

It is easier to find a VPN a few years ago than now. People in China sometimes use other words instead of "VPN" because the word is censored and it is illegal to sell VPN online (not to use VPN, it is like when you can download something but you can't upload it for money).  

I think the roadblock you mentioned is actually the toll station. All highways in China are toll highways because the government needs money to build more infrastructures and you will run into them very often when you travel form a city to another. To be frank, I have never heard a permission paper before and I've seen foreigners travel around all the time. I guess that might be the problem with your visa?

GeorgePreddy #7 Posted Jul 10 2019 - 15:30

Major

• Players
  • 14680 battles

View PostNoTradeNoKill, on Jul 10 2019 - 02:05, said:

I would like to explain several things here.

It is easier to find a VPN a few years ago than now. People in China sometimes use other words instead of "VPN" because the word is censored and it is illegal to sell VPN online (not to use VPN, it is like when you can download something but you can't upload it for money).  

I think the roadblock you mentioned is actually the toll station. All highways in China are toll highways because the government needs money to build more infrastructures and you will run into them very often when you travel form a city to another. To be frank, I have never heard a permission paper before and I've seen foreigners travel around all the time. I guess that might be the problem with your visa?

The time frame was 2007... the airline company obtained tourist visas for the crew members as they were much easier to get than work visas and we were not working in China really, just laying over in the Pudong Sheraton.

Maybe we should have taken a local with us on our attempted road trip, my Shanghainese was not very good, but I remember the official at the "checkpoint" made it pretty clear that we could not continue.

When we told our local contacts what happened, they said we needed "permission papers" to travel outside Shanghai and that locals from the countryside needed permission to travel into Shanghai... all I really know is what they told us.

Once I had a VPN d/l while outside China, it worked fine when inside China.

The Chinese people we met in Shanghai were great and I enjoyed my Shanghai layovers more than anywhere else we spent time (Paris, Milan, Dubai) except maybe Las Vegas, but Vegas was only a 24 hour layover and Shanghai was 72 hours :).

NoTradeNoKill #8 Posted Jul 11 2019 - 10:29

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 10054 battles
  • [LYB] LYB

View PostGeorgePreddy, on Jul 10 2019 - 15:30, said:

The time frame was 2007... the airline company obtained tourist visas for the crew members as they were much easier to get than work visas and we were not working in China really, just laying over in the Pudong Sheraton.

Maybe we should have taken a local with us on our attempted road trip, my Shanghainese was not very good, but I remember the official at the "checkpoint" made it pretty clear that we could not continue.

When we told our local contacts what happened, they said we needed "permission papers" to travel outside Shanghai and that locals from the countryside needed permission to travel into Shanghai... all I really know is what they told us.

Once I had a VPN d/l while outside China, it worked fine when inside China.

The Chinese people we met in Shanghai were great and I enjoyed my Shanghai layovers more than anywhere else we spent time (Paris, Milan, Dubai) except maybe Las Vegas, but Vegas was only a 24 hour layover and Shanghai was 72 hours :).

As far as I can remember, the only time when people need a "permission paper" to enter Shanghai was during the 2010 Shanghai EXPO. That was for security reason because terrorist attacks(mainly caused by  Uygurs) were rampant around the whole country during that period and we didn't want them to disturb World EXPO. 

Anyway, I'm glad you like it.

GeorgePreddy #9 Posted Jul 12 2019 - 03:30

Major

• Players
  • 14680 battles

View PostNoTradeNoKill, on Jul 11 2019 - 06:29, said:

As far as I can remember, the only time when people need a "permission paper" to enter Shanghai was during the 2010 Shanghai EXPO. That was for security reason because terrorist attacks(mainly caused by  Uygurs) were rampant around the whole country during that period and we didn't want them to disturb World EXPO. 

Anyway, I'm glad you like it.

I'm pretty sure my memory is reasonably accurate about the situation, but it is entirely possible that we got bad info from some of the Chinese folk and/or the language barrier screwed us over.

tod914 #10 Posted Jul 13 2019 - 18:09

Major

• Players
  • 63890 battles

Sounds like your travel plans were Shanghaied George. 

Spoiler

heavymetal1967 #11 Posted Jul 13 2019 - 18:38

Major

• Players
  • 70783 battles
  • [HSOLO] HSOLO

George maybe you needed a [redacted] of dimes.

Since I can't quote or post Blazing Saddles, here's a song. 

Spoiler

GeorgePreddy #12 Posted Jul 13 2019 - 21:48

Major

• Players
  • 14680 battles

Reply to this topic

For security reasons, please do not provide your personal data or the personal data of a third party here because we might be unable to protect such data in accordance with the Wargaming Privacy Policy.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users