friendly fire tk td team damage 1.6 update update 1.6

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

DomoSapien #1 Posted Jul 10 2019 - 19:14

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 14698 battles
  • [WGA] WGA

Tankers, that time is nearly here: we're getting ready to disable team damage in Random Battles. For the details, check out the video below.

If the embedded video doesn't work for you, visiting our article and viewing it there might do the trick.

I've sent the team a few questions as a follow-up to the video. In case you're wondering, here's what I asked:

Block Quote

The video seems to imply that SPG's firing at allies and stunning them will eventually result in blue TK status. How does this apply to tanks? 

After discussing with our CS team, our understanding on NA community is as follows:
It is still possible for a non-spg player to receive blue status through the following actions:
  • Damaging or destroying allied vehicles by crushing
  • Drowning allied vehicles via physics abuse

Which leaves me with this question: If a player spends the duration of their battle harmlessly bouncing their shots off of allies - will they eventually receive blue status for the theoretical damage they would have done to their allies if team damage were enabled?

Once we have more information, we'll update the thread with answers.

If you've got any other lingering questions or concerns please feel free to leave them below.

So I've received some additional information that I'd like to share:

All the remaining conditions for blue status will apply, other than team damage since that will no longer be a factor. It will still be possible to turn blue via stuns, overturning allies resulting in their subsequent destruction, drowning allies, pushing allies off of cliffs resulting in their damage or destruction, and crushing allies.

If you choose to drive around in a normal vehicle and harmlessly plink off of your allies, in theory you should not turn blue. However, doing so is considered passive play and may result in sanctions if reported via battle replay.

As I anticipated this topic has generated a substantial amount of feedback, which will be compiled and forwarded to the dev team.

Edited by DomoSapien, Jul 11 2019 - 22:24.

heavymetal1967 #2 Posted Jul 10 2019 - 19:18

Major

• Players
  • 71494 battles
  • [HSOLO] HSOLO

One obvious question is what about arty stunning allies.   DIsabled or if not then tickets taken?  By that I mean would it be a punishable offense.  Otherwise some folks will just shoot into the flock with impunity.

And along with your ally trolling by perma-bouncing.  Again tickets taken?

CynicalDutchie #3 Posted Jul 10 2019 - 19:29

Major

• Players
  • 43001 battles
  • [CYNIC] CYNIC

Friendly stun damage should be disabled. The griefing is bad enough as it is, it will only get worse if they remove our ability to retaliate. Arty still being able to turn blue from stunning only? They never turn blue now, WG allows arty to do as much team damage as possible.

I got 1k team damage the other day in the GW panther. Did I turn blue? Did the system correctly punish me and give me the standard 1 hour ban? Nope, none of it but meanwhile if I fire 2-3 shots into the back of a friendly with any other tank I'll turn blue and get banned and rightfully so might I add.

So how much does an arty [edited]have to stun before turning blue? Never seen one turn blue and get punished for prosperously shooting allies with the current system, take away the damage but keep the stun and how much battles will it take before the automated system decided to kick in? 10? 20? Or never like it is currently.

Either keep friendly fire on or remove it completely, stun included. This whole line about making arty players think is complete BS. They don't think now before shooting and they never will because they either don't care or are too ignorant to know what's going on. Knowing the average arty player, most likely a combination of both.

MagillaGuerilla #4 Posted Jul 10 2019 - 19:36

Major

• -Players-
  • 25825 battles
Arty ruins the game, but they like it that way apparently. Those arty players in Russia must pay them mega rubles.

Buttknuckle #5 Posted Jul 10 2019 - 19:38

Major

• Players
  • 50831 battles
  • [-RECK] -RECK

Don't like it. Any change that decreases the need for situational awareness simply dumbs down the game.

Shoot blindly into the brawling mass 300 m away - Why not?

Pull in front of the gun on an auto loader dumping his clip so you can get your shoot in - Why not?

Drive haphazardly across the field of fire between your team mates and the enemy - Why not?

Also I like how this is another thing where you have to treat arty differently. You guys really need to make a decision on arty already. Either remove it entirely and piss off half the player base; or start treating it fairly to other classes and piss off the other half of the player base. Treating it like the unwanted stepchild with all these class specific half-measures isn't making anyone happy.

Edited by Buttknuckle, Jul 10 2019 - 19:39.

tod914 #6 Posted Jul 10 2019 - 19:40

Major

• Players
  • 64242 battles

Arty is typically the biggest offender like the other mentioned.  That should be top priority.  I have yet to see an arty player turning blue from hitting teammates.  With that said, I'm the one that typically turns blue from righting arty's wrong ;)

CynicalDutchie #7 Posted Jul 10 2019 - 19:45

Major

• Players
  • 43001 battles
  • [CYNIC] CYNIC

View Posttod914, on Jul 10 2019 - 19:40, said:

Arty is typically the biggest offender like the other mentioned.  That should be top priority.  I have yet to see an arty player turning blue from hitting teammates.  With that said, I'm the one that typically turns blue from righting arty's wrong ;)

Kesslan #8 Posted Jul 10 2019 - 19:47

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 12885 battles

I'm kind of iffy about the team damage things as it is, I've twice been penalized in the past for actions entirely the fault of other players. Once in the last round of Frontline when I was stopped on a bridge, another friendly came jetting along in a fast medium, hit my tank and launched themselves up onto the edge of the bridge and then fell into the water and drowned. Even though I was entirely stationary, I got pinned with having killed them.

Another, older situation was when a friendly player pushed my tank up onto a hillside and kept grinding against my tank as I was trying to retreat which resulted in them taking crushing damage that, again, penalized me and not them.

So the whole system is honestly kind of flawed. Most of the time though it seems legitimate at least, accidentally shooting someone that runs across into your lane of fire etc. The proposed changes would at least prevent one from getting dinged with team damage when people do this deliberately to try and block your shot and get the killing blow (Which I've had happen to me on occasion). Most of the time it's entirely by accident, though by the same token, there's a lot of players that just plain don't care if they hit a friendly player and do so fairly frequently (As often evidenced by their extremely low count of battle buddy awards).

I think the change with HE shells going through friendly barrels etc is fine though given the reasoning used, though it's not something I've ever personally witnessed I could see it happening even by mistake. That said, the only time I've seen deliberate shooting of team mates by other players, is from players who are just toxic to begin with, or are deliberately careless of hitting their team members in order to take shots on enemy targets. So I don't see, generally speaking, ramming or shooting damage to friendlies, the way it is right now, as a huge issue.

LeaveIT2Beaver #9 Posted Jul 10 2019 - 19:54

Major

• -Players-
  • 37177 battles
  • [J4F] J4F

View Postheavymetal1967, on Jul 10 2019 - 13:18, said:

One obvious question is what about arty stunning allies.   DIsabled or if not then tickets taken?  By that I mean would it be a punishable offense.  Otherwise some folks will just shoot into the flock with impunity.

And along with your ally trolling by perma-bouncing.  Again tickets taken?

:trollface: u da man

_Tsavo_ #10 Posted Jul 10 2019 - 19:59

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 45397 battles
  • [BRVE] BRVE

Removal of team damage, that's excellent.

However, far more pressing concerns: I WANT THAT RED DIGI CAMO IN YOUR SIG.  GIVE IT TO MEEEEEE

heavymetal1967 #11 Posted Jul 10 2019 - 20:04

Major

• Players
  • 71494 battles
  • [HSOLO] HSOLO

View Posttod914, on Jul 10 2019 - 14:40, said:

Spoiler

Mojo_Riesing #12 Posted Jul 10 2019 - 20:05

Captain

• Players
  • 19860 battles
  • [ACATS] ACATS

This is a good thing overall.  Like anything else in WoTT it may need and may even receive additional "tuning" down the road.  It prevents accidental damage and should help to reduce 1) toxicity and 2) WG having to constantly deal with aggrieved players.

Some won't like it of course and we'll read some of that there but i suspect the majority of the player base will welcome this.

Mydragonsfly #13 Posted Jul 10 2019 - 20:06

Major

• Players
  • 8392 battles

What are the current playerbase numbers like in-game?

It's been a while since I logged in and really played meaningfully (for me that's 30 battles a day). Only here because I saw this pop up in discord and thought I'd check things out.

For me though I think this change is too far removed now for me to play as I used to a few years back. It smells like they're becoming desperate and are actually bringing in changes that should have been in place before the 6.x patch when I first started.

I'm tempted to draw some real-life parallels to American politics but IIRC that's against the rules.

gunz222 #14 Posted Jul 10 2019 - 20:11

Corporal

• Players
  • 30602 battles

Not sure I'm a huge fan of this, but testing will reveal how it plays out. Currently, the need to be careful with your shots and your movements around teammates adds the need to have at least a little situational awareness. Additionally, I would think that this would actually increase griefing via teammates blocking shots/pushing people on purpose without punishment. 

-gunz 

Natanifloof #15 Posted Jul 10 2019 - 20:11

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 4912 battles
  • [FURST] FURST

What worries me is the indirect effect this will have on artillery gameplay. With removed chance of damaging teammates, only stun, you can take shots you never would have before. It might be better to have something like, say, artillery do 1/2 damage to allies. Completely removing team damage from artillery will be essentially a buff to the class.

Edit: I didn't mention it here, but I meant specifically for this affecting splash damage. A direct hit on an ally should remain fully blocked, as allowing arty to be the only ones to just shoot and damage a teammate would be bad

Edited by Natanifloof, Jul 10 2019 - 20:23.

Tombs_ #16 Posted Jul 10 2019 - 20:15

Staff sergeant

• Community Contributor
  • 32567 battles
  • [VILIN] VILIN
Thank you WG!

bilzbobaggins #17 Posted Jul 10 2019 - 20:29

Captain

• Players
  • 47777 battles
  • [-SSS-] -SSS-
And we divide by the lowest common denominator again.

Desert_Fox_1969 #18 Posted Jul 10 2019 - 20:42

Captain

• -Players-
  • 35072 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY
I suggest removing the teamdamage but keep the 'counter' for friendly fired shoots and still ban people who shoot friendlies on purpose.

Saint_Metagross #19 Posted Jul 10 2019 - 20:51

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 26650 battles
  • [0CLAN] 0CLAN

View PostKesslan, on Jul 10 2019 - 10:47, said:

I'm kind of iffy about the team damage things as it is, I've twice been penalized in the past for actions entirely the fault of other players. Once in the last round of Frontline when I was stopped on a bridge, another friendly came jetting along in a fast medium, hit my tank and launched themselves up onto the edge of the bridge and then fell into the water and drowned. Even though I was entirely stationary, I got pinned with having killed them.

Another, older situation was when a friendly player pushed my tank up onto a hillside and kept grinding against my tank as I was trying to retreat which resulted in them taking crushing damage that, again, penalized me and not them.

So the whole system is honestly kind of flawed. Most of the time though it seems legitimate at least, accidentally shooting someone that runs across into your lane of fire etc. The proposed changes would at least prevent one from getting dinged with team damage when people do this deliberately to try and block your shot and get the killing blow (Which I've had happen to me on occasion). Most of the time it's entirely by accident, though by the same token, there's a lot of players that just plain don't care if they hit a friendly player and do so fairly frequently (As often evidenced by their extremely low count of battle buddy awards).

I think the change with HE shells going through friendly barrels etc is fine though given the reasoning used, though it's not something I've ever personally witnessed I could see it happening even by mistake. That said, the only time I've seen deliberate shooting of team mates by other players, is from players who are just toxic to begin with, or are deliberately careless of hitting their team members in order to take shots on enemy targets. So I don't see, generally speaking, ramming or shooting damage to friendlies, the way it is right now, as a huge issue.

Unfortunately, I see team damage almost every game.  So, you might be lucky to not see that much damage going out.  Typically, it is just ramming damage, and to be fair, they can get rid of that altogether.  As for shooting people, I've often wondered if they could make it so the system would recognize the fact that you were aiming at an enemy when you go to pull the trigger and an ally "intercepts" your shell on accident.  If they could make the system recognize that, they wouldn't need to remove the system, as it would be able to just ignore those types of shots.  But, would be simpler to just disable team damage in general.

I've also seen only one case of arty taking damage or even being destroyed by their own HE shell because of someone blocking their shot with their own gun.  I was the arty, the other person...was the other arty on my team.  I did not notice that he had parked next to me, nor do I think he noticed what he was doing.  I fired, and suddenly, I was dead, and so was he.  When we looked at our corpses, we were both like "What the hell happened?"  I suggested that perhaps he barrel blocked my shell and he said, that might have been the case.  Otherwise, all I can say, is that this case would be rare and typically done by really salty trolls.

This part is for others that might not realize this.  From my understanding from the video, if allies continue to shot other allies despite the fact there is no team damage, they can turn blue, regardless if they do damage or not.  And once they turn blue, they can be damaged by allies.  So, in truth, there is incentive to not shot allies still.  So, it is not really a case of "shot at will even into a brawl where you have a high chance of hitting an ally."  Rather, it's a "shot if you can, but, don't be to alarmed if you hit an ally, unless you do it to often, in which case, you will turn blue."

As for arty, I've been a long time fan of artillery, but, the way they are implemented here in the game, makes no sense to me. 

My favorite idea for arty is as follows: what they could do, is make arty into a consumable item that can take up one of your three item slots.  Though, there is a few rules to follow.  One, you have to research arty as normal, including engine, suspension, radio, and guns, as normal.  If you have an arty unlocked, you can equip the arty as an item to your tank.  Arty will at this point, work more like the item in front lines does.  Including a 2 to 5 minute CD (the item starts on CD at the beginning of the battle).  This way, there can still be artillery, just, they are limited.

And for those that whine about arty...I hope to god you never get involved in a war, you'd be whining non-stop.

__WarChild__ #20 Posted Jul 10 2019 - 20:53

Major

• -Players-
  • 30689 battles
  • [OPIC] OPIC

I do not see the removal of team damage as a good thing.  Maybe it's just me.  I hope I'm wrong.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users