My T78 Review

T78

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Ikanator #1 Posted Jul 11 2019 - 01:26

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 10450 battles

Initially I wasn't sure that I was going to get this tank. Other reviews had panned it or given it slight praise. But I recently had a birthday. I now officially qualify for the old fart's discount most places. I'm not sure if that's something I should really be happy about. However, I have digressed. I noted that after applying a coupon I could get the most basic bundle for $17.59. So I decided to go for it.

Now, in order to really evaluate the tank one would want to get a statistically significant result. That means you have to have a relatively large sample size. Back in the days when I was taking courses in statistics the arguable minimum sample size was 30. So I am now going to give you all my impressions and results after having played 30 games in the T78. I decided to go ahead and use the crew that came with it, 100% qualified but having 0 skills. After all, if one is going to be using the vehicle as a trainer one would want to know how well it can do with poor crews. So I checked the box for "accelerated crew training", set the Commander to training up 6th Sense and everybody else training up Concealment.

For equipment I decided to go with a GLD instead of a Rammer given some of the comments that Claus Kellerman and other reviewers had made. I then added Binoculars and a Camouflage Net. Consumables were a large repair kit, a large first aid kit and an automatic fire extinguisher. I also applied camo paint to the exterior (free because I had some extra in my garage), my favorite inscriptions for an American tank (also free due to having stuff left over) and then spent 300 gold getting my favorite emblem properly applied to the tank. So when all was said and done I came out 700 gold ahead.

Having gone with a GLD instead of a Rammer I then had to live with a 7.96 second reload time. However, the listed aim time dropped to 1.74 from 1.92, using the tank comparison feature in the game itself. Dispersion is given as 0.36. However, where this tank potentially really shines is in its' turret traverse. It moves its' turret at 20.86 degrees per second. For people used to playing medium tanks that might not sound like much. But compared to other TDs that is impressive. The Wolverine, Jackson, Hellcat and Achilles traverse their turrets at 16.69 degrees per second. It's not until you get to tier VIII and tier IX TDs that you get turret traverse rates that are even close to what the T78 can do, and even they do not exceed it.  The Conway and T-30 have a 19.2 degrees per second turret traverse, and the T28 Prototype does 19.63 degrees per second.

I also like the speed of the vehicle. 55 kph forwards and 14 kph backwards is nice. Helps when you're racing the other TDs on your team to get to the good sniper spots. Also helps if you decide that you need to zip across the map to reinforce the other flank. Down side is that the armor is the finest pressed cardboard, so if you get spotted you're probably going to get wrecked.

Other things to note are that with binoculars activated the tank has a 463 meter view range. Also, just starting out with a camo net but with a crew totally untrained in concealment it has a concealment rating of 565. Finally, given my rather underwhelming overall win rate I would usually expect that out of 30 games I would have 14 victories.

So, after 5 games (3 wins/2 losses) the crew skills were around 33% and the concealment rating was 623.

After 10 games (4 wins/6 losses) the crew skills were around 40% and the concealment rating was 634.

After 15 games (6 wins/9 losses) the crew skills were around 45% and the concealment rating was 642.

After 20 games (9 wins/11 losses) the crew skills were around 54% and the concealment rating was 656.

After 25 games (10 wins/15 losses) the crew skills were around 56% and the concealment rating was 660.

Finally after 30 games (12 wins/18 losses) the crew skills were around 60% and the concealment rating was 666. Last but not least over the course of 30 games I made 465,167 credits. I normally stock up on my consumables well in advance so I am not counting replacement cost for any consumables used as part of that. I am also not counting any credits I'm going to get from selling back stuff I was awarded that I don't need (mainly small versions of the consumables that I run).

Other statistics of note:

Damage ratio: 0.69; Destruction ratio: 0.86; Maximum experience in 1 battle: 1,011; Maximum damage in 1 battle: 1,037; Maximum destroyed in 1 battle: 3.

Medals received:

1 Spotter; 6 Fire for Effect; 4 Reaper; 6 Master Gunner; 13 Sharpshooter; 1 Pascucci's.

Final comments: I was expecting to get 14 victories and got 12. While that wasn't as good as I would have liked it to be, that's actually not a statistically significant difference. I would have had to have gotten 9 victories or less to do significantly worse from a statistical perspective. So given that my crew was starting totally unskilled and having a Commander who doesn't have the 6th sense perk (which got me killed several times) then I have to say that the T78 isn't a bad tank. If one were to get a 3 skill or 4 skill crew in there and liked the play style they could potentially do well in this tank. That relatively rapid turret traverse coupled with a gunner who has the snap shot skill and a crew that has BIA could really help deal with those pesky clown cars.

So, in conclusion, it's a keeper. I expect that as I get the crew trained up my win rate with the tank will improve to at least my overall average, if not better. Other people's mileage will vary. Hopefully other people will find this information useful to them.

Edited by Ikanator, Jul 11 2019 - 01:33.

NightmareMk9 #2 Posted Jul 11 2019 - 01:39

Major

• Players
  • 34637 battles
  • [ZOUTH] ZOUTH
Did you seriously play this tank with the 100% crew it came with???  You don't have ANY other USA TD crews???

nrnstraswa #3 Posted Jul 11 2019 - 01:42

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 16112 battles
  • [AJ] AJ
Thank you for the review, I'm on the fence for this TD. It does look like a fun TD to play, but I just wish its crew layout matched the Hellcat line better. 

cavalry11 #4 Posted Jul 11 2019 - 03:44

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 48579 battles
  • [11BAT] 11BAT
It is a very good tier 6 TD just want to know why pen is different than m-18 and Jackson same gun?

ArmorStorm #5 Posted Jul 11 2019 - 04:45

Major

• Players
  • 36757 battles
  • [F__R] F__R

View Postcavalry11, on Jul 10 2019 - 20:44, said:

It is a very good tier 6 TD just want to know why pen is different than m-18 and Jackson same gun?

I thought I had this solved because it DOESN’T actually have the same gun, it has the 90mm tank gun NOT the AT gun from the other TDs.  Ah-ha!  But no, the M6 and T20 have that gun and better pen so...

Ikanator #6 Posted Jul 11 2019 - 07:26

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 10450 battles

View PostNightmareMk9, on Jul 10 2019 - 16:39, said:

Did you seriously play this tank with the 100% crew it came with???  You don't have ANY other USA TD crews???

The answer to your first question is "yes". While I have a bunch of other American TD crews I decided not to use them for this review. Given that one of the uses for this tank is as a trainer I wanted to see how well it would work with a green crew.

Note that tier VI is the highest tier I would try to start a 0 skill crew on. Previous experience has shown that trying to do that at higher tiers is a recipe for a blood bath. In the situation under discussion it didn't work out too badly, thus I feel the tank is ok if you're willing to play an eggshell hide and snipe TD. 

Edited by Ikanator, Jul 11 2019 - 13:31.

QuicksilverJPR #7 Posted Jul 12 2019 - 14:46

Major

• Players
  • 27692 battles
  • [RPG] RPG

View PostIkanator, on Jul 11 2019 - 01:26, said:

The answer to your first question is "yes". While I have a bunch of other American TD crews I decided not to use them for this review. Given that one of the uses for this tank is as a trainer I wanted to see how well it would work with a green crew.

Note that tier VI is the highest tier I would try to start a 0 skill crew on. Previous experience has shown that trying to do that at higher tiers is a recipe for a blood bath. In the situation under discussion it didn't work out too badly, thus I feel the tank is ok if you're willing to play an eggshell hide and snipe TD. 

The problem with your theory is that you've got a crew trained for the T78 in your case, which you would then have to retrain for the primary vehicle eventually.  This basically negates a lot of work that you put into the T78 crew (unless you're paying gold to retrain them)...

Take the crew out of the American TD you want to train up and play them in both the vehicle they are primarily trained for, as well as the T78.  Double the x2/x3/x4/x5 bonuses, much faster to train up...

oldewolfe #8 Posted Jul 12 2019 - 23:32

Major

• -Players-
  • 22343 battles
  • [1STBN] 1STBN

Actually, what he did gives a fine Example of how it Trains because Regardless of where the Crew Originates, at some Point they need Trained to a Vehicle....       

If for some Reason you don't have any TD's and want to Start a Crew before Starting the Grind, this is a Perfect Example of how it does.....       I've done this a Few Times now, buy a Tank to start a Crew and get them to atleast their 3rd Skills before Starting a Line....      The choice then is Start at Tier 1 or Higher Up if you have the XP for it....    I started the French Lights at the AMX 12T, wasn't gonna Grind thru the Basement Tiers, I just didn't have a Crew for it back then....     

But it IS how I Trained my Russian Heavy Crew for the IS3 before I got the Tank, I got the IS2B for the Crew and the 252U so I could get a Feel for Tier 10 Battles....      IS6 would've worked too, but it doesn't see Tier 10 and the IS3 and 252 did, so it would've been Worthless to me in the long run...

The T78 is a Pretty OK Tank so far....     I miss my Hellcat, but since 9.8 it has never been the Same so I Sold it Back to WG....    It's Crew is now in the T28 Proto and that's a Far Better TD than the Hellcat was, even back in the Day.....

Ikanator #9 Posted Jul 13 2019 - 04:37

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 10450 battles

View PostQuicksilverJPR, on Jul 12 2019 - 05:46, said:

The problem with your theory is that you've got a crew trained for the T78 in your case, which you would then have to retrain for the primary vehicle eventually.  This basically negates a lot of work that you put into the T78 crew (unless you're paying gold to retrain them)...

Take the crew out of the American TD you want to train up and play them in both the vehicle they are primarily trained for, as well as the T78.  Double the x2/x3/x4/x5 bonuses, much faster to train up...

The thing is that you're assuming I want to go up the T28, T95, T110 E3 line. If I understand correctly those tanks have the same crew configuration the T78 does. I am running and have a crew for the T25 AT, but they're doing fine where they are. Besides they're not a 0 skill crew. I wanted to use a 0 skill crew to see how well the T78 worked as a trainer. The easiest way to do that was simply to use the one that came with the T78.

Also tagged with T78

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users