Suggestion to Change Friendly Fire to Self-Damage Instead

friendly fire tk teamkilling teamkiller team killer team killing ff

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

DiomedesRS6 #1 Posted Jul 11 2019 - 16:46

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 24360 battles

Maybe damage caused to friendly team members can be "reflected" back to the one who caused the damage?

For example, Tiger I is aiming between buildings in Sniper Mode.  Just as he presses the trigger to hit the TS-5 that is entering his line of sight, a friendly AMX 13 75 zips in front of him, causing Tiger I to cause Friendly Fire to the zippy little guy.  But instead of causing 220 damage to the AMX, Tiger I takes the damage instead.

Pros

• Accidental shots of the "man, you cut me off at the last minute" sort will still encourage fire safety during "corner scrum" peek-a-boom sessions
  • Arty fire into groups of enemies + friendlies (e.g., facehugging) will be hazardous to the shooter, encouraging fire safety
  • Careless shots (like the ones that guys take at the beginning of the match, accidentally hitting allies in the rear) will only punish the careless shooter

Cons

• May encourage trolls to cross your line of fire, in the hope that you *will* hit them
  • Will actually exacerbate "blocking you just because I'm a jerk" situations, since you have absolutely no recourse.  But even today, do you have any reasonable recourse when a friendly M4A3E2 decides to block your Matilda just because he wants to annoy you?

Perhaps this is a Friendly Fire system you have already considered and rejected.  If so, then thanks for taking the time to read this post.  I know there is no simple solution to keeping a game fun where trolling and toxicity rear their ugly heads, and I appreciate that you're working hard to keep this MMO accessible and fun.

LeaveIT2Beaver #2 Posted Jul 11 2019 - 16:48

Major

• -Players-
  • 37341 battles
  • [J4F] J4F
:facepalm:

VooDooKobra #3 Posted Jul 11 2019 - 18:19

Major

• Players
  • 9906 battles
  • [MOVE] MOVE

View PostDiomedesRS6, on Jul 11 2019 - 08:46, said:

Maybe damage caused to friendly team members can be "reflected" back to the one who caused the damage?

For example, Tiger I is aiming between buildings in Sniper Mode.  Just as he presses the trigger to hit the TS-5 that is entering his line of sight, a friendly AMX 13 75 zips in front of him, causing Tiger I to cause Friendly Fire to the zippy little guy.  But instead of causing 220 damage to the AMX, Tiger I takes the damage instead.

Pros

• Accidental shots of the "man, you cut me off at the last minute" sort will still encourage fire safety during "corner scrum" peek-a-boom sessions
  • Arty fire into groups of enemies + friendlies (e.g., facehugging) will be hazardous to the shooter, encouraging fire safety
  • Careless shots (like the ones that guys take at the beginning of the match, accidentally hitting allies in the rear) will only punish the careless shooter

Cons

• May encourage trolls to cross your line of fire, in the hope that you *will* hit them
  • Will actually exacerbate "blocking you just because I'm a jerk" situations, since you have absolutely no recourse.  But even today, do you have any reasonable recourse when a friendly M4A3E2 decides to block your Matilda just because he wants to annoy you?

Perhaps this is a Friendly Fire system you have already considered and rejected.  If so, then thanks for taking the time to read this post.  I know there is no simple solution to keeping a game fun where trolling and toxicity rear their ugly heads, and I appreciate that you're working hard to keep this MMO accessible and fun.

i think the cons are big enough to where removal was the better choice between the two

Darkbee2Bee #4 Posted Jul 11 2019 - 18:54

Major

• Players
  • 36100 battles
  • [-FG-] -FG-
I'm almost certain this would energize the trolls.  Expect to see tanks parking in front of a gun near you, soon!

J3FF3RY #5 Posted Jul 23 2019 - 07:16

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 14957 battles
  • [NXGEN] NXGEN
how do you downvote a post?

leeuniverse #6 Posted Jul 23 2019 - 09:17

Major

• Players
  • 38646 battles
  • [LAMP] LAMP
Nah...  Really guys, you won't miss friendly fire.

ket101 #7 Posted Jul 23 2019 - 09:47

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 18441 battles
  • [N-O-M] N-O-M
OP, it's been suggested, and many more times than once.  It's not a great solution if you have a KV-2 with the derp firing HE, you penalise yourself completely with one shot.  Damage isn't consistent among different tanks, which also have different, but limited health pools.  It would be easy for someone with a T-34 with the 57 getting away with shots that an M4 with the 105 wouldn't dare try if damage was reflected.  And it doesn't help new players, who may suddenly find themselves with a dead tank without taking any hits from the other team.  They'd just think it was a stupid game that didn't make sense, and give up.  And I'm sure I could come up with a few other reasons, particularly griefing.

Copacetic #8 Posted Jul 23 2019 - 15:09

Captain

• -Players-
  • 46674 battles
  • [ZEUS] ZEUS
Friendly version of thorns ahaha

BadCorps #9 Posted Jul 29 2019 - 06:14

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 12027 battles

With the amount of RNG in the game. No. No. No. No.

Let's take some examples of how that would definitely f*** the shooter over.

You're in a T95 with the 155 and an HE ready to launch at an enemy HT's rear. The target is a bit distant (we'll say 500m) and your shell will take some time to get there. You fire. An allied player (who either did not notice you there or see you fire) drives behind said HT before your shell can send the HT back to the garage. Neither you nor the ally willingly attempted to attack each other.

You are an artillery, we'll say a M53/55 for this example, you have a clear shot on an enemy. An ally that is engaging said enemy is doing "peekaboo" with the enemy from close by cover. You fire and RNG is displeased with you for whatever reason. Your ally pulls out to take another shot and your shell lands either on/close to them.

Compare the penalties:

1.6 (the soon to be released system): Neither player takes any damage and you can say "sorry" in the chat

Your idea: You take an obscene amount of damage for RNG or a simple miscalculation.

And as you stated, this would undoubtly be abused all the time and should NEVER be incorporated in any shape, way, or form in WoT.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users