Jump to content


Need to know


  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

anonym_1hM4wEZcy2hv #1 Posted Jul 13 2019 - 20:21

    Private

  • -Players-
  • 0 battles
  • 3
  • Member since:
    09-13-2019
So something happens between tier three and four that has been giving me the run around as far as my personal learning progression in the game. I can play tier 3 and after about ten to 12 matches I am able to get pretty good. I start being able to carry my own weight, maybe during some matches I am able to carry not only my own weight, but also I will feel as though I am way obviously carrying others weight too. This is up to tier three. Now when i get to tier four, something is just not clicking. I am not learning something that other people are. I am trying to put my finger on it, but for the life of my tank, I can not figure it out. May some of you, who know what I am trying to describe, tell me flat out what it is I am having a hard time trying to learn. What is in tier four that is not in tier three. Is this something that I need to figure out in tier three battles more or do I just need to grind my knuckles in tier four to learn it. I am mentally challenged, so I am sure this has a lot to do with me not being able to put my finger on it, but i really want to know. 

Cerbium #2 Posted Jul 13 2019 - 20:33

    Captain

  • Players
  • 19391 battles
  • 1,375
  • Member since:
    10-15-2012
low tiers are garbage, not much to learn till at least tier 6

Hellsfog #3 Posted Jul 13 2019 - 20:34

    Major

  • Players
  • 38287 battles
  • 6,873
  • Member since:
    06-22-2011

View PostWarcraft_alt, on Jul 13 2019 - 14:21, said:

So something happens between tier three and four that has been giving me the run around as far as my personal learning progression in the game. I can play tier 3 and after about ten to 12 matches I am able to get pretty good. I start being able to carry my own weight, maybe during some matches I am able to carry not only my own weight, but also I will feel as though I am way obviously carrying others weight too. This is up to tier three. Now when i get to tier four, something is just not clicking. I am not learning something that other people are. I am trying to put my finger on it, but for the life of my tank, I can not figure it out. May some of you, who know what I am trying to describe, tell me flat out what it is I am having a hard time trying to learn. What is in tier four that is not in tier three. Is this something that I need to figure out in tier three battles more or do I just need to grind my knuckles in tier four to learn it. I am mentally challenged, so I am sure this has a lot to do with me not being able to put my finger on it, but i really want to know. 

 First, depending on what class of tank you're playing, you've left the sheltered MM of tier 3. Except for tier 4 heavies, all tier 4 tanks get +2/-1 MM, which means they can see tier 6 but only down to tier 3.  Also at tier 4 almost all of the game mechanics are in full use: camo/view range, ammo types, consumables and equipment. You are probably experiencing a combination of these things and playing against generally more experienced players.

To be specific, replays of some tier 4 games where you may have struggled and where you thought you did okay/good would be helpful.



Boghie #4 Posted Jul 13 2019 - 20:52

    Captain

  • -Players-
  • 8703 battles
  • 1,176
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT
  • Member since:
    04-10-2016

View PostHellsfog, on Jul 13 2019 - 14:34, said:

 First, depending on what class of tank you're playing, you've left the sheltered MM of tier 3. Except for tier 4 heavies, all tier 4 tanks get +2/-1 MM, which means they can see tier 6 but only down to tier 3.  Also at tier 4 almost all of the game mechanics are in full use: camo/view range, ammo types, consumables and equipment. You are probably experiencing a combination of these things and playing against generally more experienced players.

To be specific, replays of some tier 4 games where you may have struggled and where you thought you did okay/good would be helpful.

 

What he said...

 

As Hellsfog stated you are meeting Tier V and VI vehicles.  Those tiers are used by very good to great players to initiate a line's crew training.  Their tanks are going to have all the modules and the personal preference of equipment.  They are decked out the way these players want.  Additionally, many good/great players enjoy some of the tanks at these tiers.  Lots of these tanks are the real thing.  They fought in WWII.  Anyway, if you meet those folks you are meeting good players with good tanks, good crews, and the proper equipment.

 

Thus, till you get your crews up to speed, your modules researched and bought, and your choice of equipment set you will be out-spotted, outmaneuvered, and out-gunned.

 

Welcome to the big leagues.

 

There really isn't much you can do about it.  Don't worry about wins and losses - let the rest of the team worry about that.  Get three annoying shots of damage and try to spot some of the enemy.  Start focusing on building crew skills at Tier IV.  Crew is gold in this game.  Grow them, feed them, keep them together.  The challenging part of the game is just beginning.  Get through it.  Be patient in Tiers IV - VI.  Complete basic training in Tier IV, your first skill in Tier V, and your second skill in Tier VI.  Also, try to play your tanks at least 100 games - and, if you follow the earlier advice you probably will anyway :-).



anonym_1hM4wEZcy2hv #5 Posted Jul 13 2019 - 21:18

    Private

  • -Players-
  • 0 battles
  • 3
  • Member since:
    09-13-2019

Ok, thank you.

So it sound to me like I just got to bear down and grind out the experience to learn the hard way. I just need to learn from experience then.

 

I am working my way up the Russian heavy line. I am in the T28 medium tier 4 tank. I like it. Its got a nice gun, tank is snappy, I know it has potential. I know it is a good tank. I can feel it.

 

As far as me though, Tier 4 does not feel as forgiving as the earlier tiers. Tier 4 feels like a safety bubble has been removed from my tank where as it felt like in the earlier tiers. The tanks could take a beating or survive easier in earlier tiers. By own nature, I am really having a rough time with over extending my tank too much. I try to hang back to stay alive longer, but I always end up at bottom of dps charts and I feel like I am not contributing. I need to figure out the happy medium so I can survive longer but get some damage in too. I am struggling with this, more internal frustration than tanks frustration though. LOL Hard to explain.  



Hellsfog #6 Posted Jul 13 2019 - 21:27

    Major

  • Players
  • 38287 battles
  • 6,873
  • Member since:
    06-22-2011

View PostWarcraft_alt, on Jul 13 2019 - 15:18, said:

Ok, thank you.

So it sound to me like I just got to bear down and grind out the experience to learn the hard way. I just need to learn from experience then.

 

I am working my way up the Russian heavy line. I am in the T28 medium tier 4 tank. I like it. Its got a nice gun, tank is snappy, I know it has potential. I know it is a good tank. I can feel it.

 

As far as me though, Tier 4 does not feel as forgiving as the earlier tiers. Tier 4 feels like a safety bubble has been removed from my tank where as it felt like in the earlier tiers. The tanks could take a beating or survive easier in earlier tiers. By own nature, I am really having a rough time with over extending my tank too much. I try to hang back to stay alive longer, but I always end up at bottom of dps charts and I feel like I am not contributing. I need to figure out the happy medium so I can survive longer but get some damage in too. I am struggling with this, more internal frustration than tanks frustration though. LOL Hard to explain.  

 You understand it.  You can't simply derp around and hope that the other team's inattention will save you. You need to find a way to contribute and the long you live, the longer you can contribute. This doesn't mean camping the back of the map but finding that happy medium, which you will do with more experience. 



DVK9 #7 Posted Jul 13 2019 - 22:15

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 26148 battles
  • 955
  • [-TX-] -TX-
  • Member since:
    05-15-2013

View PostWarcraft_alt, on Jul 13 2019 - 14:18, said:

 I try to hang back to stay alive longer, but I always end up at bottom of dps charts and I feel like I am not contributing. I need to figure out the happy medium so I can survive longer but get some damage in too. I am struggling with this, more internal frustration than tanks frustration though. LOL Hard to explain.  

Good idea. watch what is happening on the mini and flex where help is needed.

Don't listen to the screams of help just look abd decide. 

Can I help shore up a flank that is falling?

Can I move up the middle and help provide targets for arty and your self.

Don't worry about dmg or about the rest.

learn to play your tank the best you know how.



dunniteowl #8 Posted Jul 14 2019 - 00:42

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 31544 battles
  • 8,394
  • Member since:
    09-01-2014

Hey, while you're figuring all this stuff out, please accept, at absolutely no cost to you

 

Your very own personal copy of

 

 

          The WoT Welcome Package (version 1)

 

In it are contained what I consider the Core Basic Information for knowing what you're doing at ANY tier.  If you are New and/or Struggling to Improve, then this guide is for you.  You can't go wrong with knowing how the game rules work and how they all interrelate to what you're doing while you're madly mashing at the keys and grabbing your mouse with a grip that would make The Hulk proud.

 

I also save you time, because I went through a TON of guides, tutorials, videos, YT Personalities and perused the forums for a long time in my ongoing quest to 'git gud.'  And I can promise you that I only included stuff that was clear, relevant at all times, easily explained and directed at new or struggling players hoping to learn more about the game.

 

I think I have in that guide pretty much the very best within the criteria I pointed out earlier.

 

 

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO



uberdice #9 Posted Jul 14 2019 - 01:30

    Major

  • Players
  • 27240 battles
  • 9,933
  • Member since:
    01-14-2012

View PostWarcraft_alt, on Jul 14 2019 - 06:18, said:

Ok, thank you.

So it sound to me like I just got to bear down and grind out the experience to learn the hard way. I just need to learn from experience then.

 

I am working my way up the Russian heavy line. I am in the T28 medium tier 4 tank. I like it. Its got a nice gun, tank is snappy, I know it has potential. I know it is a good tank. I can feel it.

 

As far as me though, Tier 4 does not feel as forgiving as the earlier tiers. Tier 4 feels like a safety bubble has been removed from my tank where as it felt like in the earlier tiers. The tanks could take a beating or survive easier in earlier tiers. By own nature, I am really having a rough time with over extending my tank too much. I try to hang back to stay alive longer, but I always end up at bottom of dps charts and I feel like I am not contributing. I need to figure out the happy medium so I can survive longer but get some damage in too. I am struggling with this, more internal frustration than tanks frustration though. LOL Hard to explain.  

 

Something to keep in mind is that around this tier is when you start to see differences in play quality have bigger impacts on performance, because tanks start to get better handling characteristics across the board.

 

A tier 3 tank driven by a really bad player isn't going to perform that much more differently than one driven by an average player, but at tier 5, the tank driven by a bad player is going to stick out like a sore thumb.

 

Try to use this as a learning tool. Click around after you die and see if you can tell from the way your teammates are moving which ones are good and which ones aren't, and try to use that knowledge to benefit yourself in future.



anonym_1hM4wEZcy2hv #10 Posted Jul 14 2019 - 03:14

    Private

  • -Players-
  • 0 battles
  • 3
  • Member since:
    09-13-2019
Thank you all for the input. I am loving the T28. I am improving. I am getting better with not over extending my tank now. I find it I let the majority of the team to disperse at the beginning of battles, it allows me to kind of make a plan, which has helped me out. I am in the 300 damage range, with a few 500 damage games. I am figuring out when to just pull back and get back with the group now, where as before I would be fighting it out all alone locked in tunnel vision. It is little by little starting come together for me. 

nattybumppo #11 Posted Jul 15 2019 - 16:02

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 36903 battles
  • 53
  • [V_SOG] V_SOG
  • Member since:
    08-10-2012
Low tiers are not garbage & can be quite fun. If you can handle no-turret tanks, try the Swede tier 4 TD  Sav. M/43 - true, greatly over-powered fun.

Roggg2 #12 Posted Jul 15 2019 - 19:13

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 22183 battles
  • 2,201
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY
  • Member since:
    05-27-2015
I suspect 2 things:  tiers 3 and under are protected from -2 matchmaking.  The second thing is tier 4 is where spotting and vision mechanics start to become relevant.

Trakks #13 Posted Jul 17 2019 - 08:38

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 3801 battles
  • 762
  • Member since:
    11-24-2011

View PostNegative_Torr, on Jul 13 2019 - 19:21, said:

So something happens between tier three and four that has been giving me the run around as far as my personal learning progression in the game. I can play tier 3 and after about ten to 12 matches I am able to get pretty good. I start being able to carry my own weight, maybe during some matches I am able to carry not only my own weight, but also I will feel as though I am way obviously carrying others weight too. This is up to tier three. Now when i get to tier four, something is just not clicking. I am not learning something that other people are. I am trying to put my finger on it, but for the life of my tank, I can not figure it out. May some of you, who know what I am trying to describe, tell me flat out what it is I am having a hard time trying to learn. What is in tier four that is not in tier three. Is this something that I need to figure out in tier three battles more or do I just need to grind my knuckles in tier four to learn it. I am mentally challenged, so I am sure this has a lot to do with me not being able to put my finger on it, but i really want to know. 

Wait until you experience the power jump between tiers 4 and 5. You ain't seen nothing yet. The learning curve changes dramatically when you first jump into tier 5. That's why being low tier at tiers 3 and 4 seems like more of a struggle than it should be. The tier 5 and 6 tanks you will face at those tiers are just so much better than anything you've experienced up to that point. Being bottom tier in a tank with a weak gun and running into your first KV-1 or KV-2 is a scary experience. 






1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users