Is WOT Able to Block Cheat Mods?

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

Siege_Engine #1 Posted Jul 14 2019 - 03:17

Captain

• -Players-
  • 11621 battles

As long as I've played this game, I've never heard anyone on this forum deny that cheat mods are used in the game.  I hear indirect insults like "take off the tin foil" and so on.  Yet, nobody denies that cheat mods are used.  True? 

I've heard that WOT reviews miscellaneous mods and makes decision from time to time.  I've heard that there is debate about what constitutes a "cheat mod".  Is it an aim mod?  Is it a mod that give a player information on the skill of an enemy opponent?  I've heard that some unicum clans use them to pad stats. 

I don't know if any of that is true, or not? 

But, there's been no outright proof that cheat mods aren't blocked in random battles.  No replays showing them being blocked?  Nobody of any credibility saying something like, "All cheat mods are defined as abc and they are always blocked in WOT."  True? 

Copacetic #2 Posted Jul 14 2019 - 03:20

Captain

• -Players-
  • 46491 battles
  • [ZEUS] ZEUS
how do you show a replay of them being blocked?

Siege_Engine #3 Posted Jul 14 2019 - 03:22

Captain

• -Players-
  • 11621 battles

View PostCopacetic, on Jul 14 2019 - 03:20, said:

how do you show a replay of them being blocked?

Well, a video shows the player using a cheat mod, and then shows it being blocked by the WOT engine. I've seen videos of players using cheat mods.  But haven't seen one of any being blocked. 

Edited by Siege_Engine, Jul 14 2019 - 03:23.

I_QQ_4_U #4 Posted Jul 14 2019 - 03:22

Major

• -Players-
  • 22510 battles
They can't block them. I don't understand why so many bad players worry so much about such an inconsequential issue with the game. Yeah they exists, likely few people use them, and they are not going to turn a 45%er into a 65%er.

Siege_Engine #5 Posted Jul 14 2019 - 03:24

Captain

• -Players-
  • 11621 battles

View PostI_QQ_4_U, on Jul 14 2019 - 03:22, said:

They can't block them. I don't understand why so many bad players worry so much about such an inconsequential issue with the game. Yeah they exists, likely few people use them, and they are not going to turn a 45%er into a 65%er.

This is the most intelligent reply that I've ever read.  Seriously.  No sarcasm.  Thanks. 

Christojojo #6 Posted Jul 14 2019 - 03:24

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 34706 battles
  • [CHEAP] CHEAP
Though there are clans that have players banned for alleged cheating  Wargamings convenient policy of not name and shaming prevents everyone from finding out how prevalent or non-prevalent it is. The search for the pathetic tools that help weak-willed and low self-esteemed players seek these cheats out, astounds me. 

Hellsfog #7 Posted Jul 14 2019 - 03:34

Major

• Players
  • 38108 battles
  • [VILIN] VILIN

View PostSiege_Engine, on Jul 13 2019 - 21:17, said:

As long as I've played this game, I've never heard anyone on this forum deny that cheat mods are used in the game.  I hear indirect insults like "take off the tin foil" and so on.  Yet, nobody denies that cheat mods are used.  True? 

I've heard that WOT reviews miscellaneous mods and makes decision from time to time.  I've heard that there is debate about what constitutes a "cheat mod".  Is it an aim mod?  Is it a mod that give a player information on the skill of an enemy opponent?  I've heard that some unicum clans use them to pad stats. 

I don't know if any of that is true, or not? 

But, there's been no outright proof that cheat mods aren't blocked in random battles.  No replays showing them being blocked?  Nobody of any credibility saying something like, "All cheat mods are defined as abc and they are always blocked in WOT."  True? 

I don't know of anyone who has ever said that. What has been stated is the belief that cheats are not rampant and are not game breaking, for the most part. The reason people are told they are full of crapis that they claim every event they can't explain is a cheat. Mostly these are bad players with a poor  understanding of the game.  If they ever provide a replay, which they rarely do, there is often an explanation why it isn't a cheat or a discuss if it is.

Wg does have a portal for officially approved mods. They do review it and mods which were once legal are banned. For example, the turret direction mod was legal for years but with the last patch, WG changed it's mind.  Fortunately, WG gave everyone 1-2 months notice that it was going to be banned so players could remove it and any trace of it from their machines. There is no mod that will help you pad your stats.

How would there be proof of a cheat mod being blocked? Wouldn't the person using the cheat mod need to post a video claiming they tried to cheat but couldn't. Honest players don't bother and cheaters don't self-report. What we do have is proof that WG bans accounts and the number of accounts banned are a very, very small percentage of the player base. 

The_Illusive_Man #8 Posted Jul 14 2019 - 03:42

Major

• -Players-
  • 13326 battles

Ive actually talked with WG alot on this. WG's current position is to simply monitor it. And do ban waves. They can see it happening, and who is doing it. They also activily ban players pretty quickly that use mods that edit curtain files.

HOWEVER. 

I have heard they are looking into blocking the more simple ones. The problem is, is that the bad ones arnt editing files in the game. They are injecting new code. Either in a custom PYC, or with a DLL. And blocking that would mean stopping any form of new good mod from working. And WG doesnt want to do that. And I agree with that. 

The best we can do is make sure WG knows about all illegal mods, by informing them of the source link, so they may block them individually. 

Edited by The_Illusive_Man, Jul 14 2019 - 03:43.

Helpless #9 Posted Jul 14 2019 - 03:53

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 5970 battles

the wg wows devs wrote a detection program that detects warpack and other injected mods... resulting in a much cleaner game.....

wot could use that detection code or a variation of it to detect injected mods in wot..... but they don't.... and i wouldnt hold ur breath waiting....

Siege_Engine #10 Posted Jul 14 2019 - 03:55

Captain

• -Players-
  • 11621 battles

View PostThe_Illusive_Man, on Jul 14 2019 - 03:42, said:

... They can see it happening, and who is doing it. ...

Good enough for me.  Seriously.  No sarcasm.  Glad to hear it. 

heavymetal1967 #11 Posted Jul 14 2019 - 04:37

Major

• Players
  • 71941 battles
  • [HSOLO] HSOLO

Block Quote

If and when WG succeeds at fully closing the client from prohibited mods, they will likely unban a lot of players that were banned for using those mods, even those banned permanently.

http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/601364-devs-reblance-info-mod-blocking-arty-maps-fl-xvm-and-much-more/page__fromsearch__1

nuclearguy931 #12 Posted Jul 14 2019 - 04:44

Major

• Players
  • 81662 battles
  • [UMM] UMM

View PostI_QQ_4_U, on Jul 13 2019 - 21:22, said:

Maybe not, but they'll definitely give the 65%'r a bigger advantage.

I_QQ_4_U #13 Posted Jul 14 2019 - 07:44

Major

• -Players-
  • 22510 battles

View Postnuclearguy931, on Jul 14 2019 - 04:44, said:

They'll give a 45%er one too, likely more of a boost, but there's no cheat mod in this game that's going to make a significant difference in a players performance. Serious cheat mods don't exist in this game, I've played games where 'radar' was rampant, it told you were everyone was and gave information on those characters so you didn't jump a much more powerful player. Then there are speed hacks and teleportation hacks that let you move at extreme speeds or get you into areas you shouldn't be able to. One guy when I played DAOC figured out how to remove all the walls of castles and towers by messing with the code in the client, allowed him to attack people through walls without anyone being able to attack him back, they fixed that by putting that code server side. I've seen games where people can shoot through hard cover, most recently PUBG, which seems/ed to be rife with cheating.

Compared to that WoT basically has 'cheats' that offer you a bit more information or small enhancements to already existing mechanics. Nothing that basically gives them a form of god mode.

biggb45s #14 Posted Jul 14 2019 - 15:18

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 30949 battles
https://youtu.be/PkdgOGzKmQM they don’t they just say they do. 

DODGE_2016 #15 Posted Jul 14 2019 - 16:43

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 28545 battles
  • [VIXEN] VIXEN
they could,,, we do on rfactor,,,, isnt hard,, but then they would lose money by doing so,,, think about it( HINT HINT)

TAR_b #16 Posted Jul 14 2019 - 16:44

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 31747 battles

View Postnuclearguy931, on Jul 13 2019 - 22:44, said:

How?  Please explain what specific cheat mod in this game is going to do this?  

Aimbot?  No. Top players can aim better than any aimbot.

Tree down?  No, Top players know by experience, minimap, tank type, scouting, etc, where the enemy players are.  Just watch any top streamer.  If anything it can give false positives, for instance if something is broken by a shell.  

Foliage removal?  No.  Top players know the maps, the obstructions, and this cheat mod actually will only be detrimental to a top player because it makes it harder to tell if you yourself are properly 15m behind foliage, etc.

Please enlighten us how a cheat mod can help an already good player?

Just one example: Check out LemmingRush explain his thinking during a match:  

nuclearguy931 #17 Posted Jul 14 2019 - 18:26

Major

• Players
  • 81662 battles
  • [UMM] UMM

View PostTAR_b, on Jul 14 2019 - 10:44, said:

Tree down?  No, Top players know by experience, minimap, tank type, scouting, etc, where the enemy players are.  Just watch any top streamer.  If anything it can give false positives, for instance if something is broken by a shell.  

Foliage removal?  No.  Top players know the maps, the obstructions, and this cheat mod actually will only be detrimental to a top player because it makes it harder to tell if you yourself are properly 15m behind foliage, etc.

I wasn't referring to any specific cheat mod.

What I am saying is that a mod that allows a player to enhance their skills in the game is actually more beneficial to a higher skilled player than one who isn't.

Cheat mods by them self will benefit all who use them, but someone who already has a better concept of the game will be able to use them to a greater advantage.

And just for your info, it was a top streamer who got caught using them that really highlighted the issue of their use in the game.

TAR_b #18 Posted Jul 14 2019 - 18:46

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 31747 battles

View Postnuclearguy931, on Jul 14 2019 - 12:26, said:

I wasn't referring to any specific cheat mod.

What I am saying is that a mod that allows a player to enhance their skills in the game is actually more beneficial to a higher skilled player than one who isn't.

Cheat mods by them self will benefit all who use them, but someone who already has a better concept of the game will be able to use them to a greater advantage.

And just for your info, it was a top streamer who got caught using them that really highlighted the issue of their use in the game.

You aren't going to mention anything specific, you just FEEL like in general there are cheat mods that benefit top players?  

Sela, who was on video using a banned mod, quickly removed it after getting in trouble, and his winrate has actually been climbing since then.  

Still looking for something specific.  Hard to argue with your FEELINGS about cheat mods.  

nuclearguy931 #19 Posted Jul 14 2019 - 18:51

Major

• Players
  • 81662 battles
  • [UMM] UMM

View PostTAR_b, on Jul 14 2019 - 12:46, said:

You aren't going to mention anything specific, you just FEEL like in general there are cheat mods that benefit top players?  

Sela, who was on video using a banned mod, quickly removed it after getting in trouble, and his winrate has actually been climbing since then.  

Still looking for something specific.  Hard to argue with your FEELINGS about cheat mods.  

If you're waiting for something specific then you're going to be disappointed. I was speaking in generalities, but if you can't understand that then there really isn't anything to say.

Helpless #20 Posted Jul 14 2019 - 19:07

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 5970 battles

View PostTAR_b, on Jul 14 2019 - 15:44, said:

laser mod..........

if u dont think its game breaking... you havent seen it used right....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users