Jump to content


How to do better in the M103?

M103 Heavy Tanks

  • Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

24_inch_pythons #1 Posted Jul 16 2019 - 01:52

    Major

  • Players
  • 29989 battles
  • 5,701
  • [HSOLO] HSOLO
  • Member since:
    03-28-2012

http://wotreplays.eu/site/4961219#studzianki-24_inch_pythons-m103

 

 I was ecstatic to get an Ace on this battle!

 But I'm curious as to how good heavy players handle a standoff like this. It worked out in the end but it required the enemy to push a little too far and get over exposed. Took a long time too. What would you guys do? 



Trauglodyte #2 Posted Jul 16 2019 - 02:36

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 23712 battles
  • 3,752
  • [GSH] GSH
  • Member since:
    06-04-2016
I can't speak, to the M103.  Too far up the US line, for my tastes.  But, I can tell you that patience is the key, which you showed.  Given the tanks that you were facing and the complete lack of Russian weak spots, you did what you could do.  A much more aggressive player probably would have duped a shot and then pushed into the middle.  But, since your team didn't have the hill on A5/A6, that would have been a tenuous push - the T92 wasn't doing anything (shocker, a 4HIM player not playing well!) and the T28 Prototype was waiting for spots that didn't exist.  I commend your use of HE - you get to a point when, if nobody is showing you anything and you can't risk overextending, throwing Black Cats and Bottle Rockets at tanks is all that you really have, as an option.  In summary, it is my opinion that you did all that you could do, since your team was potato heavy.

24_inch_pythons #3 Posted Jul 16 2019 - 02:44

    Major

  • Players
  • 29989 battles
  • 5,701
  • [HSOLO] HSOLO
  • Member since:
    03-28-2012

View PostTrauglodyte, on Jul 15 2019 - 19:36, said:

I can't speak, to the M103.  Too far up the US line, for my tastes.  But, I can tell you that patience is the key, which you showed.  Given the tanks that you were facing and the complete lack of Russian weak spots, you did what you could do.  A much more aggressive player probably would have duped a shot and then pushed into the middle.  But, since your team didn't have the hill on A5/A6, that would have been a tenuous push - the T92 wasn't doing anything (shocker, a 4HIM player not playing well!) and the T28 Prototype was waiting for spots that didn't exist.  I commend your use of HE - you get to a point when, if nobody is showing you anything and you can't risk overextending, throwing Black Cats and Bottle Rockets at tanks is all that you really have, as an option.  In summary, it is my opinion that you did all that you could do, since your team was potato heavy.


 Thanks Traug!



Trauglodyte #4 Posted Jul 16 2019 - 02:52

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 23712 battles
  • 3,752
  • [GSH] GSH
  • Member since:
    06-04-2016

View Post24_inch_pythons, on Jul 16 2019 - 02:44, said:


 Thanks Traug!

 

Thank you, for the game.  That freaking T92 really made me sad.  Back camping Lights just really grinds my patience.



24_inch_pythons #5 Posted Jul 16 2019 - 02:58

    Major

  • Players
  • 29989 battles
  • 5,701
  • [HSOLO] HSOLO
  • Member since:
    03-28-2012

View PostTrauglodyte, on Jul 15 2019 - 19:52, said:

 

Thank you, for the game.  That freaking T92 really made me sad.  Back camping Lights just really grinds my patience.

 

 I just want to know how they managed to miss the BC-12t...



madogthefirst #6 Posted Jul 16 2019 - 03:00

    Major

  • Players
  • 24626 battles
  • 9,181
  • [GFLC] GFLC
  • Member since:
    12-28-2011
The stand off with the 705? After a minute or so I noticed he isn't firing, still watching replay.

Trauglodyte #7 Posted Jul 16 2019 - 03:04

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 23712 battles
  • 3,752
  • [GSH] GSH
  • Member since:
    06-04-2016

View Postmadogthefirst, on Jul 16 2019 - 03:00, said:

The stand off with the 705? After a minute or so I noticed he isn't firing, still watching replay.

 

705 was firing.  He and Pythons were playing a game of 'who could burn the most dirt'.  I know this game well, since I play German tanks.  Ich bin der Wurmbrenner - koo koo kachoo!!!



spud_tuber #8 Posted Jul 16 2019 - 03:04

    Major

  • Players
  • 59050 battles
  • 8,658
  • Member since:
    08-26-2013
My best advice on how to do better in the 103 is to replace it with an amx M4 51 or conq.  Sorry I couldn't be more help.

24_inch_pythons #9 Posted Jul 16 2019 - 03:05

    Major

  • Players
  • 29989 battles
  • 5,701
  • [HSOLO] HSOLO
  • Member since:
    03-28-2012

View Postmadogthefirst, on Jul 15 2019 - 20:00, said:

The stand off with the 705? After a minute or so I noticed he isn't firing, still watching replay.


indeed, that's what I'm referring to.



madogthefirst #10 Posted Jul 16 2019 - 03:05

    Major

  • Players
  • 24626 battles
  • 9,181
  • [GFLC] GFLC
  • Member since:
    12-28-2011

View PostTrauglodyte, on Jul 15 2019 - 18:04, said:

 

705 was firing.  He and Pythons were playing a game of 'who could burn the most dirt'.  I know this game well, since I play German tanks.  Ich bin der Wurmbrenner - koo koo kachoo!!!

For a while there is looked like he went AFK but then started moving.



madogthefirst #11 Posted Jul 16 2019 - 03:07

    Major

  • Players
  • 24626 battles
  • 9,181
  • [GFLC] GFLC
  • Member since:
    12-28-2011

View Post24_inch_pythons, on Jul 15 2019 - 18:05, said:

indeed, that's what I'm referring to.

Hulldown Soviet either work a different area or wait for him to leave his safe space.



I_QQ_4_U #12 Posted Jul 16 2019 - 04:55

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 22963 battles
  • 7,058
  • Member since:
    10-17-2016
Still getting used to the 103, seems to be bi-polar, one game I block a lot of damage, the next I get penned by everything. Have not had a lot of luck vs. super heavies without gold and HE just murders me. Give me ridge lines and a bit of range and I'm good, close up stuff not so much. The reverse side scrape was boss, can't seem to get a handle on that, always forget to reverse the controls.

madogthefirst #13 Posted Jul 16 2019 - 04:59

    Major

  • Players
  • 24626 battles
  • 9,181
  • [GFLC] GFLC
  • Member since:
    12-28-2011

View PostI_QQ_4_U, on Jul 15 2019 - 19:55, said:

Still getting used to the 103, seems to be bi-polar, one game I block a lot of damage, the next I get penned by everything. Have not had a lot of luck vs. super heavies without gold and HE just murders me. Give me ridge lines and a bit of range and I'm good, close up stuff not so much. The reverse side scrape was boss, can't seem to get a handle on that, always forget to reverse the controls.

Remember you want to use as much of your gun depression as possible that way it helps hide the turret roof.



Warmongergearhead #14 Posted Jul 16 2019 - 05:48

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 22669 battles
  • 419
  • Member since:
    10-14-2012

I had a completely out of character battle in my M103 over the weekend after I decided to dust it off for it's daily bonus. I went valley in Lakeville because most of the team didn't and the hull on the M103 is butter so hull down is good.....and there was NO ARTY. I didn't have the top gun yet either. I killed a Lowe, AMX30, Tiger1, and got a lot of the HP from 3 TD's and a T29 for a total of 6,176 DMG, I couldn't believe it, new all time high damage for me and Ace of course. Probably won't happen ever again lol.

Like QQ4U said it's hot and cold, sometimes I bounce everything and end up a HP piñata for the enemy team and other times it's the other way around...come to think of it most of my games are that way anymore-looking at you RNG.


Edited by Warmongergearhead, Jul 16 2019 - 05:49.


NoTradeNoKill #15 Posted Jul 16 2019 - 06:32

    Corporal

  • -Players-
  • 11112 battles
  • 24
  • [LYB] LYB
  • Member since:
    04-24-2017
Bad armor and good gun, what can I say... I can do far better in M4 51 than in M103 

jsn87xi76slk92mc802d7sk1 #16 Posted Jul 16 2019 - 06:40

    First lieutenant

  • -Players-
  • 3929 battles
  • 758
  • Member since:
    11-30-2017

i havent played that in years. turret can be swiss cheesed. front, top, sides. 

 

hull front is troll tho.  so honestly, just drive into their faces. seems to be rather effective. if 1v1 that is



InfinityGamer #17 Posted Jul 16 2019 - 11:34

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 34778 battles
  • 236
  • [GIVUP] GIVUP
  • Member since:
    03-29-2013
Ok so assuming the 705 didn't push up and just stayed where he was, my answer would simply be, go somewhere else... You're at a disadvantage in this standoff since you can't really pen him but he can easily pen the top of your turret, so just relocate. It's for this 'standoff'y reason that I never play city on this map anyway, you can't make any progress if the enemies play well, you just have to sit on the corner all game. I always go J line in any tank I'm playing, while the city is stuck in a standoff I push up and progress on the J line. Once that's been won you go through the mid and farm shots on any TDs before coming up behind the heavies who have been stuck in city all game. In my experience whoever wins the J line on Studzianki tends to win the game, so best to help out that flank.

Trauglodyte #18 Posted Jul 16 2019 - 15:52

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 23712 battles
  • 3,752
  • [GSH] GSH
  • Member since:
    06-04-2016

View PostInfinityGamer, on Jul 16 2019 - 11:34, said:

Ok so assuming the 705 didn't push up and just stayed where he was, my answer would simply be, go somewhere else... You're at a disadvantage in this standoff since you can't really pen him but he can easily pen the top of your turret, so just relocate. It's for this 'standoff'y reason that I never play city on this map anyway, you can't make any progress if the enemies play well, you just have to sit on the corner all game. I always go J line in any tank I'm playing, while the city is stuck in a standoff I push up and progress on the J line. Once that's been won you go up through the mid and farm shots on any TDs before coming up behind the heavies who have been stuck in city all game. In my experience whoever wins the J line on Studzianki tends to win the game, so best to help out that flank.

 

That's a good call, Infinity.  When the map first came out, everyone and their brother went into the track building location and the overwatch hill.  But, as things settled down, it became very apparent that 1) the northern side is better for hull down tanks and 2) if said hull down tanks don't have any weak spots and/or your hull down tank does, you're in for a world of hurt.  Much better to go 1/2 line or sit at the mid point and wait it out.  Sadly, for as beautiful a map as Studzienki is, it is yet another funnel trap that essentially cripples any tank that isn't nigh invulnerable and any team that isn't hyper aggressive at pushing the 1/2 line.

 

On a side note, I like that you brought this up, Pythons, and that the people in this thread responded how they did.  That goes doubly for you, Infinity.  Perspective is something that I think is really lacking, in this game.  I play nothing but German tanks so how I approach maps and map locations is drastically different than that of an equal tier Russian tank or, in this case, the M103.  Plus, team make-up and opponent make-up changes things, as well.  I like these conversations because it is something that isn't often talked about and it gets people to thinking, which I find to be drastically lacking.  I really wish that we could get something going that would be like a weekly game play review, or something.  Would be information and it sure as crapwould be a lot better than the rampant "WG hates me and rigs my games, MM, RNG, etc." crap.


Edited by Trauglodyte, Jul 16 2019 - 15:56.


InfinityGamer #19 Posted Jul 16 2019 - 17:09

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 34778 battles
  • 236
  • [GIVUP] GIVUP
  • Member since:
    03-29-2013

View PostTrauglodyte, on Jul 17 2019 - 00:52, said:

That's a good call, Infinity.  When the map first came out, everyone and their brother went into the track building location and the overwatch hill.  But, as things settled down, it became very apparent that 1) the northern side is better for hull down tanks and 2) if said hull down tanks don't have any weak spots and/or your hull down tank does, you're in for a world of hurt.  Much better to go 1/2 line or sit at the mid point and wait it out.  Sadly, for as beautiful a map as Studzienki is, it is yet another funnel trap that essentially cripples any tank that isn't nigh invulnerable and any team that isn't hyper aggressive at pushing the 1/2 line.

 

On a side note, I like that you brought this up, Pythons, and that the people in this thread responded how they did.  That goes doubly for you, Infinity.  Perspective is something that I think is really lacking, in this game.  I play nothing but German tanks so how I approach maps and map locations is drastically different than that of an equal tier Russian tank or, in this case, the M103.  Plus, team make-up and opponent make-up changes things, as well.  I like these conversations because it is something that isn't often talked about and it gets people to thinking, which I find to be drastically lacking.  I really wish that we could get something going that would be like a weekly game play review, or something.  Would be information and it sure as crapwould be a lot better than the rampant "WG hates me and rigs my games, MM, RNG, etc." crap.

 

I'm slightly confused. 1/2 line is the spawn point of the west team, what do you mean 'pushing the 1/2 line'? Perhaps you've got your map coordinates a bit mixed up.

Also, I'm not sure what exactly you're referring to when you say that goes 'doubly' for me. What does?

Although a weekly gameplay review sounds interesting.



Leader_H #20 Posted Jul 16 2019 - 17:23

    Captain

  • Players
  • 22727 battles
  • 1,198
  • [HACKD] HACKD
  • Member since:
    06-21-2011
I didnt watch your replay, but based on my own experiences in the M103 as well as fighting it, try to situate yourself in higher grounds in a brawl, that way your weak rooftop is no longer exposed and just enjoy your troll armor.

The main difference between this tank and the other 120mm heavies (conq and m4 51) is that this guy is very agile and can wiggle your hull like a madman. But in most cases the other guys are better tanks...





Also tagged with M103, Heavy Tanks

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users