FL ranking system

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

owlgator #1 Posted Jul 17 2019 - 15:23

Captain

• Players
  • 15476 battles
  • [W--W] W--W

Yesterday I found myself ramming another tank to get the last bit of points to move up one rank before a battle ended.  I had zero motivation to shoot another tank or stop their push on to the final objective.  Ultimately this is FL as we know it - do what it takes to rank up regardless of how it impacts the outcome (win/loss).

This may not be the best proposal but something needs to change.  My (best? only?) suggestion at this point is to not only reward the entire team for a win, but scale it based on how well they accomplish their objective.  For example, give base points to the winning team if they successfully attack and destroy 3 objectives.  Add a multiplier if they have X amount of minutes left on the clock, captured all zones, etc.  For defending, give base points for successfully defending the objectives, and scale it based on how many objectives and/or cap zones are still safe.

I think FL would be most attractive if you are able to rank up by both doing what we do now (cap, kill tanks on cap, stop cap, etc.) as well as trying to meet your team's objective.  As it stands it's too one-sided for many players to care what's going on.

Swearengen5 #2 Posted Jul 17 2019 - 15:50

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 60881 battles
  • [-LOST] -LOST

FL sucks with the Mario Karts.

Capture only one column and the Mario Karts run wild through that column...and no one without a Mario Kart can catch them.  Complete garbage.  FL is $4it with them. 

Bad_Oedipus #3 Posted Jul 17 2019 - 15:50

Captain

• -Players-
  • 44880 battles
  • [PL1AD] PL1AD
I like the idea...but this goes against idea that everyone gets a trophy for participation.

GeorgePreddy #4 Posted Jul 17 2019 - 16:21

Major

• Players
  • 14680 battles

View Postowlgator, on Jul 17 2019 - 11:23, said:

Yesterday I found myself ramming another tank to get the last bit of points to move up one rank before a battle ended.

Please don't blame the game for your decision to make a cretinous move in it.

Man is condemned to be free; because once thrown into the world, he is responsible for everything he does.                 - Jean-Paul Sartre

Freedom is the will to be responsible to ourselves.         - Friedrich Nietzsche

GenPanzer #5 Posted Jul 17 2019 - 16:24

Major

• Players
  • 44178 battles
  • [EFFIT] EFFIT

Why can't a mode just be a mode? And, why does every player have to see it as their duty to try to come up with ways to make it better and fit their own agendas?

If you don't like something, move on. Play something else. No one is making you play this mode. No one will be upset that you don't play this mode.

Is it the greatest mode ever? No. But just take it for what it is and move on.

RoyalGreenPC #6 Posted Jul 17 2019 - 16:26

Captain

• Players
  • 23198 battles
  • [YOUJO] YOUJO
IMO you should get 2x FL points for wins, it'll give incentive for people to try at least.

Pipinghot #7 Posted Jul 17 2019 - 16:44

Major

• Players
  • 25960 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

View PostGeorgePreddy, on Jul 17 2019 - 10:21, said:

View Postowlgator, on Jul 17 2019 - 11:23, said:

Yesterday I found myself ramming another tank to get the last bit of points to move up one rank before a battle ended.

Please don't blame the game for your decision to make a cretinous move in it.

Man is condemned to be free; because once thrown into the world, he is responsible for everything he does.                 - Jean-Paul Sartre

Freedom is the will to be responsible to ourselves.         - Friedrich Nietzsche

A flawed system is flawed, regardless of what Nietzsche might think.

FL does not reward playing for victory, and in some cases rewards people for avoiding victory, which is just plain silly.

goldfinger_555 #8 Posted Jul 17 2019 - 16:46

Captain

• Players
  • 27505 battles
  • [FFWC] FFWC

View PostGenPanzer, on Jul 17 2019 - 15:24, said:

Why can't a mode just be a mode? And, why does every player have to see it as their duty to try to come up with ways to make it better and fit their own agendas?

If you don't like something, move on. Play something else. No one is making you play this mode. No one will be upset that you don't play this mode.

^^ This!

As for making the mode more valuable if you win, not having that is a big part of what makes it attractive. How many posts do we see each day about how frustrated people are in random battles? Reading them everyday gets so old. The reason there are so many complaints comes down to how much the Randoms are dependent on winning. From x2 for your first WIN of the day, to nerfs and buffs, to RNG, to mods, to getting in the best clans, to practically everything people complain about all goes back to how much emphasis is put on wins. Keep FL the way it is.

owlgator #9 Posted Jul 17 2019 - 17:12

Captain

• Players
  • 15476 battles
  • [W--W] W--W

View PostGenPanzer, on Jul 17 2019 - 09:24, said:

Why can't a game just be a game?   And, why do players spout such rhetoric then hypocritically do it anyway?

"WG, please setup a system to allow players to exchange their personal reserves up or down for shorter or longer reserves."

Pot calling kettle black...

xXx_Dead_Zombie_xXx #10 Posted Jul 17 2019 - 17:35

Major

• Players
  • 41383 battles
  • [SUX] SUX
Amazing how people only care and think it should be all about winning in FL, But in pubs its all about padding damage to make their fake skill WN8 indicator change color so other guys can touch tips together with ya.

dominator_98 #11 Posted Jul 17 2019 - 18:05

Major

• -Players-
  • 22874 battles
  • [PUBBY] PUBBY

On one hand, I like not being punished when my team is trash, but on the other hand I do agree with your point about people only caring about ranking up.

Personally I’m on the fence about whether or not this should be implemented, but +15% prestige XP from your rank on a win and -15% on a loss would keep people more interested in winning the game.

GenPanzer #12 Posted Jul 17 2019 - 18:13

Major

• Players
  • 44178 battles
  • [EFFIT] EFFIT

View Postowlgator, on Jul 17 2019 - 11:12, said:

Why can't a game just be a game?   And, why do players spout such rhetoric then hypocritically do it anyway?

"WG, please setup a system to allow players to exchange their personal reserves up or down for shorter or longer reserves."

Pot calling kettle black...

Asking for something new is different than asking for something to change.

cavalry11 #13 Posted Jul 17 2019 - 18:42

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 49114 battles
  • [11BAT] 11BAT
Since when isn't winning in any game the players goal? Is this the new idiot meta.

Syberfly #14 Posted Jul 17 2019 - 19:23

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 25042 battles
  • [GNZX1] GNZX1
What would be nice is if your on the losing team and you made General ect......  all of the losing team ranks should be cut in half along with the XP and $$$.  That would push people to winning as in any games over all objective.

GeorgePreddy #15 Posted Jul 17 2019 - 19:24

Major

• Players
  • 14680 battles

View PostPipinghot, on Jul 17 2019 - 12:44, said:

FL does not reward playing for victory, and in some cases rewards people for avoiding victory, which is just plain silly.

I don't let that fact get under my skin, I've accepted that everything has flaws. I'm responsible for me, not WGs design of the game.  I sincerely play for fun.  FL is very much fun for me.

You guys wanna mold it to your idea of near perfection.  I just wanna have a good time... and I do. 

My point of view is not wrong, just different from the perfectionists, completionists, collectors, wanna-be pros for money, wanna-be devs, etc.

It's a little sad that so many players are unable to have fun in a great mode only because it is imperfect.

Plays_With_Matches #16 Posted Jul 17 2019 - 20:25

Major

• Players
  • 29696 battles
  • [K-H] K-H

View PostSwearengen5, on Jul 17 2019 - 09:50, said:

FL sucks with the Mario Karts.

Capture only one column and the Mario Karts run wild through that column...and no one without a Mario Kart can catch them.  Complete garbage.  FL is $4it with them. 

Play much arty?

owlgator #17 Posted Jul 17 2019 - 22:23

Captain

• Players
  • 15476 battles
  • [W--W] W--W
Interesting.  So I guess if you make a suggestion you're not having fun.  Makes perfect sense to me!

DerJager #18 Posted Jul 21 2019 - 08:00

Major

• Players
  • 5813 battles
  • [GGNKR] GGNKR

George Preddy just likes being a devils advocate. He hasn't been a productive member of the community in years.

You're better off just ignoring that troll.

4P1 #19 Posted Jul 21 2019 - 14:33

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 26191 battles
  • [JGRNT] JGRNT

I agree that the ranking system drives FL battles; takes rank to progress tier and prestige levels. With no reward for victory, the driving force becomes rank; rank becomes most important. I get frustrated with that.

But, if victory became the driving force, rank would be less important, and tier/prestige progression would be slower.

I don't know what the balance is so I just play to progress and adjust my tactics accordingly, 'bout the best I can come up with … Happy Tankin'

Pipinghot #20 Posted Jul 21 2019 - 19:53

Major

• Players
  • 25960 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

View PostGeorgePreddy, on Jul 17 2019 - 13:24, said:

View PostPipinghot, on Jul 17 2019 - 12:44, said:

I don't let that fact get under my skin, I've accepted that everything has flaws. I'm responsible for me, not WGs design of the game.  I sincerely play for fun.  FL is very much fun for me.

You guys wanna mold it to your idea of near perfection.  I just wanna have a good time... and I do. 

My point of view is not wrong, just different from the perfectionists, completionists, collectors, wanna-be pros for money, wanna-be devs, etc.

It's a little sad that so many players are unable to have fun in a great mode only because it is imperfect.

You're presenting a false choice, there is no need to choose between having fun and looking for ways to make further improvements at the same time, they can both be done in tandem.

That's pretty much the story of human existence, there's always someone saying, "If it ain't broke don't fix it" while most people realize that's a bad argument and continue to improve the world around them. If humanity subscribed to your line of reasoning we'd still be sitting in the mud banging rocks together.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users