Jump to content


Stats and tank selection


  • Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Roggg2 #1 Posted Jul 18 2019 - 15:38

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 21878 battles
  • 2,132
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY
  • Member since:
    05-27-2015

This question is primarily for those with high level stats, but of course anyone is welcome to give their 2 cents.

 

I have some tanks and tank lines that I play pretty well.  I have others that I am very very bad at (I'm looking at you Grille 15).  I can have sessions that are solid blue or sometimes purple when I stick to what I'm good at.  I can also have yellow or worse when grinding things I'm not so good at.

 

So my question is, how much of "git gud" is simply sticking to what you do well?  Do even unicums have a (relatively) rough time playing tanks outside their comfort zone?



CaptSpaulding55 #2 Posted Jul 18 2019 - 15:44

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 34003 battles
  • 678
  • Member since:
    04-28-2013
Play what you enjoy playing. Get a purple sticky-note pad, write some unicum stats on it and then stick it on the corner of you monitor. Best of both worlds!

_Tsavo_ #3 Posted Jul 18 2019 - 15:52

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 45843 battles
  • 19,511
  • [BRVE] BRVE
  • Member since:
    02-16-2011

I can't speak for others, or even proper purples (tier 10 purples), but I gravitate towards what I win more in and where my KDR is higher simply because it's more fun to win and kill than lose and be killed.  Because I do better in them and enjoy them more, they end up with better numbers than something I don't quite enjoy playing or haven't completely grasped just yet.  Leopard 1 and AMX AC 48 are two that I'm struggling to come to grips with.  Whereas something like the Centurion 7/1 I enjoy playing.  I'm willing to give anything a shot and try things, but this game is for enjoyment and I tend to gravitate towards what I perform better in as it's more fun.

 

I don't consider myself a purple as my tier 10 performance is mediocre at best.



Anderwar #4 Posted Jul 18 2019 - 16:03

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 49392 battles
  • 612
  • [L4ST] L4ST
  • Member since:
    04-19-2013
Hey, my mentality is diferent y moustly grind to tier 10s and play tier 10s just for missions or to do the x5 for the crew. And i play tier 10s wich are meta for crew grinding and CW prepareness. But play what you enjoy (even arty) and dont be that crazy for stats.

H0D0R_ #5 Posted Jul 18 2019 - 16:12

    Captain

  • Players
  • 17358 battles
  • 1,890
  • [MAHOU] MAHOU
  • Member since:
    09-30-2013

View PostRoggg2, on Jul 18 2019 - 14:38, said:

This question is primarily for those with high level stats, but of course anyone is welcome to give their 2 cents.

 

I have some tanks and tank lines that I play pretty well.  I have others that I am very very bad at (I'm looking at you Grille 15).  I can have sessions that are solid blue or sometimes purple when I stick to what I'm good at.  I can also have yellow or worse when grinding things I'm not so good at.

 

So my question is, how much of "git gud" is simply sticking to what you do well?  Do even unicums have a (relatively) rough time playing tanks outside their comfort zone?

 

I like to play tanks that are out of meta to step out of my comfort zone. But most of the time you'll see me zooming around in a Leo1 since it is really fun at the moment.

 

I still have bad gaming sessions, we all do. I am not some sort of gamer god that can pull 70% + in pubs every time, it sort of ebbs and flows (win rate).

 

I have goals that I aim for every match. Tier 10 - 3.5k DMG. Tier 9- 3k DMG. Tier 8 3k-2.5k DMG. Etc etc.



Vulcan_Spectre #6 Posted Jul 18 2019 - 16:34

    First lieutenant

  • -Players-
  • 4307 battles
  • 831
  • [TCM] TCM
  • Member since:
    12-25-2017
dont gotta "git gud" if i love shotgunning at point blank with my arty. ima do it, idc what anyone says

_Tsavo_ #7 Posted Jul 18 2019 - 16:37

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 45843 battles
  • 19,511
  • [BRVE] BRVE
  • Member since:
    02-16-2011

View PostH0D0R_, on Jul 18 2019 - 10:12, said:

 

I like to play tanks that are out of meta to step out of my comfort zone. But most of the time you'll see me zooming around in a Leo1 since it is really fun at the moment.

 

I still have bad gaming sessions, we all do. I am not some sort of gamer god that can pull 70% + in pubs every time, it sort of ebbs and flows (win rate).

 

I have goals that I aim for every match. Tier 10 - 3.5k DMG. Tier 9- 3k DMG. Tier 8 3k-2.5k DMG. Etc etc.

Someday I might be able to pull those kinds of numbers off :C



Omega_Weapon #8 Posted Jul 18 2019 - 16:38

    Major

  • Players
  • 52922 battles
  • 2,603
  • [GRIEF] GRIEF
  • Member since:
    11-15-2011

View PostRoggg2, on Jul 18 2019 - 09:38, said:

So my question is, how much of "git gud" is simply sticking to what you do well?  Do even unicums have a (relatively) rough time playing tanks outside their comfort zone?


Some tanks are harder to win in than others, but its possible to do okay in just about any tank in the game (at least until British lights are introduced). I am putting 400 battles into every different tank in the game just to prove I can be successful in any of them. They key is to avoid playing a tank the way you prefer to play. Instead you play the tank the way it wants to be played.



Cerbium #9 Posted Jul 18 2019 - 16:42

    Captain

  • Players
  • 19370 battles
  • 1,365
  • Member since:
    10-15-2012
i suck but I play what is fun to me and usually what is fun to me gives me purple stats

LeaveIT2Beaver #10 Posted Jul 18 2019 - 16:46

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 37341 battles
  • 9,950
  • [J4F] J4F
  • Member since:
    07-04-2014

While I am certainly no expert on WOT, I too make myself play the tanks I seem to be the worst at. Recently I played my T54E1 on Pilsen and was amazed I came away with an Ace and finished a mission!
Even a blind squirrel...

 


Edited by LeaveIT2Beaver, Jul 18 2019 - 16:47.


Blocksupstudios #11 Posted Jul 18 2019 - 17:01

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 12706 battles
  • 481
  • Member since:
    06-22-2013
just go with what your mindset goes with, and apply that to your playstyle unless you are camping in a maus at 3-5-7. then there's something wrong with you

ThatoneguyKaz #12 Posted Jul 18 2019 - 17:17

    Captain

  • Players
  • 20516 battles
  • 1,568
  • [SNPAI] SNPAI
  • Member since:
    02-28-2013

Im mostly a dark blue and blurple on most days. 

 

I generally play at tier 9-10 but i generally play what i have fun in. This game is entertainment first and formost, so even if the k91, leo1 and 705a are considered bad or non meta, theyre my favorite and ill play them.  

 

Play what you enjoy first snd formost. The stats will come



Pipinghot #13 Posted Jul 18 2019 - 17:22

    Major

  • Players
  • 25960 battles
  • 10,306
  • [IOC] IOC
  • Member since:
    11-20-2011

View PostRoggg2, on Jul 18 2019 - 09:38, said:

This question is primarily for those with high level stats, but of course anyone is welcome to give their 2 cents.

 

I have some tanks and tank lines that I play pretty well.  I have others that I am very very bad at (I'm looking at you Grille 15).  I can have sessions that are solid blue or sometimes purple when I stick to what I'm good at.  I can also have yellow or worse when grinding things I'm not so good at.

 

So my question is, how much of "git gud" is simply sticking to what you do well?  Do even unicums have a (relatively) rough time playing tanks outside their comfort zone?

In addition to the advice given by better players, this is a good time for you to familiarize yourself with the concept of "tank curves". What this means is that some banks are better for low skill players, some tanks are better for high skill players, and some tanks are good or bad for all players.

 

It's a little hard to navigate at first, but you'll want to familiarize yourself with this information the wot-news site.

http://wot-news.com/.../tankinfo/en/us

this is where you'll find the "Statistic, tanks curves and full information"

[ Edit: I originally gave the URL to the EU data on wot-news, there is a button on the screen to change to the different regions, in case you want to see how the different regions sometimes have different results on various tanks. ]

 

For example, on that page click on the buttons in this order - "Tanks Curves", the French Flag, the symbol for Light tanks, the "IV" for Tier IV tanks - then click on the icon for the AMX 40 tank. Now scroll down to the graphical image with the diamonds titled, "Tank winrate curves for AMX 40"

 

On that graph look at the black and green lines, mouse over the various diamonds on the curves, and you will see that for bad players the tank actually boosts their win rate, while for good players that tank holds them back and prevents them from reaching their full potential. Even though this is generally considered an underpowered tank, it's only underpowered if you're good. If you're bad it's a great tank to play. For a 52% player like you, if you've never played it before the expectation would be that the AMX40 would drag you down some.

 

Every tank in the game has a slightly different profile, and it's useful to you to know which tanks are most likely to help you and which are most likely to hurt you. Of course your individual results will vary some, these are averages. You might be a 52% player who actually wins 52% of your battles in the AMX40, every person has some tanks they overperform with and some they underperform with, depending on their individual play styles. But what the tank curves will do is give you a general understanding of which tanks are most likely to be good for you and which are not. Or let's say you've been playing a tank and you can't figure out why your win rate is lower on that tank than all your other tanks, you might look at the tank curve and find out that most people at your skill level struggle with the same tank. The real lesson from tank curves is that there are very few tanks that are truly overpowered or underpowerd, for most tanks you have to consider what your baseline skill level is in order to help understand whether that particular tank is OP or UP for you at your skill level.


Edited by Pipinghot, Jul 19 2019 - 00:48.


2MOEJOE #14 Posted Jul 18 2019 - 17:29

    First lieutenant

  • -Players-
  • 4125 battles
  • 606
  • Member since:
    11-28-2017
The Cromwell Comet Centurian 1  AX and the French AMX 30 are nice tanks to do well in if mediums are your thing.The tier VII 1357 and 1375 French lights are nice also.I didn't list anything Russian because I like gun handling and that's something they don't have but a lot of people like them it's just not my thing.The tanks I listed seem to be pretty noob friendly because I'm sure I wouldn't be able to hold a 58 to 61 % winrate over thousands of games because I'm not very good at many tanks.

golruul #15 Posted Jul 18 2019 - 17:40

    Captain

  • Players
  • 22118 battles
  • 1,682
  • Member since:
    11-05-2011

View PostRoggg2, on Jul 18 2019 - 08:38, said:

So my question is, how much of "git gud" is simply sticking to what you do well?  Do even unicums have a (relatively) rough time playing tanks outside their comfort zone?

 

A good player will still be good in tanks they don't like.  Good situational awareness, map knowledge/positioning, and tank knowledge/abilities are still there regardless of actual tank played.  So when someone finally "gits gud", they stay gud -- they just happen to be gudder in tanks they like.

 

For me, yes, I do worse with tanks I don't like playing.  My preferred play style is to constantly pressure enemies in a versatile front-line tank with good armor and gun depression.  I like this role and do well at it. 

 

On the other hand, I hate the no-armor camo sniper role.  I just don't like the passive gameplay that relies on others to screw up.  I do worse in these tanks.  I also don't like full-clip autoloaders (think French tanks) because they're not as versatile.  However, I'm still "good" with them, just not as good as the tanks I like to play.



Raxter54 #16 Posted Jul 18 2019 - 21:30

    First lieutenant

  • -Players-
  • 13592 battles
  • 630
  • [GFLC] GFLC
  • Member since:
    05-22-2016

Pipinghot - I'm trying to 2 mark my VK 16.02 Leopard. I'm up to 80 on my MOE and my win rate has risen to 53% on this tank, overall is still slightly under 48%. If I read this graph correctly, when I highlight the 48% green square, it says "48% Overall : 40.98% on tank". Does that mean a person with my overall win rate of 48% should only be getting a 40.98% win rate playing the Leopard? Just trying to understand the graph....

 

 


 



Numerius_Titurius_Sophus #17 Posted Jul 18 2019 - 21:40

    Captain

  • -Players-
  • 14982 battles
  • 1,730
  • [GSH] GSH
  • Member since:
    05-07-2015

View PostRoggg2, on Jul 18 2019 - 15:38, said:

This question is primarily for those with high level stats, but of course anyone is welcome to give their 2 cents.

 

I have some tanks and tank lines that I play pretty well.  I have others that I am very very bad at (I'm looking at you Grille 15).  I can have sessions that are solid blue or sometimes purple when I stick to what I'm good at.  I can also have yellow or worse when grinding things I'm not so good at.

 

So my question is, how much of "git gud" is simply sticking to what you do well?  Do even unicums have a (relatively) rough time playing tanks outside their comfort zone?

 

There are many different kinds of unicums.  

 

- There is the 'true' unicum - they don't really seal club, they don't spend most of their battles in a few OP-considered tanks.  They don't do the same thing at the start of every map but flex immediately from the start.  These supernaturals are just plain very very good.  NO tricks.

 

- There is the seal clubbing 'unicum'.  They can be extreme like having almost all their 20K battles in an OP tier 2 tank...or can be like a certain person that types in green text (when you see him next time, take a look at what tanks he plays and at what tier).  These players are still good, don't get me wrong - but they are not as good as their WN8 suggests.

 

- There are the unicums that play each map exactly the same way.  I have played with a few of these.  They have all modes turned off but one (they got extremely irate at me platooning with them when they found out I had them turned on as I became platoon leader).  This upsets their routine and they hate that.  They have a system that works and they stick to it.  These are the ones that wouldn't do nearly as well outside their comfort zone.

 

- There are the 'needless damage' unicums...they do damage but that damage is redundent as it would have been done anyway.  You can tell these types because they are a unicum but their win-rate or recent win-rate is below 50%.

 

In short, some unicums will perform outstanding outside their comfort zone.  In fact, they really have no comfort zone as the whole game is that to them.  Then there are the others (seal clubbers in high tiers, exact same map players playing differently or needless damage unicums having to be on the front lines) where they would definitely suffer outside their comfort zone.

 

Watching a 'true' unicum play is usually awe-inspiring.


Edited by Numerius_Titurius_Sophus, Jul 18 2019 - 21:43.


Pipinghot #18 Posted Jul 19 2019 - 01:36

    Major

  • Players
  • 25960 battles
  • 10,306
  • [IOC] IOC
  • Member since:
    11-20-2011

View PostRaxter54, on Jul 18 2019 - 15:30, said:

Pipinghot - I'm trying to 2 mark my VK 16.02 Leopard. I'm up to 80 on my MOE and my win rate has risen to 53% on this tank, overall is still slightly under 48%. If I read this graph correctly, when I highlight the 48% green square, it says "48% Overall : 40.98% on tank". Does that mean a person with my overall win rate of 48% should only be getting a 40.98% win rate playing the Leopard? Just trying to understand the graph...

I wouldn't say that you "should" only be getting a 40.98% WR on that tank, it just shows what other people are doing. If we take all of the 48% players who have played that tank recently (which I think is the last 2 months) the average win rate on that tank for that group of players has been 40.98%, so you're clearly beating the averages for your category ( your category being "players who have an overall win rate of 48% ).

 

This is also a great example of why it's important to think about the reasons why individual players diverge from those averages. I'm not sure why 45% to 49% players are having such a tough time with this tank recently, but they are. And yet during that same difficult time you're not only doing better than than your 48% category would indicate, you're doing significantly better than even your own overall in all your tanks. The most obvious reasons why you're doing so well are that you play this tank a lot, it's your 5th most played tank,and clearly you like it and are working hard at learning how to play it well. Of your top 10 most played tanks this tank has your highest win rate, so there's something about this tank that really works for you, or you've been really working at it and that work is getting results. When we look at all of those other players in the 48% category, it's a sure bet that very few of them are putting the kind of focus and work into this tank that you are, your results indicate that your focus and work are paying off.

Edited by Pipinghot, Jul 19 2019 - 01:37.


Raxter54 #19 Posted Jul 19 2019 - 03:34

    First lieutenant

  • -Players-
  • 13592 battles
  • 630
  • [GFLC] GFLC
  • Member since:
    05-22-2016

View PostPipinghot, on Jul 19 2019 - 01:36, said:

I wouldn't say that you "should" only be getting a 40.98% WR on that tank, it just shows what other people are doing. If we take all of the 48% players who have played that tank recently (which I think is the last 2 months) the average win rate on that tank for that group of players has been 40.98%, so you're clearly beating the averages for your category ( your category being "players who have an overall win rate of 48% ).

 

This is also a great example of why it's important to think about the reasons why individual players diverge from those averages. I'm not sure why 45% to 49% players are having such a tough time with this tank recently, but they are. And yet during that same difficult time you're not only doing better than than your 48% category would indicate, you're doing significantly better than even your own overall in all your tanks. The most obvious reasons why you're doing so well are that you play this tank a lot, it's your 5th most played tank,and clearly you like it and are working hard at learning how to play it well. Of your top 10 most played tanks this tank has your highest win rate, so there's something about this tank that really works for you, or you've been really working at it and that work is getting results. When we look at all of those other players in the 48% category, it's a sure bet that very few of them are putting the kind of focus and work into this tank that you are, your results indicate that your focus and work are paying off.

Thank you for the explanation.  I think I'm starting to understand. Of course, today was one of those "shouldn't have bothered starting the game" type days 



Jryder #20 Posted Jul 19 2019 - 04:57

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 13911 battles
  • 2,664
  • Member since:
    11-01-2010

View PostCerbium, on Jul 18 2019 - 07:42, said:

i suck but I play what is fun to me and usually what is fun to me gives me purple stats

Greens and better really ought to stop with the self-deprecating "I suck" routine. You are comfortably above average, 4 percentage points above me, and i'm several percentage points above average. I don't suck (though I am woefully inconsistent and overly aggressive...) so neither do you.

 

This talk does no good for newer players and those trying to learn/get better.






1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users