Unicum's Guide to the IKEA-Loader (Strv m/42-57 Alt A.2)

Guide Strv 42-57

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

haxmachine21 #1 Posted Jul 20 2019 - 20:51

Captain

• -Players-
  • 14941 battles
  • [S_T_P] S_T_P

With the Strv m/42-57 3-Marked, it’s time for another guide! Enjoy!

The Strv m/42-57 Alt A.2 (To give it its full, confusing name) was a medium tank developed as an alternative alongside the Strv 74, in an attempt to modernize Sweden’s old Strv m/42 tanks to fight alongside the heavier Centurion 1s, offering a better element of mobility. However, the Strv m/42-57 was never built, while the Strv 74 saw 225 tanks modernized from the old m/42 model.

The Strv m/42-57 is a Tier 6 Swedish Premium Medium tank, which costs about $19 in the online Premium shop, which advertises it as a tank with ‘excellent penetration and accuracy’. But what else are you buying into when you pick up this little guy?

PROS:

--Excellent accuracy (.32).

--Great AP and outstanding APCR pen (148/190).

--Good view range.

--Very good camouflage. Also hard to hit when seen, thanks to its small size.

--A great average clip potential of 600 damage, which can be dealt out in 8 seconds.

--Fairly quick full reload (14-15 seconds fully trained).

--Great aim time.

--Solid crew trainer. Has the same crew set-up as the Tier 8-10 Swedish mediums.

CONS:

--Very fragile. HE pens will be common. Artillery is a major threat.

--Frequent modular damage.

--Crew is also at great risk, and losing either the multi-role Gunner or Commander is a serious blow.

--Garbage depression and elevation values (-6/12).

--Sub-par dispersion.

--Not as mobile as the average medium tank.

The Strv 42-57 has a very interesting playstyle….which I found to be nearly identical to the Chi-Nu Kai. Both share the same light armor, low health, and excellent view range and camouflage values, along with both having less than optimal mobility. This means that the Strv fares better at longer ranges, and out of all the battles I had, that theory was confirmed. Armed with a highly accurate gun, the Strv can sit in a bush and pump out endless drums of ammunition and spot targets for allies, all while remaining safe from retaliation, which would be brutal due to the light armor it has. Up close, the Strv is fairly easy to take down, due to that same light armor and bad mobility. However, far away is where the Strv shines. NO, that does not mean you can red-line like a tryhard. Engage at medium range, where you can ensure that your shots land and penetrate. And when it comes to bigger targets, hold your fire and use your spotting range to find those larger targets you can’t handle, and rake in that assistance damage as your team does the heavy lifting on your behalf.

When you’re top tier, you can be somewhat more aggressive, operating with other medium tanks. Thanks to your massive clip potential, you can either bring down a single tank in one fell swoop, or take down multiple lower-health enemies. However, watch yourself. Tanks like the KV-2 and O-I WILL one-shot you, and you don’t have much armor to defend against any other tank. So, just simply support, and you’ll have done your part.

Mid-tier plays differently. At this point, you can settle more into the way the Strv was meant to be played. Find yourself a bush or some hard cover, and spot what you can, using your view range and camouflage to your advantage. Take medium or long distance shots and annoy the crap out of your enemies with your accurate, fast-firing autoloader. Also, do your best to stay alive until the end of the game….an autoloader in the endgame is one of the most dangerous things around.

Bottom tier is the same way as mid tier, except you will need to plan out your shots. There will be MANY enemies than can easily one-shot you now, so be aware of your surroundings and know when to stay passive and spot or when to go active and dump your clip on an unsuspecting medium or light tank. In this scenario, your camo will be your saving grace, and your view range will enable your enemies to take down the larger opponents you can’t face openly.

Modules should be Vents, Coated Optics, and Gun Laying Drive. This increases view range, and makes your gun aim all the faster.

Consumables should be the usual suspects. Repair Kit, First Aid, and Auto Extinguisher.

Crew skills will be interesting, as there are A LOT of shared roles, so I will go with 4 skills to suggest. The Commander/Loader/Radio Operator should have Sixth Sense, BiA, Situational Awareness, and Repairs. The Gunner/Loader should have Deadeye, Repairs, Intuition, and BiA. Finally, the Driver should have Smooth Ride, Clutch Braking, BiA, and Repairs. A good 5th skill for all would be Camouflage. After that, do what you think is best.

As for ammunition, I suggest 32 AP, 24 APCR, and 4 HE.

Here are some replays…..this time, there are A LOT. There was no shortage of outstanding battles during this grind.

--Autoloader in the endgame: http://wotreplays.eu...m_42-57_alt_a_2

--Mid-tier mayhem (3 MoE game) : http://wotreplays.eu...m_42-57_alt_a_2

--Top Tier clubbing: http://wotreplays.eu...m_42-57_alt_a_2

--Bottom tier Ace: http://wotreplays.eu...m_42-57_alt_a_2

--Another endgame carry: http://wotreplays.eu...m_42-57_alt_a_2

--Ace on defeat, mid-tier: http://wotreplays.eu...e/4964498#stats

Finally, some tips!

--Another good strategy for the Strv 42-57 is to platoon. I did extremely well when my buddy would play his 85M as a spotter, and he spotted targets that were too far out for me to spot myself.

--CQC is the LAST resort in the Strv. If you’re forced to go close quarters, ensure you have a full drum loaded and do as much damage as you can before you’re taken down.

--Just a FINAL note. Again, the Strv 42-57 plays like an autoloading Chi-Nu Kai. If you enjoy the Kai, you’ll probably like the Strv.

--And if you can’t get the Strv to produce results, don’t bother making your stats and win rate worse by playing it. You’ll find your soul-tank in time!

Hope you all enjoy this!! Good luck in YOUR Strv m/42-57!

Edited by haxmachine21, Jul 21 2019 - 03:06.

Vulcan_Spectre #2 Posted Jul 20 2019 - 21:35

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 4440 battles
  • [TCM] TCM
ok ok, i think i got it but, canyousaythewholethingoveragainiwasntlistening?

Gothraul #3 Posted Jul 20 2019 - 22:43

Major

• -Players-
  • 2426 battles

This is the tank that I used to grind out a five perk crew for the Emil line on another account and the worst issues with it other than being easy damage to HE is the amx problems with the turret for which is why I call it the Strugglevan m42-57 as it can be a real struggle to play. This tank would benefit greatly from the use of a vstab as well some small improvements to the soft stats beyond that it is better than some other tier 6 premiums.

By the way one of the main reasons for the Chi-Nu Kai not being popular is due to the gun handling and standard mm.

Edited by Gothraul, Jul 20 2019 - 22:45.

haxmachine21 #4 Posted Jul 20 2019 - 23:00

Captain

• -Players-
  • 14941 battles
  • [S_T_P] S_T_P

View PostGothraul, on Jul 20 2019 - 15:43, said:

This is the tank that I used to grind out a five perk crew for the Emil line on another account and the worst issues with it other than being easy damage to HE is the amx problems with the turret for which is why I call it the Strugglevan m42-57 as it can be a real struggle to play. This tank would benefit greatly from the use of a vstab as well some small improvements to the soft stats beyond that it is better than some other tier 6 premiums.

By the way one of the main reasons for the Chi-Nu Kai not being popular is due to the gun handling and standard mm.

I agree on the fact of the Kai. It's not often seen, and it's fairly pointless when the standard Chi-Nu literally does the same stuff. But once I figured out that the Strv played similarly to the Kai, I started raking in Aces left and right and carrying every other battle I was in. Like I said...a Kai with an autoloader.

As for the turret, that's what makes it somewhat hard. The elevation and depression are just that bad. And yeah, if it had VStab and some minor buffs, it'd be one of the most outstanding Premiums you could get.

sixpackdaddy #5 Posted Jul 21 2019 - 00:54

Private

• Players
  • 18679 battles
When you say "Vents, Optics, and Gun Laying Drive," do you mean coated optics specifically?

haxmachine21 #6 Posted Jul 21 2019 - 03:06

Captain

• -Players-
  • 14941 battles
  • [S_T_P] S_T_P

View Postsixpackdaddy, on Jul 20 2019 - 17:54, said:

When you say "Vents, Optics, and Gun Laying Drive," do you mean coated optics specifically?

Yeah, I do.

Tao_Te_Tomato #7 Posted Jul 21 2019 - 03:45

Major

• -Players-
  • 27439 battles
  • [TER] TER

I seem to have been playing mine wrong.  But I liked it.  I suspect I may start liking it more, now!

Thanks!

haxmachine21 #8 Posted Jul 21 2019 - 03:46

Captain

• -Players-
  • 14941 battles
  • [S_T_P] S_T_P

View PostTao_Te_Tomato, on Jul 20 2019 - 20:45, said:

I seem to have been playing mine wrong.  But I liked it.  I suspect I may start liking it more, now!

Thanks!

You're welcome! I hope the Strv is a little easier for you now!

Also tagged with Guide, Strv 42-57

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users