It's time to re-address light tanks, WG.

Light Tank

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

24_inch_pythons #1 Posted Jul 20 2019 - 22:50

Major

• Players
  • 29410 battles
  • [HSOLO] HSOLO
  Non-wheeled light tanks need a buff in general. With the removal of scouting being really necessary on the majority of maps and the introduction of the EBR's I think it's time to give light tanks a buff in the gun department. Make them able to act as mobile tds… buff their alpha and especially their penetration. Sure, some lights can do this already, just, in general, buff them all so they all can do it.

spud_tuber #2 Posted Jul 20 2019 - 23:08

Major

• Players
  • 58382 battles

No. There are already enough high pen, high camo tanks out there.

Instead, some mobility, gun handling, and VR buffs are in order. Maybe also a bit of camo on some of the less stealthy ones.

Meanwhile, nerf the gun handling on gocarts and maybe make it a tad easier to damage their mobility when hit. Some of the wheelies might need minor buffs after that, so maybe dpm, VR, or HP as needed. Some of the wheelies would be fine after the nerfs, so nothing for them.

Edit:  VR as a whole needs reducing, especially at high tiers on small maps, so the easiest way to buff LT VR is simply not reduce it (as much) when VR is properly rebalanced.

_Red_Saaryn_ #3 Posted Jul 20 2019 - 23:16

Captain

• -Players-
  • 22038 battles
  • [-IKR-] -IKR-

How about just taking the ebr godmode armor so they don't absorb 95% of the incoming damage no matter the shell type/pen/alpha?. That way those annoying wheeled feks can be as vulnerable as any other light tank. 

Lately, I have been playing my German bulldog as a mobile td because if I go spotting either my team doesn't shot what I spot and let me die or there is an enemy ebr that absorbs my ap and high pen HE shells while firing back HE and doing over 300 hp damage to my tank. So playing it as a td let's me do easily over 2k damage and not counting the spotting damage of course (I only spot for myself )

Edited by _Red_Saaryn_, Jul 20 2019 - 23:19.

24_inch_pythons #4 Posted Jul 20 2019 - 23:17

Major

• Players
  • 29410 battles
  • [HSOLO] HSOLO

View Postspud_tuber, on Jul 20 2019 - 16:08, said:

No. There are already enough high pen, high camo tanks out there.

Instead, some mobility, gun handling, and VR buffs are in order. Maybe also a bit of camo on some of the less stealthy ones.

Meanwhile, nerf the gun handling on gocarts and maybe make it a tad easier to damage their mobility when hit. Some of the wheelies might need minor buffs after that, so maybe dpm, VR, or HP as needed. Some of the wheelies would be fine after the nerfs, so nothing for them.

Edit:  VR as a whole needs reducing, especially at high tiers on small maps, so the easiest way to buff LT VR is simply not reduce it (as much) when VR is properly rebalanced.

I think Wargamings "talk" about what the British light tanks were going to be is right. High pen, high alpha (for a light tank) low DPM. Of course, right now that's all it is... "talk" … as the line they've released to the test server appear to all be garbage. No higher pen, no higher alpha and lower DPM than most Tier I tanks. But again, if they actually did what they're talking about I think it would give light tanks more usefulness, in general, until the endgame when they're actually useful as scouts.

24_inch_pythons #5 Posted Jul 20 2019 - 23:18

Major

• Players
  • 29410 battles
  • [HSOLO] HSOLO

View Post_Red_Saaryn_, on Jul 20 2019 - 16:16, said:

How about just taking the ebr godmode armor so they don't absorb 95% of the incoming damage no matter the shell type/pen/alpha?. That way those annoying wheeled feks can be as vulnerable as any other light tank.

Yeah, their combination of high speed and insane mobility is more than enough to make up for the lack of armor.

AndrewSledge #6 Posted Jul 20 2019 - 23:54

Major

• -Players-
  • 36138 battles
  • [1_FFD] 1_FFD

From the Reddit Q&A a week or so ago:

Block Quote

Q   Will tracked light tanks get their top speed back from when most of them were nerfed in 9.18, with the introduction of wheeled lights seeing how they out perform tracked lights in both p/w and top speed?

A   At the moment we do not feel that tracked LTs as a class require a buff. We are currently testing our big rebalance initiative on Sandbox and if it proves our ideas to be right, it could lead to a significant change for all classes, LTs in particular. Thus we will be able to correct the balance between tracked and wheeled light tanks as well, if we continue to gather proofs it is indeed needed.

Q   On the subject of light vehicles   any chance for the lower tier light tanks to get their "fun guns" back (i.e. VK 28.01's 105mm derp, MT-25's and 59-16's low-pen autoloaders, SP I C's autoloader [maybe on the HWK as well?], etc.), and/or top speed nerfs reverted? While the light rework was nice to get tier 10 lights (and I love most of the tier 9s), many of the lower tiers all feel the same to play (especially at tier 6, where they are nearly identical to one another, save for the AMX 12 t), and - coupled with the much more limited top speeds - no longer have as much "fun factor" to them, making them feel a lot less interesting/rewarding to play post-rework.

A   Hopefully, past the big balance paradigm shift, we are trying to validate now. If it turns out to be something solid, the next steps would include low and mid tiers re-balance and role adjustments guaranteed. Unless the tests on Sandbox fail, we'd rather avoid doing multiple out of sync increments on specific nations/vehicle classes

Q   Many players Clam that light tanks are significantly underperforming compared to other classes. Nothing has been changed for light tanks since patch 9.20.1. Are there any plans to change light tanks to make them more competitive on the battlefield weather it's better view range, speed, or guns?

A   At the moment they are underperforming so heavily that we sometimes are seriously scared they might push Meds out of their niche ;)

RHeadshot #7 Posted Jul 21 2019 - 00:15

Captain

• -Players-
  • 5451 battles
The problem is they've buffed too much for no damn good reason, because the idiots making the decision don't play the game.

RHeadshot #8 Posted Jul 21 2019 - 00:16

Captain

• -Players-
  • 5451 battles

View Post24_inch_pythons, on Jul 20 2019 - 23:18, said:

Yeah, their combination of high speed and insane mobility is more than enough to make up for the lack of armor.

B.S.  When they take and survive 2 hits from a tier 10 gun, they have FAR too much armor/survivability.

SlappedbyRommel #9 Posted Jul 21 2019 - 00:33

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 9563 battles
  • [SHRKE] SHRKE

View PostRHeadshot, on Jul 21 2019 - 00:16, said:

B.S.  When they take and survive 2 hits from a tier 10 gun, they have FAR too much armor/survivability.

Dont forget they seem to land on their wheels when doing back flips saw one do a cartwheel and still land and go wth?

KaiserWilhelmShatner #10 Posted Jul 21 2019 - 00:39

Major

• Players
  • 16769 battles
  • [F_O_G] F_O_G

View PostRHeadshot, on Jul 20 2019 - 15:16, said:

View PostSlappedbyRommel, on Jul 20 2019 - 15:33, said:

Dont forget they seem to land on their wheels when doing back flips saw one do a cartwheel and still land and go wth?

Am I going to be the only one who mentions their unbelievable accuracy while on the move at full speed and bouncing around all over the place?

madogthefirst #11 Posted Jul 21 2019 - 00:50

Major

• Players
  • 24377 battles
  • [GFLC] GFLC
There are only Non-wheeled Light Tanks or as the rest of us call em light tanks. There are light tanks and armored cars calling them wheeled light tanks makes you sound like a dumb*ss.

madogthefirst #12 Posted Jul 21 2019 - 01:02

Major

• Players
  • 24377 battles
  • [GFLC] GFLC

View PostSlappedbyRommel, on Jul 20 2019 - 15:33, said:

They got thier own special physics not even sure it is possible to flip on and it remain flipped. Think I saw one flipped once and it immediately righted without rolling over.

_Brew_ #13 Posted Jul 21 2019 - 01:10

Major

• Players
  • 23997 battles
  • [HARM] HARM

Easy fix.  When you shoot a light tank's tire it should go right through and damage the tank.  No more magic tires absorbing damage.  

_Katyusha___ #14 Posted Jul 21 2019 - 01:21

Captain

• -Players-
  • 16557 battles
  • [KTSHA] KTSHA

I'm ok with the current state of light tanks.

The problem is wheels, they need nerf. Should get dmg everytime (no bounce, no ricochet, critical HE, more chances to flip, get slower when wheel dmg) and remove autoaim assistance.

24_inch_pythons #15 Posted Jul 21 2019 - 01:46

Major

• Players
  • 29410 battles
  • [HSOLO] HSOLO

View PostRHeadshot, on Jul 20 2019 - 17:16, said:

Do you not know how to read?

That's what I said.

They don't need to have the ability to take a hit because they have an insane ability to avoid being hit.

Not rocket science, man.

ArmorStorm #16 Posted Jul 21 2019 - 02:13

Major

• Players
  • 37524 battles
  • [F__R] F__R

View Postmadogthefirst, on Jul 20 2019 - 18:02, said:

They got thier own special physics not even sure it is possible to flip on and it remain flipped. Think I saw one flipped once and it immediately righted without rolling over.

I’ve managed to flip one.  Not easily though. 

pepe_trueno #17 Posted Jul 21 2019 - 02:30

Major

• Players
  • 41596 battles
give tracked light tanks the hability to partialy negate enemy camo boost from foliage / net  aswell as access to low pen high DPM guns, that should make them better spoters and flankers than any  other tank.

leeuniverse #18 Posted Jul 21 2019 - 02:39

Major

• Players
  • 38646 battles
  • [LAMP] LAMP

View Post24_inch_pythons, on Jul 20 2019 - 14:50, said:

Non-wheeled light tanks need a buff in general. With the removal of scouting being really necessary on the majority of maps and the introduction of the EBR's I think it's time to give light tanks a buff in the gun department. Make them able to act as mobile tds… buff their alpha and especially their penetration. Sure, some lights can do this already, just, in general, buff them all so they all can do it.

Meh...  I think the only "buff" tracked Lights need is a "power/acceleration" buffed.

Some might need a top speed buff also, but tracked lights clearly aren't to do the same job necessarily as wheeled anymore.

Tracked lights have become a cross breed of spotting and fighting tanks.

Tracked Lights stopped doing the job of spotting like the wheeled now do when The Great Physics Nerf occurred.

Don't if you all even noticed, but tracked Lights haven't been running around spotting and going after Arty generally speaking since then.

For example, when was the last time you saw a tracked light running and spotting at the beginning of a battle in the open field on Malinovka?

Almost never anymore...  Yet before the Great Physics Nerf, they used to do it all the time (me too).  Lights were made considerably slow since that nerf so that no longer occurs.

the_Deadly_Bulb #19 Posted Jul 21 2019 - 03:07

Major

• Players
  • 27261 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View Postmadogthefirst, on Jul 20 2019 - 16:02, said:

I didn't think so until I lidded my EBR and it did, after the appropriate time explode.

They also pop if they land really REALLY hard, but they can and do take a lot of punishment before the vehicle crushed message appears.

SporkBoy #20 Posted Jul 21 2019 - 03:08

Major

• Players
  • 47513 battles
  • [PZB] PZB
No, we just need bigger maps.

Also tagged with Light Tank

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users