newbie crew skill medium tank

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

track_fire #1 Posted Jul 21 2019 - 06:20

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 6386 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

Until recently in grinding crew skills I have been starting with repair for all my tanks. Then at 100% repair, retraining the commander to 6th Sense, gunner to snap shot etc. and then grinding using repair again. In researching to get better, this forum, replays and streams etc, I'm finding a lot of players going for camo instead of repair on their mediums. Light tanks that makes sense to me, you want to be hidden same with arty and TD's. But in the medium that I have retrained (M4 Sherman), I'm struggling with the slow repair times now.  Possibly my playing style really needs repair? Should I just suck it up and buy large repair kits? Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks everyone in advance.

TankFullOfBourbon #2 Posted Jul 21 2019 - 08:09

Major

• Players
  • 30255 battles
  • [DHO6] DHO6

Camo or repairs on Medium tanks - this is the big debate and has been for several years. I started as you to put repairs on my crew as their first skill until I could retrain the Commander to 6th Sense and later the whole crew to BIA after second skill set reached 100%. Lately I have gone with Camo instead, or mixed Camo and Repairs. This is my take on it.

With reusable toolkits that come back to service after the 90 sec cooldown the need for a repairs-trained crew is much less important. If you get tracked in the open with your Medium, you better repair with your toolkit or you'd be losing a lot of health even if your crew are fully trained on Repairs. I personally use Large Repair kit on all my +tier 6 tanks which also fix everything else wrong with the tanks too, so need to pick the tracks specifically if the tank also has a problem with two other components. If you are tracked again and your toolkit is unavailable, you probably get an early bath in the Garage regardless if your crew has Repairs or Camo. This is also the main beef the Camo supporters have with Repairs as a skill. A counter-weight can be to use both a Large and a Small Repair kit on your tank, in place for the Fire extinguisher.

Camo, on the other hand, makes you stay unseen longer and go back into stealth faster (from range) but it's built on the basis that you also work up your vision skills as well, and use camo on the tank. So it's not just enough to train the crew to have Camo, you should also put camo on the tank to up the camo factor more, plus train your crew on Situational Awareness/Recon and equip with Optics. The camo theory is part of the Vision mechanics where the view range war between you and your enemies is a battle of view range in meters minus camo rating. It's a complicated formula, I think, but the bottom line is that it's about both these two skills. For example, a player with an incredible view range, say 500 meters, but poor camo will fail against a player with good view range, say 450 meters, and full camo.

In my eyes, camo is more important as a crew skill at higher tiers than repairs, but as you move your crew with you up the tiers and nurture them through mid-tiers until you hit tiers 8, 9 and 10, you need to start to work your Camo skills first. Then your view range skills. Once you regularly start playing tier 9 and 10 battles, you will realize how important the combo of view range and camo is. For low- and mid-tiers the need for repairs is actually more important as players at this level rarely have maxed their view range anyway. You could have reapairs at mid tiers and then retrain your crews to Camo at tier 7 with either Gold or credits. In my case, I have gone Camo first and skipped Repairs on those tank lines where I have prioritized camo. I didn't notice I missed repairs all that much anyway.

Edited by TankFullOfBourbon, Jul 21 2019 - 08:15.

UvBeenTrumped #3 Posted Jul 21 2019 - 12:23

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 64503 battles
  • [CRZY] CRZY

I guess that is all how you play the medium tank. If you are one of the players that is up front playing heavy support then I would say repairs. BUT if you are a stat padder that is just trying to get your stats better then camo would be could while you sit further away and snipe. 

But then it is all situational with camo too. It really does no good when you are on a city map and there is no place to snipe from.

All in all I would say repairs first then camo afterwards. That is unless you plan on doing the fire extinguisher. 

track_fire #4 Posted Jul 22 2019 - 03:19

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 6386 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT
It seems that in the tiers I'm playing I will keep the repairs skill to grind. And not really a sniping medium, more comfortable supporting the heavies, so looks like the M4 crew gets retrained. TankFullOfBourbon and UvBeenTrumped thank you both!

RC_1140 #5 Posted Jul 22 2019 - 04:39

Major

• Players
  • 63961 battles
  • [CLAWS] CLAWS
Depends on the tank and how you play. Paper tanks I would lean towards camo. If camo skill gets the tank over 30 camo rating its probably worth it (add to compare to check). If you never use bushes/view range mechanics its not worth it. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users