How to play Matilda IV correctly in this game?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Natsuiro_Fubuki #1 Posted Jul 22 2019 - 05:55

Private

• -Players-
  • 12619 battles
  • [WDNMD] WDNMD

Recently, I bought the Matilda IV and I hoped it's a fun tank to be played... But seems like it's not the case. I feel like that every single shot I made will just result in non-penetration(only a few of those that goes to the side armor will actually work). Then I tried to get some tips from online resources but most of them don't really help it (like someone talks about the"derpy gun") or they r just not updated. So I thought it would be better to just ask this on the forum, either how to play this tank "correctly" or I just need to forget about it (I mean, lower tiers is not really my thing, but sometimes when I feel a bit tired of higher tiers, like tier IXs or Xs, I would just play a few lower tiers for fun, and also during the events period like the "race for the moon" that's happening right now, it's not fun to play a tank when u actually can't do anything with it, it doesn't have to be decent but at least it should not be useless, right?) Thanks for anyone who's going to give me any ideas about this, even including the tips if someone told me to quit this thing, at least that's telling me to have less painful experience :)

Plus: don't say anything like "use gold", that's not helpful, I don't appreciate that kind of suggestion. Premium shell is not the only thing in this game, and also, the premium shell on this tank is actually useless, the pen of APCR on Matilda IV is 102 when a tier IV Matilda (the British one) has 121 pens of standard AP rounds :(

Gothraul #2 Posted Jul 22 2019 - 06:00

Major

• -Players-
  • 2426 battles
This is one of those premiums that is best to look at but don't play as it is far too obsolete and one of the worst even at that tier as it hasn't had any buff that I can remember in many years. At the best all it can do is spam apcr and hope for the best, maybe with a four or five perk crew it might work but don't count on it.

JakeTheMystic #3 Posted Jul 22 2019 - 06:14

Major

• Players
  • 24466 battles
  • [CUBE] CUBE

Yeah, its a very lackluster premium at tier 5 when compared to things like the T14, Ram II, Pz V/IV, M4, KV-1, ect. 

Basically just do better research before getting premiums unless you have a bunch of gold to throw away. 

tod914 #4 Posted Jul 22 2019 - 06:30

Major

• Players
  • 64246 battles
Doesn't that have a decent HE round on it for it's tier?  Haven't played it in a while.  Try popping off a couple of those and see how it goes.  Thought the aim bloom on that tank is pretty bad.  Try a Gun Laying Drive, Binos/Optics and rammer next time there is an equipment sale. 

HermanMonster #5 Posted Jul 22 2019 - 07:11

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 6474 battles

A lot of the older tier 5 premiums, T14, Matilda 4, Ram2, etc. Had their heyday when they could bully both tier 3 and 4. Then they were still okay at tier 5 , but tier 6 and above were a challenge. Power creep has really hurt the weaker ones.

The Matilda still has it's armor , which now many just spam apcr at it , it's still slow  and the best way to use the gun is to use apcr, unless your lucky with flanking shots. This tank is past it's heyday and odds are , since it's a tier 4 WG isn't going to fix it.

I'm not sure if I'd buy any of the tier 5 premiums these days unless it has at least 100 pen or more on it's standard round.

Edited by HermanMonster, Jul 22 2019 - 07:19.

moon111 #6 Posted Jul 22 2019 - 13:24

Major

• Players
  • 32346 battles

The Matilda IV has something like -14 degrees gun depression?

Get behind the appropriate ridge and play peek-a-boo.  Don't let the enemy choose the battleground.  They will come.

If you're lower tier, many times it's quite predictable where the softer targets will be coming from.

Think you're having a hard time with penetration? 

The enemy will have a lot harder time when most their shells either flying over-head or into the ground.

The Matilda IV played right is a very small target.   

Hull-down ambush.  

Kind of forgot I owned this.  Damn have to go to work.

Gothraul #7 Posted Jul 22 2019 - 15:39

Major

• -Players-
  • 2426 battles

View Postmoon111, on Jul 22 2019 - 13:24, said:

The Matilda IV has something like -14 degrees gun depression?

Get behind the appropriate ridge and play peek-a-boo.  Don't let the enemy choose the battleground.  They will come.

If you're lower tier, many times it's quite predictable where the softer targets will be coming from.

Think you're having a hard time with penetration? 

The enemy will have a lot harder time when most their shells either flying over-head or into the ground.

The Matilda IV played right is a very small target.   

Hull-down ambush.  

Kind of forgot I owned this.  Damn have to go to work.

Still negated due to the pen, may as well be shooting marsh mellows and orange peals. 

Trakks #8 Posted Yesterday, 08:55 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 3789 battles
The Matilda IV and Matilda Black Prince came from the time when premium vehicles were worse than their fully upgraded tech tree equivalents. You can't play them the same way. With bad penetration, you have to flank, aim for weak spots or load gold if you want to pen anything. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users