Unicum's Guide to the Worst WG Cashgrab EVER (KV-122) (Revision 7-22-19)

Guide KV-122

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

haxmachine21 #1 Posted Jul 23 2019 - 04:33

Captain

• -Players-
  • 14941 battles
  • [S_T_P] S_T_P

Revising the guide on the KV-122 for a number of reasons….but the main one is that the KV-122 is currently a Refer-A-Friend tank (As of the 1st Period. That will likely change in the 2nd Period). So, I figured I’d be for the best if newer players know how the KV-122 works before they get their hands on it. Enjoy!

The KV-122 is a Tier 7 Premium Russian Heavy tank. It is sold, in-game, for 5,920 Gold. On the surface, it appears to be aimed at the ‘veteran’ WoT community, as the KV-122 is a Tier 7 version of the old KV-1S that was around at Tier 6, and at that tier, the KV-1S was a dominating force in Random Battles, CW Skirmishes, and Team Battles. But the KV-122, at Tier 7, is a different beast……and has its own set of ups and downs.

PROS:

--Brutally powerful D-25T gun, common on Soviet heavies.

--Unusually mobile for a Soviet heavy.

--Can move up to 42KPH.

--Devastating HE rounds when used against wheelies, thin TDs, and lights.

--Decent crew trainer.

--Can make credits fairly easily.

--Relatively strong turret armor (IS turret).

CONS:

--Weak armor, as it is a KV-1S hull.

--Gun is incredibly inaccurate at range.

--Health is not equivalent to a Heavy tank’s health.

--No Pref. MM. Gets slaughtered at Tier 9.

--Tracks are fragile.

--Low RoF.

--Shells are somewhat slow.

If you’ve already seen the KV-122’s stats, you can easily tell that it is NOT a heavy tank, like the KV-1S that came before it. The KV-122 plays more akin to a medium tank. Thinly armored, unusually mobile, and a decent top speed make the KV-122 a heavy-hitting medium tank. The powerful D-25T gun can tear off huge chunks of health, and the HE rounds it has are devastating against any thinly-armored enemies, as they can penetrate over 60mm of armor. Combine that powerful gun with unusually good speed and mobility, and you get an interesting hybrid. You have the firepower to support heavy tanks if you want to, and the mobility to fight alongside medium tanks. However, your armor is your kryptonite, and your health is limited, so don’t play aggressively unless it’s warranted. Also, do NOT try and snipe with the KV-122….the gun, while better on paper than the IS-2's D-25T, is only marginally better, and still very inaccurate.

At top tier, the KV-122 is a powerful foe, and it can fit fairly well into either the heavy role, or the medium role. You can be somewhat aggressive, but keep an eye on your health. You have only as much health as a T20, and you have non-sufficient armor. If you want to tilt the balance with your heavier allies, travel with them. If you want to utilize your mobility and utterly wreck tanks like Cromwells and Comets, support your medium tank friends.

At medium tier, the KV-122 suddenly takes on a very different playstyle. Gone are the days when you could be a bit more bold than normal. Now, your armor is utterly irrelevant, and you gun’s pen isn’t looking so good. This is where playing with the mediums would be highly useful, as you still have the damage and pen necessary to make a big difference. If you still wish to support your heavier allies, take shots you are comfortable with, and don’t be afraid to use HE. Track your enemies for your allies when you can.

At bottom tier, the KV-122 is purely a medium tank. Aim to help your medium allies on their flank, and you should do just fine. Still, watch your health and armor….you don’t have much of either, even against medium tanks. So, play safely, and don’t take shots that could invite fast retaliation. It is better to keep your huge 122mm gun in the fight than lose it at the start by taking risky shots.

For modules, I would recommend Vents, Rammer, and Gun Laying Drive. These all help with making the D-25T more accurate and reload quicker.

For consumables, the usual suspects will do. First Aid, Repair Kit, and an AUTO Extinguisher. You will need this, as the KV-122 seems to catch fire somewhat easily…and the Auto Extinguisher gives a passive 10% chance reduction to catching fire.

As for ammunition, go with 12 AP, 11 APCR, and 5 HE.

As for crew skills, start off with Sixth Sense, Snap Shot, Smooth Ride, and Intuition. BiA should be next. Then, go with Call for Vengeance (Commander doubles as the Radio Operator), Deadeye, Safe Stowage, and Off-Road Driving. Then, go for Repairs, After that, it’s up to you.

Next up, some tips on making the KV-122 work:

--Always bear in mind that you are NOT a heavy tank, you are a medium tank.

--The KV-122 is more suited to being a 2nd-line tank when with heavies, so don’t go off on your own and get yourself killed without being useful.

--And finally, the KV-122 is at its best when in a platoon. You can platoon with medium tanks and keep up, or you can platoon with heavies and have the firepower to make a difference.

--BONUS: If you can’t make the KV-122 work, then set it aside and find yourself a tank you can work with. As Premium Tier 7 heavies go, the VK 45.03 is considered one of the best, and has a good combination of armor, mobility, and firepower. Or, if you want better armor while retaining that big gun, and want to stay in the Soviet line, go for the Premium IS-2 or the IS-2M.

Finally, here are some replay results:

--Insane mid-tier carry: http://wotreplays.eu...achine21-kv-122

--Mid tier carry: http://wotreplays.eu...achine21-kv-122

--4.6K damage, mid tier: http://wotreplays.eu...achine21-kv-122

I hope you guys enjoy this revised guide! And, should your recruit ask which tank to get when he finishes his contract, you can tell him what he’s getting into if he gets the KV-122! Have fun! :honoring:

Edited by haxmachine21, Jul 23 2019 - 04:39.

Bosch_3 #2 Posted Jul 23 2019 - 04:51

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 2543 battles
  • [FUBU] FUBU

Thanks for the update....good stuff.  

haxmachine21 #3 Posted Jul 23 2019 - 05:01

Captain

• -Players-
  • 14941 battles
  • [S_T_P] S_T_P

View PostBosch_3, on Jul 22 2019 - 21:51, said:

Thanks for the update....good stuff.  

Thanks. Figured it was about time I re-did the KV-122 guide. :)

WildNostrum #4 Posted Jul 23 2019 - 05:34

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 17569 battles
  • [USM] USM
Could you speak more about why you go with Intuition and Call for Vengeance? You may be the only player I have seen recommend those... they usually get panned hard. I've seen you recommend "off" skills/perks before. Would love to hear someone that supports them explain more. Thanks in advance.

haxmachine21 #5 Posted Jul 23 2019 - 05:48

Captain

• -Players-
  • 14941 battles
  • [S_T_P] S_T_P

View PostWildNostrum, on Jul 22 2019 - 22:34, said:

Could you speak more about why you go with Intuition and Call for Vengeance? You may be the only player I have seen recommend those... they usually get panned hard. I've seen you recommend "off" skills/perks before. Would love to hear someone that supports them explain more. Thanks in advance.

Intuition has been a favorite of mine for a while, and it usually pays out well in bottom tier games. You could be facing a Tier 9 heavy with your friends, and need to load APCR, or you may see a light tank or two moving in your direction, and you decide to load HE. And the chance of getting that instant, time-free reload has come in handy more than once. It helps your friends as well, as they don't need to cover for your 11 second reload if Intuition triggers.

As for Call for Vengeance, it is mostly for MoE purposes, as it helps get you more assistance damage if you get killed. Being able to keep an enemy spotted for longer helps the team out quite a bit as well, as arty can more accurately read an enemy's movement before they vanish, and the TDs can get in another shot or two. Should CfV not be to your liking, hit up Recon. :)

And yeah, I do recommend some usually-shunned skills. I'm not your usual player. :P

Edited by haxmachine21, Jul 23 2019 - 05:49.

WildNostrum #6 Posted Jul 23 2019 - 06:03

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 17569 battles
  • [USM] USM
Perfect, thanks for the response!

haxmachine21 #7 Posted Jul 23 2019 - 06:09

Captain

• -Players-
  • 14941 battles
  • [S_T_P] S_T_P

View PostWildNostrum, on Jul 22 2019 - 23:03, said:

Perfect, thanks for the response!

No problem! I hope I cleared up my unusual skill choices for you. :P

Tao_Te_Tomato #8 Posted Jul 23 2019 - 15:32

Major

• -Players-
  • 27431 battles
  • [TER] TER
I enjoy mine and even play it reasonably well.  Now to take these tips and see if I can play it even better!  Thanks!

mlinke #9 Posted Jul 23 2019 - 16:52

Captain

• Players
  • 52953 battles
  • [DD-S] DD-S
I would still get it. I did get it. Did not play it but I got it. Liked the old kv a lot. Like fast heavies. I Never survive even in more armored ones do this is ok.

Bosch_3 #10 Posted Jul 24 2019 - 00:31

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 2543 battles
  • [FUBU] FUBU
Would you recommend this load out for most heavies?

haxmachine21 #11 Posted Jul 24 2019 - 01:26

Captain

• -Players-
  • 14941 battles
  • [S_T_P] S_T_P

View PostBosch_3, on Jul 23 2019 - 17:31, said:

Would you recommend this load out for most heavies?

Yeah, I do. However, if you want to stave off arty, swap out the Gun Laying Drive for Spall Liner. It'll give some better survivability.

Edited by haxmachine21, Jul 24 2019 - 01:31.

Also tagged with Guide, KV-122

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users