World of Tanks Restarting Computer in Garage

restart crash windows garage

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

venser #1 Posted Jul 26 2019 - 19:33

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 21138 battles

Hello. I am experiencing an issue where World of Tanks will restart my PC shortly after getting to the garage screen or when starting to load a battle. Let me be clear: this has never happened mid-battle. Sometimes it will restart after a couple battles, sometimes just while waiting in the garage on loadup but always in the garage. The other day I was running WoT fine at first played some random battles but it would restart specifically on the Homefront menu after a game. I originally got it working by deleting the cache files and launching with reset graphics, but something still made it restart on the Homefront garage screen.

This is not a Windows crash, as there is no bluescreen, crash dump, or warnings. Simply during WoT the computer decides to reboot.

This is a newly built PC running Windows 10, an Intel i5-9600k, and RX 580 8GB graphics card, all new parts. The PSU is a 750W Corsair so I'm pretty sure that is good, as I shouldn't be taking near that amount. I've tried hard to troubleshoot this myself. It runs other games excellently, and has never done this on anything but WoT.

The fact that it is sometimes a fast crash and sometimes I can play multiple battles on ultra settings has led be to believe it is not a hardware or overheating problem, but an incompatibility error problem with WoT itself. I have already tried many things, such as: Re-installing the game, "repairing" the game, re-seating GPU, updating my GPU drivers, monitoring temps on MSI afterburner, running the game with full fans, running the game on lower settings, running it on different resolution. Nothing helped, the only thing that made a slight difference was tinkering with the game launch settings. Help would be greatly appreciated, as one of the main games I wanted to play on this new PC is World of Tanks.

Edited by venser, Jul 26 2019 - 19:35.

Helpless #2 Posted Jul 26 2019 - 19:39

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 5970 battles
badusb......

PapioTitan #3 Posted Jul 26 2019 - 19:40

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 45550 battles
Note the exact time of the reboot and then check the windows system and application logs in the event viewer. They might give you a clue as to whats causing it.

Fat_Bob_1 #4 Posted Jul 26 2019 - 19:49

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 25092 battles
  • [INSNE] INSNE
I had the same thing happen today. Just as I was going into a battle...reset. Came right back and went into the battle. ? I was just playing Random when it happened.

venser #5 Posted Jul 26 2019 - 20:41

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 21138 battles
Using reset graphics settings, I played a couple random battles with no problem. Went to Homefront menu and immediately had the issue. Event viewer showed no errors except Kernel-power 41 (unexpected shutdown)

PapioTitan #6 Posted Jul 26 2019 - 20:49

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 45550 battles
Python log show anything?

venser #7 Posted Jul 26 2019 - 21:43

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 21138 battles

A crapton of Warning: UnloadMovie reports. I'm not sure how to interpret these logs or if anything looks troublesome. Here's an example of the 1st crash this morning. Windows error at 11:08:26, I'm assuming it took that long to boot up and realize it didn't shut down properly.

Looking at the times of various crashes doesn't seem to reveal a distinct pattern in the python log.

Spoiler

Here are two more crashes (the Homefront ones, the first was just launched without reset graphics)

Spoiler

Spoiler

If anyone can interpret them I would be supremely appreciative. In each the crash would occur after the last line in the log.

Edit: checked the WoT log on my brother's laptop. He doesn't have any unloadmovie warnings and less warnings in general. Hope this info is helpful

Edited by venser, Jul 26 2019 - 22:19.

PapioTitan #8 Posted Jul 27 2019 - 00:21

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 45550 battles

I have the UNLOADMOVIE warnings also and I'm running fine. Nothing jumps out at me from the rest of the log. It sound like you covered the basics. You could try these routines:

CHKDSK /f /r

sfc /scannow

DISM 

Run during downtime/overnight. Plenty of directions available on the web if your not familiar with these repair scripts. They saved my butt a few times. Also google for the kernel power issues.

GL

Buttknuckle #9 Posted Jul 27 2019 - 01:22

Major

• Players
  • 52311 battles
  • [GOONZ] GOONZ

WOT isn't restarting your computer. That's a windows thing. I suspect that WOT is crashing and you have windows set to automatic restart. It will look like it is simply restarting, ie. you wont notice the crash. 1st thing to try is disable auto restart (google if you dont know how). This might not fix the crashing but at least this way you'll know its a crash.

Also, check window event viewer. Type "event viewer" into cortana and it will pop up. Check the error logs there.

venser #10 Posted Jul 28 2019 - 01:19

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 21138 battles

Thanks for the advice.

I unchecked automatic restart but it still behaved the exact same way, no errors or freezing just restarting.

Scannow revealed a couple corrupted files it couldn't fix. In the end I opted for a Windows 10 re-install. Unfortunately nothing changed and World of Tanks is behaving the exact same way. I think i'll just wait out an update or two, and stick with the random battles for now using the trick I did to get it to work. It's not the first time I've had game issues I'd just wait out, but since this one looked more serious I thought I'd investigate it more.

I'll also keep looking into the kernel-power 41 issues, seems like it could be a driver-related issue.

chubakka7_usa #11 Posted Aug 22 2019 - 20:00

Private

• -Players-
  • 0 battles
I am having the exact same issue for a month. Did you solve your problem? Actually, i am running out of fantasy to google new solutions, because i think i have already tried everything.

venser #12 Posted Aug 29 2019 - 00:04

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 21138 battles

Problem is fixed.

I solved it by turning on my motherboard's game boost, which includes increasing CPU clock, as well as turning up CPU and RAM voltage. There was another guy online somewhere who said try turning up the RAM voltage in BIOS menu so I just decided to try the performance boost option (MSI motherboard) and it's been running great. I was fed up because the Steel Hunter menu was causing crashes just like the Homefront did and I actually want to play this game mode. My guess would be these new menus are not optimized fully and likely drain the memory; computer probably shuts down having too conservative a power setting.

Also tagged with restart, crash, windows, garage

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users