Premium World of tanks

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

Vitamine_D #1 Posted Jul 31 2019 - 18:57

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 1387 battles
  • [SFMD] SFMD

I've been thinking of becoming a premium member after playing for 3 years on a free account. After looking at the prices on the store I can't say I'd be willing to pay that much given how much content the game has compared to other games with monthly sub fees. What's everyone else's opinion on the price?

Here is some data on the cost in CAD $:

360 days = 121.58 not even a full year ($123.27 for 365 days )

= $10.13  per month 

180 days = 72.44 

= $12.10 per month

I won't do the rest of the options as obviously they get more expensive per month.

Compared to other monthly sub fees games that offer more content such as Runescape at ~$8 a month, FFXIV at ~$13 a month and WoW at ~$15 a month I find it hard to find a reason to become a premium member. 

In my case I only play world of tanks and do not play any other wargaming title so the argument that the premium account caries over to the other titles does not apply to me.

What are your thoughts? 

Edited by Vitamine_D, Jul 31 2019 - 19:34.

MagillaGuerilla #2 Posted Jul 31 2019 - 19:02

Major

• -Players-
  • 25857 battles
Well, tee time at my local golf course is $ 20.00 a day, so I guess WOT is a bargain, but still more frustrating than golf.

ATruk #3 Posted Jul 31 2019 - 19:05

Sergeant

• Players
  • 56367 battles
I also played free for more than a year. Then I decided to spend to enhance my enjoyment. Out of all the hobbies I have chosen, this is the cheapest. 

Augerr #4 Posted Jul 31 2019 - 19:12

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 21401 battles
  • [SCYWG] SCYWG

Vitamin D not knowing your disposable income, it's hard to say if it is right for you.  However, if you play 3-4 times a week for a few hours each time, I'd say it is well worth it.  If you want to try different tanks, then it makes the grind so much easier, particularly when you add in the bonus XP and credits you get from boosters.  

Without a premium account it takes forever plus one day to get to the next tank.

No I am not a Wargaming employee either.

GenPanzer #5 Posted Jul 31 2019 - 19:21

Major

• Players
  • 44538 battles
  • [EFFIT] EFFIT

View PostVitamine_D, on Jul 31 2019 - 12:57, said:

I've been thinking of becoming a premium member after playing for 3 years on a free account. After looking at the prices on the store I can't say I'd be willing to pay that much given how much content the game has compared to other games with monthly sub fees. What's everyone else's opinion on the price?

Here is some data on the cost and conversion to CAD $, since I am from Canada, as of post date:

360 days = 121.58USD not even a full year ($123.27 for 365 days )

= 10.13 USD per month ($13.31 CAD)

180 days = 72.44USD 

= 12.10 USD per month ($15.90 CAD)

I won't do the rest of the options as obviously they get more expensive per month.

Compared to other monthly sub fees games that offer more content such as Runescape at ~$8 a month, FFXIV at ~$13 a month and WoW at ~$15 a month I find it hard to find a reason to become a premium member. 

In my case I only play world of tanks and do not play any other wargaming title so the argument that the premium account caries over to the other titles does not apply to me.

What are your thoughts? 

Don't breakdown the cost by time. Break it down based on battles you will play in the time you have premium.

Just figure out how many battles/hr or battles/day you will average and go from there. Then you'll really know if it's worth it or not. 

MajorRenegade #6 Posted Jul 31 2019 - 19:21

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 30395 battles
wait till New year eve or black Friday. a year premium often go on sale for half off

GeorgePreddy #7 Posted Jul 31 2019 - 19:25

Major

• Players
  • 14680 battles

Don`t know where you got your figures, OP... but I just checked the Premium Shop and the current, normal rate for Premium time is USD 96.49 for 360 days or 97.83 for a year.

That`s only $8.15 U.S. per month at full price.

I buy Prem time by the year and once I got it on sale for $43 for 360 days ($3.63 per month).

I never pay more than 85% of normal price and that is 6.93 per month.

Heck of a deal, really.  Cheapest hobby I ever had, especially because I use it a great amount.

Vitamine_D #8 Posted Jul 31 2019 - 19:26

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 1387 battles
  • [SFMD] SFMD

View PostAugerr, on Jul 31 2019 - 19:12, said:

Vitamin D not knowing your disposable income, it's hard to say if it is right for you.  However, if you play 3-4 times a week for a few hours each time, I'd say it is well worth it.  If you want to try different tanks, then it makes the grind so much easier, particularly when you add in the bonus XP and credits you get from boosters.  

Without a premium account it takes forever plus one day to get to the next tank.

No I am not a Wargaming employee either.

I wouldn't be considering it if income was the issue. Yes premium account makes the game a lot more enjoyable but my issue is the game doesn't offer an increase in content for the price of the membership. It only increase the time you reach content at but premium or non premium the same content is available. As an example if having a premium account gave you access to new maps or you were given a premium tank that would count as new content. 

golruul #9 Posted Jul 31 2019 - 19:31

Captain

• Players
  • 22118 battles

I never buy it at full price.

Sometimes there's a sale for a year's worth at $50 or so.  If not, then I buy loot boxes, accumulate gold, then buy a year's worth (at a discount as always) with that gold.

Either way when I get it it comes out to $4 a month or so.

ThePigSheFlies #10 Posted Jul 31 2019 - 19:32

Major

• Players
  • 74352 battles
  • [SIMP] SIMP

$99 USD is the standard price of 25k gold.

360 days of premium time currently costs 24k gold.  (literally looking at it right now).

often times one can get discounts on gold of 15% or more depending on payment method (several times per year, amazon pay, paypal, etc.give 15% bonus gold when used as payment method)

based on the above, your math is off.

that being said, the main thing premium time is good for is if you are grinding multiple lines, and/or crews and want to also grind credits whilst doing so.  Since last fall I have not had a regular premium account, only having it on and off based upon mission completion.  I'm now down to 35m credits after buying a few tanks, and using crew books to boost up some newer crews.

at this stage in the game's maturation my frustration over the wearisomely boring funnel maps makes it difficult for me to contemplate financially supporting the game on an annual basis.

Vitamine_D #11 Posted Jul 31 2019 - 19:32

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 1387 battles
  • [SFMD] SFMD

View PostGeorgePreddy, on Jul 31 2019 - 19:25, said:

Don`t know where you got your figures, OP... but I just checked the Premium Shop and the current, normal rate for Premium time is USD 96.49 for 360 days or 97.83 for a year.

That`s only $8.15 U.S. per month at full price.

I buy Prem time by the year and once I got it on sale for $43 for 360 days ($3.63 per month).

I never pay more than 85% of normal price and that is 6.93 per month.

Heck of a deal, really.  Cheapest hobby I ever had, especially because I use it a great amount.

You are right it appears that prices I'm shown are already in CAD I will edit my post. But my argument doesn't change, $ 10.12 a month is still in my opinion too high since no new content is given to you.

GeorgePreddy #12 Posted Jul 31 2019 - 19:34

Major

• Players
  • 14680 battles

View PostVitamine_D, on Jul 31 2019 - 15:26, said:

I wouldn't be considering it if income was the issue. Yes premium account makes the game a lot more enjoyable but my issue is the game doesn't offer an increase in content for the price of the membership. It only increase the time you reach content at but premium or non premium the same content is available. As an example if having a premium account gave you access to new maps or you were given a premium tank that would count as new content. 

In my case, constantly having prem time was a BIG factor in my being able to save up 200 million credits, and when the Black Market came around, I was in a position to purchase two tier 10 tanks, a tier 8 tank and some others for credits.

That`s extra content I would not have if I didn`t run a Prem account.

TAR_b #13 Posted Jul 31 2019 - 19:35

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 31747 battles

View PostGeorgePreddy, on Jul 31 2019 - 13:25, said:

I think that is with the 10% off coupon --- at least that is what my Premium Shop is showing for that price.  OOPS I WAS WRONG NEVERMIND -- ;)

with the coupon, $86 for a year isn't bad at all ($7 a month, less than $2 a week).... i did pick up a year for dirt cheap two thanksgivings ago, have never seen them make it that low, can't remember how low it was but it felt like they made a mistake it was so low... anyone remember the price of that premium that one thanksgiving?  it was crazy cheap.

Augerr #14 Posted Jul 31 2019 - 19:38

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 21401 battles
  • [SCYWG] SCYWG

View PostVitamine_D, on Jul 31 2019 - 19:26, said:

A premium account makes it easier to get higher tier tanks, which in turn makes it easier to fulfill missions, which does get you in game stuff.  Also, it allows you to delete one more map you do not like to play.  It also allows you to buy more premium ammo, to win more games.  The addition of the 5 battle xp booster is also relevant. 

I know guys who are not on premium account and struggle to accumulate credits to buy tanks and consumables.  I'm not a very good player but I do not have that problem because I run a premium account.

Edited by Augerr, Jul 31 2019 - 19:41.

Vitamine_D #15 Posted Jul 31 2019 - 19:39

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 1387 battles
  • [SFMD] SFMD

View PostGenPanzer, on Jul 31 2019 - 19:21, said:

Don't breakdown the cost by time. Break it down based on battles you will play in the time you have premium.

Just figure out how many battles/hr or battles/day you will average and go from there. Then you'll really know if it's worth it or not. 

If I do it like that I would never find any sub fee worth it since I have limited down time. That's why I'm look at how much extra you are given for being a premium member and in this case my opinion is that it's not enough for a $10 a month fee

GeorgePreddy #16 Posted Jul 31 2019 - 19:41

Major

• Players
  • 14680 battles

View PostTAR_b, on Jul 31 2019 - 15:35, said:

I think that is with the 10% off coupon --- at least that is what my Premium Shop is showing for that price.  I WAS WRONG NEVERMIND ;

No problem, I made sure it didn`t require a coupon.      :)

Buying Prem time is the best value for money spent in WoT... some folks just don`t understand how much difference it makes for just ~19 cents per day.

TAR_b #17 Posted Jul 31 2019 - 19:41

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 31747 battles

View PostVitamine_D, on Jul 31 2019 - 13:32, said:

You are right it appears that prices I'm shown are already in CAD I will edit my post. But my argument doesn't change, $ 10.12 a month is still in my opinion too high since no new content is given to you.

What are you wanting for new content?  In a given year there are new tank lines, new maps, new features and updates to the game... I mean, I wouldn't call that "no new content"

Garandster #18 Posted Jul 31 2019 - 19:43

Captain

• -Players-
  • 5971 battles

For me the price for 360 days is $96.49 USD, I can apply the 20% coupon from Tank Rewards bring it to $77.19, so roughly $6.43 a month. If you can I would wait till you can get a Tank Rewards 20% coupon to buy a year.

Premium account makes the grind easier/quicker and you may want to buy just a month to give it a try and see how you feel before investing in a year. If you play the game 3 or more days a week I would say it's worth it IMO, but it depends on what other games you play and how much time you think you will get out of the game for the amount you are investing in.

For example if I want to play GTA V online with my friends, I first bought the game of course, and also have to pay $60 a year for PSN Plus to play with them and get access to all the new content for the game. I beieve that WoW works the same where you buy the expansion and then pay for service to play the content. A nice advantage to WoT is that you have access to the same content whether you pay or not, so if you enjoy the game but can't justify spending on it you don't lose out on any content, you just have to grind more. A nice advantage to WoT is that you have access to the same content whether you pay or not, so if you enjoy the game but can't justify spending on it you don't lose out on any content, you just have to grind more. If you have played F2P to this point, pick up a month of premium account and see if you personally feel that it is worth the benefit or not.

Vitamine_D #19 Posted Jul 31 2019 - 19:43

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 1387 battles
  • [SFMD] SFMD

View PostAugerr, on Jul 31 2019 - 19:38, said:

A premium account makes it easier to get higher tier tanks, which in turn makes it easier to fulfill missions, which does get you in game stuff.  Also, it allows you to delete one more map you do not like to play.  It also allows you to buy more premium ammo, to win more games.  The addition of the 5 battle xp booster is also relevant. 

I know guys who are not on premium account and struggle to accumulate credits to buy tanks and consumables.  I'm not a very good player but I do not have that problem because I run a premium account.

I do struggle with not having enough credits to buy the next tank however I own 2 premium tanks and dont mind farming credits that way. As for prem rounds I rarely use them so it's not a big issue. As for making things easier, that doesn't mean more content only reaching existing content faster.

Lab #20 Posted Jul 31 2019 - 19:43

Private

• -Players-
  • 8668 battles
  • [HOGAN] HOGAN
They have a monthly deal with 30 days premium a tank with crew and garage space for 12.99 , I bought that many many times . Be sure if you already have the tank to sell it first . A new garage space every month is just way to helpful :P 

Also tagged with Premium, World of tanks

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users