Jump to content


Anti- New player


  • Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

Missedtake #1 Posted Aug 09 2019 - 07:50

    Private

  • -Players-
  • 500 battles
  • 9
  • [FUBU] FUBU
  • Member since:
    07-27-2019

I feel as wargaming makes this game anti- new player. They give basic tutorials that don't cover half the game and then throw them into battles against people who have been playing for years, with full crew skills and knowledge of the maps, crew skills, and full consumables. This is an example of a game that doesn't know how to grow its new player base. Instead of fostering growth by steadily allowing the player to grow, it just kicks it out of the nest and says " good luck please spend money". For those that do not believe this game is dying, I'm sorry. But those that are aware of the low amount of log ins and the merging of US servers, that should be signal enough. It just sucks. There is a lot of potential here. I like the concepts, I like the tanks and the history. But, If Wargaming refuses to change to allow players to not get instantly frustrated by invisible tanks with over 100% crew skils at lvl 1 and 2. And allow them to just lose and lose and lose, without teaching them anything about the game. They will continue to lose players. I gave this game a chance again, and it's only gone downhill in the last 6-7 years. Please do something Wargaming, I want to love you. I just cannot. Do something to make this game playable for people who don't have all the time in the world to sink into this. Let them enjoy themselves without being shredded for trying. You might make a bunch of money now with your policies, but that will not matter much in a couple years when this game is dead and nobody spends a dime. Now it is your chance. Please change. This game is just not friendly to someone that is trying to play and learn.

 



thandiflight #2 Posted Aug 09 2019 - 08:27

    Major

  • Players
  • 85803 battles
  • 4,360
  • [SIMP] SIMP
  • Member since:
    07-10-2011

In Mother Russia YOU are the game and the game plays you.

 

In all seriousness I do not think there is an experienced player in the game that does not think that this game is particularly harsh on new players. It is a game that is easy to play, but not easy to play well. There are very experienced players who despite playing numerous games are still simply horrible. What you need is an experienced player as a friend who can actually teach you the nuances of the game. The other thing to do is watch videos on Youtube or streams on Twitch. Although these games are high tier generally what you should take from them is where they go and what they do rather than which tank they are playing. This will give you good basic mechanics. Then practice at tier IV or V (not below these tiers as the game-play is not great at lower tiers). I'd recommend the T-34 with the 57mm and the KV-1 as your practice tanks.



Missedtake #3 Posted Aug 09 2019 - 08:33

    Private

  • -Players-
  • 500 battles
  • 9
  • [FUBU] FUBU
  • Member since:
    07-27-2019

View Postthandiflight, on Aug 09 2019 - 08:27, said:

In Mother Russia YOU are the game and the game plays you.

 

In all seriousness I do not think there is an experienced player in the game that does not think that this game is particularly harsh on new players. It is a game that is easy to play, but not easy to play well. There are very experienced players who despite playing numerous games are still simply horrible. What you need is an experienced player as a friend who can actually teach you the nuances of the game. The other thing to do is watch videos on Youtube or streams on Twitch. Although these games are high tier generally what you should take from them is where they go and what they do rather than which tank they are playing. This will give you good basic mechanics. Then practice at tier IV or V (not below these tiers as the game-play is not great at lower tiers). I'd recommend the T-34 with the 57mm and the KV-1 as your practice tanks.

I agree with you, it takes time to learn, im not saying it is impossible. But on my original account I have all my tanks I grinded, but I decided to see how it was to play as a new player and its exceptionally brutal. How do you expect new players to compete?



Pipinghot #4 Posted Aug 09 2019 - 11:23

    Major

  • Players
  • 25960 battles
  • 10,168
  • [IOC] IOC
  • Member since:
    11-20-2011

View PostMissedtake, on Aug 09 2019 - 01:50, said:

it just kicks it out of the nest and says " good luck please spend money". For those that do not believe this game is dying, I'm sorry. But those that are aware of the low amount of log ins and the merging of US servers, that should be signal enough.

You're right about the brutality of the game, and it is unfriendly to new (U.S.) players because we're used to a different way of thinking. Eastern game design is much more "sink or swim" than we're accustomed to, and the core audience for this game is Eastern (RU, China, and to a lesser degree EU). Gaming culture is different in different parts of the world, and this is an Eastern game.

 

That doesn't mean I'm telling you that you should enjoy it, there's nothing in the world that says you have to like Wargaming or WoT, but you do have to understand that they're not going to change their game philosophy for the NA server. We have always been far behind the "big three" servers. Even in NA the game is not "dying", at least not quickly or soon. A few people have been crying chicken little about the NA server "dying" since 2011 and none of them have been right yet. Sure, the numbers have gone down slowly but that happens to every game over time. "Smaller number" and "dying" are not the same thing. EveryQuest still exists, a game can have smaller numbers and still live on for a very long time.

 

But really none of that matters to you, the only thing that matters is whether you like the fact that this game is more difficult than most, whether you like the additional challenge of an Eastern style game. WoT is harder, WoT is more brutal, WoT is more challenging - the question you have to ask yourself is whether you want and enjoy that level of challenge.



MacDaddyMatty #5 Posted Aug 09 2019 - 12:31

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 31211 battles
  • 6,891
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY
  • Member since:
    10-07-2016

https://www.clandday.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=9

 

Periodically I still refer to this stuff because it's easy to forget the intricacies.



Trakks #6 Posted Aug 09 2019 - 12:51

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 3789 battles
  • 598
  • Member since:
    11-24-2011

They give you a series of missions that let's you choose a free tier 6 tech tree tank, but if you don't go through the lower tiers first you won't know how to play in tier 6. It's as bad as a brand new player buying a high tier premium tank without ever even playing tier 1.

 

Take the free  Tier 6 tank, but don't expect to do well in it until you have familiarized yourself with the lower tiers and know how to play or else you'll just run out and get yourself destroyed by invisible enemies 30 seconds out of the spawn point.



GWyatt #7 Posted Aug 09 2019 - 13:46

    Staff sergeant

  • -Players-
  • 3904 battles
  • 385
  • [VAN] VAN
  • Member since:
    11-23-2015

View PostMissedtake, on Aug 09 2019 - 01:50, said:

I feel as wargaming makes this game anti- new player. I agree that it is difficult for the new player.

 

They give basic tutorials that don't cover half the game and then throw them into battles against people who have been playing for years, with full crew skills and knowledge of the maps, crew skills, and full consumables.

The boot camp they have now is sooo much better than what they had when I started, which was better than what game vets had when they started. I agree it still needs more.

 

This is an example of a game that doesn't know how to grow its new player base. Instead of fostering growth by steadily allowing the player to grow, it just kicks it out of the nest and says " good luck please spend money". For those that do not believe this game is dying, I'm sorry. But those that are aware of the low amount of log ins and the merging of US servers, that should be signal enough. It just sucks. There is a lot of potential here. The game has been dying since it was released; the number of players has gone down some since I started.

 

I like the concepts, I like the tanks and the history. But, If Wargaming refuses to change to allow players to not get instantly frustrated by invisible tanks with over 100% crew skils at lvl 1 and 2. And allow them to just lose and lose and lose, without teaching them anything about the game. They will continue to lose players. I gave this game a chance again, and it's only gone downhill in the last 6-7 years. Here, I disagree that the game has gone downhill. Since I started; gone are the days of being 3-4 tiers down when playing lights; gone are severely mismatched tiers and tank types in a battle; no longer is there unlimited arty in a battle; different maps were added; new nations were added; new games modes were added; boot camp; additional ways to ease grinds; reusable consumables; and more. Is there still room for improvement, sure. 

 

Please do something Wargaming, I want to love you. I just cannot. Do something to make this game playable for people who don't have all the time in the world to sink into this. Let them enjoy themselves without being shredded for trying. You might make a bunch of money now with your policies, but that will not matter much in a couple years when this game is dead and nobody spends a dime. Now it is your chance. Please change. This game is just not friendly to someone that is trying to play and learn. I strongly agree that the new player experience needs a drastic facelift; the devs have stated that work needs done. It can't come soon enough.

 

 



Ta_Hun_Kwai #8 Posted Aug 09 2019 - 14:16

    Captain

  • -Players-
  • 17058 battles
  • 1,545
  • Member since:
    07-21-2014

View PostMissedtake, on Aug 08 2019 - 22:50, said:

I feel as wargaming makes this game anti- new player. They give basic tutorials that don't cover half the game and then throw them into battles against people who have been playing for years, with full crew skills and knowledge of the maps, crew skills, and full consumables. This is an example of a game that doesn't know how to grow its new player base. Instead of fostering growth by steadily allowing the player to grow, it just kicks it out of the nest and says " good luck please spend money". For those that do not believe this game is dying, I'm sorry. But those that are aware of the low amount of logins and the merging of US servers, that should be signal enough. It just sucks. There is a lot of potential here. I like the concepts, I like the tanks and the history. But, If Wargaming refuses to change to allow players to not get instantly frustrated by invisible tanks with over 100% crew skils at lvl 1 and 2. And allow them to just lose and lose and lose, without teaching them anything about the game. They will continue to lose players. I gave this game a chance again, and it's only gone downhill in the last 6-7 years. Please do something Wargaming, I want to love you. I just cannot. Do something to make this game playable for people who don't have all the time in the world to sink into this. Let them enjoy themselves without being shredded for trying. You might make a bunch of money now with your policies, but that will not matter much in a couple of years when this game is dead and nobody spends a dime. Now it is your chance. Please change. This game is just not friendly to someone that is trying to play and learn.

 

ok I see you are 13 days into the game there are 3 stages to the tutorial if you look in missions tab they should be at the top of your screen the problem is that the game doesn't force you to play them so it doesn't show you how the tech tree and other game systems work



Hellsfog #9 Posted Aug 09 2019 - 14:18

    Major

  • Players
  • 37807 battles
  • 6,610
  • [VILIN] VILIN
  • Member since:
    06-22-2011

View Postthandiflight, on Aug 09 2019 - 02:27, said:

In Mother Russia YOU are the game and the game plays you.

 

In all seriousness I do not think there is an experienced player in the game that does not think that this game is particularly harsh on new players. It is a game that is easy to play, but not easy to play well. There are very experienced players who despite playing numerous games are still simply horrible. What you need is an experienced player as a friend who can actually teach you the nuances of the game. The other thing to do is watch videos on Youtube or streams on Twitch. Although these games are high tier generally what you should take from them is where they go and what they do rather than which tank they are playing. This will give you good basic mechanics. Then practice at tier IV or V (not below these tiers as the game-play is not great at lower tiers). I'd recommend the T-34 with the 57mm and the KV-1 as your practice tanks.

This is true and I would add that

Play the game for your enjoyment. Try to improve but don't make yourself crazy about stats.  



ChaseR392 #10 Posted Aug 09 2019 - 14:39

    First lieutenant

  • -Players-
  • 7449 battles
  • 610
  • Member since:
    04-20-2018

View PostTa_Hun_Kwai, on Aug 09 2019 - 14:16, said:

ok I see you are 13 days into the game there are 3 stages to the tutorial if you look in missions tab they should be at the top of your screen the problem is that the game doesn't force you to play them so it doesn't show you how the tech tree and other game systems work


He isn't a new player.... his second post indicates he has at least 1 other account.

 

I don't see the reason to "start over" after to putting in the effort to grind tanks at least one time before.

 

Most, if not all players agree that the new player experience needs improvement. But I have yet to see a single one of these posts mention what WG has been doing to recently to improve the situation.... blueprint fragments to ease the grind, merit drops giving out free equipment, easy missions for consumables, directives, boosters, etc. Could they do more? Yes, are they doing nothing? No....

 

Instead we the "WG change now or your finished" threats from players who are usually re-rolls masquerading as new players. 

 

At some point people are going to have to realize that new players are going to have to accept some level of initial difficulty when playing a 10 year old multiplayer game. Dumbing down the game to cater to the "two-week at best attention span crowd" or punitive actions against long-time players are not going to help ensure the long-term survival of the game either.

 

 



the_dude_76 #11 Posted Aug 09 2019 - 14:45

    Major

  • Players
  • 33778 battles
  • 4,813
  • [GSRM] GSRM
  • Member since:
    12-27-2011

View PostMissedtake, on Aug 09 2019 - 01:33, said:

I agree with you, it takes time to learn, im not saying it is impossible. But on my original account I have all my tanks I grinded, but I decided to see how it was to play as a new player and its exceptionally brutal. How do you expect new players to compete?

 

You've got less than 100 battles at tiers 2 & 3 on this account so please don't pretend that you've got any idea how "brutal" this game is for new players. And the fact that you can't manage better than a 45% WR on a reroll account seems to indicate that your experience with the "brutality" of this game has more to do with your inability to play it than it does anything else..



YANKEE137 #12 Posted Aug 09 2019 - 14:55

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 13842 battles
  • 6,390
  • [6-ACR] 6-ACR
  • Member since:
    08-17-2015

And now they get Dog Tags thrown in their faces. Smooth.

 

Really the game at 1-5 needs a complete overhaul for the sake of new players but Minsk makes all their money on tiers 6-10. They'd seemingly rather develop new games then care for the game that put them on the map. 

They had that ancient army game that folded after two years of development. Their Master of Orion reboot flopped hard.  They are right now working on a fantasy RPG which looks like a phone game from ten years ago, and finally Caliber, a first person shooter because there aren't enough of those already.  

 

I'd say:

Prune the tech three from 1-5. For example, why direct people to invest in grinding an awful generic light tank that teaches them nothing about actual light tank play style? It's teaching bad habits.

Allow crew transfers for free to get people used to building skills.

Update the premiums  for new people so they can enjoy staying down low longer.

Give the Stug IV out earlier in the game.  By the time most earn it they've already got the Stug III which is a better TD.

 


Edited by YANKEE137, Aug 09 2019 - 15:04.


GeorgePreddy #13 Posted Aug 09 2019 - 15:40

    Major

  • Players
  • 14680 battles
  • 13,065
  • Member since:
    04-11-2013

Yo... new playahs gotsta pay they dues.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 



Missedtake #14 Posted Aug 09 2019 - 16:51

    Private

  • -Players-
  • 500 battles
  • 9
  • [FUBU] FUBU
  • Member since:
    07-27-2019

View PostChaseR392, on Aug 09 2019 - 14:39, said:


He isn't a new player.... his second post indicates he has at least 1 other account.

 

I don't see the reason to "start over" after to putting in the effort to grind tanks at least one time before.

 

Most, if not all players agree that the new player experience needs improvement. But I have yet to see a single one of these posts mention what WG has been doing to recently to improve the situation.... blueprint fragments to ease the grind, merit drops giving out free equipment, easy missions for consumables, directives, boosters, etc. Could they do more? Yes, are they doing nothing? No....

 

Instead we the "WG change now or your finished" threats from players who are usually re-rolls masquerading as new players. 

 

At some point people are going to have to realize that new players are going to have to accept some level of initial difficulty when playing a 10 year old multiplayer game. Dumbing down the game to cater to the "two-week at best attention span crowd" or punitive actions against long-time players are not going to help ensure the long-term survival of the game either.

 

 

I have multiple accounts, and im not masquerading. Just was testing the waters. Im an average player at best anyhow. And I wasn't threatening either. This games population is plummeting, they need to do something to improve the new player experience. Thats just it. 



Missedtake #15 Posted Aug 09 2019 - 16:52

    Private

  • -Players-
  • 500 battles
  • 9
  • [FUBU] FUBU
  • Member since:
    07-27-2019

View Postthe_dude_76, on Aug 09 2019 - 14:45, said:

 

You've got less than 100 battles at tiers 2 & 3 on this account so please don't pretend that you've got any idea how "brutal" this game is for new players. And the fact that you can't manage better than a 45% WR on a reroll account seems to indicate that your experience with the "brutality" of this game has more to do with your inability to play it than it does anything else..

not my first account, you should read all the comments before you post stupid retorts.



Missedtake #16 Posted Aug 09 2019 - 16:53

    Private

  • -Players-
  • 500 battles
  • 9
  • [FUBU] FUBU
  • Member since:
    07-27-2019

View PostGWyatt, on Aug 09 2019 - 13:46, said:

 

This by far is the best response, thank you. Those are some good points for sure.



Hellsfog #17 Posted Aug 09 2019 - 17:30

    Major

  • Players
  • 37807 battles
  • 6,610
  • [VILIN] VILIN
  • Member since:
    06-22-2011

View PostMissedtake, on Aug 09 2019 - 10:51, said:

I have multiple accounts, and im not masquerading. Just was testing the waters. Im an average player at best anyhow. And I wasn't threatening either. This games population is plummeting, they need to do something to improve the new player experience. Thats just it. 

How many accounts are there in "multiple accounts?" You're free to do as you like but, out of curiosity, why would you have multiple accounts?



the_dude_76 #18 Posted Aug 09 2019 - 19:02

    Major

  • Players
  • 33778 battles
  • 4,813
  • [GSRM] GSRM
  • Member since:
    12-27-2011

View PostMissedtake, on Aug 09 2019 - 09:52, said:

not my first account, you should read all the comments before you post stupid retorts.

 

I did read all of your comments, that's why I specified "on this account". I also specifically mention the fact that it is a reroll account, do you not know what a "reroll" is??

 

You claimed you started this account to see what the new player experience was like so the number of battles that you have on any other account is obviously irrelevant. Sorry you needed all of this explained to you, I forget that even the painfully obvious alludes some of the people here...



ChaseR392 #19 Posted Aug 09 2019 - 21:03

    First lieutenant

  • -Players-
  • 7449 battles
  • 610
  • Member since:
    04-20-2018

View PostMissedtake, on Aug 09 2019 - 16:51, said:

I have multiple accounts, and im not masquerading. Just was testing the waters. Im an average player at best anyhow. And I wasn't threatening either. This games population is plummeting, they need to do something to improve the new player experience. Thats just it. 


I didn't say YOU were masquerading... but your little "feedback" post is pretty typical the weekly re-roll drivel posted on this forum. You also didn't indicate you were "giving the game another chance" until the bottom third of your post.

 

You didn't offer any solutions as to how you would address this issue. You also completely fail to acknowledge the improvements WG has made in recent months in regards to easing the grind and giving out freebies to FTP players.

 

Which really means this thread is just you taking a cheap shot at players with more experience with a thinly (very thinly BTW) veiled reference to "Seal Clubbers".



Das_Reaper_1 #20 Posted Aug 10 2019 - 18:12

    Staff sergeant

  • -Players-
  • 12379 battles
  • 496
  • [_BK_] _BK_
  • Member since:
    03-17-2017

Just a thought but shouldn't basic training be made with a minimum 200 battles against slowly upgrading bots where new players could get a grasp of the game while building credits

and crew skills before even being able to enter randoms and buy tier 8 premiums they have no business playing to start their WoT careers?






2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users