playtime beginners frustration learning time to learn

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Wolf_Jaeger_ #1 Posted Aug 11 2019 - 06:16

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 3193 battles
  • [DRIT] DRIT

I was playing in a tier 2 tank in a low tier 2 and 3 game. Having watch some videos I found some interesting information which I will get back to. The game was very fast most of us were gone in just a couple of minutes, but the whole game didn't last more than 5 min. One side pretty much dominated the field. After the game I (the info I learned) decided to look at the different stats. Our top player and the second to the top player had played over 20,000 battles? The other side had two top player that played over 35,000 battles or games. Everyone else was anywhere from 10 to 1,000 battles. There seems to be a problem here. One that could be remedied pretty easily with the Matchmaking system.

Because I know, for the players in that game that lasted only a few seconds it had to be a bad experience for them. And it was not an isolated game they were all like that. Now think of trying to learn something but only lasting seconds every time you try. Your not going to get a lot of new player this way. 

Does anyone have any suggestions to solve this are is it just screw the newbees?    

Harvester_0f_Sorrow #2 Posted Aug 11 2019 - 06:39

Captain

• Players
  • 28158 battles
  • [NOBA] NOBA
Afternoon

diesel__1 #3 Posted Aug 11 2019 - 08:07

Major

• -Players-
  • 8095 battles
Never.  Leave this game while you have a chance. 

__WarChild__ #4 Posted Aug 11 2019 - 08:26

Major

• -Players-
  • 31529 battles
  • [OPIC] OPIC

View PostWolf_Jaeger_, on Aug 10 2019 - 23:16, said:

I was playing in a tier 2 tank in a low tier 2 and 3 game. Having watch some videos I found some interesting information which I will get back to. The game was very fast most of us were gone in just a couple of minutes, but the whole game didn't last more than 5 min. One side pretty much dominated the field. After the game I (the info I learned) decided to look at the different stats. Our top player and the second to the top player had played over 20,000 battles? The other side had two top player that played over 35,000 battles or games. Everyone else was anywhere from 10 to 1,000 battles. There seems to be a problem here. One that could be remedied pretty easily with the Matchmaking system.

Because I know, for the players in that game that lasted only a few seconds it had to be a bad experience for them. And it was not an isolated game they were all like that. Now think of trying to learn something but only lasting seconds every time you try. Your not going to get a lot of new player this way. 

Does anyone have any suggestions to solve this are is it just screw the newbees?    

The game is designed for you to get through the first 5,000 battles and then re-roll your way to glory.  Good luck!

jimmy_dice711 #5 Posted Aug 11 2019 - 08:35

Sergeant

• Players
  • 27045 battles
  • [GRSR] GRSR
ANY TIME of the day is the same these day's to play this money grab, fraud of a game... 
This game is now a coin flip. They are pretty much pre-scripted as to which wins & which side runs over the other during these 1 side (losing 15 tanks to 2) in under 3 minutes... It never used to be that way back when the game started. There were countless draws & down to the last seconds of the game battles between 1-4 vs 2-3 tanks..
Now? You'll get 10 (new to this game 2018-19 players) somehow with purple/blue/yellow/green XVM stats>> they obviously didn't earn, along with (2 orange 3 reds with 100 games total as filler, who still end up killing top tiers) during a 1 sided victory??? 100% FACT!!!

__WarChild__ #6 Posted Aug 11 2019 - 08:42

Major

• -Players-
  • 31529 battles
  • [OPIC] OPIC
MM does determine the wins, but don't tell everyone.  Many people are delusional here and enjoy believing that they control the outcome.  Drugs are bad.

MagillaGuerilla #7 Posted Aug 11 2019 - 13:12

Major

• -Players-
  • 25857 battles
The players with the word "War" in their names win more. It's a WG thing.

redjkent #8 Posted Aug 11 2019 - 16:31

Captain

• -Players-
  • 94512 battles
  • [Y2KBB] Y2KBB
i dont understand why you people are posting in this if your not going to help him, go to the general section and put your complaints there

LagMaster007 #9 Posted Aug 11 2019 - 20:14

Sergeant

• Players
  • 50340 battles
  • [IFA07] IFA07

View PostWolf_Jaeger_, on Aug 10 2019 - 23:16, said:

A different game........This is pay to play

Wolf_Jaeger_ #10 Posted Aug 11 2019 - 20:41

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 3193 battles
  • [DRIT] DRIT

View PostLagMaster007, on Aug 11 2019 - 20:14, said:

A different game........This is pay to play

screw the newbees then

HellsB3lls #11 Posted Aug 11 2019 - 21:37

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 2906 battles

View PostWolf_Jaeger_, on Aug 11 2019 - 00:16, said:

Pretty much "screw the newbees". Everyone is aware of the problem and it gets asked often on the forum. Some players here care and commiserate, some don't and throw flames if new people complain. As far as I can tell, WG has no intention of changing to give new players a more level playing field. They would like you to think that, if you just spend real cash to buy premium tanks, booster packs and premium time that you'll be on the road to "getgud" but that's pretty much BS (voice of experience), although it does help a little.

So you just have to suck it up and be willing to endure long-suffering hours of play, watch lots of videos, read the forum for tips n tricks (many are willing to help), ask questions (but don't dare put it in the form of a complaint until you've played 5000 games) and get the occasional good outcome that sorta makes it all worth it. You'll gradually get a little better but you will still get hammered by invisible tanks, and still hit big slumps of 6 to 8 losses with just a couple of wins.

This link is a pretty good place to start for basic questions, game mechanics, methods of play, if you decide to stick around. GLHF

http://forum.worldof...kage-version-1/

Harvester_0f_Sorrow #12 Posted Aug 11 2019 - 22:34

Captain

• Players
  • 28158 battles
  • [NOBA] NOBA
Like I said in the afternoon and tiers 4 to 6 for you is your best bet. Its obvious you have a lot to learn so first thing is you need to know how spotting mechanics work. And you really need sixth sense, so watch some youtube videos and get that knowledge!!!

Churizo #13 Posted Aug 12 2019 - 04:36

Private

• -Players-
  • 96 battles

I had to rewrite this so a few things have changed since my original post.

This a new account I started recently. I had another account now for a few years with a 40% rating and like every premium tank and every other tech tree tank with like 20 battles on each one. I played so bad for soooo long, trying to improve my rating felt like pulling teeth from an iron jaw. So I decided to reroll an account. So, just  a heads up, I am not trying to hide my service record, it's just that this is my new account, literally only a few battles to date. There is ton of information to this game, so I am going to just throw out my 2000 cents that comes off the top of my head and I'm not even that great of a player yet.

Play on the SA Server. It is truly more fun.

Get to tier four or five ASAP. Tier four and five have more maps and I find it’s still very beginner friendly in terms of what the expectations of each tank are from team mates. I found I get less burned out having a variety of maps than the lower tiers offer.

Learn the game in a Medium tank. Medium tanks will make you travel every nook and cranny of every map. This will teach you map awareness, shooting lanes, hiding spots, spotting, camouflage. 

Learn to know when to fall back. Your health points are a tool to tell you for when to fall back. Use it. You are still useful with 5 health points vs dead, you can snipe, scout. 

Learn to not overextend yourself.

learn to not get get tunnel vision. When the adrenaline starts to kick in, this is when you want to sit for an extra second and calm back down.

Turn off the battle notifications and the chat screen. This helps me tremendously. It takes me from competition mind set to game play mind set. This is a form of chess in unto itself after all. If you are good at chess, you may be a master at WOT.

Stay in tier four or/and five until your crew have their first skill (sixth sense on commander with repairs/camouflage on the remaining crew members) up to enough skill level so when you move to your next tank, you still have your crew skills at no less than 100% when you train them for the new tank using the 75% option.

My personal itsy bitsy tidbit here; Gold, premium time and premium tanks only held me back from becoming a better player in WOT. Since I went free to play, my game play has improved. Tobe clear though, this is not all by itself though. Everything mentioned above and playing free has all helped me immensely. I figure that the premium tanks handicapped me and the gold taught me a lack of patience, and the premium time just reinforced the gold notion that much more.

Edited by Churizo, Aug 12 2019 - 17:11.

3bagsfull #14 Posted Aug 12 2019 - 14:13

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 2713 battles

View Postredjkent, on Aug 11 2019 - 15:31, said:

i dont understand why you people are posting in this if your not going to help him, go to the general section and put your complaints there

We can't help him because what he is asking for doesn't exist.   This is a game on the NA server with such a low population and what population there is mostly plays higher tiers that whether it's 0100 or 1830 he's going to be going up against people with 30,000 battles at tier 3.   

stalkervision #15 Posted Aug 12 2019 - 19:44

Major

• Players
  • 67862 battles
Don't reroll accounts. It really doesn't fool most people.

Wolf_Jaeger_ #16 Posted Aug 12 2019 - 22:54

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 3193 battles
  • [DRIT] DRIT

View Poststalkervision, on Aug 12 2019 - 19:44, said:

Don't reroll accounts. It really doesn't fool most people.

What is "reroll"?

Churizo #17 Posted Aug 13 2019 - 14:18

Private

• -Players-
  • 96 battles

View PostWolf_Jaeger_, on Aug 12 2019 - 22:54, said:

What is "reroll"?

So what he is saying, is do not open another WOT account to replace an existing bad looking player rating. Some people are not talented in WOT so they, specifically myself, decide to reroll an account to give themselves the hope of a better rating. In my case, 15000 battles with like couple hundred tanks with 20 to 30 battles each, it was going to take a long long time to steer my rating into a hopefully better looking location. Instead I just jumped ship and started over. It is easier to. I am doing it the free to play method this time as I realized I was only hurting my wallet and my skill level the other way, Except for the the 500 gold and the 3 days of premium time which comes as a reward for the first set of entry level mission's in WOT.  Anyways yeah, that is what he was trying to say.  

Gtraxeman #18 Posted Aug 13 2019 - 17:29

Captain

• Players
  • 34552 battles
  • [DHO6] DHO6
For a newbie, play on the SA server tier 4 and below. Half your team, or more, can be bots. It will give you a little more leeway, while learning the game.

da_Rock002 #19 Posted Aug 14 2019 - 15:08

Major

• -Players-
  • 9317 battles

View PostWolf_Jaeger_, on Aug 11 2019 - 00:16, said:

Screw the noobies?     You may be on to something.  

It's a very complex game that looks simple at first glance.   To do well at it takes time, quite a lot of it for most people.   Behind the picture of a couple of vehicles shooting at each other is a lot more than how well you aim and fire.   A lot more.

And along the way, there are many very experienced players busily clubbing seals.    Ever see that term?    Clubbing seals is a key part of the game.   And the design of the game creates the perfect environment for it.    Most players will be seals for a very long time.   The game mechanics take time to learn.   They aren't obvious.  It takes time for you to build up your tanks.   They start out weakly equipped and you have to succeed in battle to pay for re-equipping.   Your crews start out unskilled.   They degrade your performance.   Subtly.   It takes time to train them.   In the meantime you're fighting against players with thousands of battles experience who have tanks upgraded to the max.   Those tanks also have improvements like gun laying drives or binoculars etc.    And the really long time players have improved improvements that you won't have a hope of purchasing for a long time.     And....    I'm about halfway through this...   so.....

lets just say these systems are many and expensive.    The cost isn't just time.  There is frustration.    Although there can also be enjoyment.   You're seeing how they balance out for you right now.    To help you get a better feel for the game, look through the forum for threads about the MM.     Before being snowed under with BS, just consider how many of those threads there are.   Ask yourself why there are so many and so many that are so huge.   Simple answer is seal bashing is something WG ignores.   In fact the game encourages it.    At all levels. 

The one-sided battles prove they encourage it.   Or at least they ignore it.    It's hard to tell why they do things.      Just like it's hard to tell why any of us do some things.   Like play this game.

the_Deadly_Bulb #20 Posted Aug 14 2019 - 17:31

Major

• Players
  • 27281 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View Postda_Rock002, on Aug 14 2019 - 06:08, said:

Screw the noobies?     You may be on to something.  

It's a very complex game that looks simple at first glance.   To do well at it takes time, quite a lot of it for most people.   Behind the picture of a couple of vehicles shooting at each other is a lot more than how well you aim and fire.   A lot more.

And along the way, there are many very experienced players busily clubbing seals.    Ever see that term?    Clubbing seals is a key part of the game.   And the design of the game creates the perfect environment for it.    Most players will be seals for a very long time.   The game mechanics take time to learn.   They aren't obvious.  It takes time for you to build up your tanks.   They start out weakly equipped and you have to succeed in battle to pay for re-equipping.   Your crews start out unskilled.   They degrade your performance.   Subtly.   It takes time to train them.   In the meantime you're fighting against players with thousands of battles experience who have tanks upgraded to the max.   Those tanks also have improvements like gun laying drives or binoculars etc.    And the really long time players have improved improvements that you won't have a hope of purchasing for a long time.     And....    I'm about halfway through this...   so.....

lets just say these systems are many and expensive.    The cost isn't just time.  There is frustration.    Although there can also be enjoyment.   You're seeing how they balance out for you right now.    To help you get a better feel for the game, look through the forum for threads about the MM.     Before being snowed under with BS, just consider how many of those threads there are.   Ask yourself why there are so many and so many that are so huge.   Simple answer is seal bashing is something WG ignores.   In fact the game encourages it.    At all levels. 

The one-sided battles prove they encourage it.   Or at least they ignore it.    It's hard to tell why they do things.      Just like it's hard to tell why any of us do some things.   Like play this game.

Rock, nothing you wrote in the quoted post is limited to either new players or low tiers. The entire “seal clubbed” argument is just another bit o butt hurt by players looking for some stat salve.

Players who don’t understand the game exist in every tier. Players are playing stock tanks and with single or no skill crews in every tier. Players with low game counts dwell in every tier, as do good players who enjoy feeding on seal meat.

Seal clubbing is occuring in every tier.

You can choose the tier you play in.

If players would take the time to play in the tiers where they have appropriate crews and can assist rather than be detrimental there would likely be less whining.

The number of games or tier you play in makes no difference, a seal is a seal and seals get clubbed.

We all got clubbed when we started, it’s part of the game.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users