When is a good time for beginners to play

playtime beginners frustration learning time to learn

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

da_Rock002 #21 Posted Aug 14 2019 - 18:16

Major

• -Players-
  • 9317 battles

"Screw the noobies?"   You are onto something.   But it keeps going beyond newbie level.

The 3-Unicum platoon is just an example of what WG's game design allows:   Seal clubbing teams heavy with newbies and all the way to lopsided matchups that have one team HUGELY overpowering teams that aren't weak at all. 

Some of Bulb's attempt to put a better face on it actually gives you a better picture of how far seal clubbing reaches.   I didn't go into refining either "seal clubbing" or "broken MM" but they're two different levels of the same problem all players face, from newbies to sophomores/juniors.     The game ignores skill when creating battle lineups.   The oldtimers like Bulb (who has been playing for what? 6 years) pretend WoT doesn't have problems as they've been around long enough to "grind"  (another term you will hear in this game) out top vehicles, top crews, top consumables, 'enough' credits, etc etc and they're deathly afraid of losing just one of their perks:   the one-sided matchups.   

Wolf, you've just started into this game.    Don't rush in.   What you just saw as described in your OP did happen, didn't it.     You're seeing it from a newbie's point of view right now.   The lower tiers have fewer newbies nowadays so you might be seeing way more one-sided matchups than I saw 3 years ago, but truth is, there are way more seal-clubbers than needed to keep a steady flow of screwed matchups pouring out of the MM for the lower tiers.     And until WG recognizes that team skill does matter, there will be more than enough to keep the middle tiers doing the same.    Work on building up a few crews.   Tier 5 is a good one comparatively.  Crews train faster there, and credits build up more efficiently.   Lower tiers not so much.   Higher tiers not so easily.

Edited by da_Rock002, Aug 14 2019 - 18:17.

Churizo #22 Posted Aug 14 2019 - 18:25

Private

• -Players-
  • 96 battles

The t34 and m4A1 are two fantastic tanks to learn in. To not overextend yourself will be a big thing you learn in these tanks, moreso the T34 than the M4A1. M4A1 is American tier 5 and T34 is USSR Tier 5, both mediums.

Most people will say  learn in the KV-1, but I learned bad habits such as relying on the armor too much. It actually hurt me in the aspect of shoot and scoot so to say. I would literally park and shoot at a tank until it was dead or I was dead, most times I was dead. My adrenaline be pushing my eardrums to a ringing and I just had tunnel vision with the reload and aim time being this super slow moving dial

I am having a blast in my T34 right now, building up my self confidence and learning what I should not do with it.

The M4A1 is a different kind of fun, my opinion, I not sure how to explain it, but definitely a fun tank.

I think the gun depression on the M4A1 is awesome and the smaller size of the T34 allows me to do more on the maps vs the M4A1 where I find I need to hold back a little more than I do in the T34. Best I can explain it.

I am just now discovering little sweet spots on the maps and it just adds to the joy of the game. I do not feel so lost. I am still trying to find sweet spots on the maps and I am trying to figure out how to utilize my tank in the  fights on the maps. Where can I go? Can I flank? Should I move to our flank? Do we need a spotter and where do I spot from? How do I stay out of the way but still get some shots in? Am I in the middle of a shooting lane? How many enemy tanks are there left vs how many are accounted for on the minimap? 

Little by little is all tying in together, some of it I do not have to think about anymore. I guess this is muscle memory, maybe, I do not know. 

Edited by Churizo, Aug 14 2019 - 18:55.

Wolf_Jaeger_ #23 Posted Aug 16 2019 - 19:05

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 3193 battles
  • [DRIT] DRIT
https://youtu.be/XajPwbeDD0E  -------- Is this what everyone is trying to tell me about.

Edited by Wolf_Jaeger_, Aug 16 2019 - 19:09.

Default_Alternative #24 Posted Aug 19 2019 - 21:31

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 8204 battles

View PostWolf_Jaeger_, on Aug 11 2019 - 06:16, said:

I was playing in a tier 2 tank in a low tier 2 and 3 game. Having watch some videos I found some interesting information which I will get back to. The game was very fast most of us were gone in just a couple of minutes, but the whole game didn't last more than 5 min. One side pretty much dominated the field. After the game I (the info I learned) decided to look at the different stats. Our top player and the second to the top player had played over 20,000 battles? The other side had two top player that played over 35,000 battles or games. Everyone else was anywhere from 10 to 1,000 battles. There seems to be a problem here. One that could be remedied pretty easily with the Matchmaking system.

Because I know, for the players in that game that lasted only a few seconds it had to be a bad experience for them. And it was not an isolated game they were all like that. Now think of trying to learn something but only lasting seconds every time you try. Your not going to get a lot of new player this way. 

Does anyone have any suggestions to solve this are is it just screw the newbees?    

I'd stay away from Friday and Saturday evenings when almost everyone has some fancy emblem next to their name. Sometimes the mornings and afternoons on weekends can be good. Assuming you have a day job, that leaves you with Tuesday through Thursday evenings if you cannot wait till a weekend.  So much also depends on whether WG decides to put you on hunter teams or the meat teams.

I might get accused of all sorts of nefarious stuff and questionable morals, but you might also try out the SA server. For someone without a lot of experience, you might be able to exercise your gunnery and driving skills in the lower tiers against Bots. Now there are always some uber experienced people farming Bots and Noobs in SA, but at least you may get some fun in before they get around to farming you. Plus, the SA players seem more likely to platoon with you for the extra 15% exp a platoon gives and they seem to be more friendly (or less toxic) than NA or EU players.  Usually there are only enough players on SA in the evenings to avoid queue timeouts.

At a certain point though, to get better you need to play against better players. It won't be fun, but stick around after you die and watch the really good players on your team. Think about why the do what they do. You only learn how not to die so much from your own death, but you can learn how to succeed from better players.

Boghie #25 Posted Aug 19 2019 - 22:21

Captain

• -Players-
  • 8420 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostWolf_Jaeger_, on Aug 11 2019 - 00:16, said:

I was playing in a tier 2 tank in a low tier 2 and 3 game. Having watch some videos I found some interesting information which I will get back to. The game was very fast most of us were gone in just a couple of minutes, but the whole game didn't last more than 5 min. One side pretty much dominated the field. After the game I (the info I learned) decided to look at the different stats. Our top player and the second to the top player had played over 20,000 battles? The other side had two top player that played over 35,000 battles or games. Everyone else was anywhere from 10 to 1,000 battles. There seems to be a problem here. One that could be remedied pretty easily with the Matchmaking system.

Because I know, for the players in that game that lasted only a few seconds it had to be a bad experience for them. And it was not an isolated game they were all like that. Now think of trying to learn something but only lasting seconds every time you try. Your not going to get a lot of new player this way. 

Does anyone have any suggestions to solve this are is it just screw the newbees?    

I'm going to caveat what my clannie (Bulb) stated.

There are seals at every tier,

but seal clubbers - by definition - lurk in the lower tiers.

I have put some thought to this and come up kinda dry.  MatchMaking could skill balance the teams - but if you really think hard on what that means it might be close to impossible.  Take me in the Panterra right now.  I cold ground the thing but still held a  decent WR in it.  Then I swooned and tanked it down to bot levels.  Ugh, that came AFTER I got all the modules.  Whatever...  Yesterday I rolled a 75% WR in it and it felt like a second skin again.  I have held Green Wn8 in it since I started playing it.  Do you use the Green Wn8, the 57% WR from a week ago, the 38% WR from two days ago, the 43% WR after yesterday, or the 75% WR of yesterday?  Given that I play better in LTs and MTs does a team get my overall WR (heavily influenced by LTs/MTs) as a balance stat if I play my first Arty?  What if I just want to be a goober and drive a TOG on a beach 'run' in Normandy?

So, in the end, the clubbers will be there - but they will be on both teams.  I guess the best thing to do is to learn from them.  What I learned from them initially was where to find this forum and where to find the YouTubers and where to find good Twitch Streamers.  Those were all good things that came out of bad experiences.  Now, it is extremely fun to have fun to go clubbin' the clubbers.  Sometimes I troll the lower tiers and just ignore and/or evade the chaps with low game counts and go after the clubbers.  That is actually a challenge since some of these NewBs are pretty good:-).  Doesn't do much for the WR, but it is quite fun ending Seal Clubber games post haste and with aggression...

Taylor3006 #26 Posted Aug 20 2019 - 02:49

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 2581 battles

View PostWolf_Jaeger_, on Aug 10 2019 - 23:16, said:

I hated playing when I first started and pretty much gave up. Started playing again because of Twitch Prime rewards and playing on the NA server was just a miserable experience for any tier other than tier 1. Then I discovered the SA server and boy my view of the game has really changed. I play there in the mornings (Central US time) and have a blast. It is underpopulated so often you end up in matches with bots making up most of both teams. What this does is allow a noob like me to actually get some damage done and actually feel like I am doing something before I get destroyed without firing a shot. It is great fun, am building up my crews and completing missions for once and having the time of my life. I still get as many wins or losses since both teams have human players but I don't have to rely on my team to carry me to victory. There are many seal clubbers there, I can not tell you how many times I have run into players that have 20k - 100k of games playing at tier 3 and just killing everything that moves. The good thing is they are on my team about half the time so it is all a matter of trying to farm some damage before they kill everything. There is the added benefit that I don't speak/read Spanish or Portuguese so chat is much nicer. I don't have people telling me to get cancer, die & uninstall like I do playing on NA. Ok they may be saying that there but since I can't read it, I just pretend they are not.... Course I miss the nitwits on NA who scream at their tier 2-4 teams about being noobs and I always enjoy responding back "It is tier 3, of course we are noobs!". Doing that always makes me laugh.. 

1ST_AD_Abrams #27 Posted Aug 20 2019 - 12:57

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 3224 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

You want the honest truth from another newbie, there is no specific time that is good for newbies.  If you don't perform your tank type, don't do enough damage, if you don't go where someone tells you, etc., you will meet the way the community (not the majority but usually 1 to 3 players in a match at times) reacts to you as a newbie.  You will learn some players can't separate fun and games from stats and strict doctrine.  I notice that during the 7pm CT when there is about 14K on the US server is best.  When the number drops to about 6K, then it will become unfriendly time to play, where you will encounter the most attacks on you don't meet expectations others have on your tank type and class.

Usually that occurs around 2am CT that you see numbers start to fall fast to 4000 on US server (don't know about SA server but have gone there and seen the numbers are lower than the US server).  Also be aware that during that period of around 2am CT till probably aroundmaybe 1pm CT it will be very difficult to play tier I-IV matches, even V without being put in a situation where you are 2 tiers below the other players.  So if you are a tier IV then you will be facing Tier VI enemy tanks.

Warning on the lower tiers,  be aware that some veteran players will appear in those games to earn their top gun medals and other awards that is easier to earn at the lower tiers.  Not all veterans do this but a small minority.  You will find they are either farming credits, building up their stats, showing off their skill to others and/or using an elite tank to train their crews faster.  So really there is no perfect time.  It is really the time under which you will find the most difficulty, complaints, abusive/toxic chats, etc as a newer player.  Don't bother defending yourself as they will find anything they can to use against you, especially your stats.  It truly is a dog eat dog world in the matches for those starting out.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users