Moving Up To Next Tier Tank Without Using Cash - FREE XP

Free XP Pay to play Experience moving up next tier tier Help increase playing for free

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Harlott1 #1 Posted Aug 12 2019 - 01:45

Corporal

• Players
  • 4475 battles
  • [-RH-] -RH-

Ok Tankers, I have an honest to goodness question so that I can better understand the dynamics of moving up in tier and hopefully this helps other players as well.

I have been playing this game maybe 7 years give or take. I understand that I can convert XP if I buy using gold, which normally comes out of my pocket paying with cash. However, I am still having a hard time grasping the FREE XP portion and how to obtain it. I could remember when free XP would grow and grow. Now it seems like a lost cause. With all the good and mostly BAD changes to WOT through the years, I am earnestly trying to find other ways to continue playing this game without paying WG my hard earned money, bc that's all that WG seems to care about, in my opinion. I am also trying to understand XP dynamics better as well.

Can you guys help me, and others reading this post, with a sort of easy step by step" process of the fastest way to increase free XP so that moving up a particular line is efficient without spending real money?

I appreciate the input. Thank you. 

TDRHooRaH #2 Posted Aug 12 2019 - 01:47

Major

• Players
  • 23995 battles
Using earned personal reserves to gain more per battle and just playing better overall to earn more.

Hellsfog #3 Posted Aug 12 2019 - 01:49

Major

• Players
  • 38108 battles
  • [VILIN] VILIN
When you play a battle you get three kinds of xp: crew xp, xp and free xp. Free xp is a small portion of your regular xp (10% I think but whatever). Assuming that you don't have "accelerate crew training" checked, your free xp will accumulate over time as you play. The more xp you get, the fast free xp will accumulate. Personal Boosters can speed the whole thing up. 

Harlott1 #4 Posted Aug 12 2019 - 01:53

Corporal

• Players
  • 4475 battles
  • [-RH-] -RH-

View PostTDRHooRaH, on Aug 12 2019 - 00:47, said:

Using earned personal reserves to gain more per battle and just playing better overall to earn more.

I have noticed that using personal reserves decreases your ability to perform better and/or matchmaking makes it harder to perform, while using the reserves. However, I was a reroll at one point in my years of playing, this afforded me an opportunity to learn more in some aspects. I have went from about 3500 PR playing a lot of arty to 5700 PR playing less arty and more auto loading tanks... Thanks!

Harlott1 #5 Posted Aug 12 2019 - 01:55

Corporal

• Players
  • 4475 battles
  • [-RH-] -RH-

View PostHellsfog, on Aug 12 2019 - 00:49, said:

When you play a battle you get three kinds of xp: crew xp, xp and free xp. Free xp is a small portion of your regular xp (10% I think but whatever). Assuming that you don't have "accelerate crew training" checked, your free xp will accumulate over time as you play. The more xp you get, the fast free xp will accumulate. Personal Boosters can speed the whole thing up. 

Boosters meaning reserves? Also is it better to check the box to accelerate crew since I dont want to spend cash anymore to buy back the XP? Thanks

Edited by Harlott1, Aug 12 2019 - 01:57.

redjkent #6 Posted Aug 12 2019 - 02:10

Captain

• -Players-
  • 94494 battles
  • [Y2KBB] Y2KBB
op how much did you pay for that acount

Harlott1 #7 Posted Aug 12 2019 - 02:20

Corporal

• Players
  • 4475 battles
  • [-RH-] -RH-

View Postredjkent, on Aug 12 2019 - 01:10, said:

op how much did you pay for that acount

I spent too much on this game and for what? So you can buy a premium one day and have it nerfed the next... Still I was serious about this question. No need to troll...

Hellsfog #8 Posted Aug 12 2019 - 03:02

Major

• Players
  • 38108 battles
  • [VILIN] VILIN

View PostHarlott1, on Aug 11 2019 - 19:53, said:

I have noticed that using personal reserves decreases your ability to perform better and/or matchmaking makes it harder to perform, while using the reserves. However, I was a reroll at one point in my years of playing, this afforded me an opportunity to learn more in some aspects. I have went from about 3500 PR playing a lot of arty to 5700 PR playing less arty and more auto loading tanks... Thanks!

No boosters don't do that and any belief to contrary is incredibly wrong. 

View PostHarlott1, on Aug 11 2019 - 19:55, said:

Boosters meaning reserves? Also is it better to check the box to accelerate crew since I dont want to spend cash anymore to buy back the XP? Thanks

No, if you check that box, all your xp goes to the crew. If you want to accumulate free xp, don't accelerate crew training. Remember you accumulate both xp, which you would have to convert, and free xp, which you don't have to convert. 

AsianFemBoi #9 Posted Aug 12 2019 - 03:08

Private

• -Players-
  • 212 battles

View PostHarlott1, on Aug 12 2019 - 01:45, said:

Ok Tankers, I have an honest to goodness question so that I can better understand the dynamics of moving up in tier and hopefully this helps other players as well. I have been playing this game maybe 7 years give or take. I understand that I can convert XP if I buy using gold, which normally comes out of my pocket paying with cash. However, I am still having a hard time grasping the FREE XP portion and how to obtain it. I could remember when free XP would grow and grow. Now it seems like a lost cause. With all the good and mostly BAD changes to WOT through the years, I am earnestly trying to find other ways to continue playing this game without paying WG my hard-earned money, bc that's all that WG seems to care about, in my opinion. I am also trying to understand XP dynamics better as well. Can you guys help me, and others reading this post, with a sort of easy step by step" process of the fastest way to increase free XP so that moving up a particular line is efficient without spending real money?

im new and from what ive read on the wiki free exp is 5% based of the combat exp earned in a match so 1000 combat exp gives you 50 free exp this is listed in the top right where it says convert wth it say convert when you dont need to idk

Pipinghot #10 Posted Aug 12 2019 - 04:19

Major

• Players
  • 25960 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

View PostHarlott1, on Aug 11 2019 - 19:45, said:

Ok Tankers, I have an honest to goodness question so that I can better understand the dynamics of moving up in tier and hopefully this helps other players as well.

I have been playing this game maybe 7 years give or take. I understand that I can convert XP if I buy using gold, which normally comes out of my pocket paying with cash. However, I am still having a hard time grasping the FREE XP portion and how to obtain it. I could remember when free XP would grow and grow. Now it seems like a lost cause. With all the good and mostly BAD changes to WOT through the years, I am earnestly trying to find other ways to continue playing this game without paying WG my hard earned money, bc that's all that WG seems to care about, in my opinion. I am also trying to understand XP dynamics better as well.

Can you guys help me, and others reading this post, with a sort of easy step by step" process of the fastest way to increase free XP so that moving up a particular line is efficient without spending real money?

Considering that you seem to be struggling with having fun in the game, why are you in a hurry to move up to higher tiers? You're just going to find more good players there and have an even harder time having fun.

The best thing you can do for yourself (and your crews) is to just keep playing a tank until you have the next tank researched. Then, once you unlock a new tanks, use whatever free XP you've accumulated to unlock as many modules as you can. This gives you more time at your current tier with a fully geared tank and your crew gaining more XP, and it keeps you from getting into higher tiers before you're ready for them. After all, as you get into higher tiers your competitors are mostly going to have fully geared tanks and crews with at least one perk/skill, why would you put yourself at a disadvantage by having less than them?

If your goal is to rush up the tiers that's easy to do, but if you do that you're going to enjoy the game even less.

NeatoMan #11 Posted Aug 12 2019 - 04:47

Major

• Players
  • 28180 battles

View PostPipinghot, on Aug 11 2019 - 22:19, said:

The best thing you can do for yourself (and your crews) is to just keep playing a tank until you have the next tank researched. Then, once you unlock a new tanks, use whatever free XP you've accumulated to unlock as many modules as you can. This gives you more time at your current tier with a fully geared tank and your crew gaining more XP, and it keeps you from getting into higher tiers before you're ready for them. 

That's what I did.  I only bought premium status when I had to grind my tier 9 and 10 tanks.   Otherwise it was f2p.  I never spent free xp to research a new tank.  I always saved it for modules to reduce the stock grind

Amaruk #12 Posted Aug 12 2019 - 05:33

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 4308 battles

View PostHarlott1, on Aug 12 2019 - 01:55, said:

Also is it better to check the box to accelerate crew since I dont want to spend cash anymore to buy back the XP? Thanks

Absolutely.

All of your crew members always get the same XP as the tank gets. (Full XP if they survive the battle unhurt, 90% if injured or KIA)

With ACT on the crewmen with the lowest training level gets the tank XP in addition to his crew XP.  The crewman who gets this bonus will be marked.  For example, in the image below Master Sergeant Marquez received 2,568 XP while the rest of the crew gets 1,284 each.  Without ACT on that 1,284 XP would remain with the tank, and require gold conversion before it can be used for anything.

Spoiler

View PostHellsfog, on Aug 12 2019 - 03:02, said:

If you want to accumulate free xp, don't accelerate crew training.

Sorry Hellsfog, that is incorrect.  You will receive free XP regardless of ACT settings.  In the above image I got 64 FXP based on 1,284 earned, which is 5%.  Of course, that can be increased with boosters.

~edit for spelling~

Edited by Amaruk, Aug 12 2019 - 05:39.

NeutronRaptor #13 Posted Aug 12 2019 - 06:29

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 30368 battles

You need to perform better. Looking at your stats and you are still struggling in every tier 8 and higher tank you own. Your Defender has a 53% win ratio but you only do 1050 DPG in it which means you are most likely platooning the tank. 1050 is just mediocre for that tank and won't get you much in the way of XP at the end of the battle and thus very little free XP added. On that account almost 1 in every 4 of your battles is in the M44. Arty is notorious for getting the least amount of XP per battle since you share all of it when your spotters. So you are playing a low tier arty which is already going to bring in less XP on top of having to share it with every one of your spotters, thus less total XP at the end and less free XP added to your account. 

You need to throw on a free XP booster and then actually sit down and get better playing your tier 8 premiums without falling back on using the M44 again. 

SquishySupreme #14 Posted Aug 12 2019 - 07:42

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 3639 battles
I have used it a couple of times when I got stuck.  You don't use it to get TO a tank, you use it to get OUT of a tank.  Some tank grinds are absurdly broken and hideous.

That said, with the same money spent on premium time, you can XP past a hurdle in a few days.  The assignable 5x XP boosts are extremely effective.

Guido1212 #15 Posted Aug 12 2019 - 12:42

Community Contributor

• Players
  • 81361 battles
  • [GFLC] GFLC

View PostHarlott1, on Aug 12 2019 - 00:53, said:

Just wanted to comment on the part about boosters making it harder.

The fact is, they don’t.  It’s really important to understand this.  If you perceive that you’re doing poorly with them on that’s another issue.  Always turn on your boosters, no reason to hoard them.  They make the grinds so much better.

Its a small thing but if you really want to get better you’ve got to stop thinking things are against you (like boosters).

ColonelShakes #16 Posted Aug 12 2019 - 12:51

Captain

• -Players-
  • 16267 battles
  • [CDN] CDN

View PostGuido1212, on Aug 12 2019 - 12:42, said:

Just wanted to comment on the part about boosters making it harder.

The fact is, they don’t.  It’s really important to understand this.  If you perceive that you’re doing poorly with them on that’s another issue.  Always turn on your boosters, no reason to hoard them.  They make the grinds so much better.

Its a small thing but if you really want to get better you’ve got to stop thinking things are against you (like boosters).

Agreed.  Very important to understand.

Losers look for any reason to blame something or someone else for their failures.   This is one of those times unfortunately.

golruul #17 Posted Aug 12 2019 - 16:41

Captain

• Players
  • 22118 battles

OP, as others mentioned, free xp is a percent of the xp you get from battle.  Other than the free-xp personal reserve, the only free way to increase this is to play more games and/or do better each game. 

I spam a lot of battles in my premium tanks to grind crew skill and make credits.  A good side benefit of doing this is getting a lot more free xp.

I_QQ_4_U #18 Posted Aug 12 2019 - 16:54

Major

• -Players-
  • 22500 battles

You earn it by playing the game, you get a percentage of the XP you earn as FXP. Now that they have in game session stats in vanilla just look at how much FXP you make each session, I played 6 battles today and made 353 FXP. If your FXP isn't growing then you must be spending it.

Best way to make it is play premiums with an FXP reserve and win.

Markd73 #19 Posted Aug 12 2019 - 17:01

Major

• Players
  • 32795 battles

View PostHarlott1, on Aug 12 2019 - 00:53, said:

That sounds like anecdotal data + confirmation bias. 

I am not saying that you don't feel this to be true. Just that you need valid evidence to determine if that is objectively true.

I_QQ_4_U #20 Posted Aug 12 2019 - 17:56

Major

• -Players-
  • 22500 battles

View PostHarlott1, on Aug 12 2019 - 01:53, said:

I have noticed that using personal reserves decreases your ability to perform better and/or matchmaking makes it harder to perform, while using the reserves.

I have noticed that when I'm at work time moves slower.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users