• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Private_Public #1 Posted Aug 15 2019 - 00:47

Major

• Players
  • 38258 battles
  • [RDTT2] RDTT2

Hello ladies and gents!

I want to thank each and every person who participated in the surveys! I have already sent in all the detailed results to the NA and EU offices, and I hope that just like last time, they can use the results in their reports back to the main devs when it comes time for feedback. So, what do the results say about how you - The Community - feel about the maps in World of Tanks?

The combined response from the RU, SEA/ANZAC, and China servers was such a tiny proportion of the participants (less than 4%), that I am not including their answers below just for brevity sake. I hope you enjoy this look into the minds of the NA and EU players.

There are currently 39 maps in the game that we can see in regular random battles that do not require opt-in (Grand Battles/Frontlines/Encounter/Assault). Of those 39 maps, you all felt that 9 of them were below average. Rounded up slightly, that is 25% of the maps that you deem as not fun. Below, I will be showing the 5 worst rated maps, with the score from each region. Remember, that a 0 is the worst score, a 5 is average (no shame in being average with a map pool of 39), and 10 is perfect.

Overall NA EU
Paris - 3.19 Paris - 3.18 Paris - 3.21
Empire's Border - 3.53 Empire's Border - 3.55 Minsk - 3.41
Minsk - 3.58 Widepark - 3.68 Empire's Border - 3.45
Widepark - 3.79 Minsk - 3.71 Ensk - 3.91
Ensk - 3.99 Province - 3.94 Mines - 3.92

Note: Paris received the most 0 votes (by an impressive margin, I might add).

Here, there was a bit of a surprise. The NA cluster is apparently less harsh on the maps than the EU cluster is. The NA cluster had only 8 maps rated below a 5.0, whereas the EU cluster had 14. Now, do these rankings also correlate to the most blacklisted maps? Let me set the stage for you. In a 'perfect' world, each map would be blacklisted at about a 3.9% rate, as each map should theoretically be just as fun/unfun as the next map. However, that does not happen because this is not a perfect world or game. 9 maps overall are blacklisted at a higher than 3.9% rate (leaving 30 maps at a MUCH lower blacklist rate). Even more interesting - some of the most blacklisted maps are actually seen as average/above average! Just like above, I will be listing the 5 most blacklisted maps.

Overall NA EU
Paris - 11.83% Paris - 11.95% Paris - 11.87%
Ensk - 10.08% Ensk - 9.43% Ensk - 11.10%
Empire's Border - 8.45% Minsk - 8.28% Empire's Border - 9.03%
Minsk - 8.28% Empire's Border - 8.28% Minsk - 8.13%
Mines - 6.35% Mines - 6.55% Mines - 5.94%

This time, NA was harsher than the EU, with NA at 10 maps blacklisted at more than 3.9% rates, with EU at 8 maps. It seems at first glance while the EU is unhappy with more maps, they are more in lockstep when it comes to their total dislike for maps, with the NA server more spread out. When it comes down to it, there are several reasons why someone may want to blacklist maps (aside from pure dislike of the map). Does taking a look at that information give a glimpse into why?

Reasons Overall NA EU
Don't Blacklist 13.7% 14.2% 11.9%
Tanks I'm Grinding 33.8% 33.19% 36.5%
For Missions 15.7% 17.5% 13.8%
Other 36.7% 38.3% 37.6%

So, taking a look at this, it appears that the EU players are more likely to blacklist because of type of tank, whereas NA players are more likely to blacklist to complete missions. Both servers, however, seem to just want to blacklist for other reasons (hatred of map, that time of the month, the moon is out of phase with pluto, who knows). But, I think that is enough time being negative. Let us turn things around and try to look at the positive side of the maps! When it comes to the maps, the only theme that ties the top 5 overall maps together is the city/building/rock areas are just a handful of coordinates on the map, and the rest of the map, even with corridors from natural terrain features, feel a lot more open in play. Overall, 17 maps are considered either to not stand out or that they are seen as average. 12 maps are considered above average. Below, I will list the top 5 maps and scores.

Overall NA EU
Redshire - 7.05 Redshire - 7.01 Redshire - 7.11
Steppes - 6.67 Steppes - 6.73 Prokhorovka - 6.83
Westfield - 6.65 Murovanka - 6.65 Westfield - 6.68
Murovanka - 6.64 Westfield - 6.62 Murovanka - 6.62
Prokhorovka - 6.62 Live Oaks - 6.57 Malinovka - 6.6

Note: Prokhorovka received the most votes of 10 overall, yet was only 5th overall in ranking.

Now, just as I did last time I did this survey, it is time to look at the maps as they are scored vs. how long they have been in the game (when they were introduced initially). All of the highest score maps are more than 2500 days (6.84 years) old. However, many of the worst scoring maps are also that age or older. Rose colored glasses do not always a better map make! The early days of the maps in game definitely show that WG was going through a heavy learning curve, trying to design balanced, yet interesting maps that the players would want to play on.

Starting with Tundra (2147 days/5.87 years old), the 10 newest maps currently in the game all trend towards average, with none sticking out with a high score. 3 of these 10 maps score below average. While these 10 maps are not outstanding to the players, they also tend to not be hated badly - which means that WG is a lot more consistent with map design nowadays. Now whether or not that consistency is to be seen as good or bad is up to you to decide. Unfortunately, because of their mere 'averageness', these maps are looked down upon because all of the most beloved maps came before these 10. Here is another interesting fact: in the first 1500 days/4.26 years or so of the game, WG released more maps that people hate than in the most recent 5.87 years. Seems they have learned a thing or 2 about making new maps not so polarizing - while unfortunately also not making them stand out in a very positive light either.

So, despite there being 39 maps currently in rotation as of this posting, there have been many more maps come and go (some of them sentimental favorites, like Dragon Ridge is a sentimental favorite of mine). Some of these maps are likely to come back. Some will likely never return. However, when it comes to what the community desires in a map, I do have some answers for you.

When it comes to physical terrain style, least wanted new map style has a cemented 'favorite' as Majority City/Corridor. Less than 2.54% of all respondents wanted a new city map. On the other side of the spectrum, people are perfectly happy with Cities/Corridors as long as the map is more Wide Open with a bit of city mixed in. 42.22% of the respondents love the thought of a mix leaning towards Wide Open. In a far distant 2nd place, an even split of corridor/wide open came in at 26.03%.

As for overall least and most wanted based on camo/thematic elements? 0% wanted a Desert City, with Winter and Summer city not that far off. The Top 4 most desired (also the only 4 over 10% voted for) are A mix leaning towards wide open (Desert 10.76%, Winter 14.20%, Summer 18.41%) and Even Split Summer at 12.48%. Overall, 45.55% of you wanted another Summer themed map, 33.07% wanted a Winter themed map, and only 21.37% wanted a Desert themed map.

Now, when I made the initial post asking for your input, I did promise to give you all links to the raw information (for those of you who like doing that sort of thing).

Map Opinions Survey

Types of Maps you want to see

Your written opinions on each map

For those of you who may want a chronicle of the maps and when they were introduced, removed, reintroduced, or even majorly changed, I have done my best to compile the information for you below. Some of the early dates may be a bit iffy, but that is down to me trying to decipher google-translated russian beta forum posts. I try to update it every time a new map is added to the regular random battles queue (again, that does not require opt-in a la Frontlines or Grand Battles).

Map History in WoT

I want to thank you all for participating in the survey, and for giving me a chance to once again be your representative to the NA and EU employees in an attempt to help you have your voice heard!

Edited by Private_Public, Aug 15 2019 - 00:48.

omi5cron #2 Posted Aug 15 2019 - 01:00

Major

• Players
  • 23320 battles
paris is the only map on my permanent exclusion. but i am thinking i may relent.i do need to learn city maps in my tanks that do NOT like city maps. the only other map that i have excluded,rarely,overlord.because of the "beach" crowd.thanks for doing this work.

Blocksupstudios #3 Posted Aug 15 2019 - 01:14

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 12171 battles
not surprised that mines is blacklisted that much, there isn't a lot of room to work with

Arf_84 #4 Posted Aug 15 2019 - 01:22

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 3073 battles
Irrespective of results, thanks for putting in the effort to compile the data.

Lucid_Nonsense_1 #5 Posted Aug 15 2019 - 02:14

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 7227 battles
  • [4RENB] 4RENB

If you decide to start this herculean task again, may I suggest splitting the rating by tier - low/med/high (I-III/IV-VII/VIII-X would be my suggestion) as I suspect that this will show a big difference in map preference; eg. imho, mines is fine at I-IV, diabolical at VIII-X.  Also, it would be interesting to compare number of battles played vs map polarity.

Did you test to see which differences were statistically significant? My guess is that a MANOVA with tank type, map age and tier would account for the bulk of variance.

PS. Any high school students with independent research, stats projects, coming up; you have been gifted a nice data set to work with, plus plenty of material for your discussion wrt limits/future improvements/reliability.  You have room to show your χ2, manova and regression skills - Easy A for mid to late high schoolers . :)

Edited by Lucid_Nonsense_1, Aug 15 2019 - 02:15.

Arf_84 #6 Posted Aug 15 2019 - 02:18

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 3073 battles

"PS. Any high school students with independent research, stats projects, coming up; you have been gifted a nice data set to work with, plus plenty of material for your discussion wrt limits/future improvements/reliability.  You have room to show your χ2, manova and regression skills - Easy A for mid to late high schoolers "

Sounds like a ploy to get some of the kiddies off the servers on the weekends.  Well played, Lucid, well played.

Edited by Arf_84, Aug 15 2019 - 02:57.

Private_Public #7 Posted Aug 15 2019 - 10:15

Major

• Players
  • 38258 battles
  • [RDTT2] RDTT2

View PostLucid_Nonsense_1, on Aug 14 2019 - 20:14, said:

If you decide to start this herculean task again, may I suggest splitting the rating by tier - low/med/high (I-III/IV-VII/VIII-X would be my suggestion) as I suspect that this will show a big difference in map preference; eg. imho, mines is fine at I-IV, diabolical at VIII-X.  Also, it would be interesting to compare number of battles played vs map polarity.

Did you test to see which differences were statistically significant? My guess is that a MANOVA with tank type, map age and tier would account for the bulk of variance.

PS. Any high school students with independent research, stats projects, coming up; you have been gifted a nice data set to work with, plus plenty of material for your discussion wrt limits/future improvements/reliability.  You have room to show your χ2, manova and regression skills - Easy A for mid to late high schoolers . :)

let's just say this has already helped at least a couple of college age statistics kids in my clan family.  They loved the chance to have a large data set there for them to do things with (especially for string parsing with the comments portion)

I_QQ_4_U #8 Posted Aug 15 2019 - 14:01

Major

• -Players-
  • 22174 battles
I would think they probably know what maps get blacklisted.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users