UH OH

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

noboater #1 Posted Aug 15 2019 - 15:07

Sergeant

• Players
  • 34656 battles
  • [J4F] J4F
Might need to blow the dust off of the destroyers. Submarines entering testing soon in WOW. Can't drive a ClownCar worth a hoot but being ex navy maybe I can steer a sub.  Guess I'll have to share some of my tanking time now.     :B

Vulcan_Spectre #2 Posted Aug 15 2019 - 15:34

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 4261 battles
  • [TCM] TCM
Almost time to update wow, I was waiting for the day subs got launched

edk_tpr #3 Posted Aug 15 2019 - 15:44

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 45863 battles
  • [IXGD] IXGD

For the longest time WoWS was of little interest.  Now with the 5 1/2 minute games in Pubbies, I am finding more enjoyment in Ships.   Hope subs do not break ships like the clow cars (especially high tier) break the game

Either way I am not spending new money on WOT until the game play (skewing meta to control queue times) is improved. 

LeaveIT2Beaver #4 Posted Aug 15 2019 - 16:18

Major

• -Players-
  • 37341 battles
  • [J4F] J4F

View Postnoboater, on Aug 15 2019 - 09:07, said:

Might need to blow the dust off of the destroyers. Submarines entering testing soon in WOW. Can't drive a ClownCar worth a hoot but being ex-navy maybe I can steer a sub.  Guess I'll have to share some of my tanking time now.     :B

WoWs is stale and with the premium time split from WoT and WoWP they are going to have to do something to jazz it up and pull dollars into the game. 

When I was beta testing WOWs, I suggested submarines and PT boats, and the purists blasted me up and down for even thinking such hearsay, much less posting it in the forum.  They were actually quite rude about it.
Submarines  (the equivalent to stealth TD's like the STRV S1) and PT boats (equivalent to the Wheelies) are coming to WoWs, and you can bet your bottom dollar on it.   The purists who look down on WoT players will freak out.  :trollface:

BTW - Love John Wayne! Nice avatar!

Edited by LeaveIT2Beaver, Aug 15 2019 - 16:23.

GeorgePreddy #5 Posted Aug 15 2019 - 18:54

Major

• Players
  • 14680 battles

View PostLeaveIT2Beaver, on Aug 15 2019 - 12:18, said:

WoWs is stale and with the premium time split from WoT and WoWP they are going to have to do something to jazz it up and pull dollars into the game. 

When I was beta testing WOWs, I suggested submarines and PT boats, and the purists blasted me up and down for even thinking such hearsay, much less posting it in the forum.  They were actually quite rude about it.
Submarines  (the equivalent to stealth TD's like the STRV S1) and PT boats (equivalent to the Wheelies) are coming to WoWs, and you can bet your bottom dollar on it.   The purists who look down on WoT players will freak out.  :trollface:

I actually met Duke Wayne.

I was a young co-pilot on a corporate propjet and in November, 1972 the company decided to sell the rather large and relatively expensive to operate Fairchild F-27 and replace it with a much smaller Mitsubishi MU-2.

Just a few days after that, we happened to meet Duke Wayne's pilots at the Palm Springs, CA airport FBO (business aircraft terminal) while waiting there for our passengers (to return them home to Addison TX, our base of ops).

They walked up to us and asked about the F-27 we had parked on the business plane ramp. They said the Duke was looking to purchase something similar, planning to put a bedroom in it and operate it between his home in Newport Beach and Durango, Mexico (where he shot most of his western films). The idea was that since the F-27 was approved for ops into "unimproved" (unpaved) strips, they could scrape out a dirt runway right where they did their filming and Duke could avoid the long drive into the Durango hotel whenever he wanted to by sleeping on the plane instead.  With a galley, bar, head, club seating card table, bedroom and onboard APU, the plane would be quite comfy.

So, long story-short, for a sales demo trip, we ended up taking the Duke and 4 of his business partners/friends from the Orange County Airport (now named John Wayne Airport) to Dallas Love Field for them to attend a Republican Fund Raiser Dinner in Dallas, and 2 days later, returned them to California.

You'll notice that I freely call him Duke Wayne or the Duke instead of John or Mr. Wayne.  That's because, when he walked up to me for the first time, I said "It's a pleasure to meet you Mr. Wayne" and he put out a giant hand and said "Just call me Duke".

And that's the way he was on the entire trip. Quiet, but friendly, undemanding and unassuming, happy for his photo to be taken (I have several I took).  One of the nicest passengers I ever had on my plane in the 42 years I was a professional pilot.

P.S. He didn't buy the plane... he said Pilar put her foot down because he already had 2 planes (a Jet Commander and a Piper Navajo) and didn't need a 3rd.

LeaveIT2Beaver #6 Posted Aug 15 2019 - 19:27

Major

• -Players-
  • 37341 battles
  • [J4F] J4F

View PostGeorgePreddy, on Aug 15 2019 - 12:54, said:

I actually met Duke Wayne.

That is a great story!  I met him (very briefly)  at the Kentucky Derby in 1976 when I was a rookie assigned to the security detail for the Judge's reception. His hand was like a bear's paw. 
What's cosmic is that I got to right seat a Mitsubishi MU-2 from Bowman Field to Nashville and back once when the KFC pilot needed right seat eyes and I happened to be in the flight school.  My instructor said, "take him - he never talks".

That was really nice since I was used to the Cessna 150! :teethhappy:

Klaatu_Nicto #7 Posted Aug 15 2019 - 20:43

Major

• Players
  • 44044 battles

View Postedk_tpr, on Aug 15 2019 - 06:44, said:

For the longest time WoWS was of little interest.  Now with the 5 1/2 minute games in Pubbies, I am finding more enjoyment in Ships.   Hope subs do not break ships like the clow cars (especially high tier) break the game

Either way I am not spending new money on WOT until the game play (skewing meta to control queue times) is improved. 

That will ruin the game just like it ruined WOT.

Klaatu_Nicto #8 Posted Aug 15 2019 - 20:51

Major

• Players
  • 44044 battles

View PostLeaveIT2Beaver, on Aug 15 2019 - 07:18, said:

I've cut way back on my spending at WOWS since the terrible CV rework. It used to take some skill to be good with CVs but now not so much. It seems to me like they are catering to the wrong crowd. 

noboater #9 Posted Aug 16 2019 - 03:57

Sergeant

• Players
  • 34656 battles
  • [J4F] J4F
I think I have seen every John Wayne movie made at least a dozen times. Was my favorite actor. The MU-2 killed a few in it's day before pilots figured out how to safely operate it. Wish I had a ten dollar bill for every time I had flown in and out of Bowman and SDF.

Edited by noboater, Aug 16 2019 - 04:04.

IndygoEEI #10 Posted Aug 16 2019 - 14:07

Major

• Players
  • 61111 battles
  • [K-H] K-H
I CAN FINALLY HAZ SUBS?!

Klaatu_Nicto #11 Posted Aug 16 2019 - 18:09

Major

• Players
  • 44044 battles

I hope they plan on giving DDs depth charges. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users