Brief reflections on this game and a question.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

shando_reyer #1 Posted Aug 15 2019 - 21:16

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 1428 battles
  • [ROLF] ROLF

Well, I've reached the threshold of 1000 battles played. And I've come to the conclusion that this game is not much fun to play solo in Random Battles. If you're platooned with friends/clanmates or in a detachment WITH voice communication then the game becomes tolerable. Looking forward to skirmishes with my clanmates is about the only thing that holds me here.

So, what keeps you playing once the "newness" wears off and "warts" in this game become apparent?

S.R.

Blocksupstudios #2 Posted Aug 15 2019 - 21:20

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 12685 battles
what keeps me playing are the unpredictable things that could happen in-game, such as your team mates, RNG, or the plays that me or others make. always keeps me thinking about what happens next and that's what makes me enjoy the game through all its big faults

rockbutcher #3 Posted Aug 15 2019 - 21:23

Captain

• -Players-
  • 22381 battles
  • [-OPS-] -OPS-
Glad you have it all figured out SR.  Dang you are much smarter than I am.

bockscar43 #4 Posted Aug 15 2019 - 21:45

Captain

• -Players-
  • 31987 battles
  • [PL1AR] PL1AR
If you love armor it can be addictive, has for me. I don't agree for some of the meta, but thats life...IMHO.

Projectile_Misfired #5 Posted Aug 15 2019 - 21:48

Major

• Players
  • 38390 battles

View Postshando_reyer, on Aug 15 2019 - 20:16, said:

Well, I've reached the threshold of 1000 battles played. And I've come to the conclusion that this game is not much fun to play solo in Random Battles. If you're platooned with friends/clanmates or in a detachment WITH voice communication then the game becomes tolerable. Looking forward to skirmishes with my clanmates is about the only thing that holds me here.

So, what keeps you playing once the "newness" wears off and "warts" in this game become apparent?

S.R.

I play it for what it is....a game. Most of the time, I have loads of fun.

But, whenever I find that I'm experiencing more frustration than enjoyment, I turn it off and either watch TV or possibly watch specific streamers play.

What got me past the threshold you're at now is by remembering that even after 1000 games, I was still new and learning. I never tried to play above my tier skill level (IMHO, Tier 8 with less than 5k games should only be played by re-rolls). 

And, then, when I finally found a tank or two that I really liked playing, I played them while learning more of the game and maps (that's why I have over 6k games in the T67).

RIA1911 #6 Posted Aug 15 2019 - 23:05

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 6355 battles
I've got less than 7k battles since 2011, so i play just as a break from other things in life. I've never been a great tanker(by this i mean tank control say in a brawl, high speed movement), so i learned the game mechanics and tactics, also how to support other and low tier support. ( where to go at start and still learning how to adjust during a battle, has work for me over the years).

Edited by RIA1911, Aug 15 2019 - 23:07.

WaywardChild #7 Posted Aug 15 2019 - 23:06

Captain

• Players
  • 38097 battles
  • [_RUF_] _RUF_
I don't see "warts" I see a game where I run around in cool vehicles and blow stuff up. Once in a while I win a good duel with another player and smile my [edited]off. 

GeorgePreddy #8 Posted Aug 15 2019 - 23:56

Major

• Players
  • 14680 battles

Fell in love with this game the first day I played going on 7 years ago... 50k+ battles in, I like it more every year that passes.

It just gets better and better as I learn more about it.

Frontlines is very cool, Strongholds and Advances are lots of fun.

My rule is to play for fun, to HAVE fun playing, therefore I just don't do things in the game that are too frustrating. For instance, I don't really grind tech tree tanks in the traditional sense. I also eschew missions, campaigns and events that are boring.

I do pub battles using tanks I enjoy and tanks I'm good at playing, I don't make my choices to satisfy anyone else's expectations but my own.

I'm a person, ~70 years of age, well educated, and with a lot of life experience. I learned a long time ago to do it my way.

dunniteowl #9 Posted Aug 16 2019 - 01:07

Major

• -Players-
  • 30731 battles

View Postshando_reyer, on Aug 15 2019 - 14:16, said:

S.R.

You, the next new guy, the next one after that, the guy before me, the guy three years before me, the unicums eating their way through games, the tomatoes splattering all over the field, the tanks, the maps, the variety of play -- all of that keeps me here, game after game, through winning or losing streaks and from zero damage wins to zero damage losses as well as the top damage wins and losses.

For me, this game has never been about the grind.  Every game you'll ever play will get grindy at some point.  If the game's gimmicks don't hook you and keep you hooked, look for another line and lure out there somewhere else.

It's not about the best tanks or playing to the meta so I can maximize my effectiveness at causing damage (you know, which I do my best to do anyway while I'm playing) with the 'right tank' or something.  I play tanks most folks will flat out tell you are hard tanks to do well in by and large or are 'suck' tanks to begin with.  In fact, maybe it's my stubborn streak, I don't know, but "suck" tanks and underdog underperformers seem to attract me in this bizarre love to play the crap tanks to see if I can manage them somehow.  Even though I don't really have any tanks I'd say I really feel totally comfortable in -- or maybe too casual about how much I "know" about what I'm doing -- my units to the point where I feel bored or like I can't do anything different.

It's about playing a large scale team-based game in real time against and with real people in a non-sorted, randomized 'sandlot' style team setups against 15 others in the same boat on the other side.  No two games are the same and even some bad games can turn around, get exciting or a sure win can suddenly disappear and now the scrap is ON to get back that lead.

What else do you really need?

OvO

eisen1973 #10 Posted Aug 16 2019 - 01:09

Major

• Players
  • 64053 battles
  • [GRIMR] GRIMR

View Postshando_reyer, on Aug 15 2019 - 15:16, said:

S.R.

AFter 8 years playing it and more than 63 000 battles  I like the game more than ever. I have set some personal goals that keep me interested, and once I reach'em I set new ones. There's no reason to become bored if you actually liked the concept of the game and cared to learn it's mechanics. The more I learn the more I love it. 

redjkent #11 Posted Aug 16 2019 - 01:46

Captain

• -Players-
  • 94512 battles
  • [Y2KBB] Y2KBB
i still love this game even after 92k games played, i still have fun so i will continue to play, hell all these years later and i still play the hell out of halo 3

ChaseR392 #12 Posted Aug 16 2019 - 02:57

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 7863 battles

After a little over a year and 7000+ battles,

For the most part I'm enjoying the game more than ever. I've improved enough as a player that things like grinding lines doesn't seem as tedious as it once did, and a lot of the my higher tier "must-have" tanks are in are in my garage or finally within reach. I also have acquired most of the premium tanks I've wanted since I first saw them in battle or read about them on the tank wiki page.

Sure at times I get frustrated... and there I times when I have to take a break (or I should and don't to my detriment), but those battles when everything goes right and no tank can stand before me still excite me as much today as they did in the beginning.... they just happen more often now.

As long as WOT is around, I will continue to play. I can't remember the last time I played any other game, once you've played against actual other people.... playing console video games that really only require you to memorize where the enemies are just don't seem fun anymore.

The only thing I have considered walking away from (multiple times) is the forum. More and more it seems like the level headed, sane people are losing the battle around here....

el_01 #13 Posted Aug 16 2019 - 03:10

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 3195 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

I play because I watched too many videos when I first started and wanted some tier 10s badly, and learned to enjoy the grind.

The grind is life.

Seriously though, I've just decided that some tanks look fun, I want them, on the way the tanks are kind of fun as well some (well most) of the time, so I have fun. Simple. 

Epic carries and high damage battles are also something I look forward to. Ego padding I guess, but it's fun in a way because I can get quite competetive.

Congrats on 1K battles by the way.

Superheavy_Metal #14 Posted Aug 19 2019 - 12:34

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 4020 battles
  • [GNZX1] GNZX1
Simple i play this game to drive tanks and blow tanks up

Roggg2 #15 Posted Aug 19 2019 - 16:14

Major

• -Players-
  • 21875 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY

For me, I would say two things:

It's a FPS where reflexes and hand-eye are actually trumped by knowledge, strategy and tactics, so as an older player with no natural gifts for fast-twitch gaming, I dont feel like I have as low a ceiling in this game as I might in COD, CSGO, Overwatch etc...

Second, I tend to be motivated by self improvement.  The game is complex enough that I always feel like i have room to improve, and after 20k+ games, I feel like I am not remotely where I could get to in terms of game skills, so that keeps me going forward.

I have my ups and downs.  I've taken months off at a time when the game burns me out, but I keep coming back.  And to be honest, I mostly enjoy it.

1ST_AD_Abrams #16 Posted Aug 20 2019 - 13:08

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 3224 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

I am at 2500 plus battles and I don't know honestly where the threshold is for moving from beginner to non-new occurs.

For me initially it was the uniqueness of what is being simulated, tank warfare.  With all the RPG's and FPS online this was unique.  However as you get further in you will find the newness does run off as the tactics are the same ones that are always used.  Rarely will you see innovation in the tactics.  I give credit for the graphics as they are very impressive even with the tanks.

Sadly the warts start the day you step into a random battle.  These warts are both some oddities or questionable realism and the very toxic nature of those playing with you.  I am slowly getting tired of all the toxic nature of the game that is removing the fun factor for me.  I only keep playing so they can't gloat or feel they drove me away, I am determined to stay even if my stats show 0 in all categories.

Be aware that MM will become more and more a problem as you will find yourself sometimes matched against enemy tanks up to 2 tiers above you and sometimes 2 below you.  The match making (MM) in this game is awful.  You can almost predict the outcome before the counter stops counting and so you could end up playing 10-15 games where the result is all but predetermined by the MM system (some do dispute the fact but just being honest) and you see blowouts where the other team could have between 10-15 players left at the end of the battle and have destroyed all the other sides tanks.

I also try to keep playing hoping those who are spoiling the fun will eventually get bored and move on. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users