Would this fix "Pub 15:1 blow-outs"?

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

Poll: Remove XP penalty for the losing team? (69 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 100 battle in order to participate this poll.

Should Wargaming remove the XP penalty for the losing team?

1. Yes, the XP penalty hurts game play (19 votes [27.54%])

Percentage of vote: 27.54%

2. No, the XP penalty has a positive effect on game play (50 votes [72.46%])

Percentage of vote: 72.46%

Vote Hide poll

NavyGuns45 #1 Posted Aug 18 2019 - 18:07

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 47264 battles
  • [V--S] V--S
XVM is a thing, and a lot of players use it.  We all see the "GG" chat at the start of matches where XVM shows a large imbalance in team WN8.  Wargaming has continued to avoid attempts to balance player skill in Matchmaking.  Players give up or go AFK, especially when a blow-out loss is materializing.  I think it would definitely encourage players to keep trying if they removed the XP penalty for the losing team.  I think Wargaming put that into place with the thought that it would encourage people to try harder to achieve the win, but I can definitely see where it has the opposite effect.  Why continue to expend shells and repair kits when you're going to lose anyway?  If you remove this one disincentive to continue putting up a good fight, might it at least make some battles less uneven?  Yeah, you may still lose, but it may make it more of a challenge for the other team.

Spammy #2 Posted Aug 18 2019 - 18:11

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 67777 battles
  • [4HIM] 4HIM
Remove xp penalty...... akin to participation trophies

FrozenKemp #3 Posted Aug 18 2019 - 18:18

Major

• Players
  • 54167 battles
  • [8ARMY] 8ARMY
I don't think what you're describing has that much effect on blowouts. 

spud_tuber #4 Posted Aug 18 2019 - 18:18

Major

• Players
  • 59746 battles
There is no XP penalty for losing.  Instead, there is an XP bonus for winning.  

And frankly, it is a very good thing, as it encourages trying to win rather than just farm from the start. See the issues with FL being more about grinding than about winning, or that one season of ranked battles that was so bad because the importance of winning had been reduced so much.

Ndtm #5 Posted Aug 18 2019 - 18:20

Major

• Players
  • 17694 battles
Considering it's not something where it removes xp if you lose but adds if you win, so technically you get a bonus for winning but if you lose you get normal amount of exp :hiding:

DVK9 #6 Posted Aug 18 2019 - 18:22

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 26213 battles
  • [-TX-] -TX-

I have had games where XVM tells me easy win and we lost.

I have had the opposite where XVM said RIP and we one.

It all depends on HOW,players play.

Instead of  everyone going for individual glory , that maybe they would concentrate fire on a couple tanks taking those guns out of the game.

Arty doing counter battery instead of trying to kill the wheelie everyone wont shoot.

I throw the blame for this at the feet of WG. 

They came out with the missions and instead of working together everyone was off trying to complete their missions.

Then came the Sheriffs and everyone was going after the sheriff for 250 gold (15 cents worth.)

WG has been trying from the start to make it interesting but disruptive

Slone #7 Posted Aug 18 2019 - 19:33

Captain

• Players
  • 20260 battles
  • [DD-S] DD-S

View PostDVK9, on Aug 18 2019 - 12:22, said:

I have had games where XVM tells me easy win and we lost.

I have had the opposite where XVM said RIP and we one.

I believe the XVM chance to win is based on total WN8 for both teams. If so I think that is flawed, a much better indicator is the rating of the top tier tanks on your team. Better players in the best tanks has a MUCH better chance to win than, crap players at top tiers and unicoms at the bottom.

GeorgePreddy #8 Posted Aug 18 2019 - 19:36

Major

• Players
  • 14680 battles

View PostSpammy, on Aug 18 2019 - 14:11, said:

Remove xp penalty...... akin to participation trophies

View PostFrozenKemp, on Aug 18 2019 - 14:18, said:

I don't think what you're describing has that much effect on blowouts. 

View Postspud_tuber, on Aug 18 2019 - 14:18, said:

There is no XP penalty for losing. Instead, there is an XP bonus for winning.

And frankly, it is a very good thing, as it encourages trying to win rather than just farm from the start. See the issues with FL being more about grinding than about winning, or that one season of ranked battles that was so bad because the importance of winning had been reduced so much.

View PostNdtm, on Aug 18 2019 - 14:20, said:

Considering it's not something where it removes xp if you lose but adds if you win, so technically you get a bonus for winning but if you lose you get normal amount of exp :hiding:

ALL THE ABOVE !!

Denial__ #9 Posted Aug 18 2019 - 19:42

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 5315 battles
  • [LARRY] LARRY
How about they just ban XVM as a mod. All it does is hurt the game. Some players see the stats and give up, and a lot of average/below average players use it to XVM snipe. The statistical part of the mod should not be in the game for obvious reasons.

I_QQ_4_U #10 Posted Aug 18 2019 - 19:45

Major

• -Players-
  • 23597 battles
You get a bonus for winning, if you want more win more. This isn't T-ball. Have no idea how it would stop blowouts either, if anything it would make them worse since fewer would bother trying to win.

Edited by I_QQ_4_U, Aug 18 2019 - 19:46.

SystemRename177180002 #11 Posted Aug 18 2019 - 19:59

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 8 battles

View PostSlone, on Aug 18 2019 - 19:33, said:

I believe the XVM chance to win is based on total WN8 for both teams. If so I think that is flawed, a much better indicator is the rating of the top tier tanks on your team. Better players in the best tanks has a MUCH better chance to win than, crap players at top tiers and unicoms at the bottom.

Do you seriously have a picture of yourself as your avatar?

R_ArcWolf #12 Posted Aug 18 2019 - 20:02

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 11819 battles

View Postspud_tuber, on Aug 18 2019 - 18:18, said:

qfe

View PostDenial__, on Aug 18 2019 - 19:42, said:

How about they just ban XVM as a mod. All it does is hurt the game. Some players see the stats and give up, and a lot of average/below average players use it to XVM snipe. The statistical part of the mod should not be in the game for obvious reasons.

this is kinda why i stopped running XVM in battles, i only have it for in my garage & vehicle stats so i can see how i'm doing vs. the avg. From my personal experience, loading in to a battle seeing 9 red on my team and only 2 on the enemy team caused me to quite (mentally) before the battle began.

Kliphie #13 Posted Aug 18 2019 - 20:13

Major

• Players
  • 33170 battles
  • [GFLC] GFLC
One of the features of XVM is you can see who else is running XVM.  Its usually 3 players or so per team running it and most of the players I see post up a GG are not one of those 3.  

NavyGuns45 #14 Posted Aug 18 2019 - 20:26

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 47264 battles
  • [V--S] V--S
Put XVM aside, it's not the point of my question.  You folks are perfectly happy when you play very competitively but the team loses because people give up and your reward for playing your best is that the worst-performing player on the winning team still gets more XP than you did?  You don't think changing this to not penalize players who have quitter team mates wouldn't have a beneficial effect on chat toxicity?  I am not advocating for "everyone gets a trophy", people who roll over and give up should not get a trophy.  Giving someone an XP boost for being on a winning team even though they sat back to "protect arty" or botted seems more unfair to me.

R_ArcWolf #15 Posted Aug 18 2019 - 20:30

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 11819 battles

View PostNavyGuns45, on Aug 18 2019 - 20:26, said:

Put XVM aside, it's not the point of my question.  You folks are perfectly happy when you play very competitively but the team loses because people give up and your reward for playing your best is that the worst-performing player on the winning team still gets more XP than you did?  You don't think changing this to not penalize players who have quitter team mates wouldn't have a beneficial effect on chat toxicity?  I am not advocating for "everyone gets a trophy", people who roll over and give up should not get a trophy.  Giving someone an XP boost for being on a winning team even though they sat back to "protect arty" or botted seems more unfair to me.

I think of this game like i do sports. I want my team to win, but i know they will never win every game. Sure it sucks when the lose the championship, but it would have no meaning if the team that won 1st place and the team that came in last get the same trophy.

awildseaking #16 Posted Aug 18 2019 - 21:39

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 13446 battles
  • [NEET] NEET

View Postspud_tuber, on Aug 18 2019 - 12:18, said:

Top tier semantics there. Now go ahead and tell me how a penalty isn't a tax, 'is' doesn't mean is, and affirmative action isn't discriminatory.

As for the actual subject, yes, you are penalized by losing because you don't earn as much xp regardless of how well you play. OP brings up a valid point about excessive credit cost for trying to win. If you're losing and have not yet had to use consumables or premium ammo, the credit cost isn't worth it if you have no chance of winning. Often times, when I'm in a 1v10 or something absurd like that and I'm getting yoloed, I won't bother repairing or fixing fires. An extra shot isn't going to make up the cost, especially if I came into the game trying to win and brought large kits. Of course I never use auto extinguishers precisely because of the automatically wasted cost if a fire does occur, but that's just how antiquated this game is right now.

WoWS is once again moving in a positive direction while WoT lags behind. WG is removing premium consumables as well as the additional cost for them. The notion that you should have to grind more, play at a loss, or buy premium just to be on a level playing field with large kits, food, and a reasonable amount of gold is absurd and horribly p2w.

To address OPs problem, I would simply make consumables free. You shouldn't have to pay extra for mandatory features. Standard consumables should disappear except when you double up.

Edited by awildseaking, Aug 18 2019 - 21:57.

NavyGuns45 #17 Posted Aug 18 2019 - 21:56

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 47264 battles
  • [V--S] V--S
Sounds like the prevalent opinion is that winning is and should be emphasized, and I can agree with that.  The down side is that there are many players out there for which there is little incentive to continue to try when winning appears unobtainable.  I wish there was a way to change that, because it sucks being "penalized" when you have 1/3 of your team do no damage.

Das_Junka #18 Posted Aug 18 2019 - 22:11

Captain

• -Players-
  • 22030 battles
  • [ALERT] ALERT
What needs to be done is punishing bad players at top tiers who contribute little to nothing over the course of multiple games. The easiest way to do this to increase the repair bill and pay out more credits for damage/assist at tier X. If baddies start losing 100k-200k credits every game they are deadweight that will have an attrition effect over time. Meanwhile players who actually contribute could profit instead of losing more credits than the baddies do.

Flarvin #19 Posted Aug 18 2019 - 22:31

Major

• Players
  • 55080 battles

View PostKliphie, on Aug 18 2019 - 14:13, said:

One of the features of XVM is you can see who else is running XVM.  Its usually 3 players or so per team running it and most of the players I see post up a GG are not one of those 3.  

When I ran XVM, I noticed that also. 

XVM users are the minority.

And there are many reasons someone might post GG at a start of a match, without using XVM. 

R_ArcWolf #20 Posted Aug 18 2019 - 22:49

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 11819 battles

View PostFlarvin, on Aug 18 2019 - 22:31, said:

When I ran XVM, I noticed that also. 

XVM users are the minority.

And there are many reasons someone might post GG at a start of a match, without using XVM. 

like loading into a "open" map and seeing the enemy has 3 arty and 5 premium TDs

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users