Micro-Stuttering Video... Mouse to blame?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

BlackFive #1 Posted Aug 20 2019 - 05:23

Major

• Players
  • 35135 battles
  • [_E_] _E_

Playing WOT on my son's computer while I wait for parts on my new build.  Aside from the fact his system doesn't have quite the 'oomph' of my old system, it's pretty good.

But there's something weird about how the scenery pans when I use his comp that I never noticed on my box.  Specifically, when panning (moving the on-screen image by sliding the mouse) both in the SD client (really bad) and the HD client (noticeable), instead of showing smoothly scrolling imagery, its like seeing hundreds of still images stitched together.

He's pulling 70-90 fps with 40ms on Ultra settings.  So it should look butter smooth.  But it doesn't.  There's no juttering when the image is stationary, but on fast pans there is a noticeable skipping.

Only thing I can think might be causing this is that he's got a cheap wireless mouse.  Think that could be to blame?  Bad polling rate?

PTwr #2 Posted Aug 20 2019 - 07:54

Major

• Players
  • 45434 battles
  • [BITSA] BITSA

You can try moving camera around with arrow keys to test your theory.

In meantime, check if you have triple buffering, Vsync and such stuff enabled. 

leeuniverse #3 Posted Aug 20 2019 - 14:05

Major

• Players
  • 38646 battles
  • [LAMP] LAMP
In other words "disable" them to see if that fixes the problem.

Astralite #4 Posted Aug 20 2019 - 14:19

Captain

• Players
  • 25846 battles
You're indicating you have tearing when the camera moves, does he have vsync forced off? 60hz refresh rate? The likely has zero to do with the mouse. 

Unkempt40k #5 Posted Aug 20 2019 - 14:52

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 4083 battles
  • [0VER] 0VER
I had micro stutters and it was indeed due to my wireless mouse. My box was located near my router and the RF interference was most likely the culprit. I added a USB extension cable to my wireless mouse adapter and moved it away from the router. No issues since.

Siergen #6 Posted Aug 20 2019 - 15:14

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 9611 battles
  • [H_FUN] H_FUN
I was having similar issues at one point.  I was blaming the game until I started noticing the mouse cursor jerking a tiny amount when moving around in other apps, such as browsers.  I bought a new mouse and both issues disappeared.

UnitG2 #7 Posted Aug 20 2019 - 17:35

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 32143 battles

View PostPTwr, on Aug 19 2019 - 22:54, said:

You can try moving camera around with arrow keys to test your theory.

In meantime, check if you have triple buffering, Vsync and such stuff enabled. 

OK, Ive heard different takes on this. I dont have Vsync enabled (to avoid screen tearing? I cant remember) but I do have FPS capped at 60 (my monitor max refresh) through Aslains.

Why do you have Vsync "and such stuff" (?) enabled?

PTwr #8 Posted Aug 20 2019 - 21:55

Major

• Players
  • 45434 battles
  • [BITSA] BITSA

View PostUnitG2, on Aug 20 2019 - 16:35, said:

OK, Ive heard different takes on this. I dont have Vsync enabled (to avoid screen tearing? I cant remember) but I do have FPS capped at 60 (my monitor max refresh) through Aslains.

Why do you have Vsync "and such stuff" (?) enabled?

I have Vsync and stuff enabled because my hardware is strong enough to provide stable 60fps with all jingles enabled so I have no downsides to having it enabled ;)

Originally Vsync was made to synchronize frames with CRT beam, which "walked" through each pixel so without Vsync you could have new frame getting displayed while beam is in middle of its stroll. That's the origin of "fps should equal screen HZ" belief.

Theoretically you do not need it on LCD screens if you run in true fullscreen, but  windowed (or borderless fullscreen, which is still windowed) in some configuration can have some tearing for reasons I never bothered to google for.

Double/Triple buffering should give you better performance if your hardware is strong enough to draw faster than your fps, so depending on configuration it can hit performance negatively or positively.

Culprit, however, might not be game itself but rather some other software doing evil stuff with GPU. For example recently Chrome started giving me horrible fps jitters in battle while Netflix page was open (even with paused video) in multi-screen setup with game not in fullscreen. It was not a problem with lack of processing power but rather screen handling in windows, in this case switching to Firefox for streaming solved this issue. I also have seen various negative effects from various HUD utilities that display overlay while playing.

As it all depends on hardware/software/system/drivers/dust/stars/zodiac/vampires playing with toggles can give you stable configuration, but its a bit hard to summon ideal answer without knowing exact software/hardware configuration of PC. Heck, for all we know problems can even be caused by virus mining bitcoins on GPU...

By the way, you do not need mods to cap fps, its built in option.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users